As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] The fight starts August 14th

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It basically irradiates the area wherever it’s used, and makes everything around it uninhabitable. Current Southshore is a decent example of a place where the blight was successfully deployed.

You COULD resurrect them, possibly, maybe, if you could get to them. The only thing currently known to dissipate blight is the breath from a red dragon

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Still that UI is gross I want the default option
    It's worked fine for years I don't know why they would change it

If you're talking about the character creation UI, it's been like that since MoP.
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is new, since I don't really ever run with stock UI, but something I noticed in the Alpha/Beta was that enemy abilities seem to be coded a lot better to show that they have armor so they can't be interrupted.

Nothing really felt worse than wasting a long cool-down that looked like it could be, but actually couldn't.

The shield icon that indicates casts are uninterruptible has been in the game since Cata. Have you been using a third party UI that whole time?

No the UI when you play the game this abomantion
    ws14b8a37gwk.jpg

oj1siac4ldv6.jpg

I like the default one why they had to change is beyond me

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I say this as somebody who does not use the default UI but it hasn't really changed much to me.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    The bags are the big thing I notice, why do that.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    The bags are the big thing I notice, why do that.

Opening up more slots maybe?

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I say this as somebody who does not use the default UI but it hasn't really changed much to me.

I use the default UI and the new UI is basically the same thing with the bottom right action bar moved over to the left, and the bags were stacked on all the other tabs. It basically changed nothing. The new UI does look like it has room for 4 more bags... one can dream right?.

As far as war crimes go, it makes sense that they would go to such extremes. The past wars in warcraft have all shown that the loser gets super fucked or completely killed off. If you were losing a fight it makes perfect sense to use everything at your disposal to prevent that defeat and/or make sure your enemy doesn't win. It does escalate things a lot for something that didnt end the war, so we'll see where it goes from here.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    One of the things Ive really enjoyed about Legion since I started up again about 8 weeks ago is that Ive been able to pretend the Horde and Alliance dont exist. I've rarely been back to a capital city and almost everything quest related has been from a non H/A group. Really not looking forward to the expansion in this respect.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Javen wrote: »
    It basically irradiates the area wherever it’s used, and makes everything around it uninhabitable. Current Southshore is a decent example of a place where the blight was successfully deployed.

You COULD resurrect them, possibly, maybe, if you could get to them. The only thing currently known to dissipate blight is the breath from a red dragon

It sure is a good thing that my normal means of fighting people in no way has a history of severely fucking up the environment of a thousand thousand worlds. *crackles with the uncontrollable power of the Fel*

Alternate Punchline: Oh no won’t someone think of the ecological wellbeing of *checks notes* the hellblasted wasteland of Lordaeron

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Going back to Vanilla, the forsaken plan has always been to murder everyone and raise them as forsaken as shown in a few old quests in vanilla. I believe those quests were removed with the revamped Scarlet Monastery, dunno that the lore is gone or retconned though.

Ya it was basically a race between the tauren finding a cure for their undeath/helping the cenarion circle fix the barrens, and the forsaken figuring out how to make everyone join them. I really wish they would have done something like a mad alchemist class instead of just making a it a profession. Rogues used to have a more alchemy poisoner kind of thing going on, but it's basically all just passive stuff.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

It sure is a good thing that my normal means of fighting people in no way has a history of severely fucking up the environment of a thousand thousand worlds. *crackles with the uncontrollable power of the Fel*

Alternate Punchline: Oh no won’t someone think of the ecological wellbeing of *checks notes* the hellblasted wasteland of Lordaeron

/nerd on
    "War crimes" is not a thing that people actually care about in Azeroth since the Alliance tortured from the Orcs the knowledge of how to become a Warlock back on the Second War. And the taboo against Necromancy kinda got waved away when the Ebon Blade got in both the factions. There's still a very strong social taboo, but "out of sight, out of mind" takes care of that.

And people say that the game with cow people isn't realistic.
    /nerd off

edited April 2018
    TryCatcher wrote: »

/nerd on
    "War crimes" is not a thing that people actually care about in Azeroth since the Alliance tortured from the Orcs the knowledge of how to become a Warlock back on the Second War. And the taboo against Necromancy kinda got waved away when the Ebon Blade got in both the factions. There's still a very strong social taboo, but "out of sight, out of mind" takes care of that.

And people say that the game with cow people isn't realistic.
    /nerd off

No disagreement here, I’m just specifically mocking the idea that the choice to directly participate in the use of the Blight has any real weight here.

Fiaryn on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Beta Undercity scenario
    They are absolutely positioning the Horde as the baddies this time. They softened Jaina a ton too, she's no longer warmongering.
    I loled playing a horde side first sign of trouble break out the plague and start gasing people. Every time people try to go both sides are bad the horde pulls crap like that.
    One small bit I liked in that is on the horde side, it gives the player the option of whether or not they want a gas mask and blight cannon, or you can say 'fuck the blight' and just take the mask. Not forcing players to personally deploy chemical weapons is at least a step in the right direction when it comes to personal characterization through quests.

