We Did Everyone, We Won the War on Christmas

• AtomikaAtomika Gold-star Onanist Registered User regular
    I think I may start saying something like "have a gay Saturnalia"

"Let's go home and stoke the Yule log"

Captain InertiaEnclaveofGnomesNever Stop Making Poastwebguy20
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I read that as "stroke" the first 11 times

kimecB557TNTrooperSurfpossumEnclaveofGnomesDuke 2.0DisruptedCapitalistTynnanNever Stop Making PoastDronus86Feralwebguy20
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I read that as "stroke" the first 11 times

Working as intended?

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    AtomikaGonmunKristmas KthulhuEinzelwebguy20
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Important update:

I have been did.

icon.png facebookIcon.png tumblrIcon.png
    is this how nations are born
    DarmakcB557davidsdurionsLabelQuidJoeUserGonmunJazzjakobaggerKristmas KthulhuDisruptedCapitalistCouscousRandy ButternubbsTynnanTcheldorBlameless ClericGnizmoBeNarwhalwanderingEtchwartsArchKarozLucedesToxwebguy20emp123shoeboxjeddyElJeffe
  • chr1sh4ll3ttb3chr1sh4ll3ttb3 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "seasons greetings" has always been a good one for any folks I interact with but am unsure about their feelings towards Christmas.

webguy20
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    2k50xbwr6scb.jpg

I can't remember where I got this so sorry if it is a repost

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    jungleroomxdavidsdurionsRedTideEnclaveofGnomescB557electricitylikesmevalhalla130Lord_AsmodeuszepherinkimeBlameless ClericNever Stop Making PoastStollsEtchwartsArchEinzelKarozToxBahamutZEROemp123shoeboxjeddyGnome-Interruptus
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    I've been thinking.

In the spirit of Indigenous Peoples Day in Seattle taking over for Columbus Day, can we just say Happy Co-Opted Pagan Equinox Day?

Make. Time.
    wanderingKarozwebguy20
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I've been thinking.

In the spirit of Indigenous Peoples Day in Seattle taking over for Columbus Day, can we just say Happy Co-Opted Pagan Equinox Day?

Doesn't really roll off the tongue yknow

jungleroomxgodmodeDuke 2.0GonmunDisruptedCapitalistzepherinGnizmoToxwebguy20shoeboxjeddy
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I've been thinking.

Happy Notreallyaboutjesus Day?

Wait shit we're already at that point...

jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I've been thinking.

The anagram for that is basically Hope day tho.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    kime
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Registered User regular
    Sumptuous Saturnalia?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    Kristmas Kthulhu
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Supreme Sol Invictus!

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Smashing Six-Months past Midsummer!

PSN: Honkalot
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Smashing Six-Months past Midsummer!

Doesn't really translate globally though, I suggest "Happy Summer" and damn you northerners.

orthanc
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I fucking love the bitter cold. Throwing on a coat, scarf, gloves, and beanie before setting out is one of the best feelings.

The best thing was getting a pair of warm undies fresh from the dryer on a cold winter morning. Sadly I haven't been able to recreate that as an adult, the laundromat didn't appreciate me trying.

Kristmas KthulhuKlytusKarozToxemp123shoeboxjeddy
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    Why can't we just call it Sun Fest?

Bucketman
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I've been thinking.

solstice.

NecoSorcePLAToxGnome-Interruptus
  • AtomikaAtomika Gold-star Onanist Registered User regular
    I actually dig the philosophical teachings of Jesus, so I’m happy to celebrate his birthday as a festive outpouring of personal connection and thinking about our fellow man

What we need is big celebration for all of our great humanitarian philosophers, reminding us all of their lessons and beliefs.

zepherinjungleroomx21stCenturyKristmas Kthulhuitalianranmachr1sh4ll3ttb3HakkekageDuke 2.0davidsdurionsEtchwartsKarozjgeisOrthancToxLord PalingtonshoeboxjeddyGnome-Interruptus
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I actually dig the philosophical teachings of Jesus, so I’m happy to celebrate his birthday as a festive outpouring of personal connection and thinking about our fellow man

What we need is big celebration for all of our great humanitarian philosophers, reminding us all of their lessons and beliefs.

i'm not a fan of Jesus' methods, though. Like when he literally kicked the moneylenders' tables in the temple before whipping them out. Wouldn't a strongly worded letter to his governor have not worked better? Violence only begets violence, after all.

• zepherinzepherin Registered User regular

Feliz NaviGhandi

Duke 2.0AtomikaOrthancGvzbgul
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist koyaanisqatsi Registered User regular
    Happy Kwanzaa!

KarozLucedestynic

Actual Jesus doesn't really match up with Modern American Jesus very well, agreed.

Make. Time.
    AtomikaKayne Red RobeLord_Asmodeuskimechr1sh4ll3ttb3dispatch.oDuke 2.0JazzEtchwartsKarozjgeisTox
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Is Santa our prisoner? Do we send him to the Hague for enslaving elves and talking reindeer?

Harry Dresden on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Happy Kwanzaa!

d5bpli0mrvh7.png

chr1sh4ll3ttb3Duke 2.0DisruptedCapitalistcB557KarozGvzbgulLucedesshoeboxjeddyJoolanderGnome-Interruptus
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

Actual Jesus doesn't really match up with Modern American Jesus very well, agreed.

