As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] The fight starts August 14th

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    I think that they are afraid of the Horde population crashing if they give the most popular Horde race by far to the Alliance.

Like, look at Wildstar. One faction had the pretty furry fairies and the other didn't. Guess what happened.

That page reads like bad fanfiction, why did I read that page

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    From a story perspective it doesnt make sense to give alliance high elves though. The high elves were either killed off by arthas, or escaped and ended up with kaelthas who the alliance basically told to go fuck himself. Then half of them actually went with kael to outland and we're killed by us, or became the blood elves when the horde took back silvermoon. Sure there might be a high elf here or there, but there isn't any kind of population located anywhere that would be able to support any kind of war. People claim hey what about alleria?! But she was doing whatever time travel bullshit turalyon was for a few thousand years, and in the void elf unlocking quest you basically just find other high elves that also got sucked into some nethervoid time pocket. So the only high elves left are the ones who have been messing with void magic.

And man i wish wildstar hadn't tanked as hard as it did. it really did a lot of things right. But yeah the aurin were just everywhere, which is probably another reason not to add high elves. The game would have 1 story between undead and humans, and 90% of the player base would be playing high elf vs blood elf.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Also, the only High Elf force that people can point to in game is the Silver Covenant and a small High Elf lodge that got killed off in Cata.

(Blizzard should have given the Silver Covenant less attention if they didn't wanted this to happen IMO).

That's...not a lot of High Elves. Even Void Elves have most of their ranks as former Blood Elves.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So basically the most straight-forward way to get High Elves is to win and dismantle the Horde, bringing peace and all the races under the banner of the Allied Races of Azeroth.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I don't see many Blood Elves on Silvermoon being receptive to "well, if Silvermoon wanted the help of the Alliance against Arthas, Anasterian shouldn't have fucked off after the Second War". Specially coming from Alleria, that wasn't there when Arthas invaded.

EDIT: (In fact, I would expect the most typical answer being how Alleria and her human boy toy can get fucked).

EDIT2: Reading "Horde bias" after all the Sylvannas spoilers is...something allright.

EDIT3: Reading all the forum salt on Taliesen's voice.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    They managed to plot contrive their way into a significant enough number of Void Elves existing to make a faction out of them. I'm sure they could have thought of something for High Elves. Their reasoning is about as flimsy as when they tried to use narrative to explain why Blood Elves couldn't be warriors at BC launch rather than just admitting it was a technical limitation.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    giving that to the alliance would blur the line between factions, like if there was some kind of neutral race that both sides could be, or if both sides had the same iconic elf skeletons, or if one side's troll used night elf animations

Yeah they have already basically said fuck it when they added void elves and nightborne. High elves have been in the alliance since day 1 as npcs, so...

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    They managed to plot contrive their way into a significant enough number of Void Elves existing to make a faction out of them. I'm sure they could have thought of something for High Elves. Their reasoning is about as flimsy as when they tried to use narrative to explain why Blood Elves couldn't be warriors at BC launch rather than just admitting it was a technical limitation.

Hello, yes. I'm part of that large-ish army of high elves with an existing faction called the Silver Covenant. Straight outta Northrend, yall

• Options
    The silver covenant are just a wing of the kirin tor that hates the horde, and is mostly made up of high elves that didnt go that way. If we want to start grabbing playable races from npc factions sign me the fuck up for the wyrmrest accord. Pretty sure the dragons have been around for a while too, they were at least in wc2. Also ogres.

Just because something has existed for a while doesnt mean it should get a spot as a playable race. Sure i think void elves are stupid to be playable, especially because night elves are already purple elves.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I think I'm generally okay with void elves now, after finally getting to play one in beta due to having to wait on the physical CE.

Those frosted swirling purple tips on the end of the hair are like *chef kiss* mwah.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I fucking love void elves. They're the perfect monkey paw style wish-granting for everyone who wanted high elves on Alliance.

EDIT: Yes, you will get elves who follow Alleria Windrunner, greatest high-elven ranger general. And they will be the most edgelord-looking motherfuckers you've ever seen.

Javen on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I fucking love void elves. They're the perfect monkey paw style wish-granting for everyone who wanted high elves on Alliance.

EDIT: Yes, you will get elves who follow Alleria Windrunner, greatest high-elven ranger general. And they will be the most edgelord-looking motherfuckers you've ever seen.

And they still will be one of the most popular Allied Races.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I race changed to a void elf!

Screw your blonde blue eyed elves i'm gankutsuouing it up in this bitch.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Nosf wrote: »
    I don't understand how they couldn't take this opportunity to add high elves to the alliance. Seems crazy.

*stares at void elves for a while*
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    From a story perspective it doesnt make sense to give alliance high elves though. The high elves were either killed off by arthas, or escaped and ended up with kaelthas who the alliance basically told to go fuck himself. Then half of them actually went with kael to outland and we're killed by us, or became the blood elves when the horde took back silvermoon. Sure there might be a high elf here or there, but there isn't any kind of population located anywhere that would be able to support any kind of war. People claim hey what about alleria?! But she was doing whatever time travel bullshit turalyon was for a few thousand years, and in the void elf unlocking quest you basically just find other high elves that also got sucked into some nethervoid time pocket. So the only high elves left are the ones who have been messing with void magic.

And man i wish wildstar hadn't tanked as hard as it did. it really did a lot of things right. But yeah the aurin were just everywhere, which is probably another reason not to add high elves. The game would have 1 story between undead and humans, and 90% of the player base would be playing high elf vs blood elf.

There's still a healthy population of high elves living in Dalaran, at the very least. They all have the blue arcane glow eyes, rather than the blood elf green fel glow eyes (or sometimes golden holy light glow eyes now I guess). They're even specