Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[JRPG] Revived for the Holidays

MadicanMadican No faceRegistered User regular
1. Use this thread to talk about all the fun JRPGs you're playing or looking to play. Mobile or console.

2. Do not use this thread to talk about anime in any way, shape, form, concept, or application.

3. Discussion is fine, disparaging the tastes of others is not. You can say you don't like a game without being insulting.

Happy Holidays

camo_sig2.png
PSN: AuthorFrost
mageofstorm.png

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Tales of Beseria is staring at my soul for 17 bucks. I didnt care for Zestria that much but this one looked great. Truth?

Mai-Kero
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    berseria is the best tales game

SYhhzZG.jpg?2?8605
    MadicanPolaritieJubal77Blackhawk1313CaedwyrRaijin Quickfootvagrant_windsRadiusEncQanamilWeedLordVegetaZandracontraibOatsbalerbower
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Tales of Berseria is easily my Game of the Year for 2017 due to both its story and its incredibly vibrant cast of characters. I greatly enjoyed watching them all interact with each other.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Jubal77SCREECH OF THE FARGBlackhawk1313SwashbucklerXX
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Xenoblade 2 is all right. 30 hours and I'm still in Chapter 4.

Also, the former hasn't allowed to start the Lost Sphear demo at all!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I'll throw a +1 towards Berseria as well. Wasn't a huge fan of the super mashy combat or all the bizarrely complex yet totally uneeded mechanics it kept piling onto it, and it still hasn't fully addressed all the problems it started introducing around Xilia, but it's a massive step up over recent efforts and the protagonist side of the cast is really strong. Antagonist side and overall plot, not so much, but that's hardly unusual for a Tales game.

Jubal77LeumasWhite
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Tales of Beseria is staring at my soul for 17 bucks. I didnt care for Zestria that much but this one looked great. Truth?

Magilou's antics alone are worth $17

wb5cft.png
    Jubal77Madicanvagrant_windstraibOatsWhippy
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    There's a new Project Re: Fantasy teaser:

It's a trip.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Moon Name: Moon
    vagrant_windsPolaritieSwashbucklerXXWeedLordVegetaAlazullnever dieLucedes
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    Another +1 for Berseria, it’s great.

• The Hanged ManThe Hanged Man Once I ate a pizza so big, they gave me a prize. Then I threw up and they took it back.Registered User regular
    I haven't played any other Tales games, and I've been having a real good time with Berseria.

Although the last 20 hours of "gameplay" were me sending out sailing expeditions until I got all the costume pieces, and only checking into the game every 30 minutes between netflix Star Trek reruns.

TWITTER: @DesertLeviathan, PSN: LeviathanAscends
    3DS: 1590-4800-2407, SWITCH: SW-3925-2368-8101
    2kPRT5C.png
    Madican
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I got Persona 5 for my birthday over a month ago, just finished it. Somewhere around 100 hours on the first playthrough, which seems consistent. Kind of excited for NG+ though, so I can focus on the characters. Since battles won't be any kind of big thing, I'm gonna focus around having one of each Arcana in my Persona lineup, so I can stand the best chance at maxing out everyone.

Javen on
    Javen wrote: »
    I got Persona 5 for my birthday over a month ago, just finished it. Somewhere around 100 hours on the first playthrough, which seems consistent. Kind of excited for NG+ though, so I can focus on the characters. Since battles won't be any kind of big thing, I'm gonna focus around having one of each Arcana in my Persona lineup, so I can stand the best chance at maxing out everyone.

That should be trivially easy to do on an NG+. It's pretty easy to do even on NG without any kind of guide for P3/4 vets as long as you're aware of how completely broken Fortune's bonuses are.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

That should be trivially easy to do on an NG+. It's pretty easy to do even on NG without any kind of guide for P3/4 vets as long as you're aware of how completely broken Fortune's bonuses are.

Yeah, I completely ignored that character, having now idea how any of that stuff worked. I didn't even know about how broken the SP re gen accessories Takemi sold were until literally the last dungeon.

Javen on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I really need to play Nier before we do the GotY vote.

Dragkonias on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Brings a Magic Infused Gun to a Swordfight. Registered User regular
    In case you guys hadn't been made aware of it yet, Super Robot Wars X got announced last week. PS4/Vita. March 29th Japan. April 26th English release.

