As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So early on SoS seems like kind of a crapshoot. I've joined at least two Anjanath SoS quests hoping to farm for parts where the host just could not stop carting. Time just goes down the drain and it's a little frustrating. Hard to save people from themselves.

You'd think they'd play defensivly and let themselves get carried.

Meanwhile, joining in lategame Kirin SOSes was delightful. People using Lifepowders and knocking others out of stuns. Everyone setting bombs/etc on sleep. Communicating across English/JPN lines with stickers. Probably the happiest I've been playing with MHun randoms.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Evil MonkeyEvil MultifariousWolveSight
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/LLy5mrDRN9g

I made good time here despite me still getting greedy for hits. Also why is anjanath so thirsty?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    fRAWRst
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    So my constant expedition hunting of Legaina, Los, and Blos never opened investigations. But killing them for their stuff made the vale monsters trivial.

• texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Has anyone found a way to farm for Gem's yet? I'm finding alot of final gear requires them...but i have no idea how to get them other than kill X 12 or more times.....is there a specific part to break? Or trap vs kill?

Dronus86
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Speaking of farming, what's the best way to farm decorations?

Dronus86JustTeeSeidkona
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    texasheat wrote: »
    Has anyone found a way to farm for Gem's yet? I'm finding alot of final gear requires them...but i have no idea how to get them other than kill X 12 or more times.....is there a specific part to break? Or trap vs kill?

Investigations with a gold reward have been my best results, so far.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Took out both Rathalos and Diabolos last night, first try. That's probably not a huge achievement or anything, but I'm still proud of it. Handler asks "don't you want to head back to camp and prepare?" No, I want to hunt down *this particular* Rathalos that just tried to fry us to a crisp. Gonna show it a thing or two about bows and proper respect for the people who carry 'em.

SeidkonaPolaritieBrodyFawst
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So early on SoS seems like kind of a crapshoot. I've joined at least two Anjanath SoS quests hoping to farm for parts where the host just could not stop carting. Time just goes down the drain and it's a little frustrating. Hard to save people from themselves.

I've found if you can swing it, its better to do optional sos's for monsters you want to farm than assignments. Assignments can be that persons first attempt, optional means they have normally gotten it at least once.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    JustTeeElki
    Arch wrote: »
    Speaking of farming, what's the best way to farm decorations?

Tempered hunts of non elder dragons, they come up in the purple rewards pretty much guaranteed.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

gems are the rarest item for most monsters

best way for gems (coming from past mon huns)

find a good investigation with as many gold rewards as possible (easy multiple mons one help to, to reduce hp and stagger/cut threshholds)

break face - back - tail. Always cut tail, most gems used to only come from tail carves (pl8 runs anyone?)

there used to be a better chance of getting gems from carves vs capturing, hence why no one ever cap'd deviljho or styg zino

however unsure of that still applies. maybe try a mix of cap / kill, but always make sure to break face, break back, and carve tail

and then pray

J3qcnBP.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I can see my personal loop to just run expeditions to get tempered hunts.

It can replace the 100's of hours I spent charm running.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Arch
    Also, since I didn't have the energy to farm Lavasioth to check last night (and definitely didn't have the energy to farm Black Diablos....)

Does anyone know yet how much damage Spread/Power Shots and Normal shots skills give to their respective arrow types?

I know that Piercing Shots specifically adds either 10 or 20% depending on rank, and Airborne adds 10%

I'm assuming that Spread and Normal Shot skills add 10% but I have no idea

Imperfect wrote: »
    Took out both Rathalos and Diabolos last night, first try. That's probably not a huge achievement or anything, but I'm still proud of it. Handler asks "don't you want to head back to camp and prepare?" No, I want to hunt down *this particular* Rathalos that just tried to fry us to a crisp. Gonna show it a thing or two about bows and proper respect for the people who carry 'em.

I was kinda mad First Wyverian questioning my place on the food chain while i was wearing Los armor.

Man I have Lavasioth. Its an unfun fight, I will never hunt one solo, always a great hunt for the reduced hp.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Is anybody on PS4 playing this on multiple systems? I've got one for each TV thanks to friends who upgraded to Pro versions. Do you have to do the upload save file shuffle, or is everything tied to your PSN account? If it's the former, do your loadouts and options come with?
    Preacher wrote: »
    Other players have always been able to mount monsters, this game just makes it a lot easier.

Also unlocked my blast and ice dualies. Or as I call them "fuck you diablos, go die in your hole alone."

