As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Crimson Days: Take Another Little Piece of my Heart Emote, Baybeh

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Trojan35 wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Most of these I'm neutral on or prefer. Only exceptions are the mismatched fireteam sizes, which I agree is unfortunate, and the juggler thing, because it's made up.

Has dmg or cozmo confirmed juggler isn't real? Sure does feel like it exists to me in PvP, so if it's not a specific juggler mechanic I wouldn't be surprised if it's "not working as intended". I can get 1 kill per clip with my Antiope and still run out of ammo before any primary drops.

I'll stop citing it if it's proven incorrect though. I believe they haven't addressed it because it *is* happening in some way. It's even on the Bungie Plz list on reddit and has multiple front-page posts with no bungie response.

I mean, you can kill regular enemies in PVE and get drops for both types of weapon, in that sense it isn't real. It might be in PVP... I die too often for that to ever really be relevant

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Most of these I'm neutral on or prefer. Only exceptions are the mismatched fireteam sizes, which I agree is unfortunate, and the juggler thing, because it's made up.

Has dmg or cozmo confirmed juggler isn't real? Sure does feel like it exists to me in PvP, so if it's not a specific juggler mechanic I wouldn't be surprised if it's "not working as intended". I can get 1 kill per clip with my Antiope and still run out of ammo before any primary drops.
    You're running out of ammo in pvp?
    I'll stop citing it if it's proven incorrect though.
    I don't think it works that way

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it isn't real in the sense that you have to kill things with your secondary to get primary ammo and that's the only way it will drop

but it is absolutely the case that if i kill a bunch of things with my primary, primary ammo drops less than if i switch and kill things with my secondary

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    The hardest pill to swallow with D2 and its lack of success is how badly bunchie failed to leverage the successes of D1. So many good things implemented in y2/3 that didn't make it to D2.

They had the foundation there to really move forwards and just didn't.

With development schedules being what they are it was ever going to be thus. The problem is at least as much expectation as it is implementation.

Get some Buddhism up in here, tame the wanting ghost.

This is, to a certain degree, baloney. Decisions like no Dead Ghosts, no Strike scoring, no choice of Story or Strike missions to run, and no quest page were either examples of obtuse stupidity or catastrophic rushing on game development. Decisions like ability timers and weapon system were just an own goal on a Bungie KEY TENET: make sure the game feel is great in short spurts.

Everything except dead ghosts and a choice of missions to rerun were innovations of TTK and beyond which came after the design and development of D2 was already well underway. The quests page, at least insofar as it existed prior to TTK is basically a sidegrade into the milestone system.

I can't speak to either of those as design choices, except that the former is something I miss, and the latter I wonder how much was ever used for anything except farming (and other than going back to look at the worm, I can't really see the appeal of), and the philosophy seems to be against the need for the kind of farming we once did.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Chanus wrote: »
    it isn't real in the sense that you have to kill things with your secondary to get primary ammo and that's the only way it will drop

but it is absolutely the case that if i kill a bunch of things with my primary, primary ammo drops less than if i switch and kill things with my secondary
    You're sure that's not just you using kinetic ammo faster than you're getting it?
    e: I mean like, using kinetic faster than you're getting it without there needing to be some decrease to the rate at which it drops

cB557 on
  • Options
    On the other hand, I felt pretty proud of myself for running out of farting lion ammo last night

Also for getting farting lion kills

That thing is difficult to use

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

You're sure that's not just you using kinetic ammo faster than you're getting it?
    e: I mean like, using kinetic faster than you're getting it without there needing to be some decrease to the rate at which it drops

i mean i only ever come near running out of ammo if i don't switch guns

so maybe?

but it seems unlikely, given how utterly reliable a way to get ammo it is

• Options
    On the other hand, I felt pretty proud of myself for running out of farting lion ammo last night

Recently did some stuff with it as a Devourlock with Winter's Guile. Was fun, I should do it again sometime.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    ObiFett - not a joke, genuinely curious - can I see ObiCritic rankings for the top 10 games of either 2017 or 2016-17? I need a larger sample size. Also, your metrics match up really closely with what mine would be, except that I would have RoI lower than everything except maybe HoW.

I didn't play any of metacritic's top 10 games for any platform last year so the best I can do is just list off some of the games I've put plenty of time into over the past year:

Game: Initial Review (Current Review if changed)
    Monster Hunter World:   90
    Subnautica:             87
    Battlefront 2:          47 (84)
    Paladins:               71
    Mass Effect: Andromeda: 80 (57)
    The Division:           72 (80)
    Total War: Warhammer:   91
    Pillars of Eternity:    89
    Heroes of the Storm:    80

• Options
    I think that the replacement rate of any single type of ammo is less than the usage rate?