But I really hate what they did to Jaina. Having Jaina be bloodthirsty and Anduin being the cooler head was a nice spin on the 'men are always aggressive and battle-hungry, and women are always passive and squeamish' Then they completely undo it.

Unfortunately this doesn't really apply to Sylvanas, either, since EVERYONE in the horde is now a bloodthirsty monster.

Personally I think the so called moral dilemma kinda falls flat if you think about it for more than a half of a second.
    So I can use the Blight or not. I get that we’re trying to make some kind of metaphor for real world warcrimes with chemical weapons but the problem is that a lot of us are already walkingn war crimes.

I’ll just go ahead and...what exactly? Use my super ethical alternative of defaulting to my usual combat style of tearing off pieces of peoples immortal souls to then ignite with magical nuclear energy aka the Fel? Oh wait I’ve got a good one, let me switch over to my Fire Mage and burn some dudes to death that’s well known for being a Cool and Good way to die. Wait wait I have word on the ground that my Unholy Death Knight is causing people to die from a half a dozen virulent lethal diseases in gruesome agony and then raising their shambling corpses to fight their friends. We’ve finally found an ethical option.

I mean really go ahead and hand me a Blight launcher, why on earth should I bat an eyelash?

Well, there *is* the problem of
    Horde soldiers still being on the field and getting killed by it as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    This seems applicable

https://youtu.be/dYFGRD1T9wQ?t=6

In other news, I really hope something interesting/of substance actually comes out of the Q&A today.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

If you're talking about the character creation UI, it's been like that since MoP.
    I'm not sure if this is new, since I don't really ever run with stock UI, but something I noticed in the Alpha/Beta was that enemy abilities seem to be coded a lot better to show that they have armor so they can't be interrupted.

Nothing really felt worse than wasting a long cool-down that looked like it could be, but actually couldn't.

The shield icon that indicates casts are uninterruptible has been in the game since Cata. Have you been using a third party UI that whole time?

ws14b8a37gwk.jpg

oj1siac4ldv6.jpg

Please post one screenshot of your current live GUI that you do like, for comparison.

steam_sig.png

Well, yeah, it's definitely a good thing. You're not near powerful enough for anything like that.

To continue the analogy, radiation is only dangerous over certain levels. Your average warlock isn't going to register on the geiger counter at all.

Blight seems bad in the sense that it was specifically made to be harmful to literally everything, to be powerful enough to even render its victims unable to be raised by the Lich King. It also seems only able to be deployed in vectors that have a high chance at harming your own people, as well as the enemy, who, again, can't be raised once dead (canonically, I know the gameplay doesn't actually function this way)

edited April 2018
    I think when you use enough Fel to beat up Titans you stop being able to say "oh it's only a TEENSY bit of highly corruptive Fel energy".

It's highly irresponsible to use no matter how you slice it, and the willingness of both sides to employ Demon Hunters and/or Warlocks reflects poorly on both of them.

And don't even get me started on Druids. Emerald Nightmare, 8/10 bosses are corrupted druids or guardians of nature. What is nature magic really hiding? And why does anyone keep employing these so called guardians of nature?

Fiaryn on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Death and decay is a part of nature.

Look I'm just saying that at this point Druids probably have a worse track record than Arcane magic, which they were meant to be a safer alternative to in the first place.

Druids are an insidious rot in the bedrock of our society and must be stopped.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    In other news, I really hope something interesting/of substance actually comes out of the Q&A today.

I find that very unlikely, sorry to say.

edited April 2018
    Oh me too, it's always softball questions that they've already answered 15 times and never address actual concerns people have.

edit: I kind of feel like they have to show off/announce something cool today though because there has been very little hype and a lot of negativity surrounding BfA, and we all saw how that kind of stuff affects sales and popularity in this day and age.

Enigmedic on
    Probably a lot regarding Island Expeditions, they've been pushing testing for that pretty hard.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Honestly as someone who hasn't watched video of them, they really haven't done an amazing job of explaining, like...what they are

liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2018
    From what I can tell theyre just instanced versions of the world quests where you have to fill up a percentage bar, but in a race against another team, and instead of percentage you collect azerite from everything. And they are randomly generated. There is really nothing new here except where they are testing the new npc AI

Enigmedic on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Honestly as someone who hasn't watched video of them, they really haven't done an amazing job of explaining, like...what they are

Remember the MoP scenarios? It's that, but the map is always a random island, unexplored, the enemies are randomized and use AI that ignores threat and instead does things like go for your healer and kick spells, and you can q for a pvp version where a horde and an alliance group zone into the same instance.

steam_sig.png

It's kind of hard to explain using direct comparisons, since it isn't really anything that Blizzard has done before

It's kind of a mix between a small PvP battleground, and the MoP scenarios. You queue into a group and get dropped in with two other people, and your goal is to accrue a certain amount of Azerite before the other faction.

