Let nothing you dismay,
For Oldest Blood our Saviour
Was spilt upon this Day.

To save poor souls from Beastly power,
Which long time had gone astray,
Brings tidings of comfort and joy,
Comfort and joy!
O’ tidings of comfort and joy!

Did you guys know people have found lots of cut-content for Bloodborne, the PS4 exclusive Slavic werewolf barber simulator?

DouglasDangerfirewaterwordArmorocCantidoFawst

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    claglv6c7l44.jpg
    6lhuw1vox78w.jpg
    There is also the incomparable comic by Sarah Stone and Daniel Humphrey, Echoes of Blood.

Plus an official comic has come out recently called Death of Sleep. It is ugly and probably terrible.

So, discuss, good hunter.

Endless_Serpents on
    EddyNever Stop Making PoastCantidoFeldornFawstnever dieSqueakel
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I tried to play more of my second character while I'm up here, when there's no little ones around to witness the violence of course.

I really don't like the threaded cane. I need to find a better weapon or a good bloodtinge one, so I don't have to suffer through Amelia like this.

steam_sig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    my roommate has put over a thousand hours into the souls games (i have never played any really) and recently got bloodborne. i watched him play a good chunk of the game

1) the aesthetic is rad. i especially like the people whispering out at you like fuck u no weird hunter dude we ain't opening our doors

2) it seems like flasks are better than vials? considering how many people die over and over to bosses in these games, it seems crazy to gate potions like that and not have them auto-regen. o'course, i guess the argument could be made that it's good game design as it encourages you to take a breath and explore some more when you can't beat a boss. idk. as a bad-at-games it just seems frustrating to me.

3) the bosses are rad, design wise

4) that dude on the roof with the gatling gun is a fucking dickhead

Organichu on
    KarozEndless_SerpentsEvil MultifariousDee Kae
    Re: Blood vials, yeah it's a contentious issue. I don't mind them, but I can see how people would.

You can mitigate grinding by buying a few each time you return to the hunter's dream, regardless of if you need them or not.

steam_sig.png
    Macro9
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    claglv6c7l44.jpg
    6lhuw1vox78w.jpg
    There is also the incomparable comic by Sarah Stone and Daniel Humphrey, Echoes of Blood.

Plus an official comic has come out recently called Death of Sleep. It is ugly and probably terrible.

So, discuss, good hunter.

I have no idea what is going on between any of the panels in those comics

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    EddyAistanDanHibikiCythraulFencingsaxStabbity Style
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Yeah I'm going to be honest I love anything bloodbourne but those comics' visual choreography is... poor

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    DouglasDangerrndmheroNeadenSolarFencingsaxStabbity Style
    edited December 2017
    Yeah true. There is a gap between pages there, I think. It’s pretty though! I’m sure the brown frames are forward in time to the black and red, for the record.

Anyways, Bloodborne will always be dear to me because Central Yharnam is my favourite Van Helsing game, Castle Cainhurst is my favourite 3D Castlevania game and the Fishing Hamlet is my favourite Innsmouth game. I’m going to go out on a huge limb and say Bloodborne has the best areas out of all the FromSoft games, at least when viewed as an complete set.

Endless_Serpents on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah I need to replay this sometime and I initially after I beat the game the first time but the two things that keep me from returning: blood vial grinding (much more avoidable now that I have beaten the game once) and the cut in PC summoned hunter health. The latter is the real killer as I didn't have PS+ first time I played so I did feel left out from the community at large due to lack of messages and bloodstains but then when I did get PS+ and I tried to do coop with @Malakaius our low early health pools further cut further was just a miserable experience especially on bosses. Whoops, you messed up or lagged a bit now your host needs to kill this thing with double health and we already weren't doing that much damage.

It was a bit more manageable when I was doing some NG+ coop with @Scratchy but I've never been a fan of NG+, I always like returning to my murder hobo roots--which makes items and weapons you receive at the very end of the game sucky for me.

It's funny that for a game that is primarily a solo experience I come back more for the coop experience. Can't imagine why *hides avatar*.

The only other arguably minor thing I just hate in this game and was carried over to Dark Souls 3 are the screams. I'm fine with having the odd scream, the long, lonesome, and mysterious howl you hear when climbing the first ladder still haunts me, but the often repeated screams that makes me want to mute the TV was just a dumb fucking choice. It's why Ludwig is my most hated boss in the game, not due to being one of the several "messy" boss that is hard for me to read (like blood starved beast) and thus too many attempts to beat, but he has some of the worst god damn screams in phase 1 that I was ready to give up on the DLC altogether. Once I reach phase 2 Ludwig is generally fine but phase 1 is all I hate in this game--which would have been even worse if they didn't have that corpse that drops 5+ vials before you fight him.

I will give Bloodborne credit with the bell maidens summoning invaders was a nice mechanic. Having summoning bells be an honest to goodness fact as shown by bell maidens near the end and not just a player summoning mechanic was awesome. It reduced the pain of *xX420l33tfr34k420Xx has invaded your world been summoned by the bell maiden* by making it so it could be non-existent.

Trick weapons are just awesome. I was a-okay with the weapon selection because of how good they all were. Sawblade may be iconic but Hunter's Axe--and later Whirlygig Axe--was my jam. But there are still so many awesome weapons for each build it's great.

Overall a fantastic game and I hope for a sequel or more twisted settings (not necessarily Lovecraftian although that theme in games is all too rare IMO) and I will replay this game some day.

I got the Dark Souls board game as a gift, and it's quite interesting. There's a hell of a lot of setup, but once you get things laid out it goes at a pretty good flow. I did some testing of it as single player just to learn the rules before I try it with family, and it seems quite accurate to the dark souls experience.

I died against the Gargoyle when it had one health left.

steam_sig.png
    GyralDouglasDangerFawstfurlion
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, I Kickstarted the board game and enjoyed it. Still waiting for all the expansions and stretch goals to ship (sometime in the next decade at the pace they go).

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    It was also good to get the gameplay stumbles out of the way since the instructions aren't great at clarifying.

One thing i'm still confused on. The boss arcs, on the card is the top one its front arc? Or the bottom?

I'm definitely going to paint these figures though. I just have to find out uh... how. And with what. And practice on something less expensive first.

steam_sig.png
  • ZavianZavian doesn't own a cat.... might be a cat Registered User regular
    I just beat Rom a few nights ago, loving the game so far. I found its incredibly easy to go back to Central Yharnham and one hitting everything to death to resupply blood vials. I also just use my upgraded two handed axe so never use my bullets, which I just sell for echoes. I only ever use the gun to stun bosses, but so far I haven't even really needed to, two handed axe just seems to be good enough for everything I've encountered so far. I have been co-oping some bosses, which makes things a bit easier, but oddly enough I tried co-oping Rom four times and failing before just soloing with NPC summon and beating it.

As a lovecraft mythos fan I absolutely love this game. And I haven't even made it to not-Innsmouth!

KarozEndless_Serpents
    You might want to look up how to get to the DLC cause it can be a bit obtuse.

You do have the DLC right? Cause otherwise no not-Innsmouth for you...

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I should finish this game with @Naphtali and @butters

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    this is still probably my favorite game

if you have a PS4 and don't have this yet, I beg you, try it

B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    LucascraftfirewaterwordReynoldsKarozArmorocHugglesDidgeridooNo-QuarterFawstnever diefurlionMan in the MistsStabbity StyleHeraldS
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Bloodborne is a pretty great game, you guys.

firewaterwordReynoldsAistanKarozArmorocHugglesMidniteFawstnever diefurlionStabbity Style
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Definitely one of my favorites of all time. Fear the old blood and all that.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    ReynoldsKarozArmorocEndless_SerpentsHugglesMidniteFawstnever dieMan in the Mists
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's strange. There are so many great areas in Bloodborne.

But I flew through many of them and feel like I didn't spend near enough time there. Yharnam proper, and the witch forest just outside of it are probably the two areas I spent the most time in and feel the most familiar with.

But the Choir, the university, and some of those other places? I blew right through them.

I think I need to just start a new game and replay the entire game. Yes, that seems like the best idea.

KarozArmoroc
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Agree with this probably being one of my favorite games on PS4.

And while I wouldn't recommend it, for people who are completely turned off by farming blood vials, you can get around this by saving to the cloud and then restoring it over the local save.

