As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! GO POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Well, the whole point of "clarifying" Patches is that "play a card from your deck" doesn't intuitively have the same weight as "draw a card" does to most people, even though the actual impact of the two is very close.

Obviously Patches is more like "play a card from your deck," because that's almost literally what the card text says :P

i remember when people thought that "deck thinning" was the main value of patches

it literally never made a difference in that respect :^)

patches is great because he creates explosive openers. you literally get another free minion on t1. that shit's busted for aggro. you can go full on aggression, you can use him to trade out or ping a divine shield (or trigger a secret), you can play him out as a 2/2 with Southsea Captain...

couple that with a relevant tribe, add in board buffs and token synergy cards (MotL/PotW, Flametongue Totem, Evolve, Darkshire Councilman, Crypt Lord, etc etc etc), mix vigorously with a Prince Keleseth, and finally top with a delicious Corridor Creeper and you've got yourself a recipe for The Aggro Cocktail

patches literally got better over time

that shit's crazy

This is a troll post right?

no?

how does removing one card from your deck matter in an aggro deck which isn't going to even go through most of the deck in the first place (and ends games at like turn 7?)

this is like the fel reaver argument all over again with "top of the deck" and "bottom of the deck"

it doesn't matter, it's not going to make a difference

omg it's totally different from Fel Reaver

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Well, the whole point of "clarifying" Patches is that "play a card from your deck" doesn't intuitively have the same weight as "draw a card" does to most people, even though the actual impact of the two is very close.

Obviously Patches is more like "play a card from your deck," because that's almost literally what the card text says :P

i remember when people thought that "deck thinning" was the main value of patches

patches is great because he creates explosive openers. you literally get another free minion on t1. that shit's busted for aggro. you can go full on aggression, you can use him to trade out or ping a divine shield (or trigger a secret), you can play him out as a 2/2 with Southsea Captain...

couple that with a relevant tribe, add in board buffs and token synergy cards (MotL/PotW, Flametongue Totem, Evolve, Darkshire Councilman, Crypt Lord, etc etc etc), mix vigorously with a Prince Keleseth, and finally top with a delicious Corridor Creeper and you've got yourself a recipe for The Aggro Cocktail

that shit's crazy

no?

how does removing one card from your deck matter in an aggro deck which isn't going to even go through most of the deck in the first place (and ends games at like turn 7?)

this is like the fel reaver argument all over again with "top of the deck" and "bottom of the deck"

The only person I ever saw complain that "thinning" was hugely overblown was Reynad. To which I wrote a pretty extensive rebuttal post around the time he released his video. Thinning is not the most powerful element of the card - you're absolutely right about that. But removal of a card from your deck increases your win percentage ever so slightly and has a tangible effect. It is simply untrue to say that you will never realize the card from Patches. Given a normal Gaussian distribution you'll realize a card on average by your 7th or 8th draw. Most aggro games don't go that long sure, but certainly some do. Plus, Patches hasn't been used exclusively in pure face decks either. He features prominently in Tempo Rogue, for example, a deck which routinely goes to turn 8-9, and is likely realizing a card in a decent percentage of it's games.

While the effect is not large, it is also not zero, and likely contributes an extra 1-1.5% additional win rate against non-Patches decks. Which doesn't seem like much, but think about how much tighter you have to play to increase your win rate by 2%. It matters a lot as your start approaching your maximal win rate. So I guess, the real disagreement that we have is over the idea that it never makes a difference, because it really does.

Roz on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Hey, shiny new app splash graphics on the main screen over on EU servers, and a free Un'Goro pack, for the start of the Worlds.

Cool.

I expect it'll be up at midnight PT for North American servers. It might be a daily login reward thing, given how long the Worlds go. We'll see.
    Can confirm that it just kicked in at midnight PST on NA. Cool.

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Hearthstone club today! Missed last week cuz of the snow day.
    The kids have (mostly) unlocked all 9 classes so today we did our first deck building lesson. I taught them the joys of aggro decks :D

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Which lesson is ragequitting?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    played a bunch of the brawl to finish a warlock quest I happened to have (got 5 wins. none were warlock, I don't think there's a warlock deck in the braawl, but I got 5 warlock wins. okay.)

and then I got a 'win 5 brawl' quest. excellent.

there are two mage decks, 2 rogue decks, 2 warrior decks, then a druid, a hunter, a shaman... I didn't see any pally, priest, or warlock but I didn't play infinite games, maybe 20

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Priest effectively didn't exist back when those tournament decks were current

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm playing brawl warlock right now. It's zoo.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I feel like the other benefit with Patches being pulled from the deck in terms of deck thinning is that it guarantees you’re not going to topdeck a stonetusk boar.

