Options

[New Year's Resolutions] have achieved lift-off, and are moving into orbit

124»

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tip for anyone who is trying to learn a new language: Set your phone to that language. Not only do you learn a bunch of new words and phrases on your phone, but some of my apps have automatically switched to Spanish as well, and even the news headlines I get shown when I load my browser. it's a neat way to get some immersion without having native speakers around you.

(obviously you have to be familiar enough with your phone that you can still use it even if you can't understand the text. Don't do this with a brand new phone (or do! extreme immersion!))

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I slept my first night without sleeping pills, without being too drunk to take them.

I'm pretty fucking tired, despite what my Fitbit says about being awake for only 11% of the six and a half hours

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tip for anyone who is trying to learn a new language: Set your phone to that language. Not only do you learn a bunch of new words and phrases on your phone, but some of my apps have automatically switched to Spanish as well, and even the news headlines I get shown when I load my browser. it's a neat way to get some immersion without having native speakers around you.

(obviously you have to be familiar enough with your phone that you can still use it even if you can't understand the text. Don't do this with a brand new phone (or do! extreme immersion!))

Back in the Nokia era, we used to sneakily change each other's phone language to Chinese. Without icons, you'd pretty much just have to find someone with the same model of phone and count the lines as you navigated to the language settings menu.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Back in the Nokia era, we used to sneakily change each other's phone language to Chinese. Without icons, you'd pretty much just have to find someone with the same model of phone and count the lines as you navigated to the language settings menu.

That sounds familiar; if you were in my peer group and you didn't immediately memorize the set of menu instructions that would switch the language back to English within the first few days you were almost certainly setting yourself up for a visit to the mobile phone kiosk. oh, the entertainment we would look for when we were poor students with too much idle time and not enough responsibilities.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I went to planet fitness today, in full gym attire

You can't join without your bank account number and routing number, which I couldn't recall

It looks like a nice place, I'll go back and join Wednesday

I tried joining via their website when I get home, but something is goofy, my bank information fills in as Douglas Danger instead of my proper name

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that's .... not your proper name?

fake edit: ooohhhh Danger is your middle name

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    My climbing gym is doing a January challenge where they want you to climb 3 times a week, do a class a yoga a week and and abs class a week. Finished the first one last week. Hoping that I can just keep that schedule through out the year to improve my climbing.

Also yesterday I ran 10 miles (for the first time in years) so I think I may actually be able to pull off a half marathon by March.

Happy so far!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Sigh... I need to get over my white coat syndrome and fix my health this year. Mid 30s are so great for a whole host of issues to pop out of nowhere.