Given they had basically nothing to do with Dark Souls 2 but they could have used the cost for life gems as the perfect template for blood vials: rather expensive early on, affordable by the middle and downright cheap by the end. You already have an inventory cap so you never have to worry about balancing around more than 20 blood vials so it doesn't matter if I have 1k+ blood vials in my stash.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think DS3 struck a happy medium with enemies that would randomly give you an estus charge: that way you could have a thing that would let you keep going from having successfully plowed through lots of enemies which bloodvials/lifegems let you have, as well as having the guaranteed refill every time you hit the bonfire.

I overall don't mind the blood vials that much because you get so many of them and for most of the game they really aren't that expensive. Being able to stash 20 healing pots together with the rally system means that unless an enemy blows you up, you can venture quite far because of how much attrition you can take.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    I thought the Estus charge refill was when someone killed a boss in the area you were in? I'm pretty sure that's the trigger, not just randomly killing an enemy.

As for blood vials, they are fine since they patched in the huge stash amount. It used to be 99 in your stash when the game released, with 20 on you. That sucked because all those times you would naturally be getting extra blood vials, you weren't. They were just rotting. So you weren't naturally building a cushion for rougher parts in the game.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    PSA because people seem to forget this regularly: You don't need to farm vials, it's waaaaaaay more efficient to just buy them with souls.

Whenever you have souls left over after leveling up, spend them on vials. You'll probably be swimming in them by the end of the game, and if you ever run out, go to your favourite soul farming spot.

FYYss9j.png
    GnomeTankRainfallAistanDouglasDanger
    My favorite spot is the lecture hall. First floor lamp to second floor lamp run is just a couple of minutes and nets like 50k echos.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    DidgeridooMidnite
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    They need to give an award to the dude voicing the horsedude

5myiokloks5d.png
    I managed to mess up some early bosses and using up way too many blood vials while simultaneously not having that many blood echoes to spend. So I ended up spending waaaay too much time grinding the giants in Central Yharnam to replenish my stocks. It was annoying and it was dumb. Yes it could have been mitigated by always buying some but by the time it happened it was too late to correct this mistake and I was stuck in grind town.

There is still precious little reason to not have them restock to full when resting at a lamp and if they must be purchased then just make them cheap. There was nothing more annoying than trying to take down a difficult boss only to respawn and find my blood vial stock was below 20. Using vials to heal damage while making my way to a boss is my own fault and fine, starting a run handicapped and needing to go buy/grind was bullshit.

As for Estus recharges IIRC you could gain them by people rating a message or killing enemies in an area you are exploring for the first time, basically working your way towards a bonfire. Invaders always gave you refills.

They wanted blood vials to matter. They wanted you to rely more on being aggressive and using the health back mechanic. They were trying to get people out of their Dark Souls plodding play style and use aggression as a tool. You may not like it but it's a bit goosey to suggest the designers were just throwing spaghetti at a wall until some stuck. They had a play style they were trying to guide people down and the way blood vials work is part of it.

Yet you pointed out they patched in an expanded stash for blood vials so that's them admitting they done fucked up. If they wanted blood vials to matter then they would be rarer, slower, with diminishing supplies you consider before using.

But instead there is a button dedicated to their use. The whole use of blood vials is quick and disposable with multiple vials needed to fully heal yourself should you mess up the rally mechanic which is easy to do when you're still learning the system. As for their rarity, they frequently toss a bunch into your face which is always balanced by the 20 inventory cap but then could be a problem if you're doing subsequent boss runs/deaths without finding more/purchasing more between runs. But there is another thing about the rarity: they're purchasable from very early on in the game--the only problem is their price scales with progression so unless you've been buying small amounts during each visit to the dream you won't be able to buy a large chunk unless you grind up/consume cold bloods for a bunch of echoes.

It was my ill luck that I messed up the blood vial glut and thus was left in grind town contemplating who's bright idea the system was. Otherwise yeah I might not be able to point out these (IMO) big flaws in the system.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    It's best to just hoard blood vials in the beginning of the game. Just buy buy buy. I would say by the time you are in the middle of the game then I hope you know what kind of play style is needed to not need so many blood vials and you also get some cool items like runes that help a lot.