Trailer:

Series List:
    The Unchallengable Daitarn 3
    Aura Battler Dunbine
    New Story of Aura Battler Dunbine (Mechs only)
    Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
    Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack – Beltorchika’s Children (Mechs only)
    Mobile Suit Gundam F91
    Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
    Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: The Steel Seven
    Gundam Reconguista in G
    Mashin Hero Wataru
    Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
    Brave Express Mightgaine
    Gurren Lagann
    Gurren Lagann the Movie: The Lights in the Sky are Stars
    Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
    True Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!
    True Mazinger ZERO vs. Great General of Darkness
    Mazinkaiser
    Buddy Complex
    Buddy Complex Final Act -Into the Skies of Tomorrow-
    Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons

---

And yeah, Tales of Berseria is fantastic. Jump on that shit.

// Steam: VWinds // LoL: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    DragkoniasmiscellaneousinsanityIanatorForever Zefiro
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    There's a new Project Re; Fantasy teaser:

It's a trip.

That's pretty freaking bizarre.

PolaritieAndy Joe
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Someone gave me 20 dollars for my Steam Wallet and despite the deluge of amazing games this year all i can think is

That's a whole lot of Nep Nep

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    DalantiaDonnictonvagrant_windsPolaritieAndy JoeIvan HungerIanator
  • WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    I love how SRW trailers are mostly several minutes of amazing attack sequences.

vagrant_windsReynoldsAndy Joe
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    There is a tales game on phones? I'm downloading it

SYhhzZG.jpg?2?8605
  • The Hanged ManThe Hanged Man Once I ate a pizza so big, they gave me a prize. Then I threw up and they took it back.Registered User regular
    So there's a person on my playstation friends list who's a Japanese lady who I know next to nothing else about. We got paired up in a game of Journey once, that I was playing as a pick-me-up when I was in a real bad emotional place, and when we got to the top of the mountain at the end she scooted her little chirping scarf goblin around in the snow to make a heart, and I just... completely lost my shit. Inconsolable crying for like an hour. Felt real good afterwards, just all cleared out, you know? So I sent her this big rambly "thank you" letter that I took the time to pick out one letter at a time using the playstation controller, and also a friend request. Her english is about as good as my japanese, which is "liked Anime in high school" tier, so communication back and forth hasn't been super enlightening. But the relationship is weirdly important to me.

Every so often, when she notices that I've been playing a lot of something lately, she'll send a request to spectate. And then she'll send me cheerful encouraging messages that are just like strings of little emoji text people giving me thumbs up. And like I said, I've been playing a ton of Berseria lately, but it's been heavy on downtime just letting the Expedition clock tick down while I do something else. So I've been feeling super guilty because she keeps seeing the Berseria hours crank up higher than anything in my library but Destiny 1 & 2 or the Final Fantasy 10 remaster, and asking if she can watch, and I don't have any way to communicate to her that all those hours are just me running down the timer on a completely passive event, so I'm usually not even there to see her request. And when I'm in the mood to actively play the game, she's nowhere to be seen.

TWITTER: @DesertLeviathan, PSN: LeviathanAscends
    3DS: 1590-4800-2407, SWITCH: SW-3925-2368-8101
    2kPRT5C.png
    MaddocReynoldsMadicanFremFiskebentBeezelShenBigJoeMH3Knuckles
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    There's a new Project Re; Fantasy teaser:

It's a trip.

Seems like a waste of time and money.

Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Brings a Magic Infused Gun to a Swordfight. Registered User regular
    Okay, that Project ReFantasy trailer/teaser/thing has my interest and my attention.

// Steam: VWinds // LoL: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Andy Joe

If you mean Tales of Links, don't. It's bad.

CaedwyrFremWhippy
    edited December 2017
    Project re: Fantasy looks like it could be a grimdark version of Fantasy Life.

Waveform on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I have no idea what to make of that trailer. So I guess it has my attention?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Waveform wrote: »

I can't watch the video at work but you have my attention.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So there's a person on my playstation friends list who's a Japanese lady who I know next to nothing else about. We got paired up in a game of Journey once, that I was playing as a pick-me-up when I was in a real bad emotional place, and when we got to the top of the mountain at the end she scooted her little chirping scarf goblin around in the snow to make a heart, and I just... completely lost my shit. Inconsolable crying for like an hour. Felt real good afterwards, just all cleared out, you know? So I sent her this big rambly "thank you" letter that I took the time to pick out one letter at a time using the playstation controller, and also a friend request. Her english is about as good as my japanese, which is "liked Anime in high school" tier, so communication back and forth hasn't been super enlightening. But the relationship is weirdly important to me.

