As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    @shorttimin I really appreciate your thoughts, I'm going to give it a shot

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I did my 5x5 at 70kgs on the bench yesterday, and then me 3x5 OHP at 40kgs, and my god, I desired death. I think I must be ill given that last week the 75kgs and 45kgs felt easier than those sets yesterday!

• Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    Been experimenting with setups that allow me to have more time to recover after shifting off of beginner/linear progression stuff.

Currently I’m doing
    Squat and Bench on Monday 3x5
    OHP, assisted Pull Ups on Wednesday 3x5
    Deadlift on Friday 1x5 (also been doing some light Farmer Carries afterwards because I’m struggling w grip strength)

It makes room for me to do 15-20 minutes of a cardio warmup and allows me to recover a little better since I work with kids and will struggle to find rest days outside of the weekend.

I’m stagnating a bit with Deadlifts, so it feels like the move might be to deload a bit to focus on form and develop my grip strength as I work back up to my current weight. (Grip is failing at 195lbs, thinking of dropping down to 165 and pulling 1-2 more reps since I haven’t had the same issues there)

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    that was around the point in deadlift where I had to start using a reverse grip. As much as possible I warm up in a standard grip and try to only do a reverse grip on the working weight set. If you're not already using that, then it is a big help because it stops the bar from rotating on you, which is from gravity telling you to piss off. so in a way, the reverse grip is a defiance of gravity.

• Options
    that was around the point in deadlift where I had to start using a reverse grip. As much as possible I warm up in a standard grip and try to only do a reverse grip on the working weight set. If you're not already using that, then it is a big help because it stops the bar from rotating on you, which is from gravity telling you to piss off. so in a way, the reverse grip is a defiance of gravity.

The power of the Elphaba style deadlift is unfathomable

Joking aside, I’ve been switching to mix grip on my work sets lately but I think hitting the pause button on big number going up and focusing in on my form would be beneficial in the long run. Is reverse grip typically a bigger boost than mixed?

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Anecdotally, I never let grip strength limit my deadlift progression. I deadlift to get better at deadlifting (and grow the associated muscle groups). There’s plenty of other things I can do for grip strength/forearm hypertrophy.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Why on Earth would you drop the weight down if your form doesn’t need fixing and the lift is “stagnating”? And even then, that is only a couple of training days.

Go do some triples or an extra set or two.

Edit: unless you don’t want to, I mean not everybody’s goal is the same.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    eddizhere wrote: »

Joking aside, I’ve been switching to mix grip on my work sets lately but I think hitting the pause button on big number going up and focusing in on my form would be beneficial in the long run. Is reverse grip typically a bigger boost than mixed?

Oh I might be using the wrong term or we’re just naming the same thing differently. By reverse I meant one hand in one out

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Why on Earth would you drop the weight down if your form doesn’t need fixing and the lift is “stagnating”? And even then, that is only a couple of training days.

Go do some triples or an extra set or two.

Edit: unless you don’t want to, I mean not everybody’s goal is the same.

Sorry, didn’t mention it but my form started to break down as my grip started to fail. I just restarted deadlifts after a while off and I think I pushed the weight up faster than I should have. I’m lifting on my own and don’t have anyone to keep me accountable wrt form so I’m just trying to play it safe
    eddizhere wrote: »

Oh I might be using the wrong term or we’re just naming the same thing differently. By reverse I meant one hand in one out

Yeah we’re talking about the same thing!

• Options
    Get some chalk and video your dead’s from the side.

• Options
    Chalk, which I only got because of this thread, does have a huge impact on grip strength. And I was one of the people who posted here about "if you can't grip it you can't lift it" motto.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    My gym sucks and doesn't allow chalk because of reasons.

I've kind of moved away from straps because I felt like something about them was throwing my stance off? It's not a complete theory but it felt like I wasn't fully locking my lats back because the weight was rolling forward in my hands a little due to the straps. Thus it was throwing off my balance and causing me to hinge more at my lower back than I wanted and possibly led to injury?

I may try those kinds that are like a blend of hooks and pads? I don't know what they're called. In the meantime I'm building my deadlift back so slowly anyway I figure I'll just lift it barehanded and work on my grip strength, too.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    I lift in a climbing gym so chalk is actively encouraged, not that I have any issues with my grip strength as my fingers are considerably stronger than the rest of me lol

• Options
    Straps do change your technique slightly.

