• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Oh yeah, links still don't work right.

Shit, totp
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Yeah that makes sense that is a thing I can do

Edit: OK here we go.

This was 4 reps at 295 lbs which is the heaviest I've pulled since before my injury. I did one more set at that weight, then 225 for 4. My lower back started to stiffen up so I quit there. I was supposed to do squats and then barbell gulte bridges but I ended up having an extra 2 beers last night, didn't get a chance to eat this morning and I felt like sludge. No energy. So I did some accessories so it wasn't a complete waste and then called it a day. Hopefully I'll be back to strength tomorrow.

https://youtube.com/shorts/GzALMQcJLGQ?feature=share

Juggernut on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Oh yeah, links still don't work right.

Shit, totp
    Yeah that makes sense that is a thing I can do

Edit: OK here we go.

This was 4 reps at 295 lbs which is the heaviest I've pulled since before my injury. I did one more set at that weight, then 225 for 4. My lower back started to stiffen up so I quit there. I was supposed to do squats and then barbell gulte bridges but I ended up having an extra 2 beers last night, didn't get a chance to eat this morning and I felt like sludge. No energy. So I did some accessories so it wasn't a complete waste and then called it a day. Hopefully I'll be back to strength tomorrow.

https://youtube.com/shorts/GzALMQcJLGQ?feature=share

NOW EVERYONE WILL SEE!!

From my laymen view it doesn't look too bad. How tall are you? My only thing is mayyyyybe you could get a little lower at the start so you are more upright? Same when you set down the weight, you really are bending at the waist to do it. Lets wait to see what Dead and the other pros say though before taking my advice. :D

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I have thoughts but I'll wait until @Dead Legend weighs in, as he is the actual certified professional in the thread.

• Options
    I am 6 feet even.

Yeah my depth has always kinda been an issue for me. I may need to reset my weight and work on lifting deeper.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, y’all.

@Juggernut your speed is a+. I think the biggest issue is starting out with your pull you let the weight pull you forward to your toes when it needs to be back on your heels. I know, midfoot and and all that shit, but just think about driving your heels through the floor.

Doing that I think should help you keep your hips level at the start and then your first movement would be your chest rising and not your hips. You could even adjust your stance width to be more narrow, but I can’t tell from that angle what you’re doing there.

I would say given that I know a little about your back, don’t over exaggerate the finish so much. Just stand up tall and squeeze the hell out of your glutes. Also, give the jujimufu Dave Tate video EliteFTS just dropped. I think they explain setting up to deadlift very nicely.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I managed to do a set of 5 at 70kgs on the bench yesterday

Felt great, very maximal though. I think I'll wait a bit before that's my working set as I doubt I could do many more but still, that feels good. That's 5kgs less than my average weight so a nice sense of improvement

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Yeah Juggs, IMHO your hips are too low when you start and your setup's a little loosey goosey so you initiate the lift by pushing with your legs, your hips shoot way up, and then you start the actual pull part where your shoulders move and that's all lower back extension at that point. I tried to set the video below to the right spot but if it starts at the start, 5:00 in is the important part; that's exactly how I set up and it's helped me to get everything set and tight:
    Cailer Woolam is one of the premier deadlifters in the world and he's also very tall, I tried to find someone with a similar body type to you.

https://youtu.be/L5paDnk51sQ?t=300

If your glutes and hamstrings start tight and loaded and you drive through your heels then your shoulders should start moving at the same time everything else does and that should protect your back more.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    So it sounds like I need to rock back a little bit in my set up? Next time I deadlift I'll try that set up you linked there.

Also, I think one of the reason I pull thru so far at the top is because my mind-muscle connection with my glutes seems pretty weak, so I may be over compensating to drive a contraction and make sure my scapulae stay retracted. I've started doing standing glute contractions whenever Im standing still and actually remember to do it, plus I'm going to see if I can squeeze in more glute ham raises on my lower body days. I think I lost some muscle mass there after the last injury and it could be making me unstable.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    I’ll agree with the much more detailed posts and say your hips look a little low, so you’re squatting the bar up to get the pull started, and your lockout has a little bit of hyperextension. Great job setting your lats, though. No cat backs here.

• Options
    How does one stop their back from rounding during the deadlift? My back just seems to round no matter the weight especially after the first rep. I can do straight back for that first rep but not after. Am I not going low enough?

• Options
    Is your lower back rounding or your upper back?

