Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Have only been getting to the gym about once a week for a while now, but still managing to hold onto my strength it seems. Did 3x5x425 deficit deads, here's the second set set https://photos.app.goo.gl/IMtTBAdjTt3EYLge2

I could probably do more to get in a real good setup position at the start of each rep, but still, not much rounding.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you gotta get more fibre in your diet, eat celery sticks. Them shits are calorie negative, that is, your body uses more calories digesting them than it gains from the process (because they're basically just a bit of fibre and some water). If you need some flavour, just bang a bit of peanut butter in 'em.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Not sure that's true - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative-calorie_food

Celery stalk has 6 calories, body uses half a calorie to digest

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Honestly, they're close enough to zero calorie that fuck it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ah well, I was wrong. Still, eating ~half a whole thing of celery is only gonna cost you 36-48 calories, and if you're not full from that then you should have eaten a pound of steak and bacon instead.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I have never been so desperate to eat something, but also so desperate to avoid calories, that eating a bunch of celery seemed like a good idea. I am genuinely, truly sorry for you if you have.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    First training session in a couple of months so decided to get a feel of where I’m at - surprisingly managed a paused single with 135kg and a triple with 120kg.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    First training session in a couple of months so decided to get a feel of where I’m at - surprisingly managed a paused single with 135kg and a triple with 120kg.

Bench, presumably?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    apparently eating lots of celery has uh certain other impacts on what your body outputs, beyond your digestion

poo
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I've been really consistent about my gym schedule over the past couple of months, but I think I'm really bad at programming.

What do you guys do for your overload weeks? Do you just do the heaviest weight possible for 1-3 reps? How many sets should I shoot for?

My weight is in a good place, so now I just want to focus primarily on strength gains.

Roz on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Where are you at right now? Programming is so dependent on your level. Are you still in the beginner phase or are you moving into more of an intermediate phase?

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I've taken a lot of L's in the weight room in terms of injuries and dumb nagging shit but my knee is fine and my back is okay and I've somehow lost 5 or 10 lbs of body weight and nothing off the bar

I really hate to admit it but cardio and yoga have been amazing and I'm a dumb idiot for blowing that stuff off when my wife told me to try it

there's more to life than gains. it's also about protecting your gains from the evils of being fat and inflexible

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Where are you at right now? Programming is so dependent on your level. Are you still in the beginner phase or are you moving into more of an intermediate phase?

I am definitely a beginner. A couple years back I lifted consistently for almost a year, but injured my shoulder somehow. After my shoulder healed, I've not been consistent. I went back to the gym for only a few weeks at a time. (Well, until this year. I've been very consistent on 5 days a week since the first week of January). When I first started, I wasn't really programming or doing anything to focus my efforts. I was mostly concerned with overall weight loss and just hitting a decent level of fitness. Since then, even when not working out, I've been able to manage my weight really well. I'm 180lbs on a 5'11 frame.

But my lifts aren't anywhere near what I'd like them to be, and I'm thinking overload weeks might help me get better strength gains. But I've never done overload days, mostly sticking to my 3X10 or 4X8 lifts.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

I am definitely a beginner. A couple years back I lifted consistently for almost a year, but injured my shoulder somehow. After my shoulder healed, I've not been consistent. I went back to the gym for only a few weeks at a time. (Well, until this year. I've been very consistent on 5 days a week since the first week of January). When I first started, I wasn't really programming or doing anything to focus my efforts. I was mostly concerned with overall weight loss and just hitting a decent level of fitness. Since then, even when not working out, I've been able to manage my weight really well. I'm 180lbs on a 5'11 frame.

But my lifts aren't anywhere near what I'd like them to be, and I'm thinking overload weeks might help me get better strength gains. But I've never done overload days, mostly sticking to my 3X10 or 4X8 lifts.

Might I interest you in the gospel of 5x5?

• Options
    Walt wrote: »
    I've taken a lot of L's in the weight room in terms of injuries and dumb nagging shit but my knee is fine and my back is okay and I've somehow lost 5 or 10 lbs of body weight and nothing off the bar

I really hate to admit it but cardio and yoga have been amazing and I'm a dumb idiot for blowing that stuff off when my wife told me to try it

there's more to life than gains. it's also about protecting your gains from the evils of being fat and inflexible

my biggest regret from when i was lifting a lot is, i kept saying, hey i should go to that donation based yoga studio across the street from my apartment like 2 or 3 times a week in addition to my lifting

and i never did

and in hindsight that would've definitely helped stave off a bunch of injuries, especially the time i hurt my back (and doing yoga after definitely helped my back a lot)

poo
  • Options
    The importance of stretching and breathing properly can't be overstated

• Options
    Roz wrote: »

If you're primarily interested in strength, I'd lower those rep ranges a bit. 5 reps will give you a good mix, with heavy triples thrown in occasionally.

• Options
    Yeah, I’ve been practicing breathwork more for obvious reasons

And breathwork is a big part of yoga

And lack of core strength + anterior pelvic tilt was a big reason I hurt my back, and that’s also very important in yoga

poo
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I only know about the celery thing because IIRC Christian Bale ate celery and 1 apple a day during his massive weight cut for The Machinist, because celery is physically filling but has little to no actual nutrients in it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    That's not so much a celery specific thing as a fibre thing. If you want to feel full on a small amount of calories you want to hit a lot of fibrous foods. Also Christian Bale is real dumb about his diets.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh, of course. He starved himself for The Machinist, then had to put on a bunch of muscle for Batman Begins right afterwards. I'm not saying anyone should emulate his movie star diet thing at all.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It helps to have your own dietician, chef and personal trainer.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Dammit, I managed to fuck up one like... middle-spine-ish muscle? I thought it was only mildly bad, but during my warmup it got super bad.