Also, if your form gets squirrelly at higher weights, that’s natural. So long as it’s not just absolute dog taking a shit rounding, be mindful of where the breakdown occurs (video), and find a way to build it up.

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    @shorttimin I really appreciate your thoughts, I'm going to give it a shot

Excellent! If you pick up any of their templates besides Bridge and Powerbuilding 1/2, let me know. I'd like to see someone else's opinion on some of their other programs.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    No real surprise I guess but it looks like World's Strongest Man might have a wee bit of a corruption issue. I hate this kind of thing, I don't know how you make any sporting organization fair and impartial but it sucks that it seems like even something as relatively small as WSM can't just be pure sport.

Edit: Audio is Luke Stoltman, of the giant Stoltmans, if you can't just recognize him by voice.

Peen on
  • Options
    So I've started squatting once a week. Never squatted before other than like, 2-3 half hearted non sessions last year

I can currently squat 80kgs for 3 as my rough sort of max for 3, maybe a little more but with my knee that's what I'm sticking with, a truly poverty amount (I can literally bench more) but there you go.

So basically I'm going to do working sets of 70 for a while, then slowly push. I don't want to grow my legs at all, actively the opposite in some ways, but I would like somewhat stronger and more stable legs. If I could get to 120-130kg for a single rep backsquat that'd definitely be good for helping with falling and landing.

So yeah away we go

• Options
    I have hit my first fail on deadlifts since getting back into it. I got 2 reps @ 210 after my warmups and my body was just not moving for that next rep.

• Options
    There's a lot that can play into that, you'll hit it next time.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Any specific lifts I should avoid or look into as someone with a shaky L1/L2 (herniated disc that I was able to rehab, but definitely has never been 100% since)?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Any specific lifts I should avoid or look into as someone with a shaky L1/L2 (herniated disc that I was able to rehab, but definitely has never been 100% since)?

We can offer advice but I think that one is in the realm of see a medical professional.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

We can offer advice but I think that one is in the realm of see a medical professional.

The basic orthopedic answer to that is going to be "all of them", but make an appointment regardless.

• Options
    Today I was dicking about trying snatch grip overhead squats with my mate, for fun, and I dropped 40kgs on my head like a real fuckwit. So don't do that.

• Options
    Good workout today despite hitting it late.

I'm getting a little better at hitting 250 on the bench though I usually only get one good set for 4 and then the next is maybe 3.

Took 55lb Arnold presses to an actual failure on my second set and then also took bent over dumbbell real delt rows to failure. About 30lbs for 12. Sometimes it feels real good to fail sets, especially ones that won't kill you.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Pulled 295 pounds on the deadlift today. Was supposed to be for sets of 4 but I did sets of 3 juuuuuuust in case. I've noticed since I started focusing really hard on my breathing and using deep inhales to brace I get significantly fewer reps of things because its surprisingly hard to not get light headed. I dunno if I'm doing my Valsalvas wrong or if that's about what it's supposed to be like.

Real close to getting back to 300+ in something though.

Also, I move front squats so much better than back squats. I only push about 115-135lb with 135lbs being my "I feel strong days". I dunno if it's just the weight range being light enough to let me focus on form better but my body just seems to take to that move much more naturally.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    My buddy who is a Pro-Am lifter in the sense he does a lot of research and lifts crazy weight and is very supportive was telling me to get onto dumbbell bench press and I kept resisting until this last week.

So he coached me through the move and some tips and while it sucks to use so much less weight, the stretch and feel is so much better. My chest feels like I really worked it out instead of just "general soreness" like with the barbell.

I might be a convert.

• Options
    Dumbbell bench press is good times

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    So workout 62 in stronglifts completed yesterday…

I’m currently at 250 squat 5x5, 265 dead 1x5, but kinda stalling out in bench (failed on rep three of the fifth set at 160).

Does bench just take longer to progress? I hit 300 on squat over a month ago but dropped down to 225 to address form and depth concerns, and seem to be moving fast there, and dead is my favorite lift that’s also moving pretty ok (nothing makes me “feel” stronger than finishing a dead set).

