I got this far.

4dkQuUr.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
Torchlight | Steam | ART
Doodmann on

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    rip

DoodmannAbdhyiusMegaMekToxgodmodeQuiddescMr Fuzzbuttjgeischr1sh4ll3ttb3H3KnucklesBucketmanronyaDisruptedCapitalistArchspool32
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    You got to fix the middle corners

My fangerz just move themselves at this point but I learned one pretty easy algo for those particular blocks

Third layer is the most annoying, algorithm-wise, because unless you're straight-up speedcubing, that layer alone takes like four-ish separate routines to go through and you have to trust your hand memory

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • QanamilQanamil life cheated us all and i'm full of angst Registered User regular
    spin to win

AiouaH3Knuckles
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Don’t get attached to the white side

Advice for you and the country

VRXwDW7.png
    godmodeH3Knucklesspool32
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

My fangerz just move themselves at this point but I learned one pretty easy algo for those particular blocks

Third layer is the most annoying, algorithm-wise, because unless you're straight-up speedcubing, that layer alone takes like four-ish separate routines to go through and you have to trust your hand memory

I think this was a literal "gitgud" post.

Torchlight | Steam | ART
    QanamilDuke 2.0ToxdescSleepTynnanchr1sh4ll3ttb3Kristmas KthulhuH3KnucklesBucketmanronyaQuantumTurkTheBlackWindLegacycredeikiHefflingArchDelmainspool32Feral
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Do what I always do: Break out a screwdriver. Pry all the blocks off and put them back on in the layout that works for you.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    Dark Raven XzepherinTofystedethGnizmoMoridin889Lost SalientH3KnucklesBucketmanDisruptedCapitalistAimOmnipotentBagelTheColonel
    Doodmann wrote: »

There's no other way to cube

I mean I could tell you how to move the 2nd layer blocks into position but what would you have personally gained

the love of a woman???

DoodmannH3Knucklesspool32Feral
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I mean, I was trying to impress my wife so...no, you're right.

Torchlight | Steam | ART
    ToxEddyTofystedethJoolanderKristmas KthulhuH3KnucklesBucketmanArchFeral
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular

I've settled on basically doing the first two layers as though I'm speedcubing, then solving with the beginner's method from there.

It... works. And I didn't need to memorize the 80-some algorithms for the PLL and OLL

Eddy
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    I always just google it

Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Peewi
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I can teach you how to Dougie instead, if you'd like.
    I cannot teach you how to Dougie.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    NecoBucketmanspool32Gooey
    You could always clench a cube so hard between your buttocks you smash it; I think that would impress a wife

Duke 2.0Doodmannspool32Feral
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Also I haven't been practicing because my 8-month-old-daughter claimed the rubix cube.

She mostly just spins it to mess it up and then puts it in her mouth, which is an interesting way of going about it.

Also I think my wife is trying to tell me something when she keeps putting it away with the baby toys.

EddydescDuke 2.0chr1sh4ll3ttb3ToxTheBlackWindH3Knuckles
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    I made fun of a coworker for not being able to figure it out.

He said I should solve it then and tossed it at me. I dropped it in the trash, first try.

Gordian knot motherfuckers.

H3KnucklesArchspool32Kaplar
    incredibly-huge-rubiks-cube-solved-in-8-hours.jpg

what in the

Duke 2.0QuidBucketmanH3KnucklesDisruptedCapitalistArchFeral
  • descdesc the '87 stick up kids Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

There's no other way to cube

I mean I could tell you how to move the 2nd layer blocks into position but what would you have personally gained

the love of a woman???

Is that

Is that the reward for a Rubik's?

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Samurai Cube

VRXwDW7.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The best solution I came up with, back when I was fiddling about, solves a 2x2x2 block, extends that to a 2x2x3 block, then solves an adjacent 2x1x2 block so that it solves the bottom two layers except for one edge and one corner.

From there, you solve the remaining edges at once, and then you just have to solve the last five corners.

It's not going to win you any speed cubing competitions, but it's reasonably fast (you can do it in about a minute), takes reasonably few moves (I think it averages about 80 or so) and is almost entirely based on intuition instead of memorizing algorithms.

Everything up until you solve the final edges you can do just by reasoning it through (and practice), and then even the edges can be solved just by working it out on the fly (though you'll develop your own simple algorithms for doing this). At that point, there's probably fancy stuff to memorize, but you can make do with three algorithms: one to rotate a triplet of corners, one to shift a triplet of corners and keep the same color facing up, and one to swap a pair of corners.

At that point, it's simple to learn the inverse of the triplet cycles so you can do them clockwise or counterclockwise, but that's optional.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    This is how I learned:

I made a list of his algorithms and notes on when to use them, then just worked on memorizing them.

And man would I recommend anyone getting into cubing get a speed cube. I got the one in the OP first and it works, but I can't stand to use it now after getting used to a Moyu. I think I have this one and it was about the same price as my actual Rubik's cube:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q094SIU

Sir Carcass on
    DoodmannH3Knuckles
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If you're not solving your cube with one of these, you're doing it wrong.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    cB557Rainfallchr1sh4ll3ttb3QanamilJoolanderQuidH3KnuckleszepherindavidsdurionsDelmainFeral
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Ok, so are you ready for some abstract instructions that you can't follow because they're too vague? Well here we go!

1. Find a cube in the bottom Layer that needs to go in the second layer. (like one of those qt green cubes in the bottom, at least one of them belongs either to the left or right of that comfy looking green square in the very center of the cube).
    2. Turn the whole cube so that the face of the cube it belongs in is facing you (like, if you were gonna go with one of those tasty green squares, rotate the cube so the green face is facing you like it already is in the picture).
    3. Look at the bottom of that chunky cube you're gonna move into position. It should match either the face to the left or to the right of the face that's facing you (in this case it should be red or orange).
    4. Rotate the bottom layer so that the piece of interest is facing away from the color in step 3's face. (IE, if the bottom of the green square is orange, rotate the bottom layer so the green cube is facing away from orange/towards red).
    5. Rotate the face of step 3's color down one step (so that the top corner of that face moves towards you and then down -- in our hypothetical scenario, we would be rotating the left hand face clockwise one step).
    6. Rotate the bottom layer one step so that the piece we selected in step 1 lines up with the color it belongs to (green in this case).
    7. Rotate the face from step 5 up one step (doing step 5 backwards).
    8. Now, you should see the cube in a really familiar state. We broke the top layer, but it should be one cube away from being correct. You should be able to fix it without specific instructions and when it's fixed you should find that the piece we selected in step 1 is in his cozy forever-home, but in case you need extra instructions:
    9. Find the top-layer square that it out of place (it should be white in this case) it should be right in front of you (although it may be facing to the side). Rotate it one step to align it with the top layer.
    10. Rotate the 3-long row of top layer color (white) away from you.
    11. Undo the rotation of step 9
    12. Undo the rotation of step 10.
    13. Ta Da!
    14. Feel good about yourself.

Now, it is possible that all the cubes in layer 2 are already in layer 2 but are in the wrong spots and/or facing the wrong way. IE, none of the cubes in layer 3 belong in layer 2 but layer 2 still isn't solved correctly. The solution to that is find one of the layer 2 cubes that's wrong and use the above steps to put a different wrong cube into it's spot. This should spit that layer 2 cube into layer 3, allowing you to use the steps again to put it where it actually belongs.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    For Christmas my bff got me a Hellraiser Lament Configuration rubik's cube, which is currently configured properly and will forever be that way if I have anything to say about it

Plus obviously, ain't want to do it wrong and then open a portal into a hell dimension

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    chr1sh4ll3ttb3Sir Carcass
  • NecoNeco Carmilla, but way more lame Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I can teach you how to Dougie instead, if you'd like.
    I cannot teach you how to Dougie.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    DID SOMEONE SAY CUBIX

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Guys, I solved this pretty quick. I feel like I deserve a reward of some sort

Box.png

V0iJ9AS.png
    Feral
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    See what you do is look for them part you want to switch and hold your thumb against it til the stickers glue softens then peel off the sticker and put where it's needed. Repeat til done

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Strikor
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    All you need to do is convert the cube into a hypercube and then do your Rubixing in the fourth dimension. Doing so lets you interpolate between 3D points smoothly, allowing you to move the squares to where you need without issue.

