As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] [new Ahri skin to fund the year] / [cervitaur dating sim activated]

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Another blind pick, another game with two people arguing about who the real jungler was. Thankfully the other team decided on a bold new strategy of 3 top (Darius, Nasus, Gnar) to outrace us to the bottom. I played top (Garen) and started with Doran's to help with the poke and working towards Dead Man's Plate for my first item. And despite not receiving any help from either jungler I managed to hold my own at 2/2/0. They surrendered at the 15m mark (is that the earliest you can?) when our unopposed mid (Ahri) had a 4 level lead and 3.5 k gold advantage and just started deleting people.

Despite the overwhelming amount of Champions and items, and the steep learning curve, I really dig how precise the game's balance is. It's so complex, but things seem to work like a machine with precision interlocking parts. I just wish it wasn't so much of a grind to get started.

Remember you can always level your account by playing Co-Op vs AI games if you just can't stand interacting with low-level Blind Pick. It is probably more helpful to your development as a player to play the blind pick games, but Co-Op vs AI will make you better at cs and provide a reprieve from MID OR FEED (or I guess in your games, JG OR AFK--how odd; is jungle really that popular...?)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Jungling has swung wildly in popularity over time. In ancient days when jungling was still in its early days of entering the pub meta, NOBODY wanted to do it. (And nobody wanted to play tanks in the duo lane either, which led to me being able to play nothing but Rammus for months on end until I snapped and swore to never pick him again). Then it became really popular for a while. Then eventually I think top superceded it and it wound up in the middle of the pack.

I have no idea about the last few years, since blink pick ultimately became marginalized enough that the popularity contest stopped being so visible.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    TBH, I don't really mind. I won't say that I'm tiltproof, but I can enjoy laughing at irony and my own terrible plays. What sours me on a game is when I feel like I can't or couldn't do anything to swing it, and I think that's going to translate into not playing support very often. I don't mind it, in fact I think I prefer it, when I know and trust my ADC, but I just hate it when I'm ready to make some plays and no one else is. It reminds me of when I played Holy Paladin in WoW in Cataclysm: I couldn't die, and I wouldn't let anyone die around me, but I couldn't kill anyone or push any objectives on my own. I know that there are options for supports that aren't tanks, but I don't really know how that works.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I was reading a post (maybe by Riot?) about what percentage of people play what roles, and it varies a lot depending on what rank.

At low ranks, Mid is the most popular, followed by ADC, with Top in third. I forget whether Jungle or Support was 4th, but they were pretty close.

At the top of the ladder, Mid is still the most popular, but second is Jungle, then Support, then Top, and finally ADC.

Mid is always popular because it's a carry position with a good diversity of champions.

Jungle is the most unique role, and you need a better understanding of the game as a whole (buff timers, summoner spell timers, ganking vs. farming, when to go for objectives, etc.) to play it well, so it naturally appeals to experienced players more than new ones.

Support is usually not fun to play unless you have a good team, but you can make some big plays once you're confident in your team's abilities.

Top is both a lower impact role, and the position that Riot seems the least sure of how to balance, so I can see why it falls off at higher level play.

I have no idea why ADC becomes the least popular. If I had to guess, it's because people get bored of playing the same handful of champions again and again.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    There’s a reason they’re looking to expand the bot farming role beyond just marksmen.

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Bot lane sucks nothing says fun like four/five person dive. All the globals or abilities that function to a similar degree (like eighty percent of the ults released for a while) started growing old a while ago, hopefully they're out of ideas for those.

That's why they never wanted to nerf Ziggs when he initially showed up bot, it's overall more healthy for the game to allow him (and others) to function in a different lane that's been unchanged since when, season one? Preseason? The meta has changed and more supports have shown up plus a brief stint with Morde but it's still overall the same lane.

butts
    Is Top really low impact? I can see how that might be true in the late game when it’s all team fights, but it seems like mid game is heavily influenced by top lane as most of those characters are great at assassinating or split pushing or both. Maybe that’s only true if one of top liners gains a significant advantage.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Bot lane is most entertaining when it's a murderlane and not a passive farm fest. The problem is that when bot lane is a murderlane, it's too swingy and a 5/0 ADC at 10 minutes shows up in other lanes and eternally pushes and there's not really a lot you can do about that except start ARAMing sometimes.

unrelated, but the best part about 100T existing/doing well is more pr0lly interviews with Travis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UCdEm46ZvU&feature=youtu.be

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    "No, CertainlyT is the designer on the Akali VGU"
    God save us all.

butts
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    God save us all.

I miss pre-Assassin Rework Akali so damn much. :(

I still play her occasionally, but I feel like my favorite champion is dead and burried.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    God save us all.

