As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo] announces Taiko No Tatsujin for the switch

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I want to ride a horse.

In Real Life.

I bet I'd fall off and die.

I almost got crushed by a horse once

I don’t recommend it

IKknkhU.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Pfff I can't do this, if I start spitballing ideas for off-the-wall Zelda game concepts I'll be here all day

But I do think that one of the improvements we'll see in the next Zelda title, due for 2020, is that we'll be able to do more things with domestic animals, at least

2020, huh.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    "let me pet a squirrel" is seriously the last thing I think they need to spend time on for the next game

Dogs? Sure. Birds and squirrels? I eat em. Let's move on

Grey Ghost on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Somehow they found time for 1000 utterly pointless collectibles

Let me pet birds instead

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    "let me pet a squirrel" is seriously the last thing I think they need to spend time on for the next game

Eliminate combat. Create a unique system for interacting with each type of animal in the game

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I know how to interact with birds

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    delete literally the entire game to make enough dev time to create girl link

BahamutZERO.gif
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Let me pet birds instead

The korok seed collection was perfect actually

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited March 2018
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Let me pet birds instead

The korok seed collection was perfect actually

I'm an absolutely obsessive item collected and felt it was devoid of any challenge or feeling of accomplishment

And I got every question mark on wither 3

It's bad

Imo

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Shorty wrote: »
    I very much doubt I'll ever want to play skyward sword ever again

I hated it too but MOST of those issues (if not all) would be solved by a motion-control-less version

Sadly, motion controls are tip of the iceberg of problems I had with that game.

It was built from the ground up to make me walk around with my hand being held while suckling on a pacifier.

I had to stop playing before even reaching the first dungeon because the hand holding and relentlessly useless interruptions by Fi pissed me off too much to want to go any further.

It's not often that a game goes out of its way to insult my intelligence as frequently as possible, but god damn that game was determined to do it.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    ...huh.

I mean, Fi has some boneheaded, obvious stuff to say, but I would not have expected there was enough... well, dialogue at all to make someone get that put off by a sense of handholding before even reaching the first dungeon.

Different thresholds, I guess.

I mean, I somehow managed to not really notice the annoyance of Fi's obvious chime-ins until I played the game the second time.

Enlong on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So I played The Long Reach, this newish adventure game that came out on Switch (and I think ps4?) a while back

It’s... I dunno, the most complimentary thing I can think of for it is that it had an interesting weird atmosphere? But it’s weirdly buggy, the dialogue is not great (it feels like they did the Beat Cop thing of ‘more swearing = better dialogue’, though thankfully without any of the bigotry). Plus some of the puzzles are weirdly arcane and require you to just press the A button in the dark until you find the thing you’re looking for.

It’s just... Not good.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    bonk every korok

[img][/img]

that is a three megabyte image

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I intentionally read Fi as being a sarcastic asshole, which went a long way to alleviating the problems with her dialog.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    What I want for the next Zelda game is a more elaborate cooking system

The ability to bulk cook from a list of already discovered recipes would be amazing

No! The beauty of BotW cooking is there are no recipes! Like, in the game there are no recipes, it's all systems driven where each ingredient has it's own properties it contributes to the final meal! It's a relatively simple procedure but all of the meals are procedurally generated.

It would be pretty good to be able to save a certain number of recipes that you like tho

All I wanted was a recipe book. Not "what makes this" but "what have you made"? Gimme a cooking compendium to fill out!

That would be completely counter to the systems based cooking though! Which is what makes the cooking fun! The catalog of possible meals would either be incomplete or unwieldly long and would be an incredibly arduous process for some poor sap at Nintendo to make

because Breath of the Wild does not have a list of recipes, it does not see what ingredients you have and say "yes that equals this meal" it takes the ingredients, puts their effects together, depending on the ingredients it chooses an image and name and whatever adjectives like "Hasty" or "Energizing" that apply

It's procedural, it's systems driven, it's following the same philosophy behind the physics engine where things have weight and therefor push down a button instead of older games where they have specific objects which can push down buttons

It wouldn't be difficult or long at all. Like half the shit I make with meat is the same fuckin' meat dish. Did I include a mushroom, oh it's a Mushroom Skewer now.

I don't need to know which particular combination of things gave me it (although that wouldn't be hard either--the same combination of things will always give you the same result. However the behind the scenes mechanics work, thats still consistency), I just wanna keep a list of unique things I've made. They absolutely care about this because they put a bunch of recipes for unique cooking stuff up all over the place and even had a few sidequests that revolved around making something specific.

I guess I just don't know what this would look like because depending on the ingredients you add it'll have different effects

Like, if you cook a Chillshroom you get a Chilly Mushroom Skewer that restores 1 heart and gives you heat resistance for 2 minutes and 30 seconds

Add a Hylian Shroom and you get a Chilly Mushroom Skewer that restores 2 hearts and gives you heat resistance for 3 minutes

Cook 3 Chillshroom and you get a Chilly Mushroom Skewer that restores 3 hearts and gives you double heat resistance for 7 minutes and 30 seconds

Would those be three separate entries in the cookbook? Different meats will yield the same name but with varying health recovery, would each one be an entry?

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    bonk every korok

[img][/img]

that is a three megabyte image

Whoops. @Chincymcchilla please edit yours.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Nia trying to help Rex's relationship with Pyra is kind of close to Sharla and Shulk, but damn if i don't think it's still a great character beat.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I used to be able to feed real squirrels in my yard. They were tame as hell. One knew how to come up and knock on the door.

