UHD/HDR 4K TV for gaming - Samsung still good?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited December 2017 in 2017 Holiday Hangout
I’m thinking of getting a 4K TV in January, or thereabouts. I’m happy with my 1080p Plasma of 5-6 years, but I think it’s time to upgrade.

I remember reading last year that the Samsung KS models were really good for gaming since they have very low latency.

Is that still true with the new MU models? Any recommendations here?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
Drez on

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I dont know about the MU models, i seem to remember that they are lower tier than the KS.

I have a 55 inch KS8000 which i have my pc connected to and it is great. Looks great, no noticeable input delay issues for me. Had to tweak the settings to get it to really pop but in the end it was worth it.

Of course if you're going PC gaming at 4k, you're also going to need a beast of a computer.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I think I just need to upgrade my video card. I have one 980 Ti but other than that it’s a beast.

edit: but I also plan to upgrade to an Xbox One Xbox 1 Xbox I Xbox and PS4 Pro.

Drez on
    Seems like KS beats MU in most categories except motion blur (MU has 11 ms response time, KS has 18 ms). The QLED QN series is apparently the true successor to the KS series. Basically, the KS and the QN have the Quantum Dot technology.

Based on prices right now:

55” KS8000 - $899.99
    55” MU8000 - $999.99
    55” QNQ7 - $1597.99

Hmm.

Maybe I’ll just go for the KS8000 if it’s still available when I get my tax return.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I I got an MU6290, and have been pretty happy with it. Though all I cared about was getting a TV with a resolution better than 1080i and with a bezel smaller than half a foot. The two things I'll complain about are that it doesn't work with a DS4 (though you mention you own an Xbox, so that's not really relevant to you), and that the companion streaming apps are fucking garbage.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Drez
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Heh, I basically asked this exact question in the big TV thread before the holiday forums landed (no response that I saw before we swapped), and just pulled the trigger on a 55" MU6300. I've only been playing around on it for an hour or two, but so far I'm pleased with it. Was 1/3 off at Best Buy, which was local enough for me to snag it and pop it in a cab at minimal extra expense.

Replaced a 50 or 52" (I think) Samsung plasma that I've had for about 5 years and was beginning to show signs of its age.

The new smart TV remote caught me by surprise. "Erm, there's like 1/4 of the buttons I expected there to be here..."

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    DrezElement Brian
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I got a KS8500 last year and it's been great for all my PS4 gaming including Overwatch.

Rainfall on
    DrezDouglasDangerLuvTheMonkey
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    I have a Samsung MU6071 that I got for Christmas and it's been absolutely fantastic so far. I don't have a PS4Pro though so I can't tell you whether gaming on it is perfect... I do own a 4K Blu-Ray player and watched a movie on it and was blown away by the picture.

Drez
    edited December 2017
    Off-topic, but I remembered that my model of TV doesn't have Bluetooth. Would a dongle allow me to connect Bluetooth devices to it wirelessly?

Edit: After doing some research, it looks like that, since PSNow was terminated on Samsung TVs, that support for the DS4 is unlikely. Not much point.

Zython on
    Zython wrote: »
    I I got an MU6290, and have been pretty happy with it. Though all I cared about was getting a TV with a resolution better than 1080i and with a bezel smaller than half a foot. The two things I'll complain about are that it doesn't work with a DS4 (though you mention you own an Xbox, so that's not really relevant to you), and that the companion streaming apps are fucking garbage.

DS4?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

DS4?

I'm guessing Dual Shock 4 (the PS4's controller)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Zython
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    https://www.rtings.com/tv

I went with a Vizio P series myself, Costco had the '16s on for a couple hundred bucks off around the time I was buying. The swanky new Xbox looks pretty awesome on it.

Erlkönig wrote: »

DS4?

Yes. I use a 2nd PS4 controller for PC gaming, since I don't own an Xbox.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    My two cents is that if you're thinking of spending 1500 on a tv, you should just go and get an LG OLED: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073K3LPGF/

DS4?

I guess I’m not sure how the DS4 factors in? What does that have to do with the TV?

For the record, I have both an Xbox One and PS4. I overwhelming use my Xbox One Elite Controller on my PC and Xbox but I also use my DS4 or Steam Controller on occasion.

AtomicTofu wrote: »
    My two cents is that if you're thinking of spending 1500 on a tv, you should just go and get an LG OLED: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073K3LPGF/

Thanks! I actually just came across that - at least one site has rated it as the best one. What’s that about? Why’s that one so good?

DS4?

I guess I’m not sure how the DS4 factors in? What does that have to do with the TV?

For the record, I have both an Xbox One and PS4. I overwhelming use my Xbox One Elite Controller on my PC and Xbox but I also use my DS4 or Steam Controller on occasion.

Ah, it's because I use Steam Link to stream certain PC games to my TV. Since my controller can't connect to the TV, I have to use my Steam Link box to do so.

DS4?

Ah, it's because I use Steam Link to stream certain PC games to my TV. Since my controller can't connect to the TV, I have to use my Steam Link box to do so.

