As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    It is interesting how a certain level of privilege can allow you to completely enjoy something someone else can't.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    I also question whether the millennial "tone" is bright, poppy, and optimistic; I'd have been more likely to peg it as nihilistic absurdism

I think there's some strong dadaist undercurrents and similarities like the total rejection of the society we grew up in because we see it as silly and wrong and completely defeated by itself (throwing us knowingly into fucking endless and senseless war, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless Great Recession, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless assaults both micro- and macroscopic against the powerless, etc etc etc), and I think the core root of it (our response) is absurdism, how completely stupid the rules and baselines that older generations have constructed are

There are of course strains of optimism that can come out of such attempts at rebellion, the forging of new ideals and worldviews, but I think some of the brighter stuff can just be willful distraction

I prefer the utter surrealism and stupidity of the SNL Dear Sister skit and the modern internet at large

Within any generation there's only a small percentage that actually tries to affect change anyway.

There aren't any rose colored glasses for millennials though. We know this world sucks. We know it's always sucked. Without being fixated on returning to a fantasy maybe we'll do better.

that's the thing though - it doesn't suck.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've read everything Gibson has done, I think, and found a lot to enjoy in all of them. His last one had interesting stuff but a plot that seemed to present almost no peril for the protagonist at all, so it fell a bit flat.

I kinda love how most of his plots start with someone just finding a thing they shouldn't have found.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I also question whether the millennial "tone" is bright, poppy, and optimistic; I'd have been more likely to peg it as nihilistic absurdism

I think there's some strong dadaist undercurrents and similarities like the total rejection of the society we grew up in because we see it as silly and wrong and completely defeated by itself (throwing us knowingly into fucking endless and senseless war, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless Great Recession, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless assaults both micro- and macroscopic against the powerless, etc etc etc), and I think the core root of it (our response) is absurdism, how completely stupid the rules and baselines that older generations have constructed are

There are of course strains of optimism that can come out of such attempts at rebellion, the forging of new ideals and worldviews, but I think some of the brighter stuff can just be willful distraction

I prefer the utter surrealism and stupidity of the SNL Dear Sister skit and the modern internet at large

Within any generation there's only a small percentage that actually tries to affect change anyway.

There aren't any rose colored glasses for millennials though. We know this world sucks. We know it's always sucked. Without being fixated on returning to a fantasy maybe we'll do better.

Get out of here dad.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    three megabytes of hot ram

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Get out of here dad.

*turns up the eagles*

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

FREEZE

GenX Police!

Mr. Spool I've been watching you for a while. This is the second time you've been non cynical. One more optimistic or non snide dismissal and you'll lose your card sir. No more GenX powers like apathy or slacking!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_inline_p1ztluNT1P1tti4cw_540.jpg

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i imagine how much you think the world sucks right now at least in part depends on what point of your life you were experiencing between 2007 and 2012

like, say, if you had just graduated college and were thrown into a world that had fallen apart under the weight of the excesses of your parents' generation, i suspect you would think everything sucks more than others might

there is a pretty clear dividing line between people who had ample opportunity in their 20s and those who haven't

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i imagine how much you think the world sucks right now at least in part depends on what point of your life you were experiencing between 2007 and 2012

like, say, if you had just graduated college and were thrown into a world that had fallen apart under the weight of the excesses of your parents' generation, i suspect you would think everything sucks more than others might

there is a pretty clear dividing line between people who had ample opportunity in their 20s and those who haven't

I finished my undergraduate degree in 2008

Everything is ashes

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Nihilistic capitalism?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

It's literally discussed as "pre recession" and "post recession" when it comes to hiring in academia

like, if you were trying to get a job with a PhD up to 2007, you'd be courting multiple offers with spousal accommodation even without a postdoc, and post-recession people have literally run the statistics and the only thing that correlates with job offers in academia is number of applications sent out

and also the rise of adjunct positions at universities

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Dank meme capitalism?

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »

FREEZE

GenX Police!

Mr. Spool I've been watching you for a while. This is the second time you've been non cynical. One more optimistic or non snide dismissal and you'll lose your card sir. No more GenX powers like apathy or slacking!

man, whatever. No fucking surprise the genX cops show up for me, I knew this whole thing was a sham. I guess I'll stop being optimistic later.

If I feel like it.

• Options

I finished my undergraduate degree in 2008

Everything is ashes

2009 here and yehp

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

If you're under the age of like 30-32 the world has never as an adult shown you anything other than anxiety, neglect, and uncertainty.

If the relative propserity of the Boomer's time turned then into this it'll be interesting to see what we end up as.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Nihilistic capitalism?

All came from Arby's. All will become Arby's. Embrace meaty oblivion.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I've read everything Gibson has done, I think, and found a lot to enjoy in all of them. His last one had interesting stuff but a plot that seemed to present almost no peril for the protagonist at all, so it fell a bit flat.

I kinda love how most of his plots start with someone just finding a thing they shouldn't have found.
    I really love his latest book, there was tension and release, and actually I love his other books. The only ones of his that I was kinda meh about were the bridge trilogy, more specifically Idoru. The rest of his books are just outstanding.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    If I ever get this book published i'm like 90% sure I'm never ever telling chat the title.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Every now and again I remember one of my high school teachers talking about how she triumphed over her husband's drinking habits and convinced him to quit for the health of their family.

Except his "drinking habits" consisted of drinking one or two beers during or after yardwork, always outside and from a locked fridge, because he'd already lost the fight to have them "in the house." And he was convinced to stop drinking by, basically, an ultimatum to leave because she didn't want alcohol anywhere near her kids, ever.