It was super cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Radius wrote: »
    Nia trying to help Rex's relationship with Pyra is kind of close to Sharla and Shulk, but damn if i don't think it's still a great character beat.

Didn't Sharla try to help Melia get Shulk?

Which was completely doomed from the start, but they were 2 of the only 3 party members to not know that?

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So what if they kept to the "only one food bonus at a time" rule, but relaxed the idea that each food could only provide one kind of bonus? Like, you could have both a speed and an attack bonus from the last thing you ate, but obviously not both maxed out because they're both fighting for space in the number of ingredients you have available.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sharla also had a couple scenes where she was trying to get Shulk to pay closer attention to Melia's feelings.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Shulk is a JRPG Protagonist, he doesn't know what sex is.

The ability to bulk cook from a list of already discovered recipes would be amazing

No! The beauty of BotW cooking is there are no recipes! Like, in the game there are no recipes, it's all systems driven where each ingredient has it's own properties it contributes to the final meal! It's a relatively simple procedure but all of the meals are procedurally generated.

It would be pretty good to be able to save a certain number of recipes that you like tho

All I wanted was a recipe book. Not "what makes this" but "what have you made"? Gimme a cooking compendium to fill out!

That would be completely counter to the systems based cooking though! Which is what makes the cooking fun! The catalog of possible meals would either be incomplete or unwieldly long and would be an incredibly arduous process for some poor sap at Nintendo to make

because Breath of the Wild does not have a list of recipes, it does not see what ingredients you have and say "yes that equals this meal" it takes the ingredients, puts their effects together, depending on the ingredients it chooses an image and name and whatever adjectives like "Hasty" or "Energizing" that apply

It's procedural, it's systems driven, it's following the same philosophy behind the physics engine where things have weight and therefor push down a button instead of older games where they have specific objects which can push down buttons

It wouldn't be difficult or long at all. Like half the shit I make with meat is the same fuckin' meat dish. Did I include a mushroom, oh it's a Mushroom Skewer now.

I don't need to know which particular combination of things gave me it (although that wouldn't be hard either--the same combination of things will always give you the same result. However the behind the scenes mechanics work, thats still consistency), I just wanna keep a list of unique things I've made. They absolutely care about this because they put a bunch of recipes for unique cooking stuff up all over the place and even had a few sidequests that revolved around making something specific.

I guess I just don't know what this would look like because depending on the ingredients you add it'll have different effects

Like, if you cook a Chillshroom you get a Chilly Mushroom Skewer that restores 1 heart and gives you heat resistance for 2 minutes and 30 seconds

Add a Hylian Shroom and you get a Chilly Mushroom Skewer that restores 2 hearts and gives you heat resistance for 3 minutes

Cook 3 Chillshroom and you get a Chilly Mushroom Skewer that restores 3 hearts and gives you double heat resistance for 7 minutes and 30 seconds

Would those be three separate entries in the cookbook? Different meats will yield the same name but with varying health recovery, would each one be an entry?

I don't care about stats, I care about the food. Those are all Chilly Mushroom Skewers they're the same entry.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

I don't care about stats, I care about the food. Those are all Chilly Mushroom Skewers they're the same entry.

Oooookay, I get you. Sorry, I was incredibly caught up in the stats. I am very much about those food stats.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr

Oooookay, I get you. Sorry, I was incredibly caught up in the stats. I am very much about those food stats.

Oh yeah that whole thing is cool, I just want a little book with pictures of all the different types of meal that unlock the first time I make one. I need the game to acknowledge me and my works, y'know.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, for a game that features Koroks, 100+ shrines, the Hyrule Compendium, and many different suits of armor (each with multiple levels of upgrade and set bonus), it seems fucking weird that I don't have a little checklist to tell me whether I had made all the food dishes yet, like
    Heart Soup or Rice Pudding or Seafood Paella.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I do like how the recipes are on posters around the world.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    I do like how the recipes are on posters around the world.

It took me a while to realize that's what those were too

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Shulk is a JRPG Protagonist, he doesn't know what sex is.

True, but that was probably the least of Melia's obstacles.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Eliminate combat. Create a unique system for interacting with each type of animal in the game

Animal Crossing already exists.

Coulda fooled me given that we haven't gotten a new one in HOW long?

I mean, does it?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    There is a dead man's switch that, so long as it is held down, prevents Animal Crossing from being announced, much less released.

I've been holding down that switch non-stop since E3 of 2014. I know that I'm going to have to let go at some point, but when I do, everything I love is lost to me

dN0T6ur.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Swamp Temple done: the boss was annoying as hell but then the deku princess was rad as fuck and made up for it (but then chasing the butler with the awful 3DS circle pad was hellish and ruined it)

Went around and beat all the mini games I have access to that require a bow and reset time, tonight I head north I guess

2x39jD4.jpg
    Wyborn wrote: »
    There is a dead man's switch that, so long as it is held down, prevents Animal Crossing from being announced, much less released.

I've been holding down that switch non-stop since E3 of 2014. I know that I'm going to have to let go at some point, but when I do, everything I love is lost to me

You monster

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    When they announce Animal Crossing Switch, all of those amiibo are gonna jump from $0.75 to $75

Just like Playstation Move controllers and PSVR

Make every amiibo compatible with AC Switch.

Let me populate my town with Solaire, Callie and Marie, and Lucina.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

A couple months ago?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

A couple months ago?

A mobile game is not a new main series entry, which is what i meant

New leaf is the last real animal crossing game

This discussion has been closed.