But less than the replacement rate across two kinds of ammo, for the most part.

Of course, Calus demonstrates that the tuning there is for a sort of play other than "All the shooting, all the time"

• Options

Recently did some stuff with it as a Devourlock with Winter's Guile. Was fun, I should do it again sometime.

I am trying to branch out after crimson doubles. Play something other than my usual: Juggernaut Striker w/Synthoceps, ...one of the Golden Gunner ways with Foot Racer, and Devour voidlock with Nezarac's Sin

And also use some combination beyond than Antiope-D and a precision archetype autorifle

I do love the feeling of chaining Antiope kills though

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I thought that was an overt design choice. Didn't know it was a conspiracy thing.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The hardest pill to swallow with D2 and its lack of success is how badly bunchie failed to leverage the successes of D1. So many good things implemented in y2/3 that didn't make it to D2.

With development schedules being what they are it was ever going to be thus. The problem is at least as much expectation as it is implementation.

This is, to a certain degree, baloney. Decisions like no Dead Ghosts, no Strike scoring, no choice of Story or Strike missions to run, and no quest page were either examples of obtuse stupidity or catastrophic rushing on game development. Decisions like ability timers and weapon system were just an own goal on a Bungie KEY TENET: make sure the game feel is great in short spurts.

Everything except dead ghosts and a choice of missions to rerun were innovations of TTK and beyond which came after the design and development of D2 was already well underway. The quests page, at least insofar as it existed prior to TTK is basically a sidegrade into the milestone system.

I can't speak to either of those as design choices, except that the former is something I miss, and the latter I wonder how much was ever used for anything except farming (and other than going back to look at the worm, I can't really see the appeal of), and the philosophy seems to be against the need for the kind of farming we once did.

The guys who made Taken King WERE the guys who made 2 though. If it was good enough for TTK, clearly it should be good enough for 2. I think rushing is somewhat believable but it's also pathetic that they ran in place for 2 years to get to a slightly worse place than mere game updates to their previous work.

• Options
    Well the only thing in your list that was in the initial release of TTK was a Quest page. And that is, as mentioned, significantly crossed over with the milestone system and its interface.

• Options
    veritastalpaveritastalpa Registered User regular

Development of D2 didn't really start until the same time TTK was in dev, and was mostly focused on finishing D1 content that got pushed to D2. It didn't really swing into full until TTK was done. There was pre work being done before that, but stomping over that at the last minute never stopped anyone there before.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, there is nobody at Activision that is happy with Destiny numbers now. Destiny is supposed to be one of those long tail games as service thing and on the current trajectory that will simply not happen.

It isn't going to do anything to Bungie immediately but they're going to lose leverage with Activision and have already taken a huge reputation hit.

The bigger concern right now is probably the employee turnover. They have lost or gotten rid of a lot of the people who got things done and made the studio what it was. Then replaced them with unknowns.

It is almost to the point where it is Bungie in name only.

This is always true though. A company name has to be more then the people to really survive. It's company culture that keeps a company and their practices alive. It's having a process and an atmosphere that does good things and bringing people in and basically indoctrinating them in that culture.

I think Blizzard is a good example of this. Blizzard has had a ton of turn-over but it's still very much Blizzard in most ways.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    ObiFett wrote: »
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    ObiFett - not a joke, genuinely curious - can I see ObiCritic rankings for the top 10 games of either 2017 or 2016-17? I need a larger sample size. Also, your metrics match up really closely with what mine would be, except that I would have RoI lower than everything except maybe HoW.

I didn't play any of metacritic's top 10 games for any platform last year so the best I can do is just list off some of the games I've put plenty of time into over the past year:

Game: Initial Review (Current Review if changed)
    Monster Hunter World:   90
    Subnautica:             87
    Battlefront 2:          47 (84)
    Paladins:               71
    Mass Effect: Andromeda: 80 (57)
    The Division:           72 (80)
    Total War: Warhammer:   91
    Pillars of Eternity:    89
    Heroes of the Storm:    80

Thank you. Very cool. That's what I meant, btw - ten things you played and liked, not your opinion on Metacritic's top stuff.

New thread incoming.

Edit: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/218392/destiny-2-march-6v6-ib-returns-unique-nightfall-rewards-fireteam-on-your-radar/p1?new=1

Take it!! TAKE ANOTHER LITTLE PIECEAMAHEARTTEMOOTEEBAYABEYYYYAHH

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    veritastalpaveritastalpa Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, there is nobody at Activision that is happy with Destiny numbers now. Destiny is supposed to be one of those long tail games as service thing and on the current trajectory that will simply not happen.

It isn't going to do anything to Bungie immediately but they're going to lose leverage with Activision and have already taken a huge reputation hit.

The bigger concern right now is probably the employee turnover. They have lost or gotten rid of a lot of the people who got things done and made the studio what it was. Then replaced them with unknowns.

This is always true though. A company name has to be more then the people to really survive. It's company culture that keeps a company and their practices alive. It's having a process and an atmosphere that does good things and bringing people in and basically indoctrinating them in that culture.

I think Blizzard is a good example of this. Blizzard has had a ton of turn-over but it's still very much Blizzard in most ways.

Culture only works with the people still around to enforce/instruct it. The more you need to suddenly fill higher/leadership roles with people who have never worked there before, haven't been involved with anything outside of their area, or just disagree with it, the more quickly it becomes a different company entirely.

Having a process and set atmosphere means nothing when the new outside leadership you hired wants to do things their way.

I don't think Blizzard has ever had any serious or unexpected churn? They even still have all their founders working there iirc.

veritastalpa on
  • Options

Culture only works with the people still around to enforce/instruct it. The more you need to suddenly fill higher/leadership roles with people who have never worked there before, haven't been involved with anything outside of their area, or just disagree with it, the more quickly it becomes a different company entirely.

Having a process and set atmosphere means nothing when the new outside leadership you hired wants to do things their way.

I don't think Blizzard has ever had any serious or unexpected churn? They even still have all their founders working there iirc.

No. That's literally the point. Culture is something you impart to all your employees so that even as people leave, the company as an institution continues to function as normal. It is independent of people leaving because unless everyone quits all at once, the people still around still follow and impart the company culture.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I tried out the new nightfall changes.

Normal mode is not particularly difficult, but it's slow and boring. The enemies seemed beefier than what I'd expect for a "normal" difficulty.

Prestige challenge is also slow, and also boring. It was harder since we used a handicap. The elemental singe modifier was hardly noticeable. We made it to the second boss room but didn't enter it. The game locked the door in front of us then automatically teleported us into the room. With all of our screens blacked out. And we got shot to death because we couldn't see anything. Team wipe, boot to orbit. :rotate:
    D1 nightfall this week is arc burn, airborne, small arms, berserk, daybreak. Now that's a fun time.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tried the new nightfall, I hate the third phase of that strike boss quite a bit. Insane mobility and ground stomp + lasers everywhere and ledges you can fall out of = bad time for me. He never kills me with the stomp, and I don't run into the lasers, instead he stomps me into a laser that kills me and I'm sad. I could be motivated to forget all that and grind out high scores on prestige if there was a leaderboard, where I can compare myself against my friends list and try to outdo those other lesser clans. But as far as I can tell your score is only ever on your emblem; it's not even on the clan page. Void burn was nice, though.

As far as "hidden juggler" goes I goddamn wish there was juggler on all the time. The juggler modifier in D1 was just fun times, and it gave you heavy for days. I don't really know if you the game forces you to switch between primary and energy or not, and I wouldn't care if it did. I just want them to loosen up with the heavy drops a bit more.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Me and a friend tried nightfall last night with 2. The enemies definitely seemed to absorb more damage. We couldn't chew enough off the final boss without add's overwhelming us as soon as they spawn. we wiped several times just on the opening wave adds jumping over the top. That was awful and super hard to avoid. The boss would just pinpoint us over and over if we didn't keep the right distance and trade off aggro regularly. Sometimes we wiped because of weird issues, we would find maybe 1 super ammo box across 4 attempts. I ran out of ammo on more than one occasion. The answer to running out of ammo needs to be "you get 1 punch that does 500% damage and ammo explodes out of the target no matter what". Bam I solved like 99% of ammo problems. Because switching weapons and killing add after add with no ammo drops is getting ridiculous.

It sure didn't make me want to go anywhere near prestige or see the point of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's nothing inherently fun or interesting about playing the new nightfall. It's just a slower strike, and you can handicap yourself to make it even slower! The anomalies and rings from before were lame, but the rest of the modifiers were interesting.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    There's nothing inherently fun or interesting about playing the new nightfall. It's just a slower strike, and you can handicap yourself to make it even slower! The anomalies and rings from before were lame, but the rest of the modifiers were interesting.

if i don't see the boss die at the end but still fail because it happened a second too late and have to start all over again, i'll call it an improvement

• Options

if i don't see the boss die at the end but still fail because it happened a second too late and have to start all over again, i'll call it an improvement

The tradeoff is now a team wipe boots you back to orbit.

• Options

hmm no i do not think that is better

why do they insist on things being bad and not fun?

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular

No. That's literally the point. Culture is something you impart to all your employees so that even as people leave, the company as an institution continues to function as normal. It is independent of people leaving because unless everyone quits all at once, the people still around still follow and impart the company culture.

