As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] [new Ahri skin to fund the year] / [cervitaur dating sim activated]

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Well I'm back in the climb. I think I could have made gold last season (Silver II high) had I played more, but this season has been incredibly rough so far. I've got one game left in my placements and I'm 1 - 6 (gonna cap at Bronze III). I've exclusively been playing Garen to ease myself back into League. I've been watching a lot of Riste (#1 NA Garen), and I think I've got a good handle on how to play the champ, and Top lane in general, but besides being rusty and playing on a laptop (my computer shit the bed and I've got to rebuild it), I make so many micro mistakes. Things like last hitting the wrong minion (I swear I right-clicked the other guy!) or pressing the wrong buttons in the heat of the moment. I'm going to set up my gamepad and see if that helps with the button pressing at least.

I don't know if I should continue on Garen until my micro play is solid or if I should give up and play a real champion. His kit didn't change, but I think the change in the Celerity rune and the new Conqueror rune users negate his ability to play aggressively at low level, and then building defensively doesn't allow me to catch up ever. I certainly haven't had strong teammates, but I can see how my lack of pressure allows the other enemies to snowball into other lanes. The stronger Juggernauts just don't appeal to me thematically (except for Illaoi, but I see her banned a lot). I've got Fiora and Riven now, so I could take some time playing normals to get good on them... Except Fiora is also terrible right now? With the abundance of Conqueror & Press the Attack users I don't feel safe picking Poppy anymore, and to be honest I didn't do well on her even in normals. Kayle is also a champ that appeals to me but her playstyle is so different from the normal, and considering my micro mistakes I don't think picking a weak laning champion is the right answer for me right now.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    If you feel garen falls off you may wish to read his passive again.

After lvl 11 if they can't 100-0 you they might as well not even try. Your own personal warmogs.

Celerity isn't a good rune for him. Go domination because his q can proc the true damage on Cheap Shot and healing off of your E is real nice. You can go Taste of Blood if you dont feel you can weave an auto into your trades, but with Grasp of the Undying you should already be doing that.

You also get a load of free stats in lane: armor and magic resist, cc reduction, armor pen.

You just need to rely on your giant stack of stats vs conqueror users. Hit them with your q and e then w to absorb their return damage. Your passive heals you and go again. The only people to give you trouble if you're even are illaoi and Darius.

The skill in Garen is all about timing. When to w to block their hits or cc. When to e to maximize damage, when to q to block their combos or cleanse slows

Overall though any champion can get you to masters. Any of them. You just have to practice

• Options
    Thanks for the advice? I mean I know how Garen's kit works. What I'm saying is that he lost a lot of personal power from the old celerity rune, and that the new conqueror's creates a lot of difficult match-ups for him: Garen simply can't trade v Jayce, or Yorick, or Vayne, or Renekton, all of whom will be able to kill you under tower if they start a snowball, which is even easier to do with a little jungle assistance v. a relatively immobile Juggernaut. It's true that any champion can get to masters: Riste is sitting on a Grandmasters account right now, though will he be able to regain that title after the MMR reset? I'm a huge follower of his and I think I've got a good handle on his playstyle (not that I can mechanically recreate it: my micro is still pretty bad) and watching him play he's usually happy to forfeit the early game and 'support the win condition' through the middle when Garen shines. The problem here is that in the Bronze bush league if I'm behind and not putting pressure anywhere that leads to a good chance that the rest of the team is impacted and behind, and then even when we're able to make a comeback via picking up a few bounties the team doesn't translate that into something useful like taking a dragon etc. Last season I was able to carry a bit more as Garen, the number of champs I can 1v1 has diminished significantly.

I mean, I know that I've got a lot of practice ahead of me to really get the muscle memory and fundamentals of the game down. I'm just thinking that playing Garen to do so isn't doing me any favors. Like I could probably spend a few weeks on Riven to get the mechanics of that down and then play with a top tier champ instead of a bottom tier one. Or hell, I could just swap to AD Poppy and Illaoi since I'm already proficient on them, I just don't like their aesthetics.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Whoever recommended watching SKT vs Griffen was on point. That is some of the best league of Legends I have ever seen. It goes all 3 games, all 3 are back and forth, and go down to the wire.

Just excently played by these 2 teams I highly recommend watching it
    I had watched the first 2 games and thought it was really great, got busy and didn't finish. Just watched game 3 - wow. If anyone doesn't have time to watch the series (you should if you can), even just game 3 is so good.