The big draws, according to them, are that while you queue for certain islands, stuff that's on them is randomized. Certain events, quests, creatures and objectives are randomly generated each time you queue.

Another big draw is that while you are always up against players of the opposite faction, if you choose anything other than PvP, those players are actually bots. They supposedly honed their AI to a point where it can reasonably imitate player behavior, such rogues using stealth abilities to try and gank healers, or players wandering by themselves, using the terrain to line-of-sight casters, jumping across geography

Sure, I know y'all can explain it

But Blizzard is the ones that have to

liEt3nH.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »

ws14b8a37gwk.jpg

oj1siac4ldv6.jpg

Please post one screenshot of your current live GUI that you do like, for comparison.

g5ods9mzgldz.jpg
    From when I got both warlock legendaries to appear in the preview panel

Still say that is a good change because the center of the screen has your combat abilities instead of the character minibar and the bags.

But I'm fully aware that is, like, my opinion man.

I think I actually like the new one because it has more of a gap on the bottom left and between the minibar and abilities. Ill be able to move the chatbox down further and probably have recount in the gab to the right of my bars.

In the beta if you turn up the Ui bar to max it overtakes the bags and other stuff making it hard to use

Still I want a option to use the old UI if they push this forward

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Oh shit, I completely missed in Alpha that they actually *did* the separate Large Battleground PvP queue, moving AV and IoC into their own hopper.

And they mentioned they're looking at possibly reworking Wintergrasp and Tol Barad and putting them in there. Trashran is disabled as well, until they look at it for a rework and possibly stick it in there as well.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited April 2018
    HOLY SHIT pogchamps in the chat! They are talking about adding the world pvp scaling like we talked about a bit ago

edit:

So pretty much everything else in the Q&A has been said before. Basically swifty macros suck and are bad gameplay, theyre still deciding which artifact traits will carry over once they are crunching numbers for tuning more, azerite armor will basically take up the role of artifact traits and leggos, pvp will have conquest points to unlock gear in addition to random drops.

They did say get fucked if you want alliance high elves, he basically said go play horde lol. And he did recognize the difference in morality between the forsaken and tauren. I guess they also officially have said the 40 man BGs will be in their own queue, but that they will be getting rid of blacklisting the regular BGs. No mention of SotA though.

Enigmedic on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    So pretty much everything else in the Q&A has been said before. Basically swifty macros suck and are bad gameplay, theyre still deciding which artifact traits will carry over once they are crunching numbers for tuning more, azerite armor will basically take up the role of artifact traits and leggos, pvp will have conquest points to unlock gear in addition to random drops.

They've still got a ways to go. Frost Mages are still missing a level 60 talent and we're already in beta.

Did laughed at the implication that the cry for High Elves isn't about "lore", is about wanting to play pretty white elves on the Alliance:
    Ion wrote:
    Blood Elves are basically High Elves. Slightly different eye color and backstory, but if you want to be a light skinned elf, that is basically a Blood Elf. Giving that to the Alliance would blur the line between factions.
    There aren't a ton of High Elves out there in WoW.
    If you are Alliance and want to be an elf, the Horde is there for you.

The more interesting bits are about the GCD change. Basically, is happening, BUT, a)Defensives are probably getting out of the GCD based on feedback and b)Fury is also going to be looked over.

giving that to the alliance would blur the line between factions, like if there was some kind of neutral race that both sides could be, or if both sides had the same iconic elf skeletons, or if one side's troll used night elf animations

liEt3nH.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I don't understand how they couldn't take this opportunity to add high elves to the alliance. Seems crazy.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Did laughed at the implication that the cry for High Elves isn't about "lore", is about wanting to play pretty white elves on the Alliance:
    Ion wrote:
    Blood Elves are basically High Elves. Slightly different eye color and backstory, but if you want to be a light skinned elf, that is basically a Blood Elf. Giving that to the Alliance would blur the line between factions.
    There aren't a ton of High Elves out there in WoW.
    If you are Alliance and want to be an elf, the Horde is there for you.

That's a pretty funny statement coming from him given a common player complaint over the years has exactly been Blizzard blurring the lines between factions too much.

I will say that High Elves probably would have made more sense from a story standpoint than giving Blood Elves purple skin and a sudden penchant for British accents, but at the end of the day yeah they can just roll Horde if they want to be white elves because Ion likes to be stubborn on the stupidest shit sometimes and he's not going to change it now that he's decided this is how it's going to be.

(giev Horde Ogres plz Blazerd)

Donnicton on
    I think that they are afraid of the Horde population crashing if they give the most popular Horde race by far to the Alliance.

Like, look at Wildstar. One faction had the pretty furry fairies and the other didn't. Guess what happened.

On Ogres, I think that is the same problem with Vrykrul: The models are just too big. Like, Tauren already stretch how big a player model can be, and Vrykrul and Ogres are even bigger.

So, just like Kul'tirans are a compromise for Vrykrul, then Horde could get Half-Ogres. Also, that new Rexxar model looks amazing.

This discussion has been closed.