• KlatuKlatu Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Once you open up level 1 of the university, blood vials become less of a hassle. 2-3 runs of the lecture hall and then back to dream to buy a bunch of vials. Until then I find the run from 2nd lamp to Gasc (3 big brick guys, 2 beast guys outside gasc room) yields a decent amount of vials. You can go kill the pig too for more if you want.

As I stated in the other thread in G&T, missus finished her first game, she started up another today and is trying to go bloodtinge. She wants to shoot beasts in the face. We'll see how she goes. She started a sorc run in DS3, but is having a hard time early game haha.

I finally got around to getting platinum trophy, had to finish the game twice more for the endings. NG+ and up Micolash can eat a bag of dicks. He's a simple fight in theory - but that tentacle takes off 80% of your life in one go, and while you're vialing up he just starts spamming call from beyond. My TV almost grew a controller at one point.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    Karoz
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think blood vials matter a lot more to speed runners than to ordinary players. To speed runners having enough vials and quitting on runs because they used too many is a legit thing.

To ordinary players, they are cheap enough or flatout farmable enough (e.g. from the two big dudes in Central Yharnam) that they can't really be thought of as being genuinely precious. They certainly aren't as precious as the things that cost Insight, but they aren't meant to be.

I especially given the lesson that gets drilled into players from the starting area about engaging enemies carefully because even with rally you can get swarmed to death, I don't find that the blood vials encourage a pace of play that is much less plodding than previous Dark Souls for players that are exploring new areas. Attrition-wise, 20 vials is a lot, but attrition is only a thing if you aren't suddenly dying from getting jumped on by way more dudes than you can handle.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Blood vials are only annoying when you're learning one of the harder bosses and run out of them midway.

I just want to keep trying the boss, but nope gotta go farm some mooks for vials because I usually won't have any echoes to buy vials either when I'm stuck on a boss.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
    KarozRainfall
    I imagine 9/10 players probably had no problem with blood vials until they hit a situation like Maytag describes.

I just happened to be that really unlucky 1/10 and found a major flaw in the system.

I still think Bloodborne is an awesome game all ps4 owners should play and I like the idea of playing as a hunter, gathering the proper and adequate supplies for your hunt. But blood vials are just too much of a necessity and can become a wall that if you hit it will begin raising questions of why that wall was built there in the first place.

While there are issues with life gems in 2 and using them to save estus charges made some people feel like they were cheating I never felt I needed to go out and grind them when I ran out. Estus was always there and always recharged, ready for another run.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am playing through NG+ right now and enemies are paper people. Shadows of Yharnam were the first bosses it took more than one try to kill.

It’s possible I was overlevelled at the end of my first play through.

Bogart wrote: »
    I am playing through NG+ right now and enemies are paper people. Shadows of Yharnam were the first bosses it took more than one try to kill.

It’s possible I was overlevelled at the end of my first play through.

It actually took me until over half way through the game to stop overlevelling, every time a boss killed me I'd gain a level before going back. Perhaps as a bit of fun choose a non-upgraded weapon?

• HugglesHuggles Future War Cult 4 lyfRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    My solution to blood vials was to never take damage

8-)

Huggles on
    Minecraft: Ginjinngear | Steam
    PSN: NAJBAR-AJO
    KarozCantidoMrGrimoireArmoroc
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I stopped playing after I took like nine years to beat a giant dude that I think had an exposed brain and really long reach but I do want to go back and finish this. I think I just finished going to an old castle that had werewolves outside? I wonder how much longer I have.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Grants us eyes

GRANT US EYESSSSSSSSSSS

RainfallKarozEndless_SerpentsNaphtaliMan in the MistsQanamil
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I stopped playing after I took like nine years to beat a giant dude that I think had an exposed brain and really long reach but I do want to go back and finish this. I think I just finished going to an old castle that had werewolves outside? I wonder how much longer I have.

I'd just Youtube that bullshit. There's a major shortcut past the spiders. You can even run past the Hunter on the bridge to get to it.

External sources are the only reason I can complete and enjoy Soulsborne games.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited December 2017
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Grants us eyes

GRANT US EYESSSSSSSSSSS

Ooh majestic! A hunter is a hunter, even in a dream!

I adore the voice of Micolash, like a retired rockstar who spent the 70's stoned out of his mind just woken up to see Dagon.

Endless_Serpents on
    KarozHakkekageRainfallNaphtaliMan in the Mists
This discussion has been closed.