The blast set in particular is really amazing. I'm sitting there needing one piece of Odo armor to get the 4-piece, and I need to farm either 2 hardbones or 1 gem. But then the rarity 7 blast blades are right there to make, they're just going to eat up all my mats. I threw caution to the wind, then went back at Odo with my upgrades.

He basically looked like he tripped and fell, then forgot to get up. They halved my time, basically. And he was kind enough to drop the gem in a bargain for his brothers lives, or something. I got that 4-piece and the upgraded blast DBs within the span of ten minutes, and then shit got real.

I like that you can really feel your upgrades in this game. It's still just a number on a character sheet, but it makes a noticeable difference, and I feel like that's hard to pull off.

PSN: thewheelz
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    People keep saying that the wyverians give them weapon stats. But every time I talk to them in every map they just say something cryptic and give me an item. And like i've already beat xeno, so it's not like i'm locked behind story stuff.

Bubs wrote: »
    Is anybody on PS4 playing this on multiple systems? I've got one for each TV thanks to friends who upgraded to Pro versions. Do you have to do the upload save file shuffle, or is everything tied to your PSN account? If it's the former, do your loadouts and options come with?
    Other players have always been able to mount monsters, this game just makes it a lot easier.

Also unlocked my blast and ice dualies. Or as I call them "fuck you diablos, go die in your hole alone."

The blast set in particular is really amazing. I'm sitting there needing one piece of Odo armor to get the 4-piece, and I need to farm either 2 hardbones or 1 gem. But then the rarity 7 blast blades are right there to make, they're just going to eat up all my mats. I threw caution to the wind, then went back at Odo with my upgrades.

He basically looked like he tripped and fell, then forgot to get up. They halved my time, basically. And he was kind enough to drop the gem in a bargain for his brothers lives, or something. I got that 4-piece and the upgraded blast DBs within the span of ten minutes, and then shit got real.

I like that you can really feel your upgrades in this game. It's still just a number on a character sheet, but it makes a noticeable difference, and I feel like that's hard to pull off.

Yeah like armor upgrades only like 10 points, but I can say for sure you fucking feel those 10 points when you survive a kill move or getting combo'd.

Man last night I was having a bitch of a time with a Kushala. I'd killed like 3 earlier and I figured "Maybe I was just being too lax" but I swear it felt like it was hitting harder and staying alive longer, finally bring the fucker down for good and on the results I get that's it a gold crown large one, well there was my fucking problem!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    People keep saying that the wyverians give them weapon stats. But every time I talk to them in every map they just say something cryptic and give me an item. And like i've already beat xeno, so it's not like i'm locked behind story stuff.

I have no idea how it decides on their messages. I've gotten cryptic bits, I've gotten stats.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    A little thing about your later game fights: don't forget to switch your cat to something more useful than plunderblade, at least on the first attempts.

Health booster and lifepowders can be clutch for keeping your teammates alive as well.

Polaritie
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    nah

nothing is more desireable than plunderblade

(im joking u right)

J3qcnBP.png
    Qanamil wrote: »
    A little thing about your later game fights: don't forget to switch your cat to something more useful than plunderblade, at least on the first attempts.

Health booster and lifepowders can be clutch for keeping your teammates alive as well.

Vitality mantle can be a lifesaver too.

Preachervagrant_windsLord_Asmodeus
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I wish the system to get tempered monster quests was easier. I have a quest for a rathian and an anjanath but they're both tier one so give basically useless rewards, and I can't figure out how to get tier 2 stuff.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Bubs wrote: »

I have to upload my save file every time I am done on a console and make sure I download it again if I'm playing on my other console. Afaik everything comes with - I haven't had any issues yet but I do wish that the PS4 handled saves the way the Xbox does - where it just checks for the newest version everytime you launch the game and uploads constantly instead of overnight or whatever dumb bullshit the PS4 does for cloud saves.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    ArchSatsumomo
    Man I have Lavasioth. Its an unfun fight, I will never hunt one solo, always a great hunt for the reduced hp.

I went into it all puffed up and proud and carted twice (I'm not proud of that) before sighing deeply and actually paying attention to what was happening.

I want his pants, though!

Polaritie wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »

Vitality mantle can be a lifesaver too.

Love the vit mantle. Its so nice to be able to start off a fight not having to pot. Especially if you're getting a feel for the creature.

And this morning I maxed meowlatavs so I've now maxed all equipment and my palico is now max level. I think I've played this a little bit...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Wow that Negrigante fight is bullshit. I do not like these fights that end up in stupid confined places especially with these monsters that can chain combo you in two hits. That isn't fun. . .in the slightest. Nearly 300 points in defense, Mega Armorskin and Defense (L) buff from the canteen and you're saying the guy can STILL two shot stunlock me? Yea not fun.

