As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Had a solid delt and shoulder day. 10/10 pendlay rows into bent barbell rows, face pulls, machine lateral raises, two sets of barbell shrugs for volume and then finished out with 3x15 on the reverse pec deck.

I've got pretty good bicep/tricep depth (not so much width) and naturally larger front delts but I've noticed it definitely tapers up when it gets to my rear delts. So I'm trying to make that my focus area for a little while. Luckily the rear delts seem to respond the best to high volume isolation exercises that are relatively easy to preform.

Trying to get them boulder shoulders.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Had a solid delt and shoulder day. 10/10 pendlay rows into bent barbell rows, face pulls, machine lateral raises, two sets of barbell shrugs for volume and then finished out with 3x15 on the reverse pec deck.

I've got pretty good bicep/tricep depth (not so much width) and naturally larger front delts but I've noticed it definitely tapers up when it gets to my rear delts. So I'm trying to make that my focus area for a little while. Luckily the rear delts seem to respond the best to high volume isolation exercises that are relatively easy to preform.

Trying to get them boulder shoulders.

Get yoked son.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Overhead press, rear delt raises and face pulls do a number for boulder shoulders

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    gj9z2pab80w4.jpeg
    fgkna4jnl4gr.jpeg

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Where…where do I click for the OnlyFans?

• Options
    I haven’t worked up the courage to take feet pics

• Options

Yea you gotta work up to it. That's where the money is tho.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

The crusty piggies will finally pay off

• Options
    edited May 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »

The crusty piggies will finally pay off

You could sell your socks too, diversify the market.

In actual lifting talk though I'm steadily burning weight and I'm hoping by the end of summer I'll be low enough to get back to the gym and be able to lift with good form. I'm super excited and its a nice goal to shoot for.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm scheduled to deadlift on Sunday but

I really want to do it today. I got the taste. I'm going to bench and squat today and deadlift on Sunday but I got the taste.

• Options
    It’s natural, you can move the most weight there and you wanna fly

• Options
    Just ordered a head harness to do neck workouts. I want a fuckin caveman neck.

• Options
    Start out 2x a week 2x10-20 reps as tolerated. Lighter weight to start with.

I rarely go heavier than 50#. You can get some good work bodyweight if you start while you’re waiting for it to arrive. Hang your head off your bed or a bench and do head nods and control it for 25-50 reps. Look left and right. Do 2 rounds of that and that will fry you up. Just be intentional with it.

• Options
    Lying on my back or stomach or both?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I’ve just done back in the past.

Now with the harness the majority of the time you’re working neck extension but if you’re on your back or the chain is behind you you’re working flexion.

Jailhouse strong has a lot of neck workouts. As does Tom Haviland on the gram.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I wish Josh Bryant would stick to weightlifting and give up his JAILHOUSE TACTICAL FITNESS schtick, it's like dude you post pictures of your house and it's pretty clearly in the suburbs and you're a fitness instructor, maybe just tone it down like 19 notches, you're an extremely accomplished strength athlete and coach so maybe just rest on those laurels because they're cool enough?

• Options
    I feel like a lot of stuff like that is often based on trying to stand out in a massively over-inundated environment rather than a genuine "this is what I want to be/am" etc

• Options
    Ordinarily I'd agree but Josh Bryant isn't the kind of person who should need to do that, he's an incredibly accomplished coach who's worked with top level bodybuilders and top level powerlifters and seems to excel at coaching the best of the best, which is a rare thing. I feel like his whole thing that he's doing is more cringey than cool and a lot of that is personal bias, sure, but I wish he'd stick with being good at being strong and let the dorky tacticool stuff go.

• Options
    I find a lot of that "generic stock metal music with big slamming letters and growly voiceover" stuff to be entirely cringey and the dorky tacticool stuff doubly so, so I do agree entirely yeah

• Options
    Tactical S&C is a huge market because a) new PT tests for Army and other branches will follow b) LE/Fire/EMS have recognized the need to reduce injuries c) money $$$$$ because it’s a developing market

When you have the NSCA offering a cert, Wenning has a conjugate tactical, jailhouse tactical, etc etc. at the end of the day you’re not really doing different shit, you’re just taking weak populations and getting them stronger and recognizing for some there may be contact injuries.

• Options
    I have absolutely no idea what "Jailhouse Tactical" is but I imagine it's not as fun or cool as Jailhouse Rock.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    It's only bothers me in his case because it's all "I'm Josh Bryant, tacticool dude, awkward thumbs up" and it's not cool. There's a spectrum, from Matt Wenning's "I'm a strong dude and I teach tactical fitness as a part of my business" energy to Real World Tactical's extremely over the top "I wear fatigues 24/7 and flip tires with one hand while I eat hand grenades with the other" energy and both of those at least seem genuine. Josh Bryant just seems like he's trying a little too hard, it bothers me, this got too deep as an analysis of people I don't know based on their social media.

Peen on
  • Options
    Can he teach me how to deflect bullets with my mad flexing?

