As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get 2018 [chat]ted off right

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    so do i need to, like, disconnect from the internet for a week

like, i can see the technical details of how these work, but what's the ultimate consequence? like, in laymans terms, what does this allow a bad actor to do? take over my system, get my private information?

Let's them read through stuff going through the processor. At a personal level basically very little. It is more a cloud server issue as it allows folks to skip around encryption stuff I guess.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    To be fair, y'all could made some bank on this if you had bought AMD yesterday when the news broke.

That guy needs to go down for insider trading though.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Variant #2 (Spectre) basically means I can root kit the fuck out of any system by injecting my own instruction address into the branch prediction cache. :rotate:

That’s amoreeeee

Wait wait wait, so you can essentially just tell it where to put all the info you are looking for?

Sleep on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Thomasville, GA in southwest GA got some snow.

This is the pretty deep south so people drove from miles away to see it, and it was the talk of the area.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    How does this effect me, the one person I care about

Here's what you have to do
    eHE37se.gif

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    the real question is how is this going to affect my gaming PC?

although there's something deliciously capitalistic about the idea that everybody's gaming PCs will run 30% slower, so gamers end up buying higher-end processors to make up the difference and Intel ends up making money from this

i'm guessing that's not how this works but the idea is funny and also not funny

See Thom's statement above.

There's a lot we still don't know, but gaming performance is unlikely to be severely affected by this.

especially if you have a Skylake or Kaby Lake processor

hmm mine is Devil's Canyon apparently

wtf i had no idea processors had codenames

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    the real question is how is this going to affect my gaming PC?

although there's something deliciously capitalistic about the idea that everybody's gaming PCs will run 30% slower, so gamers end up buying higher-end processors to make up the difference and Intel ends up making money from this

i'm guessing that's not how this works but the idea is funny and also not funny

See Thom's statement above.

There's a lot we still don't know, but gaming performance is unlikely to be severely affected by this.

especially if you have a Skylake or Kaby Lake processor

hmm mine is Devil's Canyon apparently

What is, "old timey name for female genitalia", Alex.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    How does this effect me, the one person I care about

Do you run a lot of cpu intensive processes like rendering or massive video/art projects? Minimal. Just patch computer up and hope for the best.

Its the cloud and banking world that are shaking right now.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Gf's roommate is opening his pork bun restaurant this year. Omg his bao is so good. The other day he magicked up a faux beef stir fry and it was barely distinguishable from the real thing, too, which was v impressive

They're also doing custom sodas

I will be fat

will?

I can't, in good conscience, awesome this, because EM is secretly a lovely person and is really rather svelte

But by god I was so close to pulling the trigger, let me tell you

One word jokes / burns get me every time

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

like, i can see the technical details of how these work, but what's the ultimate consequence? like, in laymans terms, what does this allow a bad actor to do? take over my system, get my private information?

For home users, standard security recommendations apply: make sure your browser and operating system are up to date, don't run browser add-ons that you don't need, don't install a lot of crapware apps, run a decent antivirus program.

In order to take advantage of the new vulnerabilities, a hypothetical attacker still has to trick your computer into running some kind of malware.

The reason that so many people are shitting their pants over this is because this allows somebody who rents space on a cloud hosting provider to potentially access other customers' spaces on the same provider. That's not something that you, as a home user, can do much about.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Let's them read through stuff going through the processor. At a personal level basically very little. It is more a cloud server issue as it allows folks to skip around encryption stuff I guess.

Basically anything can get out of sandbox. The big info sec fears I've been seeing have been two fold. Escaping VMs which is horrifying for enterprise customers. And the ability to have JS escape it's sandbox to do things like trying to grab passwords. So the solution is updating your patches. Right now there aren't any known malware using this in the wild. So the end of the world isn't upon us. But patch.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    there are only 2 Devil's Canyon processors?

is my CPU secretly garbage?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Gf's roommate is opening his pork bun restaurant this year. Omg his bao is so good. The other day he magicked up a faux beef stir fry and it was barely distinguishable from the real thing, too, which was v impressive

I will be fat

What was his faux beef

I ask because I stir fried aubergine marinated in miso this evening and it came out surprisingly meaty

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It's so cold a water main broke about a half mile from home yesterday. Shut the road down for 16 hours while they dug it up and fixed it. We're under a boil water order for 48 hours. Today, the city gov announced there's so much ice in the water at the pumping plant, we're also under a limit consumption notice, because the plant is struggling to pump water.

4 more days until it even gets close to being above freezing...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Basically anything can get out of sandbox. The big info sec fears I've been seeing have been two fold. Escaping VMs which is horrifying for enterprise customers. And the ability to have JS escape it's sandbox to do things like trying to grab passwords. So the solution is updating your patches. Right now there aren't any known malware using this in the wild. So the end of the world isn't upon us. But patch.