Same with OHP. Can’t break 100.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    So workout 62 in stronglifts completed yesterday…

I’m currently at 250 squat 5x5, 265 dead 1x5, but kinda stalling out in bench (failed on rep three of the fifth set at 160).

Does bench just take longer to progress? I hit 300 on squat over a month ago but dropped down to 225 to address form and depth concerns, and seem to be moving fast there, and dead is my favorite lift that’s also moving pretty ok (nothing makes me “feel” stronger than finishing a dead set).

Same with OHP. Can’t break 100.

I always found that increasing pressing frequency and volume broke my plateaus. My happy place is benching 4x/week.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I came across "designer kettlebells" starting at a mere $1300 for this 8 kg (~17.5 lbs) one, and spent the next five minutes wincing.

qecduibaqy9i.png

• Options
    There’s a lot of high-end, bespoke gym equipment out there that is mostly all about aesthetics. I’m crazy about equipment, but usually only when it gives me access to new movements at home. Seems a little silly to me, but different strokes.

• Options
    On my quest to bench 4 plates I utilized the hell out of DB bench on my dynamic effort days for a three week cycle. Like 4x25 volume wise with what was approximately 10% of my max bench per DB. So 35’s-40’s were used exclusively on those days.

• Options
    HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKERS I JUST PULLED A 300 POUND DEADLIFT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN LIKE 2 YEARS!

Take that rehab guy who said my days of heavy lifting were over you fuckin nerd.

Ok yeah my squat is still hot garbage but fuck it my deads are coming back baby. Imma get back in that 3 plate per side club so help me God.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Strong effort youth! I also deadlifted 135kgs today and my knee felt fine, so I'm pleased with that. It's definitely the limit of what I can do with good(ish) form at the moment though so if I want to drive it up I'll need to do some squatting but still, feels solid. I'll be probably limiting myself to 120kg deadlifts in the meantime.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Fun facts, my body is also betraying me and my knee is fucky. If I execute an absolutely perfect squat, it doesn’t hurt, but any amount of deviation and it does.

No amount of compression/heat does shit. Stretching / rolling doesn’t do shit. Massage doesn’t do shit. This narrows it down to not muscular. So now the question is did I fuck up a ligament or did I somehow suffer a stress fracture (have experience). By the time I could get a doctor’s appointment, any X-ray or MRI would likely not be useful in guiding prognosis if it is a stress fracture. So I am holding in a “wait and see” pattern.

The most fun thing is there was no one moment that I can pinpoint and say “ah, it was this”.

It really makes bathing a child difficult. Or walking the dog. Or getting in the truck or even lifting my leg to get in bed. Or conducting summer workouts for athletes.

Training around it in the meantime. Aleve helps get through the morning to midday. I decided some bourbon will do the trick this evening.

On the other hand, I had a decent bench day yesterday and moved 350 for 2 sets of doubles then did a back off at 285 for 10 then got a magnificent arm pump coupled with heavy fat grip DB shrugs and neck work. So not far off my from my best, but have some ground to make up.

Edit: I do also have to consider some manner of hip dysfunction or IT band issues. Which the fun thing is getting to find out what makes it feel better!

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Does it hurt in any particular consistent place? Like on the inside of the joint etc

• Options
    In more equipment news, Rogue just bought Ghost Strong. The owner of Ghost Strong made a pretty sincere post about his struggles and the needs of the business, so understandable and definitely the right move for him. They have a lot of overlap, though, and I don’t see Rogue getting into high end customizations. Makes me wish I did the Garage Gym Competition this year, since the grand prize was a customized Ghost Strong/ChadBot power rack.

Speaking of ChadBot, five sets of eight on deficit deads, starting at 355lbs. Eat a dick, robot.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    First time I’ve recorded my squats. Any feedback/criticism would be fantastic.

Didn’t edit at all, sorry. Come off of the rack at 30s

https://youtu.be/Xjf6j88Y6N4

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Not much to say besides nice set. Looks pretty good from that angle. I can tell you’re focusing hard on pushing your knees out, which may or may not be necessary.

• Options
    Yeah even at that angle it's pretty obvious you're burying them so not much to say there, if there were any way to get more of a profile shot there might be something but as presented, those are good squats!

This discussion has been closed.