As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Can be lazy like I was last week, and just buy a 10lb bag of chicken breast and have that for lunch and dinner over the course of 5 days.

This week I was slightly less lazy and ordered 4.5lbs of chicken breast for lunch and 3lbs of pork chops to have for dinner.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Whomever I can rob for help at the gym, so mostly people with a college level understanding of sports and lifting. I know it's worth getting a personal trainer though, I just need to get one that understands my goals. Generally, I just don't "feel" good lifting during a heavy squat or bench. I know they're great exercises, I don't want to get rid to them. But there has to be a way to make them feel less miserable. Or at least adjust my training so I don't mind as much. I'd be happy to go back down in weight if I could find a progression that worked well. Like, my low back and hamstrings get the sorest after a squat, and I know those aren't even the prime movers of those exercises! And it "seems" like no matter how much I do them, they never stop getting sore. I can't remember the last time my glutes or quads were sore instead.

My BMR is 2100, for breakfast, it's a cup of whole milk and half a cup of oatmeal. For lunch it's 1/4-1/3lb of turkey or chicken, with one or two 80 cal sticks of string cheese, and an apple. Sometimes a protein shake made from bean protein, a banana, and a cup of milk (not the same day as a regular lunch). Then I'm usually good till dinner which is usually some kind of vegetable, broccoli/salad no dressing, meat like a plain 1/4-1/2lb ground angus or chuck beef burger, and either a potato, brown rice, or legume. I usually end the day tired, but not headachey or feeling starving.

I know I should probably see a sports nutritionist, but wanted to talk strategy first. For macro tracking what do you guys use?

Do you eat before training? Eating some carbs beforehand can make or break my training pass.

How does your programming look? In general if you want to get stronger, you have to do a lot more work in the 3-5 rep range with periods of doing 1-2 reps for more sets.

Like the others have said you generally need to up your calorie intake to get stronger, however, efficiency of movement can do a lot to up your lifts even without putting on body weight.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I’m getting sick of protein shakes! I also can’t think of a way to get 60g of protein in a similarly easy way

250 grams of steak should give you ~62 grams of protein, so just eat a half pound steak every day.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Alright weightlifters, here's my deal.

I've done a pretty effective slim down over the past few years. Going from 230lbs and a 40-41in waist to 182lb and 35in. My body fat % dropped from around 28% to 11%. I have a martial arts/cross country background, and that type of body weight exercise I've always found really enjoyable.

In terms of cardio fitness, I'm probably slightly above average. I can consistently do 3 miles over 22 minutes. 1 mile is probably around 6:40-7:00 consistently. I can manage 12-13 pulls ups a set, 50+ push ups, 50 body weight squats, etc.

In terms of strength though, I feel behind, and it's frustrating because after lifting heavy for bench and squats, I feel like garbage even at low weights. It takes me days to recover from the soreness, which in turn affects my cardio. Same for overhead press. Deadlift seems ok.

I can, *maybe* do 3/4 squats at 180lbs, and my bench 1RM hovered around 180 as well. That lifting was unsustainable though. I got severe crackling and popping in my shoulders along with some bursitis for my trouble. I can do a few sets, 3-4 of squats at 135lbs for 10 reps, and significantly more on a squat press machine. But my back and hamstrings are constantly sore afterwards, with pre and post stretching. Bench is about the same. I do occasionally ask people at the gym to check my form that I'm going to a decent depth, aren't buckling my knees in or out, and am keeping a straight back posture. At a glance they say I'm fine.

I'm not looking to break any records. But I'm not really sure where to go from here. I've tried gradually increasing the weight, but I hit a max really early where it seems like my body can't keep up. Especially with the running that I do. I'm not giving up, but some general advice on strength gains would be useful. I want to feel like I'm making some gains without screwing over my body at age 34.

What's your complete workout routine look like? Include any running or other cardio and any body weight and weight lifting you're doing.

And how's your sleep? I've found that a couple of days of bad sleep can completely stop any gains and recovery

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I’m getting sick of protein shakes! I also can’t think of a way to get 60g of protein in a similarly easy way

Half pound of chicken breast

2 cups of cottage cheese is in the neighborhood

Sleep on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I think Saturday I'm gonna try the first cycle of my deadlifts challenge. I hit back hella hard today and just about nailed it on my second set.

Deadlifts 225x6 315x6 335x3 335x2 Barbell rows 2x225x6 275x4 and then lat pulldowns, straight arms and shotgun rows with some pullups thrown in between sets. I'm feeling pretty good right now.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Half pound of chicken breast

2 cups of cottage cheese is in the neighborhood

Two whole metric cups of cottage cheese?

Kill me now, please.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    That's only 3 cans of sardines. Just bring em into work and have them as a snack.

Oh 9oz of solid white albacore tuna will also get it done... just keep an eye on your mercury levels

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Or two and a half kilograms of plain white rice.

A half pound of meat is about what you eat in a 12 inch sandwich from subway, except without all the extra bread, sauces, fixings, or sodium. A half pound of chicken or tuna on its own isn't too hard to take down.

Oh dry roasted edamame is also good but i can't remember exactly how much you need to eat. It is also real good for your pooping so that's always good.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Unfortunately I’m also trying to keep fats low which makes it more difficult, but these are still great suggestions. Thanks chaps!

A package or two of beef jerky... if you just don't give a fuck about sodium intake

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Egg whites, chicken breast, and beans. And Costco is a good place for those first two. Protein powder is just super easy and convenient. I went that route for an extra 30g just because I didn't have to think about it, fill myself up with a full meal, or be concerned about macros.

If it's about cost, see if there's any relatively local dairies that do their own whey powder. There's a place around here that sells it (80% wpc) at around $4-5 a pound compared to the $8+ it costs to buy as a packaged product at Target or Walmart or wherever. It tastes terrible though (like watered down skim milk), but you can add something for flavor or just drink it quick

• AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Haha. The whole conversation started because Tube said he was sick of protein shakes.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Egg whites is a really good suggestion, I forgot that you can just buy those in a carton. Maybe I could throw an omelette in somewhere. I'm trying to rotate foods out before I get super sick of them, and protein shakes are just starting to hit that "eh" point.

I've put 2kg back on since going on maintenance but that was expected and I'm not panicking over it. I feel muuuuuuuch better too.

edited January 2018
    Mixing it up. I'd get sick of having two chocolate shakes made with water every day as well. Especially if I'm considering it in my food budget.

Edit: I'm the worst at walking away from a post and not refreshing before posting.

Mr. Buttons on
    2 cups of egg whites for the 60 grams of protein goal.

I hate drinking shakes. A scoop of protein powder in some Greek yoghurt is ace though.

Still hitting some small PRs - double @ 205kg with one left in the tank. Finally hit my three sets of 5 with 180kg after as well.

stxgen43yxsg.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Cartons of egg whites were life savers towards the end of my last cut.

I had a lot of breakfasts that consisted of egg whites, avocado and spinach.

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Frozen fruit, low fat vanilla yogurt, honey and milk make protein shakes taste excellent.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Protein?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    2nd week of increased calories and I finally did a poo that I'm proud of. .4kg

Which scale do you like to use to weigh your poos?

I figured it was approximation... weigh yourself immediately before and after pooping... the change in weight is the approximate poo size.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    This is current women's world record holder in the 84 kg class, Danielle Melo, squatting 205/451 for 5. That's only a hair off of her current WR squat, done for a set of five. I don't understand how lifting

Peen on

The Richter scale

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Makes sense to use a logarithmic scale.

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I measured my weight before and after a poo this afternoon.

It was only a 0.6 lb difference.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    Get on my level

Best i ever cleared was 3lbs

If you’re not eating while on the toilet and thus gaining weight, you’re wasting valuable gains to that porcelain monster.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    This is current women's world record holder in the 84 kg class, Danielle Melo, squatting 205/451 for 5. That's only a hair off of her current WR squat, done for a set of five. I don't understand how lifting

I've talked about this before but it's super weird for me how easily the bar moves for the professional power lifters, even when doing weight at or near their max.

The bar is moving smoothly for her like she's repping 60% reps, not nearly her WR.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The sharp piecing pain around my spine that's been bugging me for several weeks had transitioned to a dull pulsing pain. Feels like an improvement

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited January 2018
    Finished my first deadlifts challenge at 315lbs for 6. Surprisingly easy which is a good sign so far. Had to do it twice tho because I was recording and didn't get everything in the shot. So now I've got a month to try and work up to 375 to reduce it by one rep. I'm gonna try and post the video later because I'd like somebody to take a look at my form. While executing the move everything feels ok but when I watched the play back it looks more like I'm doing the initial pull with my lower back which is super no bueno.

Juggernut on
    I start a new program next week, 4 fairly punishing days was getting to be a little much given that I'm still psychologically beat up from the end of December. Now I'm mostly the same stuff but over five days instead. I think maybe I'm coming up with a little more volume but there are no "holy shit" days like say, deadlifts and front squats on the same day.

I don't know if I can imagine anything worse than deadlifts and front squats on the same day.

Deadlifts and zercher squats?

Zercher squats are the light. They're in the rotation for tomorrow if my squat partner can't make it.
    Last week's squat session killed my hips and glutes. They were a bit sore a few days later but I thought it was all good to go. Tried heavy deadlifts a couple days ago (first time in a while) and the bar fired off the ground like it was empty.... Until I got to just below the knees. Absolutely no hip drive, not even with the momentum coming up. Snatch grip deadlifts are clearly paying off, same with the changing the intensity of my squat days. Pretty confident I'll hit my resolution target, and hopefully a lot more, by year's end

Ehh, I do front squats as an auxiliary movement after deadlift from time to time and as long you’re aware that you won’t be able to do much afterwards it’s fine.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
This discussion has been closed.