As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOTY 2017 - Nomination and eligibility thread - Nominations closed

13»

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I added some games to the list
    • Arena of Valor (Mobile)
    • Card Thief (Mobile)
    • Mr. Shifty (NS, PC)
    • Terra Battle 2 (Mobile)
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'd like to throw in my support for getting Specter of Torment on there, since it's definitely on my list and has completely different level layouts, game structure, and mechanics compared to the other two Shovel Knight games

That and, well, you can buy it independently of any other Shovel Knight game. It's sold separately! It's super a separate game. C'mon. C'mooooooooon.

Yeah. I can see where the people who say Plague of Shadows had similar levels to Shovel Knight are coming from, but Specter of Torment is basically a completely different experience. Yacht Club really put a ton of work into it; it's much more than a character swap. It plays like the Mega Man X to Shovel Knight's Mega Man.
    Spoit wrote: »
    Is "Blaster Master Zero (NS, 3DS)" a new release this year?

Yes; it launched with the Switch in March. The 3DS version followed a few weeks later. It's inspired by, but pretty different from the original NES game. It counts.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Last couple of days, I'll be tidying the spreadsheet and making sure all suggestions are included, and all exclusions... excluded on Sunday.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Frem wrote: »

Yeah. I can see where the people who say Plague of Shadows had similar levels to Shovel Knight are coming from, but Specter of Torment is basically a completely different experience. Yacht Club really put a ton of work into it; it's much more than a character swap. It plays like the Mega Man X to Shovel Knight's Mega Man.

Yeah that kind of makes sense. And the fact that you can buy it separately makes it feel less like an expansion pack or DLC. I should really finish it.

Did that King Knight game ever come out?

Pooch on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    King Knight is supposed to come out this year

I anticipate we'll be having this conversation again in 2019

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    King Knight is supposed to come out this year

I anticipate we'll be having this conversation again in 2019

King knight’s game will include a card game. It should qualify on that alone.

• Options
    Busy weekend, I'll wrap this up tomorrow and we'll move on to the more exciting voting stage :)

• Options
    Last minute: adding Morphite and TumbleSeed to the Google doc.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    @Mr_Grinch
    A few last last final last minute changes after going through the thread one last time:
    Yakuza Kiwami - I think it should come off. I removed it. I'd have to hear a pretty strong argument about it being more than a remake.
    Pictopix - Released on Itch and Kongregate in 2016 (and Steam in 2017), but it didn't make the 2016 list, so I'd keep it.
    Fortnite - I've waffled on this one, but I'm leaning back toward leaving it off (along with other questionable EA titles like Dead Cells)
    Full Throttle Remastered - Just a remaster, removed. I think we discussed removing it, but nobody ever did.
    Doom VFR - Nobody added this on after we all kinda agreed to keep it.
    LA Noire VR Case Files - From what I've heard this is just select missions from the main game, but not all of them. Left it off.
    Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - This one is a mess... I just don't think it makes it. The main game here is just a Dream Drop Distance remaster, and then there's a "new, short episode taking place after the events of the original Birth by Sleep" and a cinematic chapter in that universe. I'm going to remove it.
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - Similarly for this, I don't think Minion Quest makes this a new game. This is about the only thing I could find on that point: "Don't be confused, it is NOT its own game, it is a game mode, and one of the two major game modes, in the remake of Superstar Saga." Removed.
    Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon - These are just upgraded version of Sun and Moon, deleted.
    Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World - From what I understand, Poochy just adds a "mellow mode" and otherwise is a port. Removed.
    I Expect You To Die - On 2016 list (nobody had added it to 2017, but I just wanted to mention it).
    Cat Quest - I thought I had already added this. I may not vote for it, but it is a game that I played.
    Bridge Constructor Portal - Came out late in the year, added.
    Minecraft: Story Mode Season Two - All episodes hit in 2017. The platforms for this are a mess on Wikipedia, so I just put the major platforms down.
    .hack//G.U. Last Recode - From what I can tell this is a re-release of the trilogy or whatever. I'm going to remove it. It has a "fourth" episode, but here is a SiliconEra article: ".hack//G.U. Last Recode’s Vol.4//Reconnection should not really be described as a full game. Had this trilogy originally come out on the PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4, instead of the PlayStation 2 as it did, this would be more of an add-on."

• Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    Looking at the list one last time.
    Removed Bendy and the Ink Machine. It has five episodes planned and only three are out now. I removed this before.
    Added the PS4 release for Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion.
    Removed The Silver Case. Came out on PC in 2016.
    Removed Tiny Barbarian DX. Another one that I had already removed. This came out on PC in 2013.
    Added Shadowhand.
    Added Match Land

• Options
    Is Solitarica allowed on? I think we missed it last year and it was only on Apple phones at the time. Now it's on PC and Androids. Probably one of my most played games this year.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Just checked and DOOM VFR is on the list.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

Just checked and DOOM VFR is on the list.
    Yeah... I added it. I see now that I didn't explicitly say that I added it.

• Options
    Ok, nominations closed. Just sorting through the list (actually I've just finished Uncharted: Lost Legacy, but I'll be doing it soon).

• Options
    Also thanks for everyone picking up the slack. New job and four year old meant keeping an eye on this thread has been difficult! I'll get the list over to @Infidel now and post up the voting thread shortly (or he will!)

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Favorite part of the year. Made a big push to play more (hoping I can get wolf 2 under the belt before voting closes) just to vote more informed.

Massive massive thanks to everyone who makes this happen every year!!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I actually played games that came out this year!

• Options
    sergiocornagasergiocornaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Orivon wrote: »
    Removed Bendy and the Ink Machine. It has five episodes planned and only three are out now. I removed this before.
    I added this one because I wasn't sure how many future instalments were planned, and I kinda figured people might care about it now but would probably have forgotten it next year. That was pretty presumptuous of me, good call taking it off.
    Orivon wrote: »
    Tiny Barbarian DX. Another one that I had already removed. This came out on PC in 2013.
    This is actually another case of an episodic game finally seeing completion in 2017. It was never available in full before, and it should probably be added back to the list if it's not too late.

EDIT: Also, just in case… if the ludicrously long-titled "Near My Sins // Awaken Thy Blood [newline] or, Never Feel Pain X274 Captured Beast Banana Chalice (_FROGDIRECTION360 rancheros dream SHAREWARE VISION) Everlastic Legacy of Jazz" breaks the poll, its unofficial shorter title is just "Banana Chalice" and I figure anyone who's played it will probably recognise it by that name too.

sergiocornaga on
  • Options
    Yeah when I sent the message over to infidel I suggested he might need to change that one :smile:

I'll get this thread closed up shortly in advance of the voting one.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Some delays as I had to update the old code, host has migrated to PHP 7 and the old code use the mysql_ drivers instead of mysqli_ D:

Looks sorted now so I am processing the list and preparing the launch, stay tuned~

OrokosPA.png
  • Options