Options

The Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    ZJzEfWf.png

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    i like abby but i think she is not very good at articulating her opinions, and also some of her opinions are garbage especially re: music and also re: nier

To be fair to Abby none of her experience nor her job description are anything that fits "critic."

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    is blank check just not releasing an ep this week? I can't remember what that schedule of theirs said for the week after the last Jedi

The part of the CBB best of where Scott casually asks Paul when he last 69'ed made me laugh really really hard

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Man, is it rose tinted glasses on my part or is the GOTY stuff really rough this year?

Like, instead of putting out 5 hour podcasts, maybe just cut Alex bringing up Firepro Wrestling despite it being agreed upon no early access in advance, and cut everyone have no idea what the best world category is.

It's boring and awkward to listen to, and I know Giant Bomb plays pretty fast and loose but it strikes me as really unprofessional to put that out there for everyone to listen to. It just feels bad.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man, is it rose tinted glasses on my part or is the GOTY stuff really rough this year?

Like, instead of putting out 5 hour podcasts, maybe just cut Alex bringing up Firepro Wrestling despite it being agreed upon no early access in advance, and cut everyone have no idea what the best world category is.

It's boring and awkward to listen to, and I know Giant Bomb plays pretty fast and loose but it strikes me as really unprofessional to put that out there for everyone to listen to. It just feels bad.

Part of their mission statement for their GOTY stuff has always been transparency

Seeing how the sausage is made is often difficult

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    even when you enjoy most of how the sausage is made, there's still parts where the sausage is made, i'm afraid

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Luckily giant bomb did you a solid and put each segment into it's own video that you can easily skip if you don't enjoy it

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    also if you've been listening to these for a while it can be extra frustating to hear someone pull the same shit you hated the last four times they pulled it

see: pretty much any time brad says or does anything

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Best World feels notably bad but other than that I think it's just the regular sausage, but with the context of a truly absurd number of hours of content

but that's the sausage

if you want the professional GOTY content, that's what all the articles are for. There's a metric fuckton of that too.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    This is probably the saltiest I've seen people here regarding goty stuff overall. There's been flashpoints in the past, like the legendary Destiny filibuster, but this seems to be the year just about everyone has a category or game they're pissed off about.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    in fairness it's been a really shitty year

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There are too many good games for everything to get its due this year

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    There are too many good games for everything to get its due this year

This is also a factor

There are so many good games that no one is able to have played them all, so everyone who's listening has got their own dogs in the race

There are people who haven't played Nier or Wolfenstein going "how could ANYTHING be more baller than Yakuza 0"

And the craziest thing is that in any other year they'd have a case

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Luckily giant bomb did you a solid and put each segment into it's own video that you can easily skip if you don't enjoy it

I can’t imagine taking the time to watch these as videos, they get thrown on in the background as podcasts for me.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I can’t imagine taking the time to watch these as videos, they get thrown on in the background as podcasts for me.

You can listen to only the audio portion of a video while you use your eyes to perform a different task

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The video version was worth it to see Brad lose it when Vinny requested that Jason play
    the cooking jingle from BotW.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options

You can listen to only the audio portion of a video while you use your eyes to perform a different task

Oh shit really? You’ve changed my life Chincy!

(I have to split listening to these up into many small chunks, in my car, in snatches at work, while doing chores around the house, at the gym, etc. The podcast suits this start and stop nature much more than video.

Also I’m not going to know if something is fun to listen to or not until I listen to it!)

• Options
    The video is literally the same experience if you just don't look at your device

And they are broken into chunks that is more easily digestible for the things you have just listed

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Chincy I’m not sure if you are doing a bit here, but I know which commonly available form of media better suits my common use situations as I’ve spent a lot of time doing it!

You trying to tell me better is, well, just plain weird.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i like abby but i think she is not very good at articulating her opinions, and also some of her opinions are garbage especially re: music and also re: nier

I don't think she's much worse at it than Dan

Honestly Vinny and Jeff are the only two that I think manage to actually articulate their points well

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    If anything I appreciate finding out about Bury Me, My Love. I guess Jeff is right the discussion maybe is more important than the winners when they showcase games outside AAA.

By the way video was worth it just to see Dan suffer throughout Best Moment. He shook his head so many times.
    And I felt kinda bad when he said something along the lines of what’s with you people and sad moments. Be happy!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The video is literally the same experience if you just don't look at your device

And they are broken into chunks that is more easily digestible for the things you have just listed

Most devices stop playing video when the screen is off, and they don't save your place as well as podcasts do.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    @Speed Racer and Alex. Sometimes.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll eventually play Nier

P5 continually getting robbed for Best Music sucks though

• Options
    I appreciated that on his Tumblr Jeff has already said he's never again allowing a category that everyone has not discussed what it actually means

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

It wasn’t robbed.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It's just hard for me to imagine a better soundtrack than P5 in that type of game!

I dunno

The more I hear about Nier the more it pushes me away from playing it

It seems like it's more concerned with clever tricks than being a game that's fun to play

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

Alex and Ben could've contextualized it better, like showcasing how Will Power perfectly fits with the Persona Awakenings as the moments where the party members have absolutely had it with the shitty adults, how Life Will Change is the culmination of the heists, and how Rivers in the Desert
    really ratchets up with you fighting the Shinzo Abe stand-in and that the lyrics don't even begin until you've destroyed his golden lion chariot/pyramid and he just decides to Hulk out and punch you.

Also no mention of Never to Return from Pyre in either Music nor Moment.

• Options
    It's just hard for me to imagine a better soundtrack than P5 in that type of game!

I dunno

It seems like it's more concerned with clever tricks than being a game that's fun to play

Its goal is to tell a story and have its gameplay and quests tie into that story and its themes. The gameplay isn't ancillary exactly, but it is chiefly in service of the story

I don't think calling it "tricks" is fair, but I'd agree that its number one goal is not "be a fun game to play"

I also don't think a game has to be that

• Options
    Nier IS fun to play. I think a lot of people saw the platinum logo and built up expectations full-on character action game and were disappointed when it was something a little less complex than that. It’s still super satisfying to hack and slash through endless waves of robots and watch them explode into parts and money.

I think the biggest problem is that the sidequest design is lacking. The stories from them are generally pretty good but there’s a lot of fetch questing.

• Options
    In a world where Nier Gestalt exists; Nier Automata IS fun to play.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Nier's gameplay is fine. Just nothing special. But it's not bad or unpleasant to play. It's good enough.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's good enough for a game much shorter than Automata is

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

I don't think she's much worse at it than Dan

Honestly Vinny and Jeff are the only two that I think manage to actually articulate their points well

I think Ben is good at it but he picks his moments very carefully

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Nier Automata feels great to play and whenever it got even a bit stale I would just switch my weapons around and it would feel fresh again.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Hitsmas.
    Jeff's "Jah Bless, Motherfucker" had me rolling.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Nier Automata feels great to play and whenever it got even a bit stale I would just switch my weapons around and it would feel fresh again.

Also whenever it got stale slicing through machines suddenly you’d be in a 2d side scroller or a twinstick shooter bullet hell or a cool boss battle.

It’s good.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

I dunno

Nier's great, but in some ways you're not wholly wrong here.

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.