As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Crimson Days: Take Another Little Piece of my Heart Emote, Baybeh

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Vagabond wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I think it's the same as D1, which is 20.

I don't think your postmaster overflowing is a reason to get mad at Bungie

Fuck that. I did nothing but dump the last of my faction tokens before the end of the event and it deleted like 10 items without even telling me. I wouldn't even know what happened if I hadn't googled it, they'd just ... not be there.

Repeat after me: The postmaster is not a secondary vault

We've all lost items at the postmaster due to letting it overflow and we were all annoyed when it happened and we learned our lesson.

Bungie really could do with a pop-up warning like "Your postmaster is now [x] items away from being full. When full, any items that would go to your postmaster will be deleted instead"

While I agree, I guess I just don’t understand the thought process, even if he didn't play D1, which I'm guessing he didn't?

You know if you don’t have inventory space, an item goes to the postmaster.
    You should know that the postmaster has limited space because obviously your character and vault are limited. If the postmaster was unlimited then why wouldn't the vault be?
    So what happens when your character and postmaster get full? Eventually something has to give, there's no postmaster for the postmaster
    But yes, they should at least have an item counter on the postmaster like the vault has, so you know the limit in-game, because that would be obvious.

The thought process is that usually in games when collecting rewards from NPCs, if collecting the reward is impossible due to inventory problems, the game simply won't let you collect rewards from any NPC anymore until you resolve your inventory issues.

That Destiny lets you turn in for rewards at Vendors when there is literally nowhere for the reward to go and then you lose the reward is frustrating. I understand that thought process. Especially considering how gamers have been conditioned in most games.

I guess I can see where you're coming from, but that is the whole point of the postmaster, it's the place where things go when you have inventory issues

You're supposed to see stuff is going there and be like, "oh no, I better manage my items"

If it gets to the point that it's overflowing, then you're not managing your stuff, because that's over 20 items you didn't have room for and you just kept going

For those that played D1, this isn't new. There's never enough space for everything, even with all of D1's collection tablets.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Fuck that. I did nothing but dump the last of my faction tokens before the end of the event and it deleted like 10 items without even telling me. I wouldn't even know what happened if I hadn't googled it, they'd just ... not be there.

We've all lost items at the postmaster due to letting it overflow and we were all annoyed when it happened and we learned our lesson.

Bungie really could do with a pop-up warning like "Your postmaster is now [x] items away from being full. When full, any items that would go to your postmaster will be deleted instead"

While I agree, I guess I just don’t understand the thought process, even if he didn't play D1, which I'm guessing he didn't?

You know if you don’t have inventory space, an item goes to the postmaster.
    You should know that the postmaster has limited space because obviously your character and vault are limited. If the postmaster was unlimited then why wouldn't the vault be?
    So what happens when your character and postmaster get full? Eventually something has to give, there's no postmaster for the postmaster
    But yes, they should at least have an item counter on the postmaster like the vault has, so you know the limit in-game, because that would be obvious.

The thought process is that usually in games when collecting rewards from NPCs, if collecting the reward is impossible due to inventory problems, the game simply won't let you collect rewards from any NPC anymore until you resolve your inventory issues.

That Destiny lets you turn in for rewards at Vendors when there is literally nowhere for the reward to go and then you lose the reward is frustrating. I understand that thought process. Especially considering how gamers have been conditioned in most games.

I guess I can see where you're coming from, but that is the whole point of the postmaster, it's the place where things go when you have inventory issues

You're supposed to see stuff is going there and be like, "oh no, I better manage my items"

If it gets to the point that it's overflowing, then you're not managing your stuff, because that's over 20 items you didn't have room for and you just kept going

For those that played D1, this isn't new. There's never enough space for everything, even with all of D1's collection tablets.

The postmaster is a very nice and awesome "grace period" of sorts for dealing with rewards that don't fit in your inventory, yeah.

Doesn't change that the best and most common practice when a player tries to get a reward from an NPC that would otherwise be deleted is to just not let the player make that mistake.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    me irl when I find out people don't obsessively manage their inventories and let stuff sit in their postmaster:

XYpGj3C.gif

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Here's something that would drive some of you crazy. My Hunter's postmaster for the last few weeks has an invisible Bright Engram that I can't pick up

Not my video:
    https://youtu.be/XrhLBlZs8QY

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    me irl when I find out people don't obsessively manage their inventories and let stuff sit in their postmaster:

XYpGj3C.gif

*is torn between obsessively managing his inventory or not doing it and telling Peen about it all the time so that he can undergo a painful and spontaneous transformation every time or doing it and simply telling Peen that he doesn't because it seems like maybe he likes the transformation?*

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular

I don't want to let this die. First, this is a horseshit straw-man excuse. Have you ever heard of Yes-If Bungie? How about you say "Yes, if we were comfortable with mid-map loading screens in a few places we could do that" or "Yes, if we reduced total sprint time it'd work". This "No, things r Hrd" shit is annoying as fuck. (To his credit, he did this with ADS, but that was literally a "yes but then my 5-year old would have a tougher time").

