Options

Welcome! Everything is fine. [The Good Place][OPEN SPOILERS]

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I'd really like to see Sean go in a general sense because I don't like him much as a character. He's had a few good moments but otherwise I'm not sure he adds much.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don't like any of the times where they feel the need to subvert Marc Evan Jackson's whole thing

like that texting bit from last episode felt like throwing away the character's integrity just for a small gag

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Shawn is weird

He was introduced as an impartial judge who goes into a cocoon at emotions

That's... wrong? That's not what he is at all, he's a demon manager

It just bothers me when the rest of the show is so consistent

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shawn is weird

? That was a lie they told the humans,
    I don't ... I don't get why that's an inconsistency, he's always been a demon, we just didn't know that until the end of s1

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I understand. He was playing a part, same as Vicky and Michael

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Shawn is weird

? That was a lie they told the humans,
    I don't ... I don't get why that's an inconsistency, he's always been a demon, we just didn't know that until the end of s1

I'll be honest, I didn't catch that that was part of the lie, I must have just missed it

That makes more sense

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The person Sean was introduced as being still has not appeared on the show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The only element of his guise that has been ported over, besides his appearance, is his special cocoon power (like how he trapped Vicky in one).

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The only element of his guise that has been ported over, besides his appearance, is his special cocoon power (like how he trapped Vicky in one).

Well, also his role in the story is still that he has power over Michael and scares him

Which makes sense, lies being more believable when they’re closer to the truth and all

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    poor Jason

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2018
    YaYa wrote: »
    poor Jason

I dunno, the molotov cocktail moment they gave him was one of the most beautiful payoffs I've seen in a long time.

ceres on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    poor Jason

I dunno, the molotov cocktail moment they gave him was one of the most beautiful payoffs I've seen in a long time.
    Jacksonville is not going to the Super Bowl, I think is what's being implied here.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

Well, also his role in the story is still that he has power over Michael and scares him

Which makes sense, lies being more believable when they’re closer to the truth and all

There's been surprisingly little that's been an outright lie, since the beginning of the series.

Much of what Michael said about himself in season 1 turned out to be true. He IS an architect, this IS his first neighborhood, architects often DON'T live in the neighborhoods they create, and he DOES need it to go well, or he'll face retirement, which seems to be exactly what he said it was. He's just a Bad Place architect, instead of a Good Place one.

There IS a judge whos job it is to mediate who gets to go to the Good Place or Bad Place. He's just not the guy who showed up.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Janet does have that self-defense protocol... the one that makes her emotionally beg for her life with fake children. If she's with Michael and Michael is legitimately threatened she could pop out and do... something. Whatever she's now evolved enough to do.

That would be a pretty great call-back if she starts trying to guilt-trip the demons.

• Options
    Janet does have that self-defense protocol... the one that makes her emotionally beg for her life with fake children. If she's with Michael and Michael is legitimately threatened she could pop out and do... something. Whatever she's now evolved enough to do.

That would be a pretty great call-back if she starts trying to guilt-trip the demons.

Probably would not work, but might give them enough pause for something to come along. Also I don't know anything about football teams so any joke reliant on said knowledge is going to catapult itself right over my head.

I seriously have no idea when I last said to myself (or anyone else within earshot) "I need it to be next Thursday night right now." Shipping Eleanor and Michael in my head, I don't think I've really "shipped" anyone in like... good lord 17 years, wtf, time? I feel like I should be sitting in a nightshirt at my friend's house listening to Tori Amos and Rancid while we giggle about Mulder and Scully. ...lol, jk. I could never get my friends to listen to that stuff with me.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here read Terry Pratchett's FaustEric? Chidi's suggestion could have been lifted directly from that book.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    until recently I had no idea Jason yelling BORTLES was someone's name and I thought Jason was just too stupid to know how to say BOTTLES

which honestly doesn't really make sense either but I mean, Jason

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Janet has some kind of offensive ability or they wouldn't have a reboot button in case she goes nuts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    cabsy wrote: »
    until recently I had no idea Jason yelling BORTLES was someone's name and I thought Jason was just too stupid to know how to say BOTTLES

I think you have this in common with Jameela Jamil

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

Probably would not work, but might give them enough pause for something to come along.

Oh, it definitely wouldn't work, I just meant as a joke.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »

I think you have this in common with Jameela Jamil

This is a good post.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Since living in the US for 9 years I’ve lost the ability to distinguish between certain US and English accents.