Ya it's the best league of Legends I've ever seen. If somebody in this thread has never watched a league of Legends series or game, game 3 is one to watch.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    So earlier tonight I'm Bronze 1 96 LP. Previous game I think I did some good shotcalling and murdering (got a quadra too), I'm looking to win this and get into my Silver promos. My mid's Zed gets banned and...

They pick Vayne.
    np np np let's do this. Early game is going well for me as Vi jg (4/1/1 at ~10 minutes) but my team is struggling. I'm doing my best but enemies have lane pressure bot/top and their Shyvana is fed and dominating dragons, taking my jungle every time I turn my head, and picks up the early RH. Enemy Annie support is fed enough she may as well be a laner. Oof. Surrender votes are coming up as our mid inhib falls with only one of their outer turrets taken. They get top inhib a few minutes later. 2 inhibs down, 3 dragons theirs, and we've taken one tower. Down 8k gold at 18 minutes.
    But then they try to force a 5v5 in our base and Vayne does those rare good-Vayne-things killing 3, and I figure what do we have to lose, ping Baron. We take it! Mid inhib respawns, I'm dancing just in front of base while we wait out Baron and they unload 3 ultimates onto me. I die, but they get aced without anyone else dying. Bye bye their mid inhib!

We keep clearing their vision, our top pushes their bot lane and they send 3. We go to Baron, but they steal it! (I did bad panic smite :{ :{) But we kill their ADC & jungler! They try another "slam our teams together" and Vayne gets a quadra kill. We re-take their inhib and get elder. As we're retreating Shyv goes too deep and I get a pick on her our team can follow-up on; she has GA but her team straggles in and we kill 3 more after her.

https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/3001851349/221461891?tab=overview

• Options
    I hate this community. 1-5-53 soroaka on a team with 54 kills in aram. 100%kp, 40k in heals, the reason we won.

Not one honor. What the fuck people?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    So earlier tonight I'm Bronze 1 96 LP. Previous game I think I did some good shotcalling and murdering (got a quadra too), I'm looking to win this and get into my Silver promos. My mid's Zed gets banned and...

They pick Vayne.
    np np np let's do this. Early game is going well for me as Vi jg (4/1/1 at ~10 minutes) but my team is struggling. I'm doing my best but enemies have lane pressure bot/top and their Shyvana is fed and dominating dragons, taking my jungle every time I turn my head, and picks up the early RH. Enemy Annie support is fed enough she may as well be a laner. Oof. Surrender votes are coming up as our mid inhib falls with only one of their outer turrets taken. They get top inhib a few minutes later. 2 inhibs down, 3 dragons theirs, and we've taken one tower. Down 8k gold at 18 minutes.
    But then they try to force a 5v5 in our base and Vayne does those rare good-Vayne-things killing 3, and I figure what do we have to lose, ping Baron. We take it! Mid inhib respawns, I'm dancing just in front of base while we wait out Baron and they unload 3 ultimates onto me. I die, but they get aced without anyone else dying. Bye bye their mid inhib!

We keep clearing their vision, our top pushes their bot lane and they send 3. We go to Baron, but they steal it! (I did bad panic smite :{ :{) But we kill their ADC & jungler! They try another "slam our teams together" and Vayne gets a quadra kill. We re-take their inhib and get elder. As we're retreating Shyv goes too deep and I get a pick on her our team can follow-up on; she has GA but her team straggles in and we kill 3 more after her.

https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/3001851349/221461891?tab=overview

Nice! I look at your teamcomp and sort of think 'oh no' but also think 'Late game win condition.' Glad it worked!

I lost my Gold 1 promos and then found myself unable to win a game of league of legends, but at least I realized that and took a break before I lost *all* my LP...

I'm struggling a bit with support picks as I get closer to my elo plateau, because Zyra isn't the best pick for every game as it starts to make more sense, sometimes, to provide other functions to the team. Sometimes I feel super-insightful and vindicated when my choice of tank ends up being correct; sometimes I end up feeling irritated as my choice of Morgana, for example, does not at all work (because my Morgana play is...not good...)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Whenever I have to support I always end up going for either Leona for aggro ADCs or LuLu for those awful zed/rengar games.

