As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Though material cost depends on how much you want to put into it - For plywood or construction lumber, yeah, it'll be pretty cheap. If you don't care much for the looks or totally dig the plywood look, then you can definitely make something that looks decent for minimal cost.

(this is in my experience anyway, S4S lumber for decent hardwood is not cheap here)

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    I wish my job from almost 3 years ago had not boned me on the two weeks notice thing. I would really like to work at the create shop at the Arizona Science Center though I actually don't know if it is still doing awful or not. That science center has the absolute worst fucking advertising.

How does that 3 year old job effect a potential new one?

The create shop is part of the science center so because they won't rehire me at the science center because of the screw up they also won't hire me at the create shop.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Solar wrote: »
    Fun bit of research came around work today, which is relevant for UK peoples

If you are 25 years old, on an average salary for the rest of your life, in order to save up for a retirement income of about 20K, you need to be putting a (revised by this research) figure of 16% of your salary into your pot each month, for the rest of your working life That's if you start at 25, and want 20K when you retire 65. If you wait until you're 35, you need to put in 24% for the rest of your life.

Of course, this is to get an income of 20K. Which if you're renting in a lot of the country is basically like, you'll scrape along just about, hopefully, but it's not a lot. It's considerably less than the national average income, and it includes the state pension btw, you've actually only saved enough for about 12K yourself. You want to be buying a house and paying it off by retirement if you want to live comfortably on that.

Incredibly depressing, really.

Is that including national insurance?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I went by work to grab my car, called the elevator to the parking garage. Doors open, this pigeon is just standing there.

I hope he registered his parking stall.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Fun bit of research came around work today, which is relevant for UK peoples

If you are 25 years old, on an average salary for the rest of your life, in order to save up for a retirement income of about 20K, you need to be putting a (revised by this research) figure of 16% of your salary into your pot each month, for the rest of your working life That's if you start at 25, and want 20K when you retire 65. If you wait until you're 35, you need to put in 24% for the rest of your life.

Of course, this is to get an income of 20K. Which if you're renting in a lot of the country is basically like, you'll scrape along just about, hopefully, but it's not a lot. It's considerably less than the national average income, and it includes the state pension btw, you've actually only saved enough for about 12K yourself. You want to be buying a house and paying it off by retirement if you want to live comfortably on that.

Incredibly depressing, really.

Is that including national insurance?

You need to be saving 16% on top of National Insurance to get the part of that 20K which will be made up of your occupation/personal pensions, so no. It's in addition to.

Although, you don't pay tax or NI contributions on that, which is tiny consolation I suppose.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Looks like rent is comparable to syracuse, so expect $900-1200 for a 1 bedroom in the heart of houston.

25k is a hella of a chunk of change though... but maybe they won't actually give you a paycut at all and maybe even a pay raise. But even 500 a month isn't going to make a dent if it is a big cut... not like everything else will be that much cheaper. Though no state income tax, so that's a plus (shitty state benefits so that's a minus).

And MUCH less snow.

Isn't gas way cheaper down there? I seem to recall Nightdragon is a city dweller though so they might not maintain a car.

Which may be less viable in Houston.

She does unless she sold it after that H/A thread. $0.40 difference isn't going to make a sizeable gap unless she drives 2 hours a day.

Just gonna point out that it's Houston

She's probably gonna drive two hours a day

That sounds a wee bit sardonic. I doubt it's that bad, or significantly worse than the North Eastern cities.

I can tell you firsthand that the traffic in Houston is just as heavy as anything on the eastern seaboard. The major difference is the poor standard of public transit system compared to a town like Boston or even Dallas.

So probably not a 2 hour commute then :-P

...yeah my commute would likely be 5-30 minutes each way, based on what I'm guessing I could afford on a supposed salary. I'm not going to need to be driving crazy distances away from the office - there's a LOT of housing available around that area. I'll be fine.

Also in Boston, my commute was generally 25-45 minutes each way by car. Public transportation would've taken me 2+ hours each way. Public transportation is only great for commuting if you live and work near it. ;)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Secret job confessions thread: I changed my outfit at lunch today because I got mustard and ketchup all down my front. So far nobody has noticed how I went from one plaid shirt to a different plaid shirt.

Although if they think they’ve noticed it, they probably think they’re going nuts. Haha

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    5 minute commute, yes please, where do I sign up?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm really trying hard to find a new job that isn't 20 miles away. I hate driving in traffic.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular

I've been warned against having a commute that's too short before - I know some people who've done that and they felt like there was never any true "work vs home" separation, which I can totally understand.

Still, convenient! And more time for the sleeps!

• Options

I've been warned against having a commute that's too short before - I know some people who've done that and they felt like there was never any true "work vs home" separation, which I can totally understand.

The most important part.

I have no idea how people can't separate work and home, I mentally check out of work as soon as my computer is locked and I'm standing up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

I used to work at a place so close to my old house it took me longer to walk in from the parking lot and take the the elevator to my floor than it did to drive there. It was heaven.

Now my current home and new job are 45 minutes apart. I do get to live in the country which is very nice, but sacrificing almost 400 hours to a commute each year is rough. I listen to a lot of podcasts.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

The most important part.

I have no idea how people can't separate work and home, I mentally check out of work as soon as my computer is locked and I'm standing up.

The only reason I don't live closer to work is because I don't want the deviants I ban from the library to see where I live. Otherwise, walking distance would be the dream.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    When im super stressed from work i do enjoy that my commute let's me unwind a bit before getting home and interacting with my wife. Im usually in a far better mood than if I had just stepped from work to home.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Though material cost depends on how much you want to put into it - For plywood or construction lumber, yeah, it'll be pretty cheap. If you don't care much for the looks or totally dig the plywood look, then you can definitely make something that looks decent for minimal cost.

(this is in my experience anyway, S4S lumber for decent hardwood is not cheap here)

I can pull a sheet of ACX with a grade B face for $35, grade A is around $40-45 53 (!) last I checked, two good faces adds about 25%. I was kind of figuring on a 24"x36"x18" five sided box out of 1/2" ply with only the back panel inset. Building the plexi door could be done a ton of different ways, I'd just bolt it all together, but I like to drill things.

Here's a nest I just threw together. I think it's right, but I'd double check my work here, it was done quickly.
    6ghw7cr4jzcf.jpg

If this meets spec, there's enough left on the sheet to make the door. Just gotta figure out how to hinge it. You can take a nest diagram like this to a lumber supplier and they'll be able to cut the pieces for a nominal charge. A place like Home Depot will only do the cross cuts for you. Kerfs not accounted for here, it's usually just 1/8" and this project probably has an 1/8" tolerance.

I realized you might want some shelves:
    axked3gi6gyw.jpg

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

The most important part.

Probably depends on your work, but when I've lived close to my workplace I had a hard time not eg. coming home for dinner then going back to work, or having a great idea at 2am and just popping in, etc

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

The most important part.

Probably depends on your work, but when I've lived close to my workplace I had a hard time not eg. coming home for dinner then going back to work, or having a great idea at 2am and just popping in, etc

Workaholic!

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    oh yeah that's right you were from Rochester weren't you cabsy?

How do you like the weather so far?

hilariously San Antonio has been trying its very best to remind me of Rochester this week - ~45 degree days of just-barely-present continuous drizzle and overcast. other than that I'm enjoying this thing called "sunshine" pretty frequently, you should give it a try sometime!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    There were a few pics that refused to upload but I don't feel like digging through all the various file IDs to figure out which ones they were, so,

Here is the album of my vacation to the edge of the lower 48, The Olympic Peninsula.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I live within 5 minutes of work, but I'm lucky in that I have complete work/life separation. I can't just "pop in". I don't have to worry about getting called at home about shit unless its to e.g cover someone calling in sick, but I would get those calls regardless of where I live.

Its great not having to take a major highway anymore. My old commute was 20 minutes with no traffic; up to an hour with traffic.

I could totally see the issue with some types of jobs though where you could literally work all the time if able.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

The most important part.

I live about 35 minutes from work, but almost never deal with traffic. It's great to put on a podcast or the radio and relax. And not being able to telecommute is great. If I work from home I probably go to jail!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So.....
    The manager I almost got fired is now my boss again and you can hear the disquiet in his voice when I was in the room with him
    It's so nice to be immune from him and another as if I don't mess up there is nothing you can do without costing you and a bunch of others their job as well
    I am truly in hell

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

I had a 5 minute walk commute in Providence

It was awesome.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    One of my classmates in the year below is being That Guy who brings his guitar in before studio tutorials and plays it while painfully waiting for someone to comment on his playing. There's only so much white noise my earphone can block out. Maybe I'm the obnoxious one for hating it. Who knows, maybe I've become The Man.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    One of my classmates in the year below is being That Guy who brings his guitar in before studio tutorials and plays it while painfully waiting for someone to comment on his playing. There's only so much white noise my earphone can block out. Maybe I'm the obnoxious one for hating it. Who knows, maybe I've become The Man.

That seems worthy of an ASBO

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The Good Guy with a Guitar is a myth. I've never seen or heard it and I don't believe anyone who claims they have.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Was out doing reed cutting this morning. Doesn't sound so bad right? It's just cutting grass. Except this is Africa so the grass is made of razor blades. And you have to physically immerse yourself in the reeds in order to reach the bases to cut them, so it's like you've been swallowed by a razor blade monster and are trying to fight your way back out.

Now I'm covered in red welts from a billion tiny paper cuts and pinpricks and they sting like crazy so I feel like I've been rolling in stinging nettles AND I got covered in pepper ticks and basically reeds can go to hell.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

He sounds like a fucking weapon

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    What a TOTP

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The Good Guy with a Guitar is a myth. I've never seen or heard it and I don't believe anyone who claims they have.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a guitar is a good guy with a drum set.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    god no

• Options
    Add more instruments, I see, I see...

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That's how you end up in a ska band

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's how you end up in a ska band

You just have to go bigger. The world won't be save from lone wolf musicians unless everyone is part of a synphonic orchestra.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Add more instruments, I see, I see...

What you do is bring an instrument of your own, something as incompatible with a guitar as you can manage, and insist that you two jam together. Just wail away on whatever noisemaker you’ve brought and maybe it’ll make him realize that playing unwanted music is a bad idea.

• Options

Nah, people who bring their musical instruments around with them in their day to day looking for praise or other things are obnoxious on some level.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I really, really want to call out today but I've been late twice this month and I don't want to look even worse than I already do

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Guitar wankerism is easily counteracted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBcLarzg1Pg

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    @Liiya

I suggest getting yourself a glockenspiel.

Or a bass...xylophone.

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »
    @Liiya

I suggest getting yourself a glockenspiel.

Or a bass...xylophone.

I will unseat his throne of obnoxiousness.

This discussion has been closed.