Every so often, when she notices that I've been playing a lot of something lately, she'll send a request to spectate. And then she'll send me cheerful encouraging messages that are just like strings of little emoji text people giving me thumbs up. And like I said, I've been playing a ton of Berseria lately, but it's been heavy on downtime just letting the Expedition clock tick down while I do something else. So I've been feeling super guilty because she keeps seeing the Berseria hours crank up higher than anything in my library but Destiny 1 & 2 or the Final Fantasy 10 remaster, and asking if she can watch, and I don't have any way to communicate to her that all those hours are just me running down the timer on a completely passive event, so I'm usually not even there to see her request. And when I'm in the mood to actively play the game, she's nowhere to be seen.

You know you can just play with your computer's clock to clear it, right? It actually ticks while closed because of that too.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm still really torn on whether or not I should get Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I really liked Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X. So based on my like of those games, I would probably like 2, right?

But the character design just does not work for me. I do not look forward to spending an ungodly amount of hours as this goofy kid in blue.

Maybe I should go back to Tales of Berseria for my JRPG needs. I'm about 40 hours in, so I'm probably... uhm... nearly halfway?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    River City Ransom: Rival Showdown for 3DS is a brawler with a bunch of RPG stuff grafted onto it, like exp, leveling, stat allocation, money, equipment, and buying special moves. There are NPCs to talk to, a day/night cycle, and the story takes place over 3 days.

I don't see ANYONE talking about it, and I think it's pretty cool, and if you like action RPGs, this is worth looking into.

Also, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is like $12 on Steam right now. I'm considering it.

I really liked Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X. So based on my like of those games, I would probably like 2, right?

But the character design just does not work for me. I do not look forward to spending an ungodly amount of hours as this goofy kid in blue.

Maybe I should go back to Tales of Berseria for my JRPG needs. I'm about 40 hours in, so I'm probably... uhm... nearly halfway?

Depends how many hours you spent idling for the boat to bring back goodies.

There's a reason my Played time in Berseria on Steam is 200+ hours.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Also, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is like $12 on Steam right now. I'm considering it.

If all you did was treat it as River City Ransom (i.e. as a game where you explore and beat things up, stopping by shops to get upgrades), you'll still have a great time.

Honestly the worst part of that game is interacting with the NPCs.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."

If you liked XC1 and XCX you would also like XC2, at least in terms of play.

If it helps, Rex's character design at least makes sense in context. He's a salvager, his outfit is literally just a blue colored salvaging outfit that he wears in "unsealed" configuration as his day-clothes.

l_g wrote: »

If all you did was treat it as River City Ransom (i.e. as a game where you explore and beat things up, stopping by shops to get upgrades), you'll still have a great time.

You say "interact" but I say "pick up random pawns on the road and toss them over a cliff into the ocean."

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    River City Ransom: Rival Showdown for 3DS is a brawler with a bunch of RPG stuff grafted onto it, like exp, leveling, stat allocation, money, equipment, and buying special moves. There are NPCs to talk to, a day/night cycle, and the story takes place over 3 days.

I don't see ANYONE talking about it, and I think it's pretty cool, and if you like action RPGs, this is worth looking into.

Dragon’s dogma is a weird game with some odd jankiness to it that I love the hell out of, its combat is super satisfying.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

Xenoblade 2 is really good. I had my reservations like you but I have fallen in love with it. It's charming and fun.

I would rank them as 1 > 2 > X

Schide
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »

Oh, I've played Dragon's Dogma, just not Dark Arisen, and I hear they streamlined some of the more annoying parts of the base game in the PC/PS4/XB1 version.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

If you mean Tales of Links, don't. It's bad.

But if you mean Tales of the Rays, it's not too bad for a mobile game. Has a lot of fun cross-cast character scenes and comes about as close as you can get to Tales combat on a touch screen.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    user
    Ok, I finally figured out how the game wants you to effectively kill trash mobs in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

They really, really want you to do your Blade and Driver combos in parallel. The finishing hit from a Blade Combo while the target is Launched is like 300% damage.

Can't wait to get more Blade slots unlocked on my party so I can make this happen with regularity.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Waveform wrote: »

It could be a lot of things, given that there isn't even any gameplay yet :bzz:

PSN: Donnicton - Switch FC: SW-6944-1374-2020 - Wii/3DS FC: 1633-4230-5354 - Steam: Donnicton - BNet: Donnicton#11763
  • OrphaneOrphane Dazzling radiance washes your engine in a gleaming tide. Glory, glory, glory. Registered User regular
    Okami is a jurp right

Because Okami is baller

I was hoping for Okami to get a bit of a discount during the sale, 10% or something small since it just came out.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
This discussion has been closed.