Then I was like whatever argh I can just do bench that's not really BACK related right

A.) No it still uses some of those muscles, obviously
    B.) Turns out that muscle is super important for getting off the bench. I had to roll off and get up from a crouch

Then I did just bar weight for the rest of my stuff and I'm going to do very tiny upticks for a bit and keep icing/heating/stretching/resting etc.

The good news I guess is that bar weight now feels like literally nothing.

Very annoyed. I've had this sort of tweaked muscle before but never while I was doing a lot of actual exercise and feeling good about keeping up my schedule. Is it sane to keep doing low-weight for a bit to keep in the habit? I just don't want to quit for two weeks and then find it super hard to develop the habit again.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    After injuries and me losing the habit for months I wish I had made myself go to the gym regularly even if I just sat on an exercise bike or did some body weight stuff and stretching

poo
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Turns out that muscle is super important for getting off the bench. I had to roll off and get up from a crouch

Is it sane to keep doing low-weight for a bit to keep in the habit? I just don't want to quit for two weeks and then find it super hard to develop the habit again.

Sounds like seeing a doctor wouldn't be the worst thing in the world right now.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Today was a good day for lifting at the gym, I think everything was a PR. 255lbs on squats which is totally new, 175lbs oon bench which is a return to a former peak before injury, and 190lbs on the barbell row which is totally new.

Ah fuck thought I was on an All new PR day today, 265 on squat, 180 on bench, but I fucked up and repeated 190 on row. Whoops. whatever It'll be 200 before I'm at PAX East.

275 on squat, 185 bench, 195 row

Woohoo all new progression day!!

• Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Huh, apparently there’s something worse than not putting away your weights when you’re done.

It’s putting your weights away on a rack attached to my bench while I’m mid set. Why not go full asshole by grabbing the bench and shaking the shit out of it when I’m about to reach muscle failure?

On the plus side I’m making gains :P

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I miss almost nothing about going to a gym with other people.

I mean it'd be nice to have a cable machine sometimes, but that's about it.

• Options
    Peen, have you seen the Spud cable setup for racks?

https://www.roguefitness.com/spud-inc-pulley-systems

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Back feels about 80% today!

I mean not gonna push it for a while but nothing's really complaining. Lots and lots of rest with alternating hot + cold packs seemed to do the trick.

I do appreciate the advice to maybe see a doctor, but seeing as how it is the exact same muscle complaint I managed to give myself when aggressively putting a shirt a few years back I'm going to hold off for now.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Deadlift hasn’t suffered too much. 210kg for a top single

aup89aog7zzf.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

Yeah and it's definitely on my list of things to buy but, and this is horrifically lazy and I admit that up front, I miss having everything already put together and waiting. Having to move plates on and off of my adjustable dumbbells and move cable stuff around and blah blah blah is just a pain in the ass when I'm already working out at night and starting out fatigued. Just being able to go in and do work and leave and really just worrying about putting plates away was kinda nice.

It's mildly exacerbated for me by the fact that my kids play in the gym with all of my stuff, which I encourage mind you, but it adds a layer of reassembly every time I want to actually work out.

Honestly if someone could just exercise for me that'd be great.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Yeah and it's definitely on my list of things to buy but, and this is horrifically lazy and I admit that up front, I miss having everything already put together and waiting. Having to move plates on and off of my adjustable dumbbells and move cable stuff around and blah blah blah is just a pain in the ass when I'm already working out at night and starting out fatigued. Just being able to go in and do work and leave and really just worrying about putting plates away was kinda nice.

It's mildly exacerbated for me by the fact that my kids play in the gym with all of my stuff, which I encourage mind you, but it adds a layer of reassembly every time I want to actually work out.

Honestly if someone could just exercise for me that'd be great.

Make a wall bracket for the spud pulley and you won’t have to move it, just swap weights.

For everything else, bands!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Look man, that sounds like a solution. I'm just trying to bitch about insignificant problems here, not get solutions.
    :P

• Options
    Just gotta think outside the box.
    6k4o68salsf3.jpg

• Options
    I'm probably going to try dips with my kid hanging off me tomorrow, I'll post video.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I have the spud pulley and I like it.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Ooh man 285 lbs on squat almost got me this morning. Missed the left pin when i went for my rerack at the end of my first heavy set. Decided to muscle it up on there rather than let the 285 fall and swing through me on the other pin. Managed to lightly fuck up my left arm in a squat. Like it already feels better it just like put a weird pump on it that made doing everything else in the 5x5 set feel weird. Hit 190 on bench and 200 on the row so technically all new progression day. Might repeat the 190 on bench though cause I kinda fucked a rep in the 4th set and the 5th felt... less than perfect is what ill go with (dont think i was getting low enough).

Sleep on
  • Options
    What does low enough mean? If it touched your chest, it was low enough. If it isn't then it's never been low enough.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    What does low enough mean? If it touched your chest, it was low enough. If it isn't then it's never been low enough.

It normally is down to the chest

This would pretty much be exactly the problem.

This discussion has been closed.