Options

Please let these [Star Wars] stay...

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I finally, after like two years at least, started Clone Wars season 2 last night

There is an immediate jump in quality, as people had said. It’s holding my interest much more, and I think the textures are improved?

Anyway, I really like Cad Bane and his little droid. I’d be very happy if this guy showed up in the movies (unless he’s dead, not sure what happens to him as the shows go on)

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Probably should have come up with a better concept than "let's do a han solo prequel," or at least a more exciting one
    I think there is definitely a world where a Han Solo prequel got people fuckin' pumped because people love Han Solo

But between the really publicly troubled production and nothing about the trailers or marketing making it look unique or super must-see, this ain't it

It was the most transparently cynical tie-in, I think. Rogue One got people in with a good premise and great trailers. This was like, "what if han solo....but young and also no Harrison Ford?" and then failed to sell why we should be excited. That's not even on the quality of the movie, really, but they probably need to step back and think if the eight other Star Wars movies they have on order are all necessary

On its face that’s how it initially felt to me too, but this was apparently Kasdan’s and his son’s passion project

No doubt some people in the company were making it because Solo’s a big name, but supposedly the guy who wrote Empire really wanted to tell this story

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The Last Jedi is a very nice movie.

Rogue One has the most human cast of any Star Wars movie and is a legitimately good war movie.

KotOR2 is still my favorite Star Wars story and I wish they'd stop trying to walk it back.

Clone Wars is a good show but I have yet to watch Rebels.

Kylo Ren is bad.

Porgs are good.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I want my
    Darth Maul
    film :[

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I want my
    Darth Maul
    His cameo in Solo is fine, but after the absolutely stellar last scene of his in Rebels, I never want to see him again. It was such an excellent punctuation. It’s very rare that characters get such an amazing send off, I think anything else they did, even if it happens prior to that scene chronologically, would diminish it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Probably should have come up with a better concept than "let's do a han solo prequel," or at least a more exciting one
    I think there is definitely a world where a Han Solo prequel got people fuckin' pumped because people love Han Solo

But between the really publicly troubled production and nothing about the trailers or marketing making it look unique or super must-see, this ain't it

It was the most transparently cynical tie-in, I think. Rogue One got people in with a good premise and great trailers. This was like, "what if han solo....but young and also no Harrison Ford?" and then failed to sell why we should be excited. That's not even on the quality of the movie, really, but they probably need to step back and think if the eight other Star Wars movies they have on order are all necessary

I'm sure the movie is fine, but it wasn't as easy of a sell as they were expecting and I think it failed to make a case for itself to many people (including myself). I don't actually care about Han Solo, divorced from Ford's performance and played by an extremely generic actor. When you add onto that that it's coming off the back of two years of "this movie is extremely troubled" and a main line Star Wars movie that moved a lot of people to "wait and see" status on the franchise, it's not a huge surprise that it underperformed.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Was The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles better than Solo?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Moving forward I hope we get a lot fewer ‘this happened between episode 3 and 4’ movies

It’s clear that up to this point they’ve done a good job at getting people to make these who obviously have a ton of affection for the universe, and want to express that affection in the form of a film. So they dote on this universe, creating stories that draw from all forms of Star Wars media, creating interesting, engaging characters and rich narratives
    And then they kill them, because they have to, because they weren’t mentioned in the original trilogy

Takes a lot of wind out of the sails, for me.

• Options

It was the most transparently cynical tie-in, I think.

I don't know that I'd go that far, it was definitely the least exciting one in terms of promotion and hype I can think of (can only speak for me and friends I personally know who agreed with me that it was very difficult to really be interested in this, especially in terms of seeing it day one which was not even a question for every other release so far including Rogue One), but the concept of "solo Han film" was one that had some noticeable enthusiasm and interest in the potential immediately following Disney's purchase.

The execution was obviously lacking somewhere, probably in multiple areas, otherwise this wouldn't happen, but the idea itself wasn't doomed from the start. At least it shouldn't have been. If you were going to do more prequels here, you could have definitely started with a worse idea than Young Han

One of my biggest issues throughout was that the most interesting thing throughout announcement to pre-release was Glover's involvement as Lando, and while I don't disagree with that, it also kinda really felt like the only interesting thing that stood out

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Was The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles better than Solo?

Don't you make me choose.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I will be so Goddamn angry if Don Glover doesn't get to be Lando again.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Tube wrote: »

I'm sure the movie is fine, but it wasn't as easy of a sell as they were expecting and I think it failed to make a case for itself to many people (including myself). I don't actually care about Han Solo, divorced from Ford's performance and played by an extremely generic actor. When you add onto that that it's coming off the back of two years of "this movie is extremely troubled" and a main line Star Wars movie that moved a lot of people to "wait and see" status on the franchise, it's not a huge surprise that it underperformed.