Ah okay, understood. Thanks!

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

DS4?

I'm slow.

Wouldn't this also be the case with an Xbox controller?

This machine kills threads.
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Thanks! I actually just came across that - at least one site has rated it as the best one. What’s that about? Why’s that one so good?

Picture quality is second to none. OLEDs are lit individually instead of using a backlight so a black pixel means the pixel is completely off. The only con is that OLEDs do not have as high a maximum brightness which might be an issue if you're putting it in a bright room

redx wrote: »

DS4?

I'm slow.

Wouldn't this also be the case with an Xbox controller?

The TV can recognize the Xbox controller, apparently (at least, that's what the Samsung tech told me).

redxDrez

Picture quality is second to none. OLEDs are lit individually instead of using a backlight so a black pixel means the pixel is completely off. The only con is that OLEDs do not have as high a maximum brightness which might be an issue if you're putting it in a bright room

Hmm.

I keep my room lit similar to a dungeon, particularly when playing games or watching movies. I blot out the sun and live in shadow.

Based on that, I assume I should be OK if I go for that TV?

I missed that you're upgrading from a plasma...I was in the same boat using a 7-year old plasma up until now because I couldn't get rid of those black levels! But the OLED is definitely the upgrade from the plasma that you want.

Bluetooth would be nice. I have AirPods. Would be kind of cool to sync my AirPods to the TV.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I can also vouch for the Samsung KS8x00 (I have a 2016 KS8000) and it does the job extremely well.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    OnTheLastCastle
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Hmm.

I keep my room lit similar to a dungeon, particularly when playing games or watching movies. I blot out the sun and live in shadow.

The OLED will treat you well. Unfortunately, when I upgraded my TV last year I picked up the non-OLED LG 4K TV, and it's... fine? Picture is nice, black levels are kinda bad, wish I'd got the Samsung instead of the LG, but the LG was on sale for $200 less than the Samsung.

Whatever, I'm going to be picking up an Xbox One S shortly so I can jump on the 4K train.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    Drez
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I have a 65" KS8000 and it's delightful except the bug where game mode doesn't go into HDR automatically. Gotta fiddle the backlight up down. So whatever model is new this year of that TV probably.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Hmm.

The OLED will treat you well. Unfortunately, when I upgraded my TV last year I picked up the non-OLED LG 4K TV, and it's... fine? Picture is nice, black levels are kinda bad, wish I'd got the Samsung instead of the LG, but the LG was on sale for $200 less than the Samsung.

Whatever, I'm going to be picking up an Xbox One S shortly so I can jump on the 4K train.

I would very much recommend the Xbox One X. It's great and games look fucking amazing. So many enhanced games... The Witcher 3 now runs at 4k 30fps or 1080x60. In HDR I think. It looks insanely good and runs so well. They're upgrading all sorts of games.

Dishonored 2 looks fantastic.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I recently picked up a 55" TCL 55P605. It is absolutely gorgeous. I haven't really exercised it, but I am running my Switch through it in gaming mode (super low latency) and I've followed the Wirecutter's advice on how to get it set up right. It features Dolby Vision and 72-point active dimming (without the Samsung IP theft!) and it really isn't all that expensive.

GzUg4ZFh.jpg

pTWAqPb.png
    Looking to get rid of some 2005-2010 era Star Wars vehicles/toys. If interested, please PM me.
    He/Him
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    @Athenor I have that as well and I adore it

Athenor
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    also if you do get a 4k HDR tv and an xbox one x remember that some tvs require kerjiggering to get the HDR and shit working. My friend was pretty underwhelmed by the quality until he realised he had some switch or some such set to evil

Prohass wrote: »
    also if you do get a 4k HDR tv and an xbox one x remember that some tvs require kerjiggering to get the HDR and shit working. My friend was pretty underwhelmed by the quality until he realised he had some switch or some such set to evil

HDR settings required:
    Backlight to max
    Contrast max
    For LCD tvs often a "smart LED" exists and should be on high.

I used to use but isn't required I've discovered: Dynamic Contrast (things have different names on diff tvs but it's usually to enhance contrast, I turn it on if the image is too dark)

For instance my SDR is 6-8/96 backlight/contrast but HDR is 20/100.

Also the console needs to be on 10-bit (12 bit for Dolby Vision) and sometimes the TV needs it manually also enabled. the KS8000 has a setting called "UHD Color" that should just always be on for all inputs.

ProhassDrez
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Hmm.

I would very much recommend the Xbox One X. It's great and games look fucking amazing. So many enhanced games... The Witcher 3 now runs at 4k 30fps or 1080x60. In HDR I think. It looks insanely good and runs so well. They're upgrading all sorts of games.

Dishonored 2 looks fantastic.

I wouldn't mind an X, but while I can justify $200 for an S, my wallet can't manage $500 for the X. And it's going to be mostly a movie and streaming box, which makes the cost even harder to justify.

I assume the actual 4K film playback on the S vs X is identical, or is there something I need to know?

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
This discussion has been closed.