Options

[New Year's Resolutions] have achieved lift-off, and are moving into orbit

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    To try and be more body positive about myself, while maybe also doing more to make it not a difficult task.
    To keep my life/work balance actually balanced and not fall victim to the managerial guilt tripping.

And that's probably about it that I can think of. Other than my knitting/crafting goals.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Finally get a goddang promotion

Other than that w/e

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Happy New Year, y'all. Make good happen for yourselves. I believe in you.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Goals
    Run a 5k
    Go to a gym three days a week
    Lose 10 pounds

Resolutions
    Be braver
    Drink less beer

I think it's helpful to have measurable goals

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    -Get staffed on a TV show

-Do more volunteer work

-Cultivate a creative hobby that isn't writing. Game design, maybe?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Last year was a weird one for me. Between family health issues and a feeling of total stagnation at work, I let the stress drive me into my least active and most isolated year of my life.

So this year, my resolution is to try to be more social with my friends and stop telling them I don't feel up to whatever outings they wanna do, take better care of myself, and later in the year to finally start up online dating because dammit I can't keep letting myself be so alone.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I sort of want to resolve to take up a writing habit but ha, there's no chance of that actually happening.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I started trying to do bodyweight exercise and discovered there isn't a lot of free space in my house.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    consider this my 'hey you should watch logh' post for 2018

https://youtu.be/APFlqKGACXM

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to save up for this treadmill I'm looking at. it's only around 300 bucks but it's going to take me like 4 months.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I started trying to do bodyweight exercise and discovered there isn't a lot of free space in my house.

I am gonna try and do some bodyweight stuff. I don't see it needing that much space? I'm gonna just start with doing* push-ups and squats and go from there.

*trying to do. And probably failing and lying in a mewling pile on the floor.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

I am gonna try and do some bodyweight stuff. I don't see it needing that much space? I'm gonna just start with doing* push-ups and squats and go from there.

*trying to do. And probably failing and lying in a mewling pile on the floor.
    The only places I have space for that are communal, and I do not want to be exercising there. My room is taken up by my way too big for a room of this size bed, my dresser (which my TV sits on) and my desk.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My 2018 New Years Resolutions & Goals

Resolutions
    -- Drop down to 155 lbs.
    -- Drink less booze.
    -- Read more books.

Goals
    -- Get admitted into the teacher certificate program I am interested in.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck you 2018. I just ran for two miles on my treadmill.

Now to actually figure out how the other fitness apps works on my apple watch.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I just had a pretty amazing weekend that ended very poorly. I stayed awake for over 40 hours because I am bad at making decisions and am very comfortable letting my health take a back seat if there’s a great experience to be seized. I’m now wrestling with a lot of emotions this morning on not even close to enough sleep and very annoyed because I could easily have slept in till noon with no repercussions or responsibilities and the only reason appears to be jet lag and a case of the sads.

So now I’m sitting on my bed thinking about how in the fuck to turn this whole thing around and get my smile back, and as overly simplistic as it sounds, I think I’m gonna go with New Years Resolutions.

1. I will stop sacrificing sleep. My late-life mental health depends on it and I will no longer jeopardize that just so I can suck a little extra marrow out of life in the here and now.
    2. I will stop feeling hurt by others choosing themselves over me. Corollary: I will choose friends that strive to balance between choosing themselves and others in healthy ways.
    3. I will follow through on my plan and move to a new city.
    4. I will stop giving myself permission not to do important things because I am “tired”.
    5. I will continue to be extremely rad and continue to strive to increase my radness to its maximum potential.
    6. I will not let Goddamn anything stop me from getting some dancing in at least once a month.

Get motivated, you beautiful motherfuckers.
    https://youtu.be/vT95HMh4hY4

sarukun on
  • Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    To save more/spend better
    Lose 50 pounds
    Have a better job and/or be happier in my current role

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oh hell, I don't have a scale

I know I have a little belly started, and my pants are snug, but I didn't realize I don't own a scale.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I lost a ton of weight last year
    I really don't know as I swim in my clothes from last year {the jeans I wear to work I got in late 2016 I can basically take off with ease as they are still zipped and buttoned up}

As I said I just have hope nothing more hope it will get better as I know it's sliding downhill quickly around me

• Options
    I started my year off right by exercising this morning immediately after getting out of bed (yes I know it's the 2nd, the 1st doesn't count)

