[Horizon Zero Dawn]: I'm playing it, let's talk about it

WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPEDRegistered User regular
Because all appearances to the contrary notwithstanding, the Giant Bomb thread isn't actually a general games thread

Horizon Zero Dawn is a game where you fight robot monsters in the post-post-apocalypse, using wildly variable levels of technologically advanced weaponry. It got some DLC recently, which I hear is pretty good!

Let's talk about it a little bit.

dN0T6ur.png

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Aloy is great and I love her to death

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Der Waffle MousGrey GhostNoughtAistanCelloOrcaSeGaTaiBlackhawk1313Shadowhopeskyknyt
  • Blackbeard7Blackbeard7 Registered User regular
    I want to play the expansion but my backlog turns into a gaping abyss around christmas time so who knows when that'll be

d4As7TL.jpg
    Siska
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    The artbook for this one is great! It's nice how much thought they've put into both the environments and the unique garbs of each tribe.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I will eventually return to this and beat it one day. ONE DAAAAAAAY!

Too many games, not enough time.

DarkMecha
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Villain ending spoilers seriously only look it this if you've beaten the game
    Fuck you, Ted Faro.

The worst thing about Ted Faro is he never never got his comeuppance. He doomed the world, erased thousands of years of human knowledge, murdered the people trying to preserve civilization for our future survivors, and then died of old age in his underground protected Cave of 1%er Debauchery and GAAAAH FUCK TED FARO

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Der Waffle MousThe BetgirlNoughtAistanOrcaShadowhopeskyknyt

I agree, she's one of my favorite protagonists.
    And "Aloy, despite the Nora" and what lead up to it is a really good piece of writing.

The BetgirlAistanOrcaShadowhope
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    I can’t wait to get home and play more of this game.

I’m lv 40 and still on the lv 15 story quests, hah. Explored most of the map, got all but a few collectibles, and knocked out most of the side quests.

Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
    Cello
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Aloy rules and also I am constantly surprised by Ashly Burch's range

QRK7dOP.gif
    Johnny ChopsockyMrGrimoireAistanCelloBlackhawk1313Shadowhope
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    One of my fave things about Aloy is her self determination. When others rely solely on prayer, she simply goes and does it. And several time when you save the day people praise the earth mother and you’re like... “uhhh that was clearly me that saved everyone????”

Also when you (half of the way through or so minor spoilers)
    meet the sun king and he asks you out. Now the sun king is pretty fine and uh a king to boot but aloy wisely says that she’s trying to save the world and could he maybe keep his dick in his pants until apocalypse is not on the table?

Elki wrote: »

Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

gotta update that stuff man
    AistanSiskaShadowhope
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

And "Aloy, despite the Nora" and what lead up to it is a really good piece of writing.

That quote fucked me up so bad and I think about it like, daily now. It's so good, and so much.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

That quote fucked me up so bad and I think about it like, daily now. It's so good, and so much.

Yeah, it's definitely stuck with me as well. The whole sentiment around it hits on so much.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I killed a Thunderjaw on my way to Meridian. Is there a bigger dinosaur than that or have I killed the biggest dinosaur

dN0T6ur.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Some might say that this is the best game this year.

steam_sig.png
    MrGrimoireSiskaOrcaBlackhawk1313ShadowhopeThe Betgirl
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. i'm the bat guy (bluh)Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I killed a Thunderjaw on my way to Meridian. Is there a bigger dinosaur than that or have I killed the biggest dinosaur

There's always a bigger fish

liEt3nH.png

Fish aren't dinosaurs

steam_sig.png
    Aistan wrote: »
    Some might say that this is the best game this year.

And if it isn't, it's definitely in the top 3.

• I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. i'm the bat guy (bluh)Registered User regular

Fish aren't dinosaurs

well fucking pigs aren't dinosaurs either but you still fight them in this game!!!!

liEt3nH.png

Fish aren't dinosaurs

well fucking pigs aren't dinosaurs either but you still fight them in this game!!!!

Don't do that, you'll get kicked out of your position as PM.

steam_sig.png
    I just figured there was probably some secret even biggerer beastie than a Thunderjaw because there's one on the main road to the big city and that's an odd place to throw down with the scariest robot

The Stormbird was also pretty big and scary, but the Thunderjaw was more of both. Lucky that the disc launcher stuns it so fast.

dN0T6ur.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII Registered User regular
    One of the best most beautiful games I have ever played.

Battletag: Threeve#1501
    PSN: Threeve703
    AistanShadowhopeMrGrimoire
    Also I haven't upgraded my armor yet, and probably should, but can't decide what to get. I've made it this far, might as well stick to the way I'm doing.

So earlier this year I read Lacina's "What We Talk About, When We Don’t Talk About Natives" and it was good but I was wondering if there was any more writing to read with regards to the game's use of indigenous imagery? Everything I've found is mostly just straight-up talking about Lacina's piece

dN0T6ur.png
    I wish you could ride more than the most boring of the robot dinosaurs.

steam_sig.png
    Nought
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    I just figured there was probably some secret even biggerer beastie than a Thunderjaw because there's one on the main road to the big city and that's an odd place to throw down with the scariest robot

The Stormbird was also pretty big and scary, but the Thunderjaw was more of both. Lucky that the disc launcher stuns it so fast.

I actually wish the disc launcher wasn't so effective against the Thunderjaw. Makes it too easy.

WybornAistanOrcaSeGaTaiNoughtskyknyt
    we're extremely short on indigenous games writers, unfortunately

liEt3nH.png
    The Betgirl
    edited December 2017
    we're extremely short on indigenous games writers, unfortunately

This is definitely true, I was just wondering if there was more writing out there since I've only found the one article

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    It's sorta tangentially related - and it's certainly not a deep dive into their creative process - but No Clips youtube video on Horizon does kinda showcase how art creation, world building, and then the eventual story; are all kinda handled by different people, at different times in the project and lots of them had many iterations.

So while having an indigenous game writer would help - you would also need art directors and probably a bunch of other people with a broader background at a bunch of different levels of production, which just based on demographics are going to be hard.

PSN SeGaTai
This discussion has been closed.