Honestly even the "philosophical humanitarian" version of Jesus is a selective reading of the individual as he is constructed in the bible. It has more textual support than ultra-conservative-hates-gays-supply-side Jesus for sure but it's still not a wholistic understanding of the character and what he says and does. Which is almost inevitable because the text and the way it was constructed leaves him as kind of a hodge podge composite character, with lots of various conflicting and contradictory attitudes, ideas and methodologies.

Unfortunately while he does say some good things he also says a lot of horrible things, some of which directly contradict those good things. He also says just a lot of just plain weird and stupid things that tend to be taken as metaphorical nowadays based on our current ethics and morality but in context are often just dumb nonsense that comes as baggage from living when he did (or from the writers living around when he did, depending on how you want to look at it)

For instance his saying "nothing that goes into a man by his mouth can harm him, only that which can come out of his mouth can do harm" (sorry for the paraphrasing), is often interperetted as Jesus saying don't say awful things about people, or don't do harm with your words. But lots of interpretations and translations, especially given the context, actually lean pretty heavily towards this being him warning about literal spoken magic curses.

I think of all the versions it's great that humanitarian Jesus is the more accepted and promoted version of him, unfortunately a more accurate version of him in my opinion would be as a Jewish radical cult leader whos overwhelming teachings and sayings are about the end of the world being nigh and that you should all get ready for it. That's what's the bulk of the bible says about him, that he was gods son and the end was coming so buckle up bitches

Still I'm not opposed to celebrating his good teachings, I just feel like it's less his teachings that are moral, and more that moral people tend to gravitate towards the moral parts of the teachings ascribed to him. Similarly less moral people can find and point to his awful shit just as easily.

Prohass on
    Kristmas KthulhuHarry DresdenImperatorXXVcB557KarozOrthancSolarCommander Zoom
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Prohass wrote: »

For instance his saying "nothing that goes into a man by his mouth can harm him, only that which can come out of his mouth can do harm" (sorry for the paraphrasing), is often interperetted as Jesus saying don't say awful things about people, or don't do harm with your words. But lots of interpretations and translations, especially given the context, actually lean pretty heavily towards this being him warning about literal spoken magic curses.

Don't really do religion talk on the internets, but I'm kind of curious about this. As I've never heard of any interpretation/translation suggesting this. I mean, several lines down he says:
    16 “Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. 17 “Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”

And the context is all clapback because the pharisees were all why ur dudes no wash hands or whatever. Could you provide an example of such an interpretation or translation?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Kristmas KthulhuFremKaroz
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trying to turn a preacher with puritanical views on sexual immorality, including believing divorce was unlawful and condemning remarriage, into a leftist hero was never going to work well.

DouglasDanger
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Santa Claus is a decent man and ambitious opportunist on the wrong side of history.

AresProphet
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trying to turn a preacher with puritanical views on sexual immorality, including believing divorce was unlawful and condemning remarriage, into a leftist hero was never going to work well.

Lord Palington
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    If you're a good person who loves family, treats others with kindness and gives gifts without a need to receive them in exchange then why would you need a special day that is preceded by retailers drooling over whatever hot ticket item will get people in the store to literally assault each other?

Christmas season is a pretty dark time for humanity every year, especially if you consider that every year the goal is to recreate the baby boomer Christmas and get some people shopping. I like to think going to a movie, hanging out with friends instead of family and acknowledging other traditions with "Happy Holidays" is just baby boomers getting a little more irrelevant and letting the following 4 fucking generations have a little cultural agency.

Happy Holidays motherfuckers.

Karoz
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think we are getting closer to the point where holidays exist in name only and we're all expected to work through them. I'll take the tradition if it means I get to keep the holiday a little while longer

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Eddy
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    I think we are getting closer to the point where holidays exist in name only and we're all expected to work through them. I'll take the tradition if it means I get to keep the holiday a little while longer

A return to the pre Labor Movement norm.

Checks out.

Never Stop Making Poastchr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • TurambarTurambar Avocado at law Registered User regular
    I can't believe we did everyone

Great work, team

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar
    BeNarwhalTynnancB557Honk
  • AresProphetAresProphet I see a darkness in my fate I'll drive my car without the brakesRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Great work, team

Vaseline and loose boxers for everyone

oh, gimme some time
    show me the foothold from which I can climb
    yeah, when I feel low
    you show me a signpost for where I should go
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

Great work, team

Vaseline and loose boxers for everyone

Is the opposite of tighty whities loosey gooseys?

AresProphet
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I've been thinking.

We could always shorten it to an anagram. Happy COPED. I know I've been coping with this season for decades, so it kinda works.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Fuck me I've only just now noticed my typo.

I'm keeping it.

BeNarwhalDisruptedCapitalistTynnanJazzJoeUserDuke 2.0tastydonutswazillacB557crimsoncoyoteKarozSurfpossumKristmas KthulhuLabeldavidsdurionsArdoltynicHonkToxMadEddywebguy20Commander Zoomchr1sh4ll3ttb3emp123
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

I'm keeping it.

That....wasn't intentional?

KarozEddyJobless AnarchistMoridin889ElvenshaeTox
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Looooool I didn't even notice the typo. Even after repeatedly seeing this thread title.

aS9YV.png

DisruptedCapitalistAresProphetLabelEddyToxwebguy20chr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

I'm keeping it.

I'm not sure of how to interpret this.

NightDragoncB557KarozNever Stop Making Poast
This discussion has been closed.