As expected I failed completely at push-ups and had to do incline push-ups instead, and even those were really hard because I'm embarrassingly weak, and I just went shopping and had to pick up a bag of potatoes and my arms nearly disintegrated. Also the push-ups hurt my wrists, but I'm hoping that will go away once I build even the slightest modicum of arm muscle.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I started my year off right by exercising this morning immediately after getting out of bed (yes I know it's the 2nd, the 1st doesn't count)

As expected I failed completely at push-ups and had to do incline push-ups instead, and even those were really hard because I'm embarrassingly weak, and I just went shopping and had to pick up a bag of potatoes and my arms nearly disintegrated. Also the push-ups hurt my wrists, but I'm hoping that will go away once I build even the slightest modicum of arm muscle.

You can get push up stands to take all the flexion out of your wrists: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MBEVV8S

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Yo it was not a failure if you actually did it. Even an attempt at actually getting in shape is better then most people can muster so don't get down on yourself about what you did vs what other people can do.

I am keeping my resolutions so far. 2 days is not a lot but I will take what I can get.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I guess I'll try to lose weight

I'm also going to see about foraging a lot more food as it's fun and interesting

already off track =p

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh man, do I got a list already.
    I like to set concrete goals since it helps me work towards whatever I want to achieve. For 2018 they include:

1) Run at least 2 half marathons in 2018, with at least one by June. (Already signed up for a 15K in February so I should be able to do this easily)

2) Volunteer more. (Sent out applications to volunteer as an Adult teacher/tutor in some centers in the city).

3) Climb more outdoors and get back to climbing V4s/5.11's consistently again.

4)Go Backpacking more.

5) Make time to visit my newly born nephew.

6) Get back to doing yoga at least once a week.

7) Read at least 2 books a month, with one being by a women/diverse author. (This is a carry over from 2017)

8) Continue on working on being a better ally, specially when it comes to the language I use (Really bad about using gendered terms and insults) and just listening.

9) Be more adventorous when it comes to cooking.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    definitely want to schedule some 10 and 15ks myself as well, because I'd like to run a half-marathon at some point this year

was pretty proud of actually maintaining a running/exercise regimen last year for the first time ever, but it being fuckin cold has really put a damper on my commitment. I need to get over it and start going again soon

I really need to start a list, 2018 is gonna be a heck of a year for me on account of having a kiddo on the way for april so I need to get my shit together, got a lot else I wanna do

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I just put on one of my ddp yoga videos to refresh myself on it. I am surprised my heart rate didn't skyrocket like I thought it would and it actually feels pretty good to do a workout again. I think I'll stick with it better this year.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'd like to do DDP Yoga

Maybe once we've moved

• Options
    is a good workout I think. gets your heart rate right where it needs to be and you get a lot of stretching and balancing. particularly good for bad joints imo.

I've never been able to finish one of the actual full length workouts just the poses tutorial. I've made it twenty minutes into the first real workout and had to tap out. it's actually kinda intense.

So one of my goals this year is to be able to do the workouts regularly.

Oh I also was lucky to have an extra battery for my old heart rate monitor chest band laying around.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Here are my 2018 Resolutions:
    1) Make my own cold brew coffee in this pitcher i got for christmas instead of swinging by coffee shop on way to work
    2) Cook way more often than i do. This one is really difficult as i always can't figure out what to cook, but cooking will save money and hopefully be healthier.
    3) Keep going at guitar. I still have a long, long way to go to even the most basic measure of competence.
    4) The obligatory - go to the gym. I'm waiting on February for this because i don't feel like being judged by all the regulars.

I don't have any criteria for success or goals for these, maybe it would be easier if i had something to work towards on any of these.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Figured out if I wait until 10 PM and everyone goes to bed, basically, I can do my exercises in the living room. Did that yesterday.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I dunno if they're resolutions or general life goals for near future but hey:

-Either go rock climbing often enough to justify the absurd amount I pay for a membership or stop paying for that membership
    -Bodyweight exercises at home for days when I don't go rock climbing
    -Finish furnishing new apartment and put up curtains
    -Have people over for board games more often
    -Interact with tinder more than swiping left or right for ten minutes once a week
    -Take an actual proper vacation

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I wonder if new years resolutions are hurt by the fact that they're made in the coldest month

I'm going to put mine off till mid-march and go from there

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Coming from a place where they're made in the hottest month - nah.
    Turns out we can always create excuses to be lazy pieces of shit.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I think I might go check out that HEMA club next monday

OMG They are going to be studying greatswords soon. That sounds awesome. Okay I'm definitely going to go.