• Options
    Upper back I think? I try to keep my shoulders back and almost counter arch it? But it seems to just round a lot.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    https://youtu.be/8Wu3YBBzDMs

Look at that lol fucking shocking

Solar on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/8Wu3YBBzDMs

Look at that lol fucking shocking

My biggest recommendation is stop after every rep and reset. It looks like you're trying to bang them out. Deadlift IMO requires much more deliberate action.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I think you're right in that my first rep seems marginally better in form

• Options
    It's super common beginner stuff, you're not quite set up right so your hips pop up before anything else starts moving and your back's rounded because the rest of you is trying to catch up with your hips and get the bar off the floor. I don't know if you watched the video I linked earlier in the page but if not I would, and start this one around 4:50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3uM9bNDOik

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh hello, guess I should start posting in here.

I'm working out mostly with maces right now, which I guess isn't exactly "strength training" in the typical sense, but it's great fun to twirl a hefty chunk of metal around your head 200 times in a row.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I’ve told myself I must be more diligent about doing “serious” conditioning so twice a week I’ll push the prowler. Since we live on a hill, I’m not worried about the distance I’m pushing, since I sprint up it and then walk it back down. So it’s a 30 pace sprint and a 30 pace walk back, which is decent.

Did 10 with a little over half bodyweight on the sled, 1:30 between reps.

I believe walking the dog 3-4 miles a day right now helped significantly with how not shitty the pushes felt.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Came out of covid based hibernation. About to move, but signed up for a month at my old gym. Definitely lost some strength, gained some padding.
    Trying to take it easy to get back into the routine, DOMS are destroying me if I go too hard

But it's great to be back. I missed this so much. Glad to see a lot of familiar names are still in here too.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Fuck my back. I got two back squat reps at 225 lbs and felt my lower back flip out. Luckily it wasn't a bad one but it was enough to stop, unload and go do some hyper extensions. I don't think it's going to lay me out.

I don't know what to do. Nothing has helped me. It's completely random. Can I just never do squats again? Do I need to go get a fucking xray to see if it's a herniated disk or something?

God I'm so mad.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Fuck my back. I got two back squat reps at 225 lbs and felt my lower back flip out. Luckily it wasn't a bad one but it was enough to stop, unload and go do some hyper extensions. I don't think it's going to lay me out.

I don't know what to do. Nothing has helped me. It's completely random. Can I just never do squats again? Do I need to go get a fucking xray or something and see if it's not a herniated disk or something?

These are good questions for a (specifically sports focused) physiotherapist and not your like, employer doctor or whoever you saw last time

You want one who knows a little more about the biomechanics of lifting, probably

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I just made an ortho appointment for the 30th.

Somethings fucked up and I just need some closure. Like point a laser at me and tell me if I'm done or if I can fix it so I can plan on how much wallowing I need to do.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Switch to low bar / high bar / front squats to change leverages?

Focus on squat accessories like box squats at a lower weight?

(And yeah defer to professional assessment, I'm just throwing ideas out there)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I've dropped off in pull-up strength of late, down to being able to do sets of four at around 21-22kgs but not more. I suspect that's because I've gained weight in the last month or two, maybe just a few kilos, but I feel a little heavy. I might do a weight cut at some point, just a small one, try to drop off a few kilos. I've been doing quite a bit of strength training of late, and trying to have a calorie surplus for muscle gain, so it is to be expected.

I have also messaged a friend of mine who is an experienced deadlifter so we can have a session together where we can just go through getting the form right. I could film myself and try to do it off youtube videos all day but really I just need to go with a guy and nail that form before I try to make it a very regular thing or I'll just fuck myself up. Hopefully this week.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oof. I hadn't been to the gym for almost a month before today. I went from busy trip prep week, trip week, trip recovery week, looking for apartments week and just haven't had a moment to slow down.

I resolved that I had to get there today. Unsure how sgood I'll be on schedule but I'm gonna flex my normal routine to at least get 2 days a week until we find a new place.

My tracker recommended a full 50% deload and I thought that was ridiculous. So I pushed the numbers on squats up to 100lbs at least and that made me understand the trackers rec a little more. I felt it. It wasn't quite first day in the gym bad but I might be sore tomorrow.

So I just pushed my shoulder press up slower while warming up and just stopped at what felt right. The tracker was literally recommending an empty bar on that one. That one stung my pride a bit.

And then it wanted me to deadlift 90lbs and that was just not happening. I did 135 and it was tiring but fine. That one was kinda arbitrary "just put 45s on the bar" but it felt about where I wanted to be on a first day back kinda deal.

I accept that backslide/easing back into it is a thing. But also how dare that be a thing!

• Options
    edited June 2021
    So my current plan is

Monday - Sub-Maximum Effort Bouldering, Bench Press, Weighted Pullups

Tuesday rest

Wednesday Maximum Effort Bouldering, Bench Press, Squats

Thursday rest

Friday Sub-max Bouldering, Bench Press, Weighted Pullups

Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, Maximum Bouldering, Deadlifting, other weekend day is rest

Using weighted pullups on sub max Bouldering days will keep my pulling power up but let me have quality sessions. I've got a focus on bench and pullups which is upper body based and sport relevant, and a secondary on deads and squats for legs, core, back, general physical benefits etc.

Realistically a very doable routine clocking in at probably around 12 hours a week, of which around 3.5 is weight training, which is the mix I want. Also gives me three rest days a week, which is ideal.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I was still pissed off about yesterday and luckily my back wasn't really hurting too much so I got up and fuckin went off like an angry gorilla on my upper body.

Pyramid barbell bench sets up to 225x6x1 245x4x2 225x6x1
    Lat pulldowns 130x8x3
    Overhead barbell shoulder press 115x6x3
    Eccentric-accentuated cable rows 130x15x3 with a 2 second lowering phase
    Machine bench press
    Cable tricep kickbacks to failure and then a 95lb barbell 45° hyper extension that lit up my lats and glutes.
    Finished off with 3 sets of barbell 21's at the bar weight

So that's nice I guess.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Update: I'm getting checked out by an sports medicine orthopedic... orthopedician? Orthopediatrician? That guy, at the end of the month and assuming: A) I am not severely fucked up and B) the shits not too hella expensive, I got intouch with a sports focused training and rehab site. If I'm medically ok to actually attempt squats again I'm gonna try and get with a pro to help coach me back up to snuff. Again, assuming it's not absurd money bucks. But I need outside help at this point. Something is geeking my steez and I need to know what.

I can't say I'm excited because I'm fully expecting them to basically tell me I've fried my back, I'll never lift like I want to, and I need to give up on my passion but hey! At least I'll have an answer!

• Options
    My wife got me that Ironmaster Ultimate Row Handle and Chain Fly Kit that I posted here awhile back for Father’s Day. This thing looks like it’s straight from the 80s but it might be the most versatile piece I own. I decided to mess with it on some arm stuff with my pulley and oh god it burns so good. I haven’t even used it with a landmine, yet. Big recommend.

• Options
    I went deadlifting again and my mate gave me some good form adjustments which means my back is much flatter on all the reps especially going up, and I'm starting from a better position where my shins are more vertical, my hips aren't rising loads before the rest of me etc. I'm working on getting a smooth descent where the bar path is straight down over the feet and keeping the back straight as I do, but it is improvement.

For a third "proper" session nice to see improvement. Will keep the weight the same until my form feels generally accurate (I know truly good form takes a long time to get).

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    I went deadlifting again and my mate gave me some good form adjustments which means my back is much flatter on all the reps especially going up, and I'm starting from a better position where my shins are more vertical, my hips aren't rising loads before the rest of me etc. I'm working on getting a smooth descent where the bar path is straight down over the feet and keeping the back straight as I do, but it is improvement.

For a third "proper" session nice to see improvement. Will keep the weight the same until my form feels generally accurate (I know truly good form takes a long time to get).

Practice with an empty bar as a warm up. Stand straight and let the bar down until it's at about the middle of your shins and then lift it back up.

Do it slow and controlled and it will be obvious when you unlock your knees too early on the descent causing you to lean forward. The bar should closely follow your body during the whole movement or your bar path isnt vertical. Doing this right before you do work sets will help you maintain good activation/form.

It's very hard to form check yourself at a movement you're not used to when also loading heavy.

I wouldn't keep the weight the same unless I really had to but honestly you'll likely find success no matter your setup as long as you keep at it frequently. I teach people to start low and add weight every session.

• Options
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

Practice with an empty bar as a warm up. Stand straight and let the bar down until it's at about the middle of your shins and then lift it back up.

Do it slow and controlled and it will be obvious when you unlock your knees too early on the descent causing you to lean forward. The bar should closely follow your body during the whole movement or your bar path isnt vertical. Doing this right before you do work sets will help you maintain good activation/form.

It's very hard to form check yourself at a movement you're not used to when also loading heavy.

I wouldn't keep the weight the same unless I really had to but honestly you'll likely find success no matter your setup as long as you keep at it frequently. I teach people to start low and add weight every session.

I'll practice that, thanks. Might put a 10kg plate on each side so I can get the height of the bar off the ground when it's resting, but good shout.

I'm currently at 100kgs and just sort of trying to get the form right, you hear horror shows about back injuries etc and I'd rather get that accurate enough before I start ranging in to what I can do with decent form in sets of 3. I did a single life of 140kgs my first sessions so I think once I start putting weight on I'll get to about 120kgs and then work there for a while. Not really remotely strong but I think if I commit to a once a week session I'll see improvement towards my goal of 180kgs.

