Goals, Plans, and Hopes for the [2018] New Year

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
We are in the final days of 2017! While I've personally never been hugely into the idea of "New Year Resolutions" that inevitably peter out within the first month, I do enjoy thinking about the positive things the upcoming year may bring and how I might help facilitate those things.

It can be very easy to focus on the many negatives from the past year. It can also be very easy to focus on the things you may not have accomplished that you were hoping to. A lot of things happened that were out of our personal control, but in moments like this I try to think of the things that I can do, and the new year can help bring along that boost of motivation to help jump start these goals.

Let's try to focus on the positive things we can do in the upcoming year, for ourselves and for others. Maybe you would like to learn how to cook! Maybe you realize you should be kinder to yourself. Maybe you want to strengthen your relationships. Maybe you want to run a marathon. Whatever it is, let's talk about it and offer support to our fellow forumers in their journeys!

firewaterwordChanus

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    For me, I would like to be a bit more prolific this year with my art. I must say this every year, but I think it's just a slow learning process for me where I get a little better at it each time. :) I'm becoming better at accepting failure and forgiving myself when I make mistakes or create work that isn't up to my own standards. I've learned that struggle means I'm challenging myself, and pushing through and accepting the struggle means that I'm actively working to improve.

I feel like I have a much better grasp of where I need to go and what I need to do now than I have in previous years, which is great. I've been extremely happy with how well my freelancing has been going, and feel like it's offered me a huge amount of freedom and variety that I was a bit starved for beforehand. This upcoming year will have a strong focus for me on further building my career and hopefully I'll make some big strides!

On the relationship side, I've managed to reconnect to some family this past year. Part of it was super hard, but I was very thankful for it, and it's opened up the opportunity to see that same family a lot more in 2018, which I'm excited about.

I managed to finally lose the bulk of weight that I'd been slowly gaining for the past few years, and I finally feel like myself again. I took a break around the holidays, and for 2018 I plan on finishing up the remaining lbs and getting back down to the weight I was before I started gaining. Super glad to have had so much success in this, and it gives me a lot of motivation and hope for the remaining few lbs.

Also, I'm going to be voting in the midterm elections for the first time in my life. So there's that!

tynicDoodmannJimothyfirewaterwordBeNarwhalDouglasDangergodmodeRchanenShadowfireDisruptedCapitalistAngelinaTynnandescdanxChanusthatassemblyguyDesktop HippieSolarHacksawsarukun
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I did a lot of preparatory stuff this year so.most of.my goals involve ongoing projects.

Small Goals:
    Finalize my current poster and continue doing print runs
    Get into some kind of gallery show
    I have a couple long term art projects I would like to finish (and print)
    I need to finish the cinder block wall in my backyard
    Expand my app with regular updates and upgrades

Stretch Goals:
    Find a new job or get paid more at my current job

Dream Goals:
    Become self employed through art and freelancing
    Have Torchlight buy Hufpo, win a Pulitzer for dank meme article art

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    NightDragongodmodeDisruptedCapitalistAngelinadanxChanusthatassemblyguyfurlion
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I’d like to get back in shape and maintain it this time. I tend to drop 10-12 pounds by Feb/March and then lose control of my appetite for the rest of the year

I’m planning on going back to therapy, and I’d like to find someone who believes in sharing a diagnosis with their patient. Maybe I don’t even tick enough boxes to actually have anything, but I’d like the peace of mind of just knowing

I’m signed up for the marathon for the fifth year in a row. I dropped ten minutes this year (down to 3:42) and I’d like to drop at least that much. If I can break 3:30, I’ll be very happy

I plan on continuing to take improv classes. I’m already signed up for 301, my first long form class. I’d like to get on a house team once those auditions come around again

The podcast I was cast as the lead in launches soon, and I’m planning to give it my all. I found I was doubting myself while recording the actual episodes, so I need to tell my imposter syndrome to shut up and do a good job. My hope is that it’s successful and opens doors to other projects

I have a callback in a couple weeks with a professional theatre company. In addition to steady pay, it would mean getting my first four EMC points towards union membership. I’m going to do everything I can to prepare, but there’s definitely an element of hope involved. I hope I’m right for a role in the show, and if I get it I hope it’s the first of many

As always, I hope to find a steady girlfriend and a healthy relationship. I imagine the whole “going back to therapy” thing will factor into that, as I work through my self-esteem issues

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the new year and I hope all of you are too!

NightDragongodmodeDisruptedCapitalistAngelinaTynnanChanusthatassemblyguy
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    keep going to therapy.
    look for a new job.
    get Lasik.
    find a stylist and aquire hair I don't hate.
    have a primary care physician and do preventative healthcare things for the first time in 20+ years.
    exercise
    become a member of a social group other than the local Burn community.
    get naked and snuggle with more people.

This machine kills threads.
    NightDragongodmodeDisruptedCapitalistAngelinaTynnandanxChanusthatassemblyguy
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Goal 2018:
    -Buy bed
    -Decorate apartment in general
    -Stop sleeping on pull-out couch now that you have bed
    -Run marathon
    -Run half marathon if not marathon
    -Run 10k race if not half marathon
    -Run 5k race if not 10k
    -Get at least one more platinum trophy
    -Keep it posi

PSN: Honkalot
    godmodeDisruptedCapitalistAngelinaChanusthatassemblyguy
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know Texas booniesRegistered User regular
    Exercise is definitely the big thing for me. Not even for losing weight primarily, save for the fact that that'll help out my knees, just that I'm an out of shape fuck in general.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin most days
    godmodeChanusthatassemblyguy
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    2017 was a very successful year for me, so I'd like to keep the ball rolling and try not to fall back in a rut next year. I'd like to maintain my workout schedule and if not drop weight, at least focus on getting in shape and work on not getting discouraged when I don't shrink right away. I want to cook more for myself, stop being so lazy and relying on restaurants for so many meals.
    I'm going to be leveraging my recent job successes to try and land a job out in Japan, even if it's just something for a few years. If I can't make it happen, instead I'll be finally deciding on a home to buy for the first time.
    I'd like to go on some dates at some point, brain spider-permitting, and hopefully my other goals may feed into that a bit (except for relocating internationally, I suppose).

Oh, and I'd like to at some point unpack the boxes that I have been moving from apartment to apartment for approximately 6 years. Maybe maintain an actual cleaning schedule or something.

ChanusthatassemblyguyHacksaw
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Gonna start my undergrad in preparation for med school, carry on with my transition stuff and hopefully get an official name change, and continue reconstructing my life after everything that happened this fucking year.

godmodeNightDragonDisruptedCapitalistChanusthatassemblyguymori1972Couscous
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    There's plenty to improve upon in 2018 with a focus on:

- Spend more of my time reading about child development and with the little squishy person herself. I think I'm off to a good start 3 months in but the only constant is change with the buggers so I want to keep on the ball.
    - Keep up the fitness regime and be open with my trainer if I feel I'm slipping back into being blergh with it. I want to be under 100kg and 2018 is the year it's going to happen.
    - Spend more time with my folks as it's going to be a hard year for them with dementia starting to kick in with my old man.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    DisruptedCapitalistNightDragonChanusthatassemblyguygodmode
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    Not doing the resolution thing but I have been trying to build positive habits for a while and plan to continue with them in 2018. Daily drawing is almost a habit. Just needs some more time and a little nudge. I hit a rough patch with it recently where it became more frustrating than fun but I'm telling myself that's part of developing a skill. Sticking with stuff during the tough parts has always been something I've struggled with a lot. Hopefully drawing functions as a a fun way to build some mental discipline to overcome the negative habits by building positive ones instead and give me some confidence.

Which leads into the other habit I'm trying to develop. Either finishing a game or drawing a line under it. Got quite a list of games piling up that went unfinished I thought I'd get back to but don't and more games added to the list. I also have developed the habit of restarting campaigns a lot especially in games like Divinity or Total Warhammer. It's made gaming unfun and I'm not sure why it became a habit. I'm determined to turn these habits into something more positive so a game is either finished or I'm taking the decision I'm finished with it.

I've also been keeping diaries for drawing and gaming. That's been really helpful for drawing to get the frustrations out and tracking the positives. It's also helped set realistic goals by letting me reflect on my progress and how much was actually doable to better inform the next set of goals. Journaling/diary writing and note taking for gaming was surprisingly useful too. I play a lot of games and tend to forget things or have difficulty remembering my opinions on them later. Making quick entries has helped organise those thoughts and keep track of information especially for complex games. I like thinking about game design and reading others experiences with games too.

TeeManDisruptedCapitalistChanusthatassemblyguyNightDragongodmode
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My overarching goal for 2018 is to lose serious weight. I'm as heavy as I've ever been and that needs to change. Everything else I do in the year (getting more exercise, eating better, getting outside more) is going to be in service of dropping poundage. I'm ultimately looking to be ~100lbs lighter at some point (somewhere right around 200lbs, which would make me "cosmetically overweight"), but I'll be happy if I can drop half of that in the calendar year.

ChanusthatassemblyguyNightDragongodmode
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Get better at music production! Enter some mixing and mastering competitions.

Learn more about machine learning/neural nets! Enter some kaggle competitions.

Start learning unity or unreal engine! Make a shitty little game for practice.