I still play her occasionally, but I feel like my favorite champion is dead and burried.

Yea but she gets played now sometimes.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    She's also barely been changed.

butts
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    God save us all.

What's changed? I am very out of the loop on this character.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    God save us all.

Hey, Warwick didn't turn out so bad all things considered. He wasn't an assassin though, but still.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Is Top really low impact? I can see how that might be true in the late game when it’s all team fights, but it seems like mid game is heavily influenced by top lane as most of those characters are great at assassinating or split pushing or both. Maybe that’s only true if one of top liners gains a significant advantage.
    No, I think you're right. It's the hot thing to talk about right now and it's debatable at Diamond+ where the big streamers are, but down where people make mistakes (normals, Bronze, Silver, surely Gold too) top laners can absolutely have a big impact on a game. There is a lot of conflating (a) bruisers and fighters not having a good keystone (in top lane) with (b) top lane itself being weak, which is less true than (a). As far as late game that's going to be more about which champion you picked than where you played it.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    God save us all.

What's changed? I am very out of the loop on this character.

Damage got removed from her Q and moved into a very predictable and readable two-hit passive that can be way more easily outplayed.
    Healing got changed to the first part of that two-hit passive that gives more sustain in lane, but at the cost of her old passive spellvamp that gave her way more sustain later game.

Her R got completely gutted to do almost no damage when before it was an actual decent hit, and it's cooldown got doubled making it harder to chase people.
    Her E got nerfed to the ground from a 1second cooldown to a 3second cooldown at max rank, and no longer procs her Q.
    Her W got changed to a mini-blink (very good, can dodge skillshots) but forcing the shroud on her and locking her abilities for at least a second (very bad). It used to be a targetable ability you could aim and throw that you could pre-place in front of you as you run, that also gave you vision (so you could use it to R over walls to jungle minions or other enemies for example) and had no stupid ability lockout. The old version was way more skillful.

The newer Akali does less damage, is way more predicable, and takes less skill to use. Oh, and the E change was to utterly fuck over Tank Akali which was a great completely different Top build you could do with her compared to the normal AP Mid/Top Akali, and was a 1v1 monster. She got one slightly buff and a mountain of nerfs and dumbing down.

Oh, and the person that ruined her is doing the full Master Yi rework. RIP Master Yi mains. I feel your pain in advance.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Old Akali pressed Q on you, targeted ability, then pressed R, E, R on you (all targeted), and you died.

It was completely un-outplayable and bad.

The new version can become a beast. I've seen it plenty of times.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    starting out strong with ranked flex placements at 0-3

D:

I don't know, some days you just enter every game and joyfully feed in lane and continue doing so in teamfights and then you lose

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Old Akali pressed Q on you, targeted ability, then pressed R, E, R on you (all targeted), and you died.

Yeah, being a person who plays mages mid who tend to get shit on by assassins, I don't see a huge difference between old akali and new akali. I didn't even notice anything changed. It just went from akali murdering me, to akali murdering me. She's still one of my least favorite assassins to lane against because she is so incredibly sticky. There's no way to get away from her with her targeted R, the W blink (plus move speed right?) and then more R charges.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Wow the OP still links to a post I wrote about Twisted Treeline over 4 years ago. Good thing I'm only just ending a 4 year break from this game and I feel no obligation to update it!

Coinage on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Yeah, being a person who plays mages mid who tend to get shit on by assassins, I don't see a huge difference between old akali and new akali. I didn't even notice anything changed. It just went from akali murdering me, to akali murdering me. She's still one of my least favorite assassins to lane against because she is so incredibly sticky. There's no way to get away from her with her targeted R, the W blink (plus move speed right?) and then more R charges.

the trick to beating Akali these days is to not let her snowball and if you pick a ranged mid champ against her you'll almost always be able to lock her down and out farm her.

she's pretty easy to counter but if you don't and she gets a few early kills then she'll snowball out of control and just start ganking everyone and everything.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I sincerely hope the Master Yi rework puts him into the ground. He’s the one champion I would delete from the game and I ban him every time I can.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    Couple questions for leveling; is it better for me to buy out all the low cost (450) blue essence champs so I get unlocks for higher cost ones, or does that not matter? What is honor and what does my honor level unlock?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Couple questions for leveling; is it better for me to buy out all the low cost (450) blue essence champs so I get unlocks for higher cost ones, or does that not matter? What is honor and what does my honor level unlock?

You can get unlock shards for champs you have already unlocked (which you can turn into BE so it's not a waste) so don't buy the cheap ones for that reason.

There are definitey reasons to get them early though! They pad out your roster so you can get into draft pick mode faster, and they tend to be new player friendly and are good options for if you want to try someone new.

Honour stuff: leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Honor

broken image link
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

the trick to beating Akali these days is to not let her snowball and if you pick a ranged mid champ against her you'll almost always be able to lock her down and out farm her.

she's pretty easy to counter but if you don't and she gets a few early kills then she'll snowball out of control and just start ganking everyone and everything.

Since the majority of the time I'm playing Ziggs, I don't in fact have a way to lock her down. I mean, I'd rather play Lux into her, because then I can maybe land a binding, but with her w it's a bit harder.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The only 1350 and lower champion you shouldn't own is Teemo because he is the devil

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Yoooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTU-GnxVuM
    Penumbra wrote: »
    I sincerely hope the Master Yi rework puts him into the ground. He’s the one champion I would delete from the game and I ban him every time I can.

I went and checked some stats just to go "But he's already into the dumpster" and yeah, he's pretty bad from diamond onward. Still, hovering around 50% winrate in all the other ranks? Too high.

That's a solid origin story for Annie's kit but I am not too sure it goes well with her VO

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Hm. Since I started playing again, my win record with Leona is 75%, and my win record with Not-Leona is 24%.

I don't particularly want to play nobody else but Leona forever, but I'm starting to feel like my hands are tied here.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    RAKAN IS SO MUCH FUN HOLY SHIT.

butts
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The only 1350 and lower champion you shouldn't own is Teemo because he is the devil

Alternatively, everyone should own Teemo, because he is the devil. He is fun to play when you need to make people suffer.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    That's a solid origin story for Annie's kit but I am not too sure it goes well with her VO

Brings a whole new meaning to "YAY TIBBERS!"

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Re: Annie rework

I'm sick and tired of Riot changing all the lore.
    I come back after three years and all the cool champs have turned retarded!

Rengar goes from lovable scamp to parricidal klingon.
    Vayne goes from totally-batman to psychopathic murderhobo.
    Ahri goes from spirit-learning-to-be-mortal and best bros with leona to borderline soul vampire.
    Lux .. is still lux, I spose, they retconned that DUMB EZ-SHIP out, but they changed to VO, now she sounds like a valley-girl and the bush-laser joke is gone!

*angrily shakes fist*

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, Riot is currently in the 90s comic phase where everything has to be dark and edgy.

I find that Annie video really crass, as that kind of tragedy pile-up is just piss-poor back-storying.

Really wish they would stop trying to take all the humor out.

So I'm awful at CS with ranged champs. I know how to Attack-move, and I bound that to a keyboard button I like. I think the problem is that when I do a normal right click move my champ starts autoattacking at whatever she likes best. Is there a way to set up my mouse so that I can left-click to move only (and not attack) and right click to attack move?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    You can hold ~ to set it to only attack champions but the problem that you're most likely having is you're clicking the ground rather than a target, or you're standing still and something comes in range due to having auto attack on (which is an actual setting you can disable; not necessarily a benefit unless you're trying to dance in someone's face and disrespect them).

If you can play perfectly you do not need attack move at all since it's just a fail safe option rather than something that provides the player with a benefit. I use A to attack-move and then left click is the default move option.

butts
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I think you can turn autoattacking off in the options menu.

Thought I'd bring some info about remakes:

Riot released an updated remake priority list a few days ago when the new roadmap came out. We know Irelia and Akali are next in line for a full VGU, and Aatrox's getting a very thorough gameplay rework. After these, the roadmap hinted at a Nunu rework, and if I recall correctly, August said he was working on a female champion update - heavily rumoured to be Kayle, going by the list. And if Kayle gets updated, so does Morgana, albeit on a slightly lesser scale. Also, while no real work has begun on Udyr yet, Riot feels "his need of a VGU is getting to the point where it is outweighing the cost of remaking his ultimate skin", which is a good sign.

Can't speak about Irelia since I never played her, Akali could be interesting to follow: sure, CertainlyT is handling her, but as I said in another post, as much as he committed Yasuo, Kalista and Zoe, he also did the Warwick remake and that wasn't too bad - all in all, it depends on how much freedom he's given. Nunu is blergh, so any efforts to make him Actually Well Designed is good to me. Kayle and Morgana seems to be in good hands gameplay wise, so I'm more worried about how Riot will handle their themes - those characters deserves better than a simple GOOD LIGHT ANGEL/EVIL DARK ANGEL dynamic. If they give Udyr a real ultimate ability I'll complain to no one in particular. Otherwise, please think of a good idea for Malphite so he can be on the next list, Riot.