Most of the time I can tell Tahani’s accent is English because it’s a somewhat exaggerated/uncommon English accent but when she was switching between accents this episode I couldn’t tell when she was putting on a US accent vs an English accent.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pass the Nascar ketchup

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Nearly two seasons in, and every character has made significant progress except Chidi.

• Options
    Most shocking development from this episode: Marc Evan Jackson does not have a good evil laugh

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Chidi's test was one of the best character-based jokes I've seen in ages. I laughed for like a minute straight

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love that I have no fucking clue where each episode is going.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I lost it at "but was it the right hat?"

The way he leaned in and asked was comedic perfection

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

My assumption for the end of the season:
    They get a new place, to be used to reform people and prepare them for the real Good Place. Eleanor and Michael are put in charge.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

They get a new place, to be used to reform people and prepare them for the real Good Place. Eleanor and Michael are put in charge.

It will be a long fun road to get there, but I don't see how this show ends any other way besides inventing purgatory.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Thro wrote: »

It will be a long fun road to get there, but I don't see how this show ends any other way besides inventing purgatory.
    Yeah I feel like Michael’s gonna pitch making a purgatory soul rehab for redeemable souls and that he will be the architect and the gang will be the teachers/guides.

But then again so far nearly nothing has been predictable so who knows.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Michael's explanation about his failure is touching
    He finally gets it even if he doesn't quite understand it. Even the "worst" people will help each other at the cost of themselves.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I would legit say that Michael's development as a character is in the top 3 ever in a TV show.

• Options

I think it's definitely heading there, not sure when. Could be next, could be the final story arc or season or even episode

If it's NOT that, my second guess for what's next is:

Michael stressed that you can only get to the Good Place by being a good person on Earth, so maybe the judge will sentence them to Earth

Maybe as ghosts, maybe some kind of time travel thing where they get a second chance at their last few days or last year or something

Michael and Janet have to learn to live as humans

I do feel like they've fleshed out too many Earth-bound characters (Eleanor's boyfriend and mom, Kamila, Pillboy) to not have the gang meet them again after all they've learned, and while some (or all, depending on how much time has passed) of them could show up in the afterlife, Michael's statement about Earth felt important

My third guess is that they lead a revolution against the entire Good/Bad Place system, since it's so unforgiving and the show seems to know that, as much as it also knows that its characters were not initially good people

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Nearly two seasons in, and every character has made significant progress except Chidi.

Which makes sense, he's been so focused on improving everyone else that he neglected his own betterment.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    “I even ate a Cheeto! Chewing it was deafening, but it was the happiest I’ve ever been.”

• Options
    Janet passing off as Bad Janet was such a triumphant moment. I'm also glad Tahani got to confront her parents in a roundabout way, that felt like a watershed moment for her.

Also: "You spent 86 minutes deciding on a hat!"

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    depending on how much time has passed

Michael Schur gave an interview that touched on this at the beginning of season 2.
    About how much time passed in season one before Michael wiped everyone’s memories? And given that only a week had passed in Version 802, how different are these versions of the characters from the ones we got to know last season? Should we assume that there is no Eleanor/Chidi/Tahani love triangle at the moment, for instance?

We figured that the events of S1 took somewhere around four months of “time.” (Michael then reboots them 801 more times, the longest lasting 11 months and the shortest being 8 seconds…we calculated that the median length was probably in that 4-month range, so the total length of all of the reboots is somewhere around 250-300 years.) The important thing is that the humans completely refresh with every reboot, so there is no residual feeling of “I know you from somewhere…” In this latest version, #802, they’ve only known each other for a week, so they’re around maybe where they were in episode four of last year. You can assume that their relationships and dynamics are roughly where they were in the episode where Eleanor first spent a day with Tahani, and stole her diary. (Of course, now Eleanor also has some very advanced information about how things have played out with her and Chidi in other reboots, as well.)

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Right, what I mean is whether 300 years have passed on Earth or not

• Options
    Right, what I mean is whether 300 years have passed on Earth or not

I kind of get the sense that a lot of time hasn't passed on Earth if only because of all of the pop culture references by the divine beings.

It isn't too absurd for the after-life to move/operate at a far different time than Earth.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I could see a quantum leap scenario. They are all sent to earth in the shape of other people to show how they’ve changed. We and they see each other as themselves.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork