As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I do love aquariums

and zoos, but aquariums are cooler (HA)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I do love aquariums

I always feel like zoos get to be a bit samey because of how common they are in comparison to aquariums

but like, animals are cool, so they're still fun to visit

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    oo a natural history museum

those are always cool

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    aquarium for sure

I can't decide! They're both so fun. Debating on whether I should bring a sketchbook for drawin' or if I should just wander about and take pictars.

Well, tell us which city's amenities are on the table so we can decide for you, obviously.

Houston!

Houston’s zoo is very good!

The only aquarium I know is the downtown aquarium that is actually also a restaurant owned by Landry’s and I’ve never been able to overcome that and go there.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Are you going to a zoo??

Hilariously, I just accepted the offer to stay an extra day because I may want to visit a zoo.

Or a museum/aquarium/etc.

So YES MAYBE!

ooh, have a lovely time!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I do love aquariums

This post seems pretty fishy to me

• Options
    judging by some of the reviews of the aquarium I'd say zoo is for sure the better target

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    aquarium for sure

I can't decide! They're both so fun. Debating on whether I should bring a sketchbook for drawin' or if I should just wander about and take pictars.

Well, tell us which city's amenities are on the table so we can decide for you, obviously.

Houston!

The only aquarium I know is the downtown aquarium that is actually also a restaurant owned by Landry’s and I’ve never been able to overcome that and go there.

Aha, oh wow, okay. Also I just looked it up and it seems it's kinda a disappointing place to visit?

Zoo it is!

• Options
    aquarium for sure

Houston!

Aha, oh wow, okay. Also I just looked it up and it seems it's kinda a disappointing place to visit?

Zoo it is!

on the plus side it looks like the houston zoo has an aquarium itself

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I've been spoiled by having Monterey Bay Aquarium as our nearest aquarium.

• Options
    Also gonna second the people saying to check out the museums too. The fine arts museum and the natural science museum here are both right by the zoo, and there’s also the Menil Collection nearby too.

• Options
    sounds like you need to stay an extra week ND

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oh hey that reminds me, Austin people, I'm there next week for a conference, anything I def need to eat or drink? I'll be in the heart of downtown I think? Around the hyatt regency anyway. I won't have a tonnnn of time to go do stuff, but suggestions are always welcome!

• Options
    I visited Atlanta's aquarium once - it was pretty cool! They were the largest aquarium in the world when I visited (before 2012), and I saw a WHALE SHARK (apparently the only place that houses them outside of Asia) and a manta ray that was the first to be exhibited in the country (and is only one of four sites in the world displaying them!) /wikipedia

I remember they had a diver or two in their largest tank where the ray was, and they had employees placed at various points in the museum with view of the tank, and they'd radio each other to make sure the diver knew where the ray was. SCARY but also very very cool!

Animals are pretty rad you guys

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I've been spoiled by having Monterey Bay Aquarium as our nearest aquarium.

When you move up here, you & Mori have to take the kids to the Seattle aquarium! Sea and river otters!

Weaver on
  • Options
    Also gonna second the people saying to check out the museums too. The fine arts museum and the natural science museum here are both right by the zoo, and there’s also the Menil Collection nearby too.

Oh, the Menil Collection looks like a really cool place - similar in some ways to the Isabella Gardner Museum in Boston (which is SUPER RAD and anybody who comes to Boston should try to check it out if they can)....looks like the Menil is closing for a long renovation right before I arrive though.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I visited Atlanta's aquarium once - it was pretty cool! They were the largest aquarium in the world when I visited (before 2012), and I saw a WHALE SHARK (apparently the only place that houses them outside of Asia) and a manta ray that was the first to be exhibited in the country (and is only one of four sites in the world displaying them!) /wikipedia

I remember they had a diver or two in their largest tank where the ray was, and they had employees placed at various points in the museum with view of the tank, and they'd radio each other to make sure the diver knew where the ray was. SCARY but also very very cool!

I missed out on Atlanta's, but Boston's used to be pretty excellent when I was in college and probably still is.

New Orleans has a kind of small one, but if you enjoy interpretive presentations and billboards for some reason, it's very informative on the subject of things like "How Swamps Work." As a guy who actually does like that, I've enjoyed it both times I was there.

• Options
    If you got any Houston questions just lemme know.

It’s a really great city once you get past all the dumb traffic and lack of public transport.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The building just shook from an explosive noise, the windows rattling in their frames. Everyone started looking around for the source, except two of us who lived in the area and recognized the noise without reacting at all because we've become inured to them.