Yeah I liked it well enough, but I only took myself down to the cinema to see it 3 or 4 days after release, and that was only due to people coming in here on Wednesday saying that it was pretty reasonable. Plus the fact that it was out now and not in the Star Wars Christmas slot took me a little by surprise. Overall though, there just wasn't a desperate need in my mind to see a Han origin story compared to say that lone gunman Kenobi film or stealing the Death Star plans, or the attachment of Mangold to Boba Fett doing a total 180 on my interest. Or Hell, even Lando as the main focus of this one, show how he met Han sure, but he's the guy who was more of a character sketch at this point.

I have to wonder if a Rogue Squadron a-la Top Gun film has been pitched yet because I would probably go see that.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The young Indiana Jones thing was an expensive? TV thing, not a very expensive multi million dollar movie thing

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Is Glover good in Solo?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Is Glover good in Solo?

Extremely, but he kept falling in and out of the accent constantly, and it was noticeable each time.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I loved him.

I loved him a lot.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Is Glover good in Solo?

Absolutely

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Everyone is really good, but Glover is extremely good. Alden Ehrenreich walks a really fine line where he's not doing a Harrison Ford impression but you can still tell he has the same kind of energy Ford did, especially in episode 4 (the only thing we don't really "get" out of him is the huffy tantrums Ford was so good at pulling; this is a way happier, smiley Han). It's very good to see he turned out so good considering how some of the behind-the-scenes troubles were apparently directly related to his acting.

Woody Harrelson and Paul Bettany are unsurprisingly excellent, they're just always really good in these kinds of roles. Emilia Clarke has a thankless job as maybe the most complex character in the movie but she does manage to believably go from tortured secret behind her eyes to genuine affection, relief and happiness when she's on screen with Han. I actually bought into them as romantic interests, which has happened to so, so few Star Wars couples.

And of course, L3-37 keeps up the tradition of having the one-off new droid character in the side movies sort of steal the show.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Glover is very good but it's clear he studied Billy Dee Williams' performance like an ancient text and I didn't really get any idea of his own take on it, just "he is Donald Glover doing Billy Dee Williams"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I was pleasantly surprised by Clarke’s performance. She has the best example of an otherwise unfortunate list of GoT stars unsuccessfully breaking into movies

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Paul Bettany is having so much fun in this

• Options
    Also Jon Favreau voices a CG character and he sounds and acts so much like Rocket Raccoon I sorta thought Bradley Cooper was in this movie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Paul Bettany very clearly really really wanted to be in this movie and I loved him

It's just a shame that we lost Michael K. Williams' version of the character to get to it, I wish I could've seen that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The problem is that the interesting side character cannot be the main character without detriment to being an interesting character. See: PotC

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I want my
    Darth Maul
    His cameo in Solo is fine, but after the absolutely stellar last scene of his in Rebels, I never want to see him again. It was such an excellent punctuation. It’s very rare that characters get such an amazing send off, I think anything else they did, even if it happens prior to that scene chronologically, would diminish it.

I feel like if he shows up in a Kenobi movie they'll probably just re do that scene for the ending

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    I want my
    Darth Maul

I feel like if he shows up in a Kenobi movie they'll probably just re do that scene for the ending

Shit, it'd probably be easy enough. Instead of following Ezra who gets saved by Kenobi, the movie follows Maul and he comes across Kenobi camping in the desert.

Assuming I'm remembering that episode correctly.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yes but Rebels is officially canon. Unless they are going to start just invalidating their non movie stuff then that is not going to happen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Huh? Of course it is. I was saying it's probably easy enough to just not show the Ezra stuff but still get to the Maul-Kenobi confrontation. Doesn't mean I'm suggesting de-canonizing Rebels or something like that.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Solo. It was a fun, well constructed movie, didn't try to do anything too out of scale, rattled on at a good pace, some strong performances from the cast, visually very nice and it is a good character study of Han. Overall, liked it! Goes above RoJ and below ANH I think, putting it in... 4th place? Not bad!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I feel like i enjoyed Solo way more with low expectations.

in many ways it doesn't hold up as a great film? But i kinda didn't care while watching it because i was all in on the aesthetics.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Finally found a Lando Black Series figure.

Man have they really perfected the facial sculpting because this looks exactly like Donald Glover.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    people want taika waititi to be in everything because he's handsome and charming but him as boba fett makes basically no sense

Shorty on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    people want taika waititi to be in everything because he's handsome and charming but him as boba fett makes basically no sense

Why? Temuera Morrisson is getting a bit up there for any non-CG movie where he removes his helmet (no problem with him doing it voice-only though), and they're both the same ethnicity.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

He's the most famous New Zealander they know.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    He's also good at comedy and Boba Fett's a joke, so

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    A Boba Fett movie directed by Taika Watiti sounds pretty good to me

But you can apply that to almost any Star Wars character

I'll take him helming any of those

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    God I want a movie to delve into how Boba Fett dealt with seeing his face on every single clone trooper and knowing that then turned into the Imperial army and what he has to say about all of that.

sig.gif
  • Options

Looking at the picture before reading the tweet, I thought 'David Decogney as Boba Fett? Strange choice, but I guess I could see it'

This discussion has been closed.