I feel like LuLu had disappeared for some reason but I don't know why. Poly is so strong

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Whenever I have to support I always end up going for either Leona for aggro ADCs or LuLu for those awful zed/rengar games.

I feel like LuLu had disappeared for some reason but I don't know why. Poly is so strong

She's like Janna but weaker, basically. Poly is strong but it also only shuts down a single target, while someone like Nami or Janna can peel multiple people with their basic abilities.

• Options
    We crushed my first promo game. Second game started well and then one of my teammates disappeared from level 3 to about 9 (said his PC borked). Of all the lanes, why did it have to be the top lane, against a Yorick, that disappeared. Literally any other enemy teammate getting a free lane would be better. He became the unstoppable Yorick of legend. Oof.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Oh hey, they're making a skin for a new champion.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Koreg wrote: »

She's like Janna but weaker, basically. Poly is strong but it also only shuts down a single target, while someone like Nami or Janna can peel multiple people with their basic abilities.

I *hate* the cast time on polymorph. It feels like it should be instantaneous but it's actually pretty long and sometimes even if you've been spamming it, the person already gets their damage off--which actually hm probably means that my Lulu positioning is off, like I need to be standing in a way that I can polymorph the enemy before they're in range of my adc, even given the cast time...

I had the most heroic Nami game the other day; look at this shit: https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/3000407786/203490857?tab=overview --one of the few instances where botlane carries feeding sololaners. S+ :D

I might try to play Nami in some of the situations where I've been picking Morgana, because my 33% winrate on Morgana this season is ummmmmmmmm not promising. Last season I did well on her, so I'm sure I'll get my competence back, but for now it's just not working out, for whatever reason. I need more practice on Nami though; I could do with fewer 'zoning' bubbles.

I also did enjoy my one ranked game this season on support Lux, but it's mega situational (and would almost always rather play Zyra). I played it with Caitlyn into Sivir/Morg when Zyra was banned, and it was good because that needs to be a poke lane that doesn't try to all-in. Vel'koz would be fine too but Lux is easier for me, plus I like having really straightforward pick potential with Q.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Oh hey, they're making a skin for a new champion.

Ivern is great champ! don't make me bust out my candy canes.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Hey, outta bronze! That wasn't bad at all really. Wearing my bronze icon-border was good motivation, I like that it changes during-season.
    hx4kpwhk61yv.jpg

When I came back earlier this year consensus seemed to be that Vi was terrible (even though her win rate looked ok?), then folks said the tweaks they did to her were nerfs. But at least for me, Xin Zhao wasn't working after 15 minutes and Udyr got boring/frustrating against good CC teams. So I went back to Vi and in 8 games I've only lost one when a teammate AFKed. :+1:

• Options
    Hey, outta bronze! That wasn't bad at all really. Wearing my bronze icon-border was good motivation, I like that it changes during-season.
    hx4kpwhk61yv.jpg

When I came back earlier this year consensus seemed to be that Vi was terrible (even though her win rate looked ok?), then folks said the tweaks they did to her were nerfs. But at least for me, Xin Zhao wasn't working after 15 minutes and Udyr got boring/frustrating against good CC teams. So I went back to Vi and in 8 games I've only lost one when a teammate AFKed. :+1:

Vi has a really high win rate in solo que after the changes and it's only her full damage that for nerfed from my understanding. Triforce into tank now is the build and she's pretty good.

• Options
    I finished my placements at B2 2 - 6, so pretty disappointing considering my play last season. I didn't think my skill in this game would have atrophied so much, but I keep seeing mistakes in my play split-seconds before they happen. I think the new keyboard/mouse set-up is partially to blame, so I really need to work on rebuilding my desktop. I started practicing Fiora in normals. I usually don't talk unless spoken to (and I never get into arguments in-game), but I did have a laugh at one of my games tonight. A new Jungler fessed up that he was trying something out with Warwick and was kinda asking our permission? I think it was more like our forgiveness since he'd already locked in his champ. Regardless I told him to go nuts as that's what normals are for. The support player picked Irven (seemed like an odd pick) and also chimed in the affirmative but, wouldn't you know it, started flaming in game after the first death (it was me... totally Q'd the wrong way and was severely punished for it). He even looked us up in OP.GG and started throwing out our win rates (mine's at 50% right now overall, so not really embarrassing). My threshold for ass-hattery is very low, but he stopped typing and didn't really int that I could tell so I spared him the report.