I feel like words are being minced, or just flatly wrongly used here. But I'm not sure where. I really think you're talking about the Company's Mission Statement, which is an attempt to modify the Company's Culture. Company Culture being that thing made up of the people working at your business. I would argue Company Culture is 100% determined by the people working (it is directed by leadership but can be subverted by the 'working' class rank and file).

I do use caps on these words because maybe you're referring to a specific ideology and jargon? But how can culture not be impacted by people? What the company wants to be seen as and the actions its internal community actually take are both parts of its persona. I just can't agree that a company culture can be set by that company's own mandate and not influenced by its employees.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

They want some sort of potential for failure?

With no timer that pretty much only leaves the full wipe as an option to create that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

They want some sort of potential for failure?

With no timer that pretty much only leaves the full wipe as an option to create that.

why all the way back to orbit instead of the last checkpoint though?

it makes it far more likely to have your time completely wasted by a small mistake, or worse a bug, than it resulting in a compelling challenge

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Nightfalls in D1 were originally "full wipe->orbit"

That was changed, for good reason

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Nightfalls in D1 were originally "full wipe->orbit"

That was changed, for good reason

Pointing out bizarre back-steps on the features and QoL of D2 is a fool's errand.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Papagander wrote: »

I feel like words are being minced, or just flatly wrongly used here. But I'm not sure where. I really think you're talking about the Company's Mission Statement, which is an attempt to modify the Company's Culture. Company Culture being that thing made up of the people working at your business. I would argue Company Culture is 100% determined by the people working (it is directed by leadership but can be subverted by the 'working' class rank and file).

I do use caps on these words because maybe you're referring to a specific ideology and jargon? But how can culture not be impacted by people? What the company wants to be seen as and the actions its internal community actually take are both parts of its persona. I just can't agree that a company culture can be set by that company's own mandate and not influenced by its employees.

Company culture is like the culture of any large groups or institution: it exists above and beyond any specific individual members. It continues to exist despite turnover. The whole point is that a company that has a culture that promotes the creation of good products will survive turnover.

To be a company with a reputation for great products in the long term you have to be that kind of company. If Bungie wants to be a developer known for excellence they have to be able to survive turnover.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Culture is absolutely mercurial and dependent on people. You can have a mission statement and ethos and whatever but day to day work culture is dictated by people and usually your mid level to upper managers. If you think otherwise then you've not worked in a big company for any length of time.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Peen wrote: »
    Culture is absolutely mercurial and dependent on people. You can have a mission statement and ethos and whatever but day to day work culture is dictated by people and usually your mid level to upper managers. If you think otherwise then you've not worked in a big company for any length of time.

Workplace culture is not about missions statements but no one but you is claiming that. Companies, including big ones, have workplace cultures that persist across employee turnover. You should notice this at any big company after working there for any length of time. In many cases that's where it's most obvious just because of how little direct control any one individual can assert over the general company culture.

If turnover is having a huge effect on how your company, especially your large company, does it's business then you haven't done a good job of establishing the company culture you want. If Bungie is running into that issue it's because they've failed to codify (formally or not) the things they did that produced the good games some people know them for within their company culture.

shryke on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Workplace culture is not about missions statements but no one but you is claiming that. Companies, including big ones, have workplace cultures that persist across employee turnover. You should notice this at any big company after working there for any length of time. In many cases that's where it's most obvious just because of how little direct control any one individual can assert over the general company culture.

If turnover is having a huge effect on how your company, especially your large company, does it's business then you haven't done a good job of establishing the company culture you want. If Bungie is running into that issue it's because they've failed to codify (formally or not) the things they did that produced the good games some people know them for within their company culture.

Culture is pretty much top down though. If company culture involves "come in late if you want, but be prepared to work long overtime hours at any time" the boss would need to establish that. If the old boss leaves and a new boss immediately begins penalizing people for being late to show up, the culture would radically shift.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Basically all the old guard from Bungie have left. They aren't the same company as 10, 20 years ago.

• Options
    Basically all the old guard from Bungie have left. They aren't the same company as 10, 20 years ago.

On the contrary, hearing the story from(I think it was a GB interview/podcast) about how the halo 2 demo at a tradeshow came together and what happened to the game afterwards being exactly because they were left to their own devices, completely explained to me how everything bad about destiny 1 and 2 happened. Unless you mean super recently.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    well you have a raid engram this week ps4 peeps

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Have they mentioned anything about clan stuff? like how many people are in a clan, how many of those clans get x extra engrams per week?

It's kind of weird that I leveled significantly faster than some pubbie on his own or with 3-4 friends who have scheduling issues, Thats 3 engrams (plus the support structure to raid) per week. That has to really screw with the content curve.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    C2l1Har.png

That Jovian Guard armor looks so good!