Options

[Snow]: A Four Letter Word

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The temp is -6f or about -21c

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Meanwhile in Boston, 50F with a high of 60F tomorrow as climate change continues to be awful.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Its been alternating here between snowing one day and then warming/thawing the next.

There are some confused geese that cant seem to figure out which way to fly, and I spotted a group of ducks that have been hunkered down in a running river since all the nearby ponds are frozen over.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We're in like the one band of rain while everyone around us and in the broader Northeast is getting a proper snowstorm, this is bullshit.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Ok. I shoveled it. The slush. And boulders. Double fuck this.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Assuming I keep living in MN(likely) I really want to get a heated driveway someday

• Options
    Shoveling is the worst and snow blowing is the second worst.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    A not-insignificant reason why I will probably never live in a house is snow shoveling, yard upkeep, etc.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Assuming I keep living in MN(likely) I really want to get a heated driveway someday

Wait what

• Options

Tell me what sucks about blowing because rn I'm tempted to get one and then just be the neighborhood hero to justify the cost.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Tell me what sucks about blowing because rn I'm tempted to get one and then just be the neighborhood hero to justify the cost.

It's basically mowing but it's cold as fuck out. It sucks less than shoveling, but it still super sucks.

• Options
    Maybe it's because I grew up doing it as an expected chore but I don't hate shoveling or snowblowing more than any other housework, it's just a thing you need to do sometimes /shrug

Anyway snowblowing is a lot less effort than shoveling.

• Options
    Hm. I take it you don't get warm like you do shoveling? (I'm from nc, we just don't know how to deal with this) and can they do slush? Partner is from the Midwest where the snow is "better" supposedly.

• Options
    Hm. I take it you don't get warm like you do shoveling?

There's still some exertion involved, it's like a mower. Most can roll themselves slowly forward but they're still a heavy machine that you need to turn and haul around.
    can they do slush?

They can do slushy snow. Once it's pure slush, like snow that's been rained on for 12 hours, no, but you also can't really effectively shovel that stuff.
    Partner is from the Midwest where the snow is "better" supposedly.

My dad's from Chicago I call bullshit on this :D

• Options
    The USPS truck is stuck in our street for the 2nd day now

Everyone has to go push it out after getting their mail

• Options
    Snowblowing is 1000000x better than shoveling

But it still sucks.

It’s cold as fuck, it takes a lot more work than you might think. I have a $1800 3 stage snow blower and if it’s the really heavy snow it usually get clogged over and over again.

Oh and forget about windy days. Nothing like snow being blown right in your face.

I’d recommend buying a shield for any snowblower.

• Options
    Hmm. Yes. Move back to north Carolina. Got it

• Options
    I'll gladly take snow over the constant war against black mold and the utterly hostile arthropod life I had to deal with in NC.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I have never shoveled a driveway. Around here if it's too snowy to get out of your driveway all the streets are also completely impassable, so the city is just paralyzed until it melts.

We have a couple of plows and salt trucks, but they're pretty much just for show.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I do really enjoy not having to deal with poisonous snakes and spiders in Minnesota

It’s a nice treat after Florida

• Options
    That's honestly not far off how snow functions in North Carolina. The couple big (for the area - it was less than 6" of snow each time) snowstorms we got while I was living there completely shut down everything.

• Options
    I lived in Woodstock, GA for about 3 months when I was a freshman in HS.

They got an inch of snow and the whole city was shut down for 3 days.

• Options
    As it should. If the water is hard, the environment is inimical to life. This is known.

• Options
    God dammit

edsu8trglnqc.jpeg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I misread a weather report today so that instead of "seasonable," it said that next weekend would be "ten degrees colder than is sensible."

I think I accidentally got your forecast, Raijin.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I will not be leaving the house this weekend

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The USPS truck is stuck in our street for the 2nd day now

Everyone has to go push it out after getting their mail

Neither rain nor sleet nor snow nor hail may not stop the mail, but the laws of physics (friction or lack thereof respectively) are another story

• Options
    God dammit

edsu8trglnqc.jpeg

Ah fuck I’m 36 hours behind this
    7wfge4tnygz6.jpeg

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    we got about 6 inches last night, bringing the amount of snow on the ground to a good foot

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/10697-bitter-cold-snow-and-easterly-winds-is-another-beast-from-the-east-on-its-way

Northern and eastern Europe are about to get a bit uncomfortable.

German sites are also reporting that Northern Germany could get up to two feet of snow within 48 hours.

• Options
    It’s fucking cold

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We got like 7.5/8 inches of snow two Saturdays ago. Then it didn't get into the double digits in temp for like 2 weeks, and we had another inch here and there, so its melted a little bit in the sun, and froze at around 8.5 total inches.

Then last night and today we got like another 3 inches, so the snow sucks, the ice sucks, winter sucks.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Me: Wow it is cold out.

Also Me looking at Saturday's weather: Wait. -10F actual temperature, sustained -30F wind chill AND 6-8 inches of snow? The fuck?

Edit* Also Also Me looking at Sunday: NEGATE 21 AND -42F Windchill?!?!?!?! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Now consider that prior to climate change really kicking off, weather like this was pretty common in winter in North America.

• Options
    Was it? I thought this was happening because we fucked the jet stream so now the polar vortex hitches a ride south a few times each winter instead of staying where it’s supposed to over the North Pole...

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My hypothesis is that all the Siberian permafrost is melting causing a surge in heat which is pushing the vortex towards North America

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    My theory is that fuck snow.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png