• Options
    Went up to 110kgs yesterday and did 5 sets of 3. Form is improving and my back is staying consistently straight which is what I want. I think there's definitely a weak point which is my leg drive; my legs aren't strong enough that I can start with my bum really low because the drive doesn't move the weight it just lifts my hips up, and then I rely on my back and hip thrust to actually lift the weight. So I think I need to strengthen the legs a little, hopefully a squat session per week will do that.

• Options
    Went to try squats and 135 felt ok I guess. I put 185 on the bar, which was always a warmup for me and this time I psyched myself out before I ever got under it and just quit and moved on to the next exercise.

Also, sorry I'm using this thread to complain about my shit. I just have zero other strength community with which I interact or, like, anybody else that understands lifting and why I just don't stop doing it.

In other news I still can't quite tell a difference between only working 4 days a week as opposed to 5. Three days of extra sleep before a shift are nice for sure but it's hard to tell if that's translating to better lifts or at least workout quality. I'd like to think it is. But also 3rd shift makes it difficult to do anything at all so that may be coloring some of my perception here.

• Options
    We've all used this thread to complain about shit, sometime's shit's just shitty. I feel pretty confident saying that we're all rooting for you to find a new gig or renegotiate the one you've got because third shift is bad for you.

• Options
    So I decided to peak this initial bench press cycle at 65kgs and drop back to 55kgs for a week, then go up to 60 for a week, then 65, then see how 70 feels. I'm starting and ending sessions with ten reps at 40 and it feels like this is a better cycle than just my initial attempt to push the numbers.

Squat I am still just doing five sets at 70kgs, deadlifts I went up to 110kgs and I'm going to drop to 90kgs, then go back up to 100kgs, then 110kgs, and then see how 120kgs feel. Basically do monthly cycles for my ancillary weight training. My pull-ups I am trying a new programme a friend recommended to me of just doing like, half (rounded down) max reps with no added weight several times a day every day (just like, before breakfast, after lunch, in the evening, before bed etc), which for me currently is like 7 reps. The reason he found that good was that the reps and no added weight basically doesn't tax you at all, you can just do it often, it doesn't reduce the quality of any bouldering sessions etc. I just basically am looking at doing like, 100-150 pull-ups reps a week on top of everything else.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've done one year of very casual mace swinging in my living room, but it's been pretty limited due to both little space, plus things like "ceiling height" and "glass bookshelf doors".

I've actually started going outside recently, and oh boy, so much more fun when you can go wild with reckless abandon on an empty football field.

Indoors I'm mostly just standing with the feet planted to the ground due to the lack of space, but I'm slowly starting to try some pivots, and oh boy, it feels scary to do a 180 with a steel mace whirling around your head and hoping you did the right turn so you don't twist your arms out of their sockets.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Speaking of commiserating, injury fairy came to visit during floor paused deads, on the last rep of a session that was going really well. Pop right in my lower spine and I had to drop the rep. I won’t know how bad it is until I wake up tomorrow, but looks like I’m lifting off blocks for a month.

On the plus side, maybe I can use this to convince my wife I need a trap bar to mitigate these injuries as I get older…

Gork on
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Went up to 110kgs yesterday and did 5 sets of 3. Form is improving and my back is staying consistently straight which is what I want. I think there's definitely a weak point which is my leg drive; my legs aren't strong enough that I can start with my bum really low because the drive doesn't move the weight it just lifts my hips up, and then I rely on my back and hip thrust to actually lift the weight. So I think I need to strengthen the legs a little, hopefully a squat session per week will do that.

I've recently lost strength in my DL which is always infuriating, going from 180 to 170. It happens I guess, I just gas out really hard.

I saw your vid some week ago. It might help to imagine pushing your feet through the floor instead of pulling or raising your back, your ass flying up is a symptom of lacking in body pressure. If your legs start pushing but the next stage is loose you'll lose your shape.

Take a big breath.

• Options
    Gork wrote: »
    Speaking of commiserating, injury fairy came to visit during floor paused deads, on the last rep of a session that was going really well. Pop right in my lower spine and I had to drop the rep. I won’t know how bad it is until I wake up tomorrow, but looks like I’m lifting off blocks for a month.

On the plus side, maybe I can use this to convince my wife I need a trap bar to mitigate these injuries as I get older…

Trap bars can be pretty cheap, I got a CAP bar from Amazon for like $150 and it's held up just fine. Granted I'm only pulling up to 500ish lbs on it and the welds are ugly as sin but it's been a champ.

I am lusting after an open trap bar, I don't need one but I want one real bad.

This discussion has been closed.