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Patches as deck thinning does make a difference because it means you draw your spells/Tarim/Leeroy/weapons faster. It's a small percent in the early game but over hundreds of games, yes you do have better chances of getting the shit you need to close games. Deck thinning for 30 card decks is def relevant

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Hey @Muffinatron would it be possible to extend the deck sharer to include a deck name? Because, if I link my Zoo Deck I want people to know that I named it "Kevin Owens".

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Priest effectively didn't exist back when those tournament decks were current

This is true. Also, the tournament decks were current up to the yogg nerf with pavel in 2016. Until Razakas priest, priest has not been a great class.

There are a lot of mages and rogues and druids though.

Also, as someone who primarily played priest, I'll be happy when their time in the sun is over.

furbat on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    So in the brawl, is your opponent's name the player who used that in HTC?

Because my opponent's name showed up as Pavel, who used that Shaman deck.
    Kinda neat if so.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Dog apparently went to the airport without his passport, missed his flight, and now can't go to Amsterdam this weekend :(

Fuuuuuuck that sucks, poor guy.

That's gotta feel worse than Toast sleeping in during PAX and getting disqualified from the tournament.

I know what it feels like forgetting your passport though. I once went to another country (unplanned) without a passport. That country didn't care that i didn't have one to go inside. It was coming back to the US without a passport that proved... challenging.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    So in the brawl, is your opponent's name the player who used that in HTC?

Because my opponent's name showed up as Pavel, who used that Shaman deck.
    Kinda neat if so.

Your name is also the pro's name as well.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    anyone watching HTC? That Hoej/Orange game holy fuck

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Just got a notification on my phone, free Un'Goro pack for logging in today in celebration of HCT.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

that shit's crazy

no?

The only person I ever saw complain that "thinning" was hugely overblown was Reynad. To which I wrote a pretty extensive rebuttal post around the time he released his video. Thinning is not the most powerful element of the card - you're absolutely right about that. But removal of a card from your deck increases your win percentage ever so slightly and has a tangible effect. It is simply untrue to say that you will never realize the card from Patches. Given a normal Gaussian distribution you'll realize a card on average by your 7th or 8th draw. Most aggro games don't go that long sure, but certainly some do. Plus, Patches hasn't been used exclusively in pure face decks either. He features prominently in Tempo Rogue, for example, a deck which routinely goes to turn 8-9, and is likely realizing a card in a decent percentage of it's games.

While the effect is not large, it is also not zero, and likely contributes an extra 1-1.5% additional win rate against non-Patches decks. Which doesn't seem like much, but think about how much tighter you have to play to increase your win rate by 2%. It matters a lot as your start approaching your maximal win rate. So I guess, the real disagreement that we have is over the idea that it never makes a difference, because it really does.

Okay, well first off, thank you for explaining that. I legitimately did not know.

But secondly, I really don't think it's cool to chalk up my post as "a troll post".

I have never ever ever made troll posts on here. Never.

It's pretty disingenuous to call my post a "troll post" simply because I didn't understand the logistics behind the card.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    anyone watching HTC? That Hoej/Orange game holy fuck

I am now! But that match is long over :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    edit: oops wrong thread

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

that shit's crazy

no?

Okay, well first off, thank you for explaining that. I legitimately did not know.

But secondly, I really don't think it's cool to chalk up my post as "a troll post".

It's pretty disingenuous to call my post a "troll post" simply because I didn't understand the logistics behind the card.

It looked like a troll post because, as inantp made light of, this conversation has been had infinite times and will keep being had until the sun goes cold. So it wasn't expected that you actually wouldn't be aware of the context.

Also you have absolutely made troll posts before mr. :^)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

that shit's crazy

no?

It looked like a troll post because, as inantp made light of, this conversation has been had infinite times and will keep being had until the sun goes cold. So it wasn't expected that you actually wouldn't be aware of the context.

Also you have absolutely made troll posts before mr. :^)

I've made sarcastic posts.

Never troll posts.

I stand by that.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Dog apparently went to the airport without his passport, missed his flight, and now can't go to Amsterdam this weekend :(

That's gotta feel worse than Toast sleeping in during PAX and getting disqualified from the tournament.

I know what it feels like forgetting your passport though. I once went to another country (unplanned) without a passport. That country didn't care that i didn't have one to go inside. It was coming back to the US without a passport that proved... challenging.

In 2015 my wife and I took a train from Bruge to Amsterdam. When we got there and the hotel asked for ID, my wife immediately realized she'd left her passport in the safe of our Bruge hotel. We were flying out like 2 days later so we were a little concerned, to say the least.

I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to traveling with my passport, but it's an easy thing to forget or think you have and then don't. Feel bad for the guy. I wonder if he tried to get another flight but none of them would get him there on time.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure a significant number of people are just auto-piloting on raza and kazakus given the only possible ways to mess with it are The Darkness (bad) and extremely specific Psychic Screams
    Weasel_Tunneler%2849758%29.png

Weasel Deck is bae. I don't use that word lightly, it causes me physical pain as a Crotchety Old Man, but it is true.
    Weasel Deck got me from 20 to 17. Only 1 rank away from my personal career best.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Well I keep up my track record of only getting 1 pack from my 'Choose Your Champion' picks.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Well I keep up my track record of only getting 1 pack from my 'Choose Your Champion' picks.

Found the Kolento pick - me too!

I turned it on when he was winning 2 - 1 and thought he had a good game going against Jason's Priest. I was wrong.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Free Un'Goro pack on log-in today, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday peeps.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

that shit's crazy

no?

Yeah, my bad about that Dibby. That was rude. I couldn't tell if you were serious because of the :^)

I thought you might be poking fun at the Reynad video, but there are more respectful ways to ask that. I'm sorry.

Roz on
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Got Elise from my free pack. Does she fit anywhere any more?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I apologize for cursing you in getting only one pack. It seems that no matter who I pick, they always go out early... Even if I do or do not listen to the forums.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »

I expect we'll see her come back into favor after Razanduin and Jade are gone. It will likely give grindy control decks more breathing room.

• Options

that shit's crazy

no?

Yeah, my bad about that Dibby. That was rude. I couldn't tell if you were serious because of the :^)

I thought you might be poking fun at the Reynad video, but there are more respectful ways to ask that. I'm sorry.

It's cool.

I included the ":^)" because I thought that just putting "it literally never made a difference in that respect" without the smiley came across as being... I dunno, a certain way or something.

But also because, well, within the context of me not knowing/understanding the logistics, I believed it to be true? And I remembered people being very adamant that it was the other way, and that the entire value of Patches was from that alone and not the explosive openers, so I was kiiiinda poking fun at that....? Anyway, you get the point now, I hope.

I will fully admit I was in the wrong as well!

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »
    Patches as deck thinning does make a difference because it means you draw your spells/Tarim/Leeroy/weapons faster. It's a small percent in the early game but over hundreds of games, yes you do have better chances of getting the shit you need to close games. Deck thinning for 30 card decks is def relevant

but how does it compare to the % risk of drawing a relatively blank 1/1 charge for 1?

• Options

that shit's crazy

no?

It's cool.

I included the ":^)" because I thought that just putting "it literally never made a difference in that respect" without the smiley came across as being... I dunno, a certain way or something.

But also because, well, within the context of me not knowing/understanding the logistics, I believed it to be true? And I remembered people being very adamant that it was the other way, and that the entire value of Patches was from that alone and not the explosive openers, so I was kiiiinda poking fun at that....? Anyway, you get the point now, I hope.

I will fully admit I was in the wrong as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ViGtLkEDzo

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    narwhal wrote: »

but how does it compare to the % risk of drawing a relatively blank 1/1 charge for 1?

I don't have the time or the probability math needed to figure out the accurate number, but I'd say that's mitigated by having 2-4 times as many cards in your deck that will pull Patches compared 1 card to draw Patches

• Options

In 2015 my wife and I took a train from Bruge to Amsterdam. When we got there and the hotel asked for ID, my wife immediately realized she'd left her passport in the safe of our Bruge hotel. We were flying out like 2 days later so we were a little concerned, to say the least.

I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to traveling with my passport, but it's an easy thing to forget or think you have and then don't. Feel bad for the guy. I wonder if he tried to get another flight but none of them would get him there on time.

In that short notice, the other flights were apparently ridiculously expensive

Steam profile
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular

I expect we'll see her come back into favor after Razanduin and Jade are gone. It will likely give grindy control decks more breathing room.

Not as long as Rin is here.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Yilias wrote: »

Not as long as Rin is here.

I think Rin's too unreliable to shove control out of the meta (assuming Control Warlock still exists after the rotation, too; losing Mistress of Mixtures and N'Zoth is non-trivial). If you can't get her down quickly (and ideally Dark Ritual her so that she can't be silenced or stolen) and start sealing immediately, Devouring their deck ends up not mattering much. Should keep Dead Man's Hand Warrior from being a thing really though.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    He got rolled pretty hard, not much you can do when your opponent just has the nuts

This discussion has been closed.