As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Snow]: A Four Letter Word

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nobody knew it was going to actually like snow snow in the Metro DC area and the roads are a friggin shit show. Local government's been super cautious all week with treating the roads and having school delays and closures and today's actually crummy and they didn't do anything, I don't completely understand how they got caught so flat footed.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So we got thunderstorms in LA yesterday and it's supposed to rain very heavily beginning tonight and continuing through like Tuesday.

They're already preemptively announcing road closures beginning tonight for areas that washed out or experienced mud/landslides during the last major rain storm a couple weeks ago.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i went to jackson hole this week and i rode around on the snow on a snowboard and it was fun

poo
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My brain always cross wires Jackson Hole and Smiggin Holes and there's usually at least twenty seconds where I wonder why Americans are flying 24 hours to go to a pretty underwhelming back country ski region.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    For some reason my garage door keeps tripping the "there is something in the way" detector whenever it is -20c or below and it is very annoying.

I have to open garage, pulp car out, get out, hold garage door button to force it from inside garage, go inside and leave through front door.

This morning my remote opener wouldnt work from inside my car. Im guessing the cold is also the answer here.

Worthless junk technology

Edit: im leaving that typo because i find it hilarious for some reason

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Alert, alert. It is snowing in Bristol. Everyone to crisis stations. Tell my wife I love her.

Woo this turned out fun.

We got maybe 20cm of snow overnight. I had a funeral to attend today 3 hours' drive away, including a detour to pick up a friend. Snow was forecast to stop early and my brother's car has winter tyres so it seemed fine.

Got to about 10km from my friend's house, in a country village, and the roads went to shit because I guess they haven't invented gritters there yet. Had to stop and dig ourselves out once when another car made us move so they could reverse down a hill, then couldn't make it up his road so left my car and went to meet him on foot. Met his mum who was literally in tears about him going out because he's recovering from a motorbike crash and walking with a cane. Promised her it would all be fine.

Rest of the drive to the funeral was fine. Left the wake at 4:30, was snowing again by then. About 6:15 we hit traffic. And then sat there for 5 hours. Turns out 3 lorries had jack-knifed and the motorway was totally blocked. We traveled 1 mile in 5 hours. Went insane. Then finally got moving and spent another 30 mins going 5mph.

Dropped my friend off at a service station where his (displeased) mum collected him, rather than me try and drive into his village again. Dropped my other friend off around 2:30am. By now my phone was dead and I was so tired I instantly forgot my friend's directions and went the wrong way, then just drove around south Bristol for a while until I hit a road I recognised.

Just got home at 3:15am. Left this (yesterday?) morning at 8am. Total time at the funeral and wake was 4 hours.

My friend whose funeral it was hated snow. I can't work out if us getting stuck so bad while attending his service is ironic, or just him fucking with us from the afterlife.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Ceiling leak is back with a vengeance. Turns out part of the problem is that whoever did the roof job for this building fucked up a bit. There's a lot of water collecting on the roof apparently, which is finding it's way down the walls.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yikes, stay safe fellow californians

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The forecast for my part of LA:

oamwtgtfyc17.png

• Options
    I liked the original winter storm better, they took out the fun filler bits like the driving lesson episode in the kai version

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Full on blizzard where I live. Thank goodness I'm home sick.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    17 degrees last Thursday, 80 degrees this Thursday. This state is messed up.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    17 degrees last Thursday, 80 degrees this Thursday. This state is messed up.

-23 Wednesday to 50 yesterday. We are all messed up.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    how do you handle pipes freezing
    do you have to do anything special to keep them from bursting?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I went for a walk in short sleeves today

It was heavenly

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    how do you handle pipes freezing
    do you have to do anything special to keep them from bursting?

Either keep them warm or keep them empty.

For winter, I open the hose valve outside and then close the cutoff valve inside and it drains out. No water no ossue.