Uriel on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Here are my 2018 Resolutions:
    1) Make my own cold brew coffee in this pitcher i got for christmas instead of swinging by coffee shop on way to work
    2) Cook way more often than i do. This one is really difficult as i always can't figure out what to cook, but cooking will save money and hopefully be healthier.
    3) Keep going at guitar. I still have a long, long way to go to even the most basic measure of competence.
    4) The obligatory - go to the gym. I'm waiting on February for this because i don't feel like being judged by all the regulars.

I don't have any criteria for success or goals for these, maybe it would be easier if i had something to work towards on any of these.

Do you follow the cooking thread? It's a great place for inspiration, and folks are always willing to share recipes if you want to try a new dish.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I'm trying to keep to small and reasonable and actually doable (for me - not passing judgment on anyone's bigger goals!):

- drink more water. I am dehydrated a lot of the time because I don't drink, period, so this NEEDS to be done. Many days I have one coffee and one water and that's it.
    - read more. I've gone from completing at least 100 books a year (in my teens) to completing 0 (last year - I started a few, though!). So again, reading 'more' should be doable.
    - lose SOME weight. Even 5 lb would be better than the past two years, where I either gained or remained the same.
    - pay off debt. Last year was an improvement only in that our debt remained about the same, and I put minimal amounts in a 401k and a savings account. Time to up all of that.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Breaking them down into categories.

1. Fitness. I will begin exercising no less than three days a week, whether it is at a gym or at home. The goal here is to lose some pounds, gain some muscle, and otherwise tone up the drooping flesh that is my corporeal form.

2. Reading and Writing. I will write at least 1,000 words per day or edit two pages once a novel has been completed. I will also read at least one book per month, I have several to start with and Goodreads can supply me with suggestions when it comes time. I will take the NaNoWriMo novel I wrote last November and tear it apart before rewriting it from the ground up, with the goal of publication.

3. Work. I will apply to as many promotional positions I meet the minimum qualifications for and also do my best to prepare for interviews. I have already been making progress the past year with my transfer and examination results, which make me eligible for higher positions, so this is mostly keeping on with what I've been doing.

4. Gaming. I will begin playing games more now instead of frittering my time away aimlessly surfing the Internet without a goal. I will try to complete one game per month but won't consider this resolution broken if it's an RPG that goes longer if I've already been working on it through the month. I have many games to play and the hardest part is pulling that initial Play trigger on Steam.

5. Finances. I will keep using You Need a Budget, which has proven very useful in the past half year I've been using it, and endeavor to update it with transactions on a two week basis. I will move to finish paying off my car loan and then turn around to begin socking that money away into savings. I will educate myself on personal finance and retirement, not that I ever expect to be able to retire.

6. Self-Improvement. I will work to overcome my fear of the new when it is detrimental to my advancement as I become stagnant and complacent rather than trying to move forward in life. I will work to overcome my perfectionist neurosis that keeps me from starting new games, new books, new anything because I think I don't have what I need yet to fully enjoy the experience, which often ends up with me never having that experience at all because I constantly invent new things I "need" before I can start.

Guess I'll check back in 2019 and see how much of this I was able to keep on with. Happy New Year.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    1. Read 50 Books
    2. I have a shirt I want to wear that's too tight. I want to fit into that shirt
    3. Eat a lot less candy, sweets and fast food.
    4. Clean and organize my garage
    5. Write more
    6. Spend less time wasting time on my phone.
    7. Build endurance
    8. Stop drinking diet soda
    9. Get my A1C below 6 and keep it there.
    10. Make more time for myself (this is a big one.)

• Options
    1. Read 50 Books
    2. I have a shirt I want to wear that's too tight. I want to fit into that shirt
    3. Eat a lot less candy, sweets and fast food.
    4. Clean and organize my garage
    5. Write more
    6. Spend less time wasting time on my phone.
    7. Build endurance
    8. Stop drinking diet soda
    9. Get my A1C below 6 and keep it there.
    10. Make more time for myself (this is a big one.)

It is the best feeling

sadly, I'm starting to grow out of my shirts again