As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wierdest...error...evar?

MisfitZMisfitZ Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, this young lady who's computer I occasionally work on had a really, really weird issue the other day, one I haven't been able to replicate.

When using a boot-time virus scan (avast) she noticed that, in addition to the normal scanning information, there was also messages scrolling across the screen to the tune of: we have the bombs; We're watching you; Unload your ammo and get the girl; Bombs away; etc etc. of similar nature. Obviously she was a little concerned, so she called me up. I checked the machine, no obvious malware, no viruses I could find with avast, trend micro or etrust, no spyware I could find...

Now, I have no idea what could have caused this to begin with. From what I understood, a boot-time scan took place before any network initialization, any operating system files could run, etc. I don't know how a virus, trojan, or anything else could cause this. I'm on the verge of just reformatting the machine, just to be sure.

Anyone ever heard of a similar issue? And yes, I am pretty much just whoring for help. I realize that this has very little entertainment value for most people.

"..And then Man went on to prove that black was white, and got killed at the nearest zebra crossing."
MisfitZ on

• Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    BIOS infection?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    She's just trying to get into your pants.

Tzen on
  • Options
    FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Someone did the same thing on one of my old high school's computers; random, non-standard messages like that were popping up during the boot sequence. I think it was due to someone cracking open the BIOS and going to town, can't remember exactly.

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Girls love the computer guy.

It's a fact.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

It's a fact.

They love to have him fix her boyfriend's computer.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

It's a fact.
    I think she needs more RAM.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My ADOBE Photo Viewer program comes up with 'Error: Everything worked ok!' or something similar to that.

That is a weird error.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not so much an error as it is me not bothering to sort out how the applet works, but my desktop Firefox launcher opens the browser on the Wikipedia entry for the letter U, rather than my home page. Before that, it was the homepage for the University of Alberta.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Follow the white rabbit?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    MisfitZ wrote: »
    Ok, this young lady who's computer I occasionally work on had a really, really weird issue the other day, one I haven't been able to replicate.

When using a boot-time virus scan (avast) she noticed that, in addition to the normal scanning information, there was also messages scrolling across the screen to the tune of: we have the bombs; We're watching you; Unload your ammo and get the girl; Bombs away; etc etc. of similar nature. Obviously she was a little concerned, so she called me up. I checked the machine, no obvious malware, no viruses I could find with avast, trend micro or etrust, no spyware I could find...

Now, I have no idea what could have caused this to begin with. From what I understood, a boot-time scan took place before any network initialization, any operating system files could run, etc. I don't know how a virus, trojan, or anything else could cause this. I'm on the verge of just reformatting the machine, just to be sure.

Anyone ever heard of a similar issue? And yes, I am pretty much just whoring for help. I realize that this has very little entertainment value for most people.

It could be that a particularly clever virus writer managed to creativly name filed that would be flagged by a virus scan. Essentially what you do is give it the signature of a known virus, change the name of the file, and watch as the virus scanning program echoes that file name up on to the screen.

I've seen something like it before with ASCII art, where a guy was able to make Norton Anti Virus display a floppy dong made out of # and @ symbols

Brolo on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Acid flashbacks.

august on
  • Options
    HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    yourerror.gif

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • Options
    FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    HAKdragon wrote: »
    yourerror.gif

I love it.

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sounds like if its windows 98(or 2k or eirlier?), its an edited startup config file where they echo phrases, we used to do that sort of thing to the school computers for fun every so often.

edit: I want to say boot.ini or config.sys file? I havent messed with it in yeaaaaaaars

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    iWin.jpg

MrOletta on
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Somebody set her up the bomb.

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, it sounds like echo comments in an Autoexec.bat file. A boot time virus scan will sometimes dismiss the Windows boot image and show what goes on behind, so that is probably why she doesn't always see it.

If it really is Win9x, hit escape when you see the logo and hit it again when it pops back up. This will let you see what prints out behind it. If this is what is happening, you can edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file with Notepad to remove those lines.

CZroe on
  • Options
    wasted lifewasted life Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not so much an error as it is me not bothering to sort out how the applet works, but my desktop Firefox launcher opens the browser on the Wikipedia entry for the letter U, rather than my home page. Before that, it was the homepage for the University of Alberta.

Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search for "u" yields university of alberta homepage. I imagine that your launcher is set to launch "firefox u" instead of "firefox". The reason it now opens wikipedia entry for letter "u" is probably because you set wikipedia as your default search.

wasted life on
    Now Playing: Picross (DS), Phantom Hourglass (DS), GOD HAND (PS2), No More Heroes (Wii)
    My Backlog
    Super Saver Comics!