Which you should be patching anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    japan wrote: »

I will be fat

What was his faux beef

I ask because I stir fried aubergine marinated in miso this evening and it came out surprisingly meaty

his faux beef was pretending that Drake's callout in his latest album really offended him

but it turns out the two are really good buddies and it was just an extended in-joke

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

I will be fat

will?

I can't, in good conscience, awesome this, because EM is secretly a lovely person and is really rather svelte

But by god I was so close to pulling the trigger, let me tell you

One word jokes / burns get me every time

Yeah?

• Options
    look last time i patched i lost like half an hour of streaming time and a bunch of viewers

so i think the solution is to never patch

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Thomasville, GA in southwest GA got some snow.

This is the pretty deep south so people drove from miles away to see it, and it was the talk of the area.

Charleston and Mt. Pleasant both go several inches and that's nutzo.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's so cold a water main broke about a half mile from home yesterday. Shut the road down for 16 hours while they dug it up and fixed it. We're under a boil water order for 48 hours. Today, the city gov announced there's so much ice in the water at the pumping plant, we're also under a limit consumption notice, because the plant is struggling to pump water.

Global climate change is a real bitch.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Not sure about Matt's area, but Baltimore blows a main water main about once a month. Seems like more often, sometimes, TBH. They refuse to fix the system comprehensively, so... I mean yeah, global climate change is going to fuck a lot of shit, but the problems here aren't really to do with that. They are still using wood pipes as originally laid in olden times in some areas. Shit is ridic.

Also, I had planned on working from home for a while. Instead I've gotten a bit tipsy on champagne.

So it goes.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Seveneves was really good even if
    The genetics bit towards the end is basically 30 years out of date.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

We're selling this one as a "Classic Canadian" winter.

Which, admittedly, it does largely feel like so far. That it occasionally hits temperatures colder than the surface of Mars really isn't THAT bad.

Catastrophic for places not used to nor prepared for this kind of weather? Sure, I can see that.

But so far climate change is just saying "toughen up, pussies!", in my opinion.

Do you really NEED land to live on or water to drink or for entire continents to not be on fire? I feel like those are more WANTS than NEEDS, to be honest.

• Options
    Also yay I have Kabylake so I am mostly safe.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

For home users, standard security recommendations apply: make sure your browser and operating system are up to date, don't run browser add-ons that you don't need, don't install a lot of crapware apps, run a decent antivirus program.

In order to take advantage of the new vulnerabilities, a hypothetical attacker still has to trick your computer into running some kind of malware.

The reason that so many people are shitting their pants over this is because this allows somebody who rents space on a cloud hosting provider to potentially access other customers' spaces on the same provider. That's not something that you, as a home user, can do much about.

Okay, the bolded is a bit of a lie.

This is a possible vector for data leaks and identity theft.

But everybody should be taking basic steps against identity theft anyway:

- Stop reusing passwords. Use a password manager if you can.
    - Check your credit report once a year.
    - Consider getting a credit freeze.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    *stuffs food in face*

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Also yay I have Kabylake so I am mostly safe.

Oh Kabylake is good?

Nice. *high five*

I just built this guy. Was a little miffed about the news TBH. Nobody gives a shit about my data. I'd rather have the performance.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Okay [chat] I'm going to dive into the world of video games for a bit, bat-signal if ya need / want me

I'll also apparently be texting like I'm a 14 year old girl 'cause this lady is all about texting at the moment

Be good, do good, all that good stuff! <3

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    14 year old girls don't text they snap and insta god you're so old

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Feral-sama, what's a good password manager?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Feral-sama, what's a good password manager?

1password

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Even I don't really text very much

Blameless Cleric on

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options

(most of it IS being done through Snapchat which I hadn't used or had on my phone until yesterday and oh god what am I doing)

Also whenever I check my credit report it just says "Quarantined". That's good, right?

Also seriously now I am away, I want to get lost in a virtual world for a couple hours!

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    mind to mind transfer

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

(most of it IS being done through Snapchat which I hadn't used or had on my phone until yesterday and oh god what am I doing)

Also whenever I check my credit report it just says "Quarantined". That's good, right?

Also seriously now I am away, I want to get lost in a virtual world for a couple hours!

Oh my God narwhal give me your snap so I can send you snaps of kitties I see on walks and sometimes Pinecone dancing when he doesn't know I'm looking (100% of my snap content is those things)

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    Okay [chat] I'm going to dive into the world of video games for a bit, bat-signal if ya need / want me

I'll also apparently be texting like I'm a 14 year old girl 'cause this lady is all about texting at the moment

Be good, do good, all that good stuff! <3

Here, this should help
    qr5h9ajlewl2.jpg

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Trace wrote: »
    mind to mind transfer

I'm ready

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Have you ever had sex with a pharaoh?
    Put the pussy in a sarcophagus
    Now she claiming that I bruised her esophagus
    Head of the class and she just won a swallowship

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh people should send me snaps. I almost never make them myself but I would enjoy leeching off others more

• Options
    2126559-bane.jpg

*snap*

This discussion has been closed.