. . .also traps don't seem to work? You can paralyze the guy, but getting him stuck in a shock or pitfall trap is no go for some "game" reason.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Ok, well i'ma need to know what a tempered investigation is then....Not even sure i have ever got one of those....

edited February 2018
    ED! wrote: »
    Wow that Negrigante fight is bullshit. I do not like these fights that end up in stupid confined places especially with these monsters that can chain combo you in two hits. That isn't fun. . .in the slightest. Nearly 300 points in defense, Mega Armorskin and Defense (L) buff from the canteen and you're saying the guy can STILL two shot stunlock me? Yea not fun.

. . .also traps don't seem to work? You can paralyze the guy, but getting him stuck in a shock or pitfall trap is no go for some "game" reason.

Pretty sure the nest walls come down to give you more space. And no, some monsters are immune to traps. Especially elder dragons.

Be glad it isn't also immune to status (though thats usually only the gigantic ones)

Polaritie on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Some monsters, esp. Elder dragons, are trap immune or trap immune while in certain enrage/buffed states.

I ate an engineer
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Ok, well i'ma need to know what a tempered investigation is then....Not even sure i have ever got one of those....

Gotta clear all the assigned quests and reach HR 29 first, then you get a chance to fight double bombers and unlock them.

I ate an engineer

I'll say this again, and keep advocating for it. Do not fight nergy in his nest. Wake his ass up and then run back to the previous area. He'll give chase and you'll get to fight him in a larger area, with slopes to get jump attacks.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Hahnsoo1vagrant_winds
    Being killed in 2 back to back hits is a staple in Monster Hunter.

vagrant_windsWraithverge
    Honestly world has been pretty nice to me at times. Like solo I've been stunned and set up for the spike finish, but the target will go after my palico instead.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    milskiJustTeeSwashbucklerXX
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I'm chasing around Anjanath aiming for a gem because I wanna get the final Anjanath Greatsword, what a walloper that thing will be

And I think the loot system works so that I get a separate chance for carving its tail, then as bonuses for cutting off its tail and breaking its head, three chances when I carve it, and I think multiple chances when I capture it. Does that sound right? I think it's right. I think those are all the chances for getting a gem, before counting in Investigation bonuses.

So I'm chasing Anjanath all over the Ancient Forest, just greatswording it all over the place so I can keep going for its tail (though I think it might be a better use of my time to just break his head over and over with the hammer, I'll need to test). And I cannot chase this thing without Bazzy showing up and ruining the party. Bazzy! Get outta here Bazzy! I ain't here to fight you!

On about the fourth hunt when Bazzy showed up it was while I was trying to capture the Anjanath as it fled. Anja charged at Bazzy as I was laying down the Pitfall trap, which Bazzy immediately rushed into as Anja ran. In a fit of pique I unloaded a True Charged Slash directly onto Bazzy's face, which broke its head. Instead of guarding, I sheathed my sword and tried to run. I got carted for my trouble. Fuckin' Bazzy.

So I find Anjanath, and capturing him in his nest is kind of a nightmare but whatever. I get him! And then, in the quest rewards, I see it! A gem!
    Bazelgeuse gem. For breaking its head.

God damn you, Bazzy!
    I made my level 2 earplugs charm, I can't even be mad

dN0T6ur.png
    PreacherPolaritieIron WeaselPLAdestroyah87furlion
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i was fighting xeno last night and 100% should have died to his fireball while dazed but my palico happened to walk in front of the shot and it exploded right in front of me, i woke up, and healed.

p amusing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Hahnsoo1
    I stumbled into Plunderblade gadget. I hear it's awesome. I've liked all the Palico gadgets so far so whatever.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Can you break parts over and over? Or are you talking about multiple break states? As in, a certain part can be broken twice?

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Ha! Killed the Todi-kadachi. No carts this time.

Meanwhile I still have no clue what you guys are talking about killing and frankly I'm terrified.

FuriousJodoEvil MultifariousQanamilFawstHermano
    Renzo wrote: »
    Can you break parts over and over? Or are you talking about multiple break states? As in, a certain part can be broken twice?

Nah most monsters can't be broken multiple times outside of like radoban with his bone armor, or barroth when he muds up again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i was fighting xeno last night and 100% should have died to his fireball while dazed but my palico happened to walk in front of the shot and it exploded right in front of me, i woke up, and healed.

p amusing.

F

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    milskiArch