As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Computer Problem

InsiderInsider Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Just built myself a new rig with some new and some old parts. It seemed to be working great but now I'm getting a wierd problem. After leaving it on for a significant amount of time (all night yesterday, and all day today) I get this problem where the comp just starts lagging every 1-2 seconds. So I check my temps and such and they are all fine, I check my processes etc. See nothing out of the ordinary except my first core seems to be at 11% usage during idle pretty constantly. I have a core 2 duo E6600, brand new. Don't understand why it is doing this and making my computer lag so bad?

A restart seems to fix it. Just want to know what is causing this to happen so I can fix it. Thank.

Steam
Sneaky..
Insider on

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Insider wrote: »
    JSee nothing out of the ordinary except my first core seems to be at 11% usage during idle pretty constantly.

Is there any specific process that uses that a lot of CPU resources?
    I find it a bit easier to monitor CPU usage with Process Explorer, as it doesn't show 00 next to totally idle processes; it also shows DPCs and Interrupts which, if using a lot of CPU when idle, might point to a driver or hardware problem.

Some things that probably aren't related but which you might want to do anyway are updating the drivers (in case you used the ones that came with the hardware) and updating the motherboard BIOS.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Sorry, I went out of town. I DL'ed that process explorer and it seems I am getting 'Hardware Interupts'. What is the cause of this? All my stuff is updated. I have this: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2456 mobo and the E6600.

This only happens when the computer has been on for 5+ hours, and like I said before, a restart fixes it.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm still trying to figure this out and I'm seeing alot of stuff about how the hardware interrupts are from IRQ.

This is my IRQ screen, can anyone tell me if they notice any problem?
    irqqz6.th.gif

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Anyone have any ideas at all? I'm getting pretty desperate to fix this.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Have you tried the standard AV/Spyware scan?

Windows Update/Latest hardware drivers?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Have you tried the standard AV/Spyware scan?

Windows Update/Latest hardware drivers?

Yes, I've done all obvious courses of action.

Reset Bios to Defaults
    Updated all my drivers
    Scanned for vir/spyware
    Fully updated windows xp pro

Still same problem.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Have you tried re-seating/swapping out your keyboard and mouse? It's a longshot, but faults with either of those two can apparently cause spurious interrupts.

Not sure though -- no expert, here. Just trying to help you out.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Tried switching them out. Same thing after 5+ hours. I timed it this time. I restarted at exactly 1:30PM and I noticed it start doing the Hardware interrupt thing at 7:03. Frustrating...

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Just noticed something. I have 6 USB ports on my computer but there are 7 showing up in the devince manager?

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hardware interrupts are nothing more than some piece of hardware in your computer asking for the CPU's attention on a task it needs done.

It could be that you are seeing spurious interrupts or an interrupt storm. These are usually unwanted or unnecessary interrupts. A good way to look at it is someone dialing the wrong number or placing a crank call over and over to the same place. If the CPU gets too many of these it will cause it to slow down.

Does the process explorer tell you where the interrupt is coming from? Odd are it is from one of the older pieces of equipment in your computer that is reaching the end of its life.

You many want to consider turning the computer off while it is not in use. Waiting for it to start up may be a pain but this will extend the life of the older hardware.

Koekjes on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Insider wrote: »
    Just noticed something. I have 6 USB ports on my computer but there are 7 showing up in the devince manager?

Lots of motherboards have an internal USB port or USB header pins for stuff like 3.5" bay cardreaders.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Please list all peripherals you have connected to your computer. Wireless cards, bluetooth, card readers, kbd/mouse (specify if USB or PS/2).

I had this problem with my home machine for a while as well. It turned out that something I had plugged into my USB port (a Kensington Bluetooth adapter) was causing the issue.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My older dvd/cd drive was freaking out and causing the interrupts. Took it out and haven't seen the problem since. I still don't know why it only happed after a significant amount of time, but it is fixed now. Thanks for the help guys.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..