Afterwards I looked him up in OP.GG. Straight 0% win rate. Dude, you're trolling! I had a good laugh about it afterwards, and also that despite being literally my first game on Fiora that I was the highest contributor on my team for that game. Oh League, never change! Seriously though, change immediately; if I had my way I'd moderate the player base like Tube does this forum.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Is there any reason not disenchant all these character cards into blue essence? I own all the champs, and I'm not sure what to do with the extra blue essence I have.

• Options
    Roz wrote: »
    Is there any reason not disenchant all these character cards into blue essence? I own all the champs, and I'm not sure what to do with the extra blue essence I have.

Used for mastery 6/7

• Options
    Something I've been debating is trying out Vi top, for those games where we don't have any good initiation on our comp. Has anyone else had any luck with it?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Something I've been debating is trying out Vi top, for those games where we don't have any good initiation on our comp. Has anyone else had any luck with it?

Trinity into tank sounds like it would fine.

• Options
    The jungler was angry I banned 'his' yi, which he was not hovering, so how on earth was I supposed to know, and declared his intent to int. So with two teammates trolling champion select, as well as Wu only leashing for a couple of seconds, and then getting to lane before me and taking the three melees so I was half a level behind all lane, it was looking Pretty Grim, but I put on my carry pants and succeeded through sheer determination (and tactical use of the mute button)
    https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/3004524150/203490857?tab=overview

• Options
    So skt''s jungle Clid, was once a bronze 5 teemo main. He switched to Lee sin and us now on one of the top teams in korea.

There's hope for us all.

• Options
    I've tried it once or twice and hated it (jungle Vi's been my main for a few years). What I remember from high elo streamers talking about it is the same, that it's terrible for the reasons you'd think. Your main tool is telegraphed suuuper obviously and is fairly easy to dodge. And if you don't land your Q you're having a bad time. Of course the rule of "everything works in {insert elo} and below if you're good" is always there, but there are far better choices.

Also as much as Vi has initiation, you don't really want to start (team) fights with her unless you're super ahead and also have a good team you're sure will help you out. Her tools are go in go in go in, but she functions more as an assassin than a bruiser. If you can't get a clean pick and it's going to be a team fight, you want to either wait until people are distracted (eg fight has started) and dive their important squishies, or peel for your own. If you try to be the initiator you're usually going to get CCed and blown up, or just plain blown up.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    This CLG vs Echo Fox battle for 6th place is amazing

• Options
    Another interesting factoid. Garen is the only champion to not be played professionally in the LCS (I assume just NA). I want to know when the hell teemo was actually played.

• Options
    Playing Garen in high Elo teams is equivalent to an Ohmwrecker challenge.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Another interesting factoid. Garen is the only champion to not be played professionally in the LCS (I assume just NA). I want to know when the hell teemo was actually played.

Teemo has gotten play here and there.

A lot of analysts think he's actually pretty close to viable and good.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Teemo is a good boy. There’s so many characters out there that just hate to get a face full of poison that shuts down their autoattacks.

Plus I think people really undervalue how much extra vision you get out of those mushrooms.

I still maintain that he’s a healthier character to have in the game than some of the stuff Riot does. He’s just not BDE flashy like they seem to want to promote.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Garen hasn't been played in LCK either. He's been played in EU though because of course he has.
    Teemo was played by Griffin's ADC Viper last year.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular

S...4, I think it was, Hai led C9 to victory over TSM with Teemo in the opening week of the LCS.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    Teemo showed up last year for sure. I remember him being selected a couple of times. One of which was intentional I think.

• Options
    I always see the hover but I've never actually seen the pick. I mat have to go to Google and YouTube to find some videos. Especially the one of Hai. He was always one of my favorite players.

• Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    But like no cat costume for nidalee or katarina

what the hell are you even doing anymore riot?!?!?!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    kitty kat katarina explicitly appears in the splash screen tho
    it's neeko in disguise

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    So I'm watching NA academy semi finals.

There is a sona taric bot lane in game one. Sona adc. What world are we in?

• Options
    So I'm watching NA academy semi finals.

There is a sona taric bot lane in game one. Sona adc. What world are we in?

A awesome one.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    And now we have urgot jungle. Academy is fun.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    And now we have urgot jungle. Academy is fun.

The perma-W is very good.