Inside pipes are kept warm because the house is warm from the furnace.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If you have a pretty old house, or your kitchen is an older addition to the house and your pipes are above ground, they will freeze

You just try to keep your house warm and you leave the faucets open at a trickle

My girlfriend's brother's pipes froze last week, he didn't drip his faucets enough, that's the theory

My parents' pipes froze last week too, they ran out of fuel oil, so the house got cold enough to freeze, the pipes burst in the kitchen wall, maybe broke the dishwasher and the sink, water probably got under the tile in the floor... Shits fucked

Thankfully, I guess, it's their old house they're trying to sell

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Newer outside faucets have the actual valve 8-12 inches inside the house instead of outside at the tap so warm interior air can keep them from freezing. I personally prefer having a shutoff valve further upstream from outside faucets just as extra insurance though, particularly if the pipes run through sealed walls/ceilings..

You can also buy heat tape/heat cable to wrap around the pipes that have an electric heating element inside to keep them warm even if the pipes are in a location that gets below freezing.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    We had snow and snow and snow and snow and very cold temperatures, and that must've provoked some asshole to make those "it's cold and there's snow so there's no global warming hyuck huyck" "jokes" so that was followed by a sudden warmup that ended with ice. Now that everyone remembered that ice over everything is far worse than snow, now we're getting snow on top of the ice.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This snow can licky boom boom dick!!!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were walking past a house that was fine but their lawn and sidewalk was encased in ice. I said "that's a burst pipe in their yard for sure." Today I get a text from my wife confirming that that was the case.

Turns out we folks who grew up in bitter ass cold winters, we know a thing or two.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My truck was encased in about 1.5" of ice this morning.

It took me from 6:30 until 8:00 to get to the point where I could get in to my truck to turn it on. Then it took me about another 20 minutes to get all my windows deiced.

Fun day!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    It's just a slushy mess here in eastern Mass. There hasn't been any decent sledding snow this year and my kids are sorely disappointed.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    It's snowing around Los Angeles this afternoon. There's video of snow in Malibu, Calabasas, Granada Hills, and Pasadena.

People in my office are EXCITED

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Snow being a very loose sense of the word. It's in the air, but it ain't sticking.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    jgeis wrote: »
    It's snowing around Los Angeles this afternoon. There's video of snow in Malibu, Calabasas, Granada Hills, and Pasadena.

People in my office are EXCITED

friend of mine at work showed me pictures of his sister's place in Joshua Tree with two inches of snow on it

fucking weird February

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I get most of my weather through the #okwx Twitter feed. In tornado season, it's amazing! There's no better resource for up-to-the-minute weather updates from multiple professional sources when the shit's going down.

Turns out it's a real bad place to get weather winter info, especially for a season when the polar vortex is snapping back and forth like a loose drive belt. It's basically unusable for a few days after a winter storm, just from all the people complaining about inaccurate forecasts. Because, you know, the model shows that there's going to be a band of heavy snow ten miles wide somewhere in the entire state of Oklahoma, and god help the meteorologists if it's not directly on top of my house when this all shakes out and I bought bread and milk for no reason.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'm on a vacation trip in southern Utah, staying between Zion and Bryce, and we're smack in the middle of a once-in-a-decade blizzard. We've gotten probably a foot of accumulation since yesterday afternoon and it's still coming down.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Huh

Ohio is gonna be in the upper 50s with 75mph winds this weekend so

Someone swapped weathers

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Climate change has fucked winter and I'm sad about it.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Did you guys hear about how it snowed in Hawaii recently? They said it might've been the first time in history.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Nah, it snows on the Big Island peaks fairly regularly because of the altitude (rare on Haleakala on Maui, but not unheard of). That video I posted above is almost certainly the lowest altitude for snowfall in the state's history at 6200ft.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Just got a weather alert that we're supposed to get 9 to 14 inches of snow accumulation over the next few days. That ought to be fun.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Straight up Blizzard Warning for tomorrow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Nah, it snows on the Big Island peaks fairly regularly because of the altitude (rare on Haleakala on Maui, but not unheard of). That video I posted above is almost certainly the lowest altitude for snowfall in the state's history at 6200ft.

Ah, maybe that's what I was thinking of, then.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Straight up Blizzard Warning for tomorrow.

Dammit, it was just a winter storm watch this afternoon.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    It is pretty crazy outside.

I literally can't see out my front window.