• Options
    You’re right, there is absolutely nothing tactical about Josh Bryant, but he does put out great stuff. It’s the latest fad word.

Kind of like how as much as I agree with “athlete the lower, bodybuild the upper” I fucking hate hearing it as often as I do.

• Options
  • Options
    So on the basis of "start low, get the form right" etc I just did 5 sets of 3 reps at 100kgs. That felt good and right for me for now, and I'll do that for a week and then add 10kgs and see what happens. Really fun though! Definitely a fan. And I could instantly tell how much this is great for climbing!

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Wait what

What has you mixed up?

In other news, I seem to have come down with an illness that has laid me low this weekend. The good news is I feel much better today than I did yesterday and I have expelled some gloriously thick mucus that I thought was going to choke me to death on the way out.

I need to go to the family property and mow because we’ve received over a foot of rain over the last 6 weeks and I haven’t mowed since January when my daughter was born. They’re predicting another 2-3” over the next 7 days and I need to meet with the sheriff’s office over an incident last week of a pair of miscreants cutting the fence and stashing a stolen vehicle on the property and stripping the interior. Gotta love them human traffickers.

• Options
    Cut ended a few weeks ago and I am holding steady at 191lbs, despite the introduction of a few adult beverages back into my diet. Four sets of triples on deads at 410lbs moved like rockets today. I am pleased.

• Options
    I gotta stop accidentally working out fasted. I meant to go workout after eating breakfast but I had to do laundry and then fell asleep which fucked my whole steez.

Still managed barbell bench presses, lat pull downs, over head presses, t bar rows, incline dumbell pause press, floor skull crushers, Gittleson shrugs and then two burnout amrap sets on the reverse pec deck.

About lost my grip on my left hand taking the 80 pounders back after the shrugs. My left hand grip strength was awful today for some reason.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Today's breakdown

Deadlifts
    Back squats
    Glute focused hyper extensions
    Unilateral eccentric leg extensions
    Hamstring curls
    Abductor machine
    Cable crunches

Deadlifts felt great but I only worked up to 275 lbs since I haven't done them in several months. The only problem is my grip. I don't know what's going on but for the last week or so the pads of my hands have been really sensitive and any sustained work with heavy weight starts to get really uncomfortable. So inevitably the weight starts to shift into my fingers and then my grip starts to fail. I'm trying to not get too reliant on straps but I may need to go back to them until this goes aways.

Squats are still garbage. As soon as I start loading up I can feel my lower back start to compress? I've moved the bar farther down my back for more of a low back squat and I dropped the pins a little to give me more room for depth and that helped but I'm still nervous. I guess I'll just keep taking it slow for now.

Everything else felt good. Solid lower body day.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Are you using chalk?

• Options
    The purest columbian white powder

vcwqfy6gvl4b.png

• Options
    Are you using chalk?

Nah chalk is verboten in my gym for some reason.

I'm hoping it goes away soon. It's more a pressure thing it seems like.

• Options
    Possibly unnecessary but I've found this image (well not this exact one but one like it I couldn't find) helpful in remembering where the bar should go for deadlifts, it should be right at the base of your fingers with the bar smooshed up against the pads, not more towards the middle. It's one of the earliest little fiddly form things I learned and it's still really useful.

deadlift-grip.jpg

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    *sigh*

split my forehead open with a sloppy snatch. Going to have a real nice bullseye X wound at the forefront of my bald dome for a few weeks

I'm blaming it on being away from lifting for over a month due to gym closures

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Ooooeee we setting some body weight PRs today. 330lbs squat for five sets of four. I was thirteen pounds heavier last time I did that. Not mad at that at all.

Followed up by backoffs, comp bench, bent over rows and rolling planks. Good day.

• Options
    Got an early morning lift in. Pyramids up to a 4x4 bench at 235lbs and then a back off AMRAP at 185lbs. My bench still feels like it's lagging honestly. Some days I'm confident and others the weight just don't wanna move.

I also keep running out of time to do my full workout on the days I work. I'm already getting up at 4 am/pm. If I get up any earlier I'm gonna be looking at less than 6 hours of sleep a night and if I'm lifting and working long shifts I need a minimum of 7, I'd think.

It's frustrating!

• Options
    Alright I need a deadlift form check. What's the best way to post a video here, I've never done it?

• Options
    youtube? I post my stuff to youtube when I want to put it here.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Yeah that makes sense that is a thing I can do

Edit: OK here we go.

This was 4 reps at 295 lbs which is the heaviest I've pulled since before my injury. I did one more set at that weight, then 225 for 4. My lower back started to stiffen up so I quit there. I was supposed to do squats and then barbell gulte bridges but I ended up having an extra 2 beers last night, didn't get a chance to eat this morning and I felt like sludge. No energy. So I did some accessories so it wasn't a complete waste and then called it a day. Hopefully I'll be back to strength tomorrow.

https://youtube.com/shorts/GzALMQcJLGQ?feature=share

Juggernut on
This discussion has been closed.