H3Knuckles
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I used to know how to solve Rubik's but somehow forgot everything. Managed to figure out the algorithm for the middle sides again on my own but knew I'd never be able to figure out past that, it just becomes bullshit.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My sister had a friend in high school who could do one in under a minute without looking directly at it.

As far as I'm concerned he was a wizard who had sold his soul to the devil for cube powers.

H3KnucklesDisruptedCapitalist
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My sister had a friend in high school who could do one in under a minute without looking directly at it.

As far as I'm concerned he was a wizard who had sold his soul to the devil for cube powers.
    A dude I worked with 10 years ago could do this. He would look at it once, put it behind his back and solve it in about 2 minutes.

H3Knuckles
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    rip

desc
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    This is how I learned:

I made a list of his algorithms and notes on when to use them, then just worked on memorizing them.

And man would I recommend anyone getting into cubing get a speed cube. I got the one in the OP first and it works, but I can't stand to use it now after getting used to a Moyu. I think I have this one and it was about the same price as my actual Rubik's cube:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q094SIU

Since I'm at my computer, I'll go ahead and post the notes I made before I memorized them. I recommend watching the videos at least once for these to make a little more sense:

F - rotate front face clockwise
    Fi - rotate front face counter-clockwise
    U - up clockwise
    Ui - up counter-clockwise
    L - left clockwise
    Li - left counter-clockwise
    R - right clockwise
    Ri - right counter-clockwise
    D - down clockwise
    Di - down counter-clockwise
    Cross
    Fi U Li Ui - if one edge of your cross is flipped the wrong way, put it on the top front and do this to rotate it

Cross Corners
    Ri Di R D - to move corner from bottom front right to top front right. do twice to rotate top front right corner.

Middle Row
    Flip solved side to bottom, find a top cross piece without the center color (so if you have the yellow side at the top now, find an edge piece without yellow), rotate to line up the bottom side color with it's side and do one of these:
    Ui Li U L U F Ui Fi - to move top center piece to left middle
    U R Ui Ri Ui Fi U F - to move top center piece to right middle

If a piece is in the right place but flipped the wrong way, do one of the algorithms to swap a top piece with it, then move it back

Last Side Cross
    You have 1 of 4 setups:
    center dot
    backwards L
    line
    cross

F R U Ri Ui Fi - if dot, do to get L. put L facing upper left, do to get horizontal line, then do again to get cross

Rotate top so that at least 2 vertical lines on sides line up
    R U Ri U R U U Ri - If 2 sides are across from each other, hold so one is facing you and do algorithm to made them adjacent
    R U Ri U R U U Ri U - If 2 sides are adjacent, put so one is in right hand and the other is up, this algorithm should line all sides up

Getting final side corners
    This is to move corners to correct position, but not necessarily facing the right way. Find unsolved one in correct position and hold so it's in bottom right position, then do:
    U R Ui Li U Ri Ui L - Once or twice should get all corners in correct position

Correcting Corners
    Hold so an unsolved corner is at bottom right and do:
    Ri Di R D - Repeat until corner is facing right way, then rotate JUST UP LAYER so another unsolved corner is at bottom right and repeat

Do final top rotation

This took me maybe 2 or 3 days to fully memorize, and now like Eddy mentioned, I don't even think about moves, my fangerz just do them. I probably average around a minute to a minute and a half. I'm not speed cuber by any means, but it's basically mindless fun for me at this point.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Turn the middle side topwise.

Topwise.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    #pipeJoolanderchr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    dude...
    you got to FLIP it.
    TURN-WAYS

miscellaneousinsanity on
    #pipeMr Fuzzbuttchr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Step 1: Google how 2 solve rubix cube.
    Step 2: Memorize algorithm
    Step 3: Solve rubix cube in front of people.
    Step 4: Pretend 2 B smrt.

EddyCogDisruptedCapitalist
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Rubix cube didn't come with the instructions on how to solve it?

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Somewhere I have the 4x4x4, which was fun to mess with knowing some of the 3x3x3 algorithms, but I never managed to solve it

I got it to where I'd have the top two rows and the central 2x2 of each face solved, but all my tricks stopped working there

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Just film yourself scrambling it then put it in reverse.

FYYss9j.png
    Dronus86H3Knuckles
    Just film yourself scrambling it then put it in reverse.

davidsdurionsH3Knuckles
This discussion has been closed.