I'll probably manage two out of these three.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm going to get in better shape, and manage my asthma and plantar fasciitis more effectively

I'm going to figure out what type of MBA I want and start that process

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    i lost 35 lbs this year and it’s literally the first time in my life i’ve weighed less on christmas than i did the year before

i’ve increased muscle mass as a percentage of my body weight in that time as well

so 2018 for me will primarily be a focus on continuing to get in better physical shape now that i’ve basically gotten myself down into a weight range i am more comfortable with

**Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    thatassemblyguyNightDragongodmodeTeeManDouglasDangermori1972SolarMarty81Al_watCommander Zoom
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    the second half of 2018 is pretty much out of my control but for the first 6 months I'm going to try to do things that need to be done when they need to be done rather than doing them 'later' and try to find some balance in my life and the activities I do.

thatassemblyguyChanusNightDragongodmode
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Endure yet another year.

V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

thatassemblyguyNightDragongodmodecooljammer00ChanusHacksawCommander Zoom
  • HenroidHenroid Seize the Memes Registered User regular
    2016 and 2017 were successes for the most part in personal goals so 2018 should continue that trend.

For me it's to get back into shape as I became a potato during 2017. Maybe even past my usual shape, and actually get strong to some degree instead of being a wimp.

Also 2018 is going to be the year I get recognition for music. I'm off to a late start for it but... I will make it happen. I have to. I'm not going to resign myself to being a low-hourly-wage monkey anymore. I'm better than that damn it. RAWR motivation!

Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    I stream at night - /henroidt on Twitch
    thatassemblyguyNightDragonJimothygodmodeChanus
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    Hmm. Near the end of 2017, besides the Christmas festivities, I started to eat healthier and get back into exercising, so I need to continue that trend as much as possible.

Also near the end of 2017 I had kind of a system shock where hanging out with people made me somehow less content as I recognize what I might be letting myself miss out on? So I guess I'm gonna try to be more social and keep in touch with more people.

Also it's going to be a busy first half of the year at work, minimum, so I'm going to have to steel myself for that.

And all of that's going to require putting more mental energy into things besides existing than I have in a while, so hopefully that's doable.

You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
    thatassemblyguyNightDragongodmodeChanus
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Goals and plans, hmm.

Personally, I want to run more, and for general fitness and strength I should probably lift some things repetitively which means rejoining the (ugh) gym. Mental note: find a gym buddy at work.

I have a bunch of professional goals which aren't terribly interesting to anyone outside a close circle, but I do really want to focus on Getting Some Shit Done research-wise. This year was pretty disrupted for personal reasons, and I did not achieve everything I wanted to. OTOH I also need to make sure I take some breathing time for myself, so figuring out how to balance all of that is something I'm going to tackle in January.

More generally, I need to start looking at new jobs, and one thing I want to make sure is that the work I'm doing is not only interesting and professionally fulfilling, but morally satisfying - what I'm doing has to genuinely make the world a better place (not just in self-fellating tech hypotheticals). So when I get back to the US I'm going to be doing more outreach to environmental/sustainable technology initiatives, to start with.

thatassemblyguyJimothyThat Dave FellaNightDragonChanusHacksawgodmode
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I have very high hopes for the 2018 holiday forum

tynicthatassemblyguyNightDragonChanusgodmode
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    1) Find a job that earns more than 13k a year,
    2) Figure it out from there.

thatassemblyguyNightDragonChanusHenroidgodmode
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Write more. Exercise more. I’ll figure out the concrete goals, but that sums it up.

Also I got a digital camera for Christmas so I have a vague idea of taking a photo with it every day so I have a visual summary of my year by the end of it.

JazzNightDragonChanusgodmodeTynnan
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Clean and organize the house. I want there to be no more moving boxes. Just nice organized stuff.

NightDragonChanusgodmode
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    More exercise, less drinking, try to make a relationship work, get a promotion at work, redecorate the flat.

I reckon I'm on to a decent start at least!

zepherinDouglasDangerNightDragonChanusgodmode
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Quitting my job of 13 years and moving out of state in April!
    Gonna try my hand at community college again, 8 years later.
    One of my big bro's, is buying their first home, gonna try living there.
    I'm excited, and there's no drama with employers or family.

VayBJ4e.png
    zepherinJimothyNightDragonChanusgodmodeDesktop Hippie
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Survive.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    furlionzepherinChanusJazzHacksawgodmodeLost SalientCommander ZoomDesktop Hippie
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Get rid of some debt. Preferably all of the credit cards and car loan. After that try and get the credit scores of my wife and I up high enough to buy a house. Or barring that at least start saving for one. Other then that same thing as every year, maintain my health, maybe do some strength training, be the best dad and husband I can be, and try to enjoy life.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    ChanusthatassemblyguyzepherinJoeUserVirgil_Leads_Yougodmodedestroyah87
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I am going to get a cat before year's end.

This is my only resolution.

furliontynicJimothygodmodeRainfallNightDragonJazzTynnanIncenjucar
This discussion has been closed.