It's just really striking to me how her opinion of alcohol was so low (or her opinion of turned-from-the-evils-of-alcohol stories was so high) that presenting an absurd threat for a by her own admission totally mild and controlled drinking habit was still somehow heroic.

(Also one of her kids went totally off the wall post high-school and the other is a ridiculous straight edge who seems to have stress induced health problems, natch)

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    man I remember being a young kid and wondering if the contrails in the sky were missiles and this was the end. That shit was real for us.

I don't think you need to have been born prior to the collapse of the soviet union (to be clear, I was, but I was very small, so) in order to feel and enjoy soviet themes.
    The police state/paranoia/disappearance/bureaucracy themes in Master and Margarita are visceral and horribly chilling even if you didn't live it
    And then having read and internalize that, you can go on to feel the resonance in other works that are maybe less well-written but still draw on those feelings
    In general, you don't have to have personally experienced the themes, events, or settings in a work or game in order to be profoundly affected and moved by them, or in order to feel like they are relevant to you

It is also worth making a point that no-one here has personally experienced it, either

afaik no-one here grew up in the DDR

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

it's hard to make such a broad judgement, but i think it's very plausible to argue that life is poor for most people on the planet

also this is one of the core conflicts between real progressivism and real conservatism: the idea that, even in privileged societies like ours, "normal" working class life is actually far worse than it should be, because of wealth hoarding and etc.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    yeah bullshit the world doesn't suck

like, sure, we're not digging in the dirt looking for worms for soup

but we can look around and see how much better things could be if there weren't a bunch of greedy assholes running the show

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

dude that's just 5 years and the job market is on fire right now!

I've had my retirement deleted twice by bubbles bursting - moaning how tough it was during 50% of the recent recessions does not resonate!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

I am sick as shit of the WORLD HAS GONE TO SHIT thing

no it fucking hasn't jesus christ calm the fuck down

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

If you're under the age of like 30-32 the world has never as an adult shown you anything other than anxiety, neglect, and uncertainty.

If the relative propserity of the Boomer's time turned then into this it'll be interesting to see what we end up as.

*checks birthday*

The math here doesn't check out.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Every now and again I remember one of my high school teachers talking about how she triumphed over her husband's drinking habits and convinced him to quit for the health of their family.

Except his "drinking habits" consisted of drinking one or two beers during or after yardwork, always outside and from a locked fridge, because he'd already lost the fight to have them "in the house." And he was convinced to stop drinking by, basically, an ultimatum to leave because she didn't want alcohol anywhere near her kids, ever.

It's just really striking to me how her opinion of alcohol was so low (or her opinion of turned-from-the-evils-of-alcohol stories was so high) that presenting an absurd threat for a by her own admission totally mild and controlled drinking habit was still somehow heroic.

(Also one of her kids went totally off the wall post high-school and the other is a ridiculous straight edge who seems to have stress induced health problems, natch)
    tbf let me tell you about how prohibition was a successfully public health policy

• Options

it's hard to make such a broad judgement, but i think it's very plausible to argue that life is poor for most people on the planet

also this is one of the core conflicts between real progressivism and real conservatism: the idea that, even in privileged societies like ours, "normal" working class life is actually far worse than it should be, because of wealth hoarding and etc.

Right. The best way to measure the quality of existence is by what you're capable of having vs what you actually wound up with.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I think millennialism is more about how the societal structures of old are outmoded, not that world suk

postulating outmoded societal structures does result in some terrifying shit though, like post-truth cults of flat earth, anti-vaxx, fake news, etc etc

oh and insane neo-futurist political ideologies that decree ominous purges for societal hygiene, but more importantly flat earthers

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    what job markets are on fire right now

this is a serious question

and, more appropriately

which job markets are A. on fire, B. paying a decent wage with bennies and C. don't have an overabundance of overqualified applicants

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I've had my retirement deleted twice by bubbles bursting - moaning how tough it was during 50% of the recent recessions does not resonate!

job market on fire

yet

wages in the toilet

things are fucked up

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

"Just 5 years" is quite significant when it's 50% of your working life.

• Options
    Arch wrote: »

and, more appropriately

which job markets are A. on fire, B. paying a decent wage with bennies and C. don't have an overabundance of overqualified applicants

Education!

Wait, no, on fire means good, nevermind.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Neuromancer has plenty of issues but, like, it was his first novel? Super impressive. I should actually read more of his stuff. IIRC he's an interesting dude based on interviews.

Every Gibson book is fun to read and delightfully well-written. He is so stylish...

I suspect you might prefer the 'future from the '00s ' series--Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, Zero History--to the 'future from the 80s' or 'future from the 90s' series (neuromancer, count zero, mona lisa overdrive; virtual light, idoru, all tomorrow's parties). The Peripheral is cool, too.

Pattern Recognition is the only other one I've read, but I really enjoyed it. Need to read more Gibson.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

your retirement would only have actually been deleted if you had pulled out at the bottom, which would have been a panic mistake, but not at all the same thing as never even having the opportunity to build retirement in the first place

the 2001 recession was absolutely nothing like the most recent one unless you put all your money in pets.com

• Options
    mfw people talk about millennials and millennialism and they aren't talking about the impeding return of jesus christ and heaven on earth nqut3m2c9xlq.png

• Options
    Arch wrote: »

and, more appropriately

spool often mentions how you can go become an undersea welder in the gulf of mexico as an example

• Options

Spool has managed to make two different retirements, has lost them both, and yet still seems to be doing pretty well.

I don't think I'll ever have enough money to be considered a retirement available to get deleted.

This discussion has been closed.