This is the [Doctor Who] thread.

BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising OddsRegistered User, Moderator mod
And not a restaurant for the French.

Christmas special has just finished. Spoiler stuff for people in foreign lands.

Dark Raven XJazzZilla360jammuApocalyptusHarry DresdenUnlucky

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh thank the powers that be there's a thread.

I liked this a lot!

Main story
    of course the soldier was a Lethbridge-Stewart, that's so obvious we should've seen it coming a mile off. And not really an evil plan for once. And a non sickening Christmas tie in that's thematically appropriate. Top stuff imo.

Regeneration
    (s) Both very well done and cor that's a cliffhanger alright

Plus, proper Northern as well :D

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    JazzZilla360Rhesus PositiveCyvrosApocalyptusNarbusAl_watUnluckySaraLunaMancingtom
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    I thought it was pretty good. Definitely one of the better Christmas specials.

SnicketysnickZilla360mori1972LiiyaRhesus PositiveCyvrosNarbusAl_watUnluckyGonmunMancingtomMvrck
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lady Raven and I are seeing it a cinema, in two days. Aaaaugh, gotta resist the clips online...

Oh brilliant
    SnicketysnickHarry Dresden
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    That was a bit good, wasn't it?

SnicketysnickZilla360HyperBalladCyvrosApocalyptusUnlucky
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Regeneration is already up on the BBC youtube, if you don't want to go digging through the iplayer
    Yes, it's in the next spoiler, turn back!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I'm gonna watch this later.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Why the hell did the episode spend a good
    chunk pointing out how sexist/backwards 60s values the first Doctor is

We've kind of established that he is ancient by human standards so that bugged me a lot

The Escape Goat
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Loved it. I guessed both
    who The Captain would turn out to be related to
    and
    that The Christmas Truce would crop up
    but it didn’t lessen the impact of either moment at all. The whole episode was beautiful. Very pleased.

Zilla360
  • NecoNeco Carmilla, but way more lame Registered User regular
    Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Doctor!

Doctor Who?

Doctor w-err wait

Huh?

What?

mori1972Rhesus PositivewanderingJazzKid PresentableUnluckyZilla360The Escape GoatMancingtom
  • NecoNeco Carmilla, but way more lame Registered User regular
    I’m sorry

Kid Presentable
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I have to wait until 8pm Central for it to show in the U.S.

Krathoon on
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Hi I’ve been watching Christmas specials, and I have a question: I was watching one of eleven’s, the Christmas carol one, and I realized the like...victory music? Is amazing - is it specific to eleven? It’s like, bum bum bummmmm bum bum bah bum bum with trombones and trumpets and it makes me incredibly pumped up

cursedking on
    Each of the new Doctors has a "clever plan" bit of music and Eleven's is particularly solid yeah. This one if I am thinking of the same piece?

I really like Twelve's as well, which really fits as a follow-on from Eleven's

7qmGNt5.png
    UnluckyMichaelLC
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's called I Am The Doctor and yes it's radical. It's present and evolves through all of Smith's run. There's an interesting point where it switches focus from the upbeat strings to the slower, more heroic brass, after the show kinda gets retooled midway through Series 7.

The coolest variation of it remains unreleased, from Amy's Choice! ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I thought that this episode was touching and funny, which is what I want in my Who.
    Hooray, West Yorkshire Doctor!

I also liked that in the credits all the Doctors were credited as The Doctor

mori1972Kid PresentableCyvrosSnicketysnickApocalyptusAl_watDevlin_DragonusUnluckyGonmunZilla360pezgenSaraLunaMancingtomMvrck
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Doctor, Please do not drive and regenerate at the same time. It always goes bad for you.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    Kid PresentableCyvrosSnicketysnickApocalyptusRhesus PositiveSlacker1913NarbusGONG-00UnluckyZilla360SaraLuna
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bought this on Amazon. I'm hoping it's up soon.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

We've kind of established that he is ancient by human standards so that bugged me a lot

I mean,
    The 1st Doctor was very much like that in his stories, I'm not sure if having a sudden retcon or character change would be better (it may be, I don't know).
    Although I also wouldn't put it past Moffat to have put it in to emphasise how non-sexist his writing is by comparison given the (valid) complaints about much of his writing.

CyvrosUnlucky
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

I mean,
    The 1st Doctor was very much like that in his stories, I'm not sure if having a sudden retcon or character change would be better (it may be, I don't know).
    Although I also wouldn't put it past Moffat to have put it in to emphasise how non-sexist his writing is by comparison given the (valid) complaints about much of his writing.
    While also having a chance / excuse to write something sexist

CyvrosSleepApocalyptus
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2017
    The last thing that Moffat put into his version of Doctor Who was a harsh lesson about the skill of female drivers.

Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

JacobkoshUnlucky
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Alternatively "write your way out of this one, prick"

Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

UnluckyShadowhopeZilla360The Escape Goat
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The last thing that Moffat put into his version of Doctor Who was a harsh lesson about the skill of female drivers.

That was my immediate thought.

"First female doctor presses a button, and trashes the Tardis."

Great episode, though, and I'm really looking forward to the new series.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Well, the one defense of it is:
    Every single New Doctor Who regeneration has been in the Tardis and has also resulted in the thing crashing. Hell, I'd say 11->12 was the most silly and lazy. Perfectly tame regeneration, nothing wrong with the Tardis before hand, then... "We're probably crashing".

I don't think it was a conscience decision to do so with the first female Doctor. Just somewhat lazy, predictable writing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
    SleepCyvrosApocalyptusRhesus PositiveUnluckyZilla360
    The "oh, brilliant" was amazing.

CyvrosApocalyptusscherbchenUnluckyZilla360Captain Tragedy
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    oh hey a chance to post one of my favorite videos ever

CyvrosApocalyptusJacobkoshDevlin_DragonusNecoDesktop HippieGonmunZilla360MancingtomMvrck
    He was not expecting that, was he?

UnluckyMvrck
    I like how the Doctor is getting embarrassed by his previous self.

SleepNarbusCyvrosApocalyptusHarry DresdenUnluckyZilla360Mvrck
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Well, the one defense of it is:
    Every single New Doctor Who regeneration has been in the Tardis and has also resulted in the thing crashing. Hell, I'd say 11->12 was the most silly and lazy. Perfectly tame regeneration, nothing wrong with the Tardis before hand, then... "We're probably crashing".

I don't think it was a conscience decision to do so with the first female Doctor. Just somewhat lazy, predictable writing.
    Yeah I just thought it was tradition that every doctor starts their run in a crashing TARDIS

Sleep on
    King RiptorRhesus PositiveZilla360
    Christmas Special
    What did she say after the regeneration?

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Christmas Special
    What did she say after the regeneration?
    ”Oh, brilliant.”

Redcoat-13
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus What a wonderful harvest.Registered User regular
    A very nice episode
    I liked the use of the Christmas truce quite a bit, and segueing back into footage from Tenth Planet was very nice when it happened.

Kind of wish Clara had gotten to hug the Doctor instead of just being green-screened in.

Also kind of wish they'd stop having these bombastic, explosive regenerations. I think it did well in not calling attention to the Doctor's gender change though.

I do think the cliffhanger heading into the new series is very intriguing also.

CyvrosApocalyptusUnluckyZilla360
    Her regeneration energy will protect her from the fall.

CyvrosApocalyptusUnluckyZilla360
    also my old who knowledge is poor,
    Was the soliloquy at the end an echo of a first doctor soliloquy?

Krathoon wrote: »
    Her regeneration energy will protect her from the fall.
    I'm kinda hoping the last tardis move she made was to send it back beneath her via a short jump as it continues crashing

CyvrosApocalyptusZilla360JonBob
  • CyvrosCyvros London 1965Registered User regular
    Alternatively "write your way out of this one, prick"

Well, everything from Whittaker's face appearing onwards was written by Chibnall (like how everything in The End of Time from Smith's face appearing onwards was written by Moffat), so it's more of a "Write your way out of this one, me."

ApocalyptusCatalaseButlerHarry DresdenBeastehUnluckyThe Escape GoatMancingtomMvrck
  • GustavGustav Registered User regular
    By my figuring, this was easily the best regeneration story of the modern era of Who.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    SnicketysnickAl_watKneelUnluckyNarbuspezgenCyvrosApocalyptusSaraLunaMancingtom
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Sleep wrote: »
    also my old who knowledge is poor,
    Was the soliloquy at the end an echo of a first doctor soliloquy?
    I don't believe so. The first doctor didn't have a big goodbye speech like this, it just happened. The footage of that scene doesn't exist anymore, but the audio does, and it had an animation put to it.

The only real soliloquy he gave was when his granddaughter Susan became the first companion to leave the show (and has yet to even be mentioned thus far in the modern era)

madparrot on
    Cyvros
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Wait I could have sworn Susan had been mentioned. Didn't he even have a picture of her on his desk in his Uni office when he meets Bill?

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    ButlerNarbusKrathoon
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    An excellent sendoff by Moffatt, relieved he went out on top.

UnluckyCyvrosApocalyptus
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Verdict:

Yes

Yes

This is what I want

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.
    UnluckyHarry DresdenNarbusKing RiptorpezgenCyvrosApocalyptusMancingtom
This discussion has been closed.