You see, being so close to Edwards Air Force base we are often witness to things like Blue Angel practices before air shows, random jets, and sonic booms. Lots of sonic booms.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Sounds like where I used to live, except rather than sonic booms it was heavy machine gun fire, low flying Sea Kings/Merlins and the weekly air raid/radiological alarm siren test. Living near to a naval base that did refits of frigates & submarine maintenance, and next to a large Marine barracks on the other side was pretty entertaining. Always fun to see some dude who turned up to do the boiler service go wide eyed and start looking around while we were all "Oh yeah it's 11am on a Thursday, don't worry about it"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    This thread has just reaffirmed that I need to actually go sightseeing when I visit my family and shit.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    This thread has just reaffirmed that I need to actually go sightseeing when I visit my family and shit.

Always be a tourist. Even where you live occasionally.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

you can swim with the whale sharks at the Atlanta aquarium for like $200.. it's been a dream of mine for years and years. and they do like, sleepover parties for adults sometimes. I know a lot about it for an aquarium I've never been to!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I do love aquariums

Are you suggesting you might be some sort of expert on aquatic life?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I do love aquariums

This seems like a really weird post to just come out of nowhere.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I do love aquariums

This seems like a really weird post to just come out of nowhere.

I'm just wondering why a Normal Human Father might be so knowledgeable about things that live in the ocean...

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The office move we're doing kinda sucks for a variety of reasons, but hey, I get to have a 27" second monitor at home until Monday!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It supposed to snow again tonight and then again in the afternoon tomorrow meaning my commute will be fucked both ways. I am sick of this god damn snow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I am currently in a text conversation with someone. I don’t know who it is but they are clearly a teacher at my school. I am too embarrassed to ask who it is and they just wanted to get on the ebook catalog anyway so I’m just rolling with it.

They seem nice.

Edit. Might be an English teacher. They have very good grammar.

Wait shit. I think I know who it is!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited February 2018
    So guys, I'm looking at salary comparisons in the case of getting an offer...and a salary calculator is telling me that $xx,xxx in Boston is equivalent to ($xx,xxx minus $25,000) in Houston.

While I get that it's a much cheaper place to live down there, my brain is having a very very hard time accepting this dollar amount as fact. Has anybody here had to take what seemed like a significant pay cut when moving to a lower-cost area, but maintained the same (or better) standard of living? I'm horrified at the numbers here, and it's hard for me to believe that a hypothetical pay cut of this magnitude could be okay.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Technically when I moved to the UK, it was a lot lower salary than I would have accepted anywhere else? But that was a gig I was really excited to take, so there were mitigating circumstances.

• Options
    I can't imagine Houston is $25,000 cheaper than Boston, it's still a very large city isn't it?

• Options
    Is Houston actually that much cheaper, though? I thought it was one of the fastest growing cities in the country?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is Houston actually that much cheaper, though? I thought it was one of the fastest growing cities in the country?

it's hard to get a real comparison, but things like rent, state taxes, petrol taxes etc can make a big difference.

• Options
    I can't imagine Houston is $25,000 cheaper than Boston, it's still a very large city isn't it?

Yeah I know! It seems crazy. Maybe I'll look at some other estimations? I expected maybe half of that. Housing seems to be the main cost that's way, waaaay cheaper...it would be like $250-500 less per month for me.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

it's hard to get a real comparison, but things like rent, state taxes, petrol taxes etc can make a big difference.

Also oh shit, I keep forgetting TX has no state income tax. That also adds some dollars.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I finally quit my job. My tax return will float me for about two months. I don't plan on being jobless for even close to that long. Too much debt.

I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what I can do that will make me happy and I'm drawing a lot of blanks.

I keep wanting to try making videos as a career, YouTube stuff and such but I keep finding excuses for not even trying it. One excuse that is very much reasonable though is that kind of thing is incredibly difficult to even get going.

I've considered working for a bank since the credit card company I work for is also a bank do maybe just a different one now but not in collections.

I got a lot of job applications to work on and a lot of searching for something that I'm passionate about.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Looks like rent is comparable to syracuse, so expect $900-1200 for a 1 bedroom in the heart of houston.

25k is a hella of a chunk of change though... but maybe they won't actually give you a paycut at all and maybe even a pay raise. But even 500 a month isn't going to make a dent if it is a big cut... not like everything else will be that much cheaper. Though no state income tax, so that's a plus (shitty state benefits so that's a minus).

And MUCH less snow.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    uhhh I am so tired I don't think I have the energy to get out of this chair
    I did both the water {basically it's nothing but Gatorade, various bulk and gallons of water, 2l's and those powered drink flavors. I flew though this sadly I got shanghi'd to help pull pallets of soil of 18 pallets I pulled 6 out of 5 people how was this fair?
    Then I had to help in pets so I did 3 pallets by myself before they sent me home

On my walk home a skunk jumped out of the bushes but did not spray me it did scare me and make me really jumpy for the rest of the walk

But yes I am quite tired yet wide awake

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I don’t know, ND, but I reckon you tell the Houston folks you’ve been making your current salary +$25,000, and you’re unwilling to take a pay cut to move, just to be safe.

This discussion has been closed.