Second, horseshitx2. You're telling me you designed a sandbox-type game that was supposed to be set up for easy balance tweaks, and you decided to put the slower-than-destiny1 speed right at the max limit the engine/maps can handle? You didn't think once "What if we're wrong and want to go back to Destiny 1 speeds?" Christ almighty.

The communication from Bungie. I wanted it, but unfortunately it's just confirming how incompetent Bungie is and how little they care about the people who play the game past launch day.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Repeat after me: Read closer. I wasn't using it as one.

I turned in all my engrams and it overflowed and deleted shit. Like, literally deleting things from engrams I'd just opened because I got more then whatever the fuck the limit is. A masterwork gun that popped on the first engram? Gone.

Seriously, if y'all gonna get dickish, the least you could fucking do is see what I'm actually saying happened.

shryke on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Trojan35 wrote: »

I don't want to let this die. First, this is a horseshit straw-man excuse. Have you ever heard of Yes-If Bungie? How about you say "Yes, if we were comfortable with mid-map loading screens in a few places we could do that" or "Yes, if we reduced total sprint time it'd work". This "No, things r Hrd" shit is annoying as fuck. (To his credit, he did this with ADS, but that was literally a "yes but then my 5-year old would have a tougher time").
    280 characters.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular

I turned in all my engrams and it overflowed and deleted shit. Like, literally deleting things from engrams I'd just opened because I got more then whatever the fuck the limit is. A masterwork gun that popped on the first engram? Gone.

Seriously, if y'all gonna get dickish, the least you could fucking do is see what I'm actually saying happened.

Uh.... huh...

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Erevar wrote: »
    To be fair, the Postmaster collecting missed items is a very gamer-friendly mechanic. In most other games if you fail to notice loot on the ground you just don't get it. (Yes, I realize that's not exactly the issue as described above, but it's still true)

INT. LEVIATHAN THRONE ROOM: All is quiet. Emperor Calus lounges atop his throne, gazing contentedly at an assembly of his finest warriors, his most fearsome beasts of war, his most cunning and powerful Psion servants. Suddenly!
    <Enter stage right A CITY FRAME bearing the icon of the POSTMASTERS GUILD>
    Frame: P-pardon me, Emperor, sir. I just need to collect this-
    <The FRAME scuttles quickly over to a PILLAR, behind which rests a heretofore-unnoticed RARE ENGRAM. The FRAME lifts it gingerly and proceeds back toward the door it came in>
    <CALUS begins to sit more upright, an expression of confusion slowly being overtaken by anger>
    Frame: Okay, got it! Have a wonderful day, your Highness!
    <FRAME scampers partway down the hall before disappearing in a flash of GENERIC TRANSMAT GREEBLE>
    Calus: I like this solar system less and less with each passing day.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Second, horseshitx2. You're telling me you designed a sandbox-type game that was supposed to be set up for easy balance tweaks, and you decided to put the slower-than-destiny1 speed right at the max limit the engine/maps can handle? You didn't think once "What if we're wrong and want to go back to Destiny 1 speeds?" Christ almighty.

The communication from Bungie. I wanted it, but unfortunately it's just confirming how incompetent Bungie is and how little they care about the people who play the game past launch day.

Can't say I care all that much and I'm just trying sideload some focus as ppl are driving me crazy with requests here... but higher graphics fidelity means larger files and memory taken up for said graphics and processing cycles per frame, etc...

So, if Destiny 2 had the graphical fidelity of Destiny 1 (and therefore the same loading pipelines) then increasing the speed wouldn't be as big of a deal. There's little to no texture pop-in or hard pauses to load in this game, though Destiny 1 did have points where you can run into a "LOADING..." section too while on a sparrow. While Destiny 1 looked slightly better on the next gen, the limits of loading/etc was likely defined by the older hardware for a somewhat similar experience. A curve on Venus or whatever comes to mind that illustrates that, but it's not necessarily an easy magic fix. Given we don't know how large the areas are that Destiny 2 loads in vs Destiny 1 (as far as map "tiles" go).

Non-combat movement speed isn't really a thing that falls under the umbrella of balance tweaks either. But there's a mess of technical things that happen that make that not matter of "incompetence" but a real limitations.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

He's telling you that the maps are all built based on assumptions about player move speed. This is, like, absolutely 100% standard. That's how you do this shit. That's why every game has long corridors and turns to break up sight-lines and all that other shit you do as a designer to hide all the asset loading and unloading you are doing all the time. Especially for consoles.

These are decisions made early enough they aren't easy to tweak and that other decisions get made off of. And every extra bit of padding you throw on top limits some other part of the design. At the very least, it's untested.

This isn't incompetence, it's just how games work because RAM et all is not infinite. It's not impossible to work around but it is something that's not near as easy to mess with as you think, which was his whole point.

• Options

There comes a point when you are realizing that your items are going to the postmaster over and over and over that you should be thinking to empty it, though. In order for you to have 10+ items deleted due to a full postmaster, you must've had 20 items go there first.

At that point, you are kind of using it like a pseudo secondary/temporary vault space. It can't be infinite.

I mean, most of us have accidentally had stuff deleted due to a full vault. It sucks. But now that you've done it once, you know not to do it again!

• Options

He's telling you that the maps are all built based on assumptions about player move speed. This is, like, absolutely 100% standard. That's how you do this shit. That's why every game has long corridors and turns to break up sight-lines and all that other shit you do as a designer to hide all the asset loading and unloading you are doing all the time. Especially for consoles.

These are decisions made early enough they aren't easy to tweak and that other decisions get made off of. And every extra bit of padding you throw on top limits some other part of the design. At the very least, it's untested.

This isn't incompetence, it's just how games work because RAM et all is not infinite. It's not impossible to work around but it is something that's not near as easy to mess with as you think, which was his whole point.

Go back and read the post you are responding to.

Trojan understands the concept behind loading zones. His problem was that Bungie seems to be implying that they built the loading corridors timing max speed right at the absolute limit of what we have now. Which is a pretty stupid decision, tbh.

Also, there are plenty of times that I sparrow through loading zones that were clearly meant for only walking, hit a loading wall, and then continue on. They are fine with that. You are telling me they wouldn't be fine with the occasional time of me running too fast on my character with +speed gear? They'd be fine with that because it happened all the time in Destiny 1 and literally no one complained about it because who freaking cares.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    New Monarchy eats farts.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    So I have enough mastercraft weapons where if I dismantle one more I should be able to make my own. Is it worth it to mastercraft a rocket launcher? I'm hoping I'll get a big ole pile of light orbs with a big multi-blast.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    So I have enough mastercraft weapons where if I dismantle one more I should be able to make my own. Is it worth it to mastercraft a rocket launcher? I'm hoping I'll get a big ole pile of light orbs with a big multi-blast.

You cannot make more than a single orb per rocket. Adjust expectations accordingly

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Sadly no. There's a small internal cooldown on masterwork orb generation. 1 rocket will only ever create 1 orbs.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    Don’t make me go talk to Hideo, game. Don’t do this to me.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    NM winning just goes to show that fashion is king. :P

edit:
    If DO wanted a chance at winning they'd have to change the base skin for warlock and hunter. Both of them are ugly af.
    FWC might have a chance, if they got rid of the dots all over everything. What's with the dots ppl?

But the lion ornaments of NM sealed the deal this time around. Last time I checked Charlamagne discord bot, NM was leading by 100k?

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Klatu wrote: »

edit:
    If DO wanted a chance at winning they'd have to change the base skin for warlock and hunter. Both of them are ugly af.
    FWC might have a chance, if they got rid of the dots all over everything. What's with the dots ppl?

But the lion ornaments of NM sealed the deal this time around. Last time I checked Charlamagne discord bot, NM was leading by 100k?

Oh come on! How else would I be able to roleplay a Hunter who had pissed herself?

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular

edit:

Oh come on! How else would I be able to roleplay a Hunter who had pissed herself?

As a Titan it is my understanding that was a frequent combat tactic of the other, lesser classes. As such, no roleplay should be necessary?

• Options

Trojan understands the concept behind loading zones. His problem was that Bungie seems to be implying that they built the loading corridors timing max speed right at the absolute limit of what we have now. Which is a pretty stupid decision, tbh.

Also, there are plenty of times that I sparrow through loading zones that were clearly meant for only walking, hit a loading wall, and then continue on. They are fine with that. You are telling me they wouldn't be fine with the occasional time of me running too fast on my character with +speed gear? They'd be fine with that because it happened all the time in Destiny 1 and literally no one complained about it because who freaking cares.
    Of course they're not as concerned about the way sparrows in places they're not supposed to be can mess up load times. They're places sparrows aren't supposed to be, so they probably won't be in there and if they are it's because a player is knowingly messing around so they'll probably be more accepting of things being a bit wonky. Meanwhile, a high mobility build is well within the space of expected play, and even if we don't talk about it there is not a person on this earth who likes sitting around while something loads.
    As for trying to get load times and traversal times to match up being stupid... no? How? It's keeping the odds of the game locking up while it loads acceptably unlikely while not making the traversal times unnecessarily padded.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    cB557 wrote: »

Of course they're not as concerned about the way sparrows in places they're not supposed to be can mess up load times. They're places sparrows aren't supposed to be, so they probably won't be in there and if they are it's because a player is knowingly messing around so they'll probably be more accepting of things being a bit wonky. Meanwhile, a high mobility build is well within the space of expected play, and even if we don't talk about it there is not a person on this earth who likes sitting around while something loads.
    As for trying to get load times and traversal times to match up being stupid... no? How? It's keeping the odds of the game locking up while it loads acceptably unlikely while not making the traversal times unnecessarily padded.

Yes but why would you design your system's performance not to allow for an upward adjustment of move speed from the start? They're saying they can't increase move speed because they're already as high as it will go without impacting performance. Why didn't they design the game to be flexible to a decrease or an increase to move speed?

ElementWrath on
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Yeah renfaire fashion.

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Yes but why would you design your system's performance not to allow for an upward adjustment of move speed from the start?
    I don't hear of that happening particularly often.
    As well, building it such that you could do that would mean making there be more space whose only purpose is to pad going from point A to point B. it would be making the game worse so that you would have a bit more ability to tweak it, and if it never comes up then you made the game worse for no reason. That's not worth it.

cB557 on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I got into the Lair for the first time with a 100 group and we ran it three times for all of our characters. That encounter is wild and super fun.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

There comes a point when you are realizing that your items are going to the postmaster over and over and over that you should be thinking to empty it, though. In order for you to have 10+ items deleted due to a full postmaster, you must've had 20 items go there first.

At that point, you are kind of using it like a pseudo secondary/temporary vault space. It can't be infinite.

I mean, most of us have accidentally had stuff deleted due to a full vault. It sucks. But now that you've done it once, you know not to do it again!

His shader inventory must have already been completely full. Even then there are only two types of shader per faction, so would those stack on the Postmaster? Or would each "set" take up a slot? I dunno, I keep my mod and shader inventory pretty low with always at least 2-3 open slots.

I like fashion options, but there are some shaders it's just not worth it to keep at all. Green planetary ones, etc. Others that I've never liked on anything I tried them on. Mostly I keep just "purple" ones. It sucks they're consumable, but how many can you even really use anyway?!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    In D1 I probably changed my shader after every encounter, and sometimes during if I wanted to tempt fate

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the hardest part of the raid lair was easily easily the canon/rings, we wiped there over and over to get the extra chest but not once on the boss.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I didn't know the post had a limit. I've had items sitting there forever- shaders and such. I think the limit on shader space is really dumb considering the monetization scheme.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »
    I didn't know the post had a limit. I've had items sitting there forever- shaders and such. I think the limit on shader space is really dumb considering the monetization scheme.

unless the shader considered to be a different one for hte purposes of dismantling, shaders continue to stack in one slot in the postmaster

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    the hardest part of the raid lair was easily easily the canon/rings, we wiped there over and over to get the extra chest but not once on the boss.

The trick is to have a warlock running dawncallse with the air dodge. You can super easily hit 3 rings by yourself, leaving the rest of the raid to grab the remainder

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

The trick is to have a warlock running dawncallse with the air dodge. You can super easily hit 3 rings by yourself, leaving the rest of the raid to grab the remainder

i've cleared the lair like 8 times now and there is still one ring i'm not completely sure actually exists

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular

I never said don't design maps around move speed, I said they need to leave themselves buffer to adjust these values.

• Options
    Good news for people who wanted some extra time to earn their ornaments: you're still pledged to your factions for the remainder of Victory Week, so assuming you meet the other requirements (full set for Helmet), then you're gtg.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    ... You cant earn those ornaments at any given time?

Thats dumb.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    They all require "Pledged to" whoever and you're only pledged during faction+reward weeks.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I never said don't design maps around move speed, I said they need to leave themselves buffer to adjust these values.

They probably do. But leaving that buffer, as I said, is always a trade-off with other considerations. You can't leave too huge a buffer of you are screwing with other aspects of the zone's design.

If you look around, you'll actually notice a lot of areas will deliberately put a small bit of something you have to jump over to force you to dismount from your sparrow, basically preventing you from ever travelling at sparrow speeds past that point.

shryke on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    ... You cant earn those ornaments at any given time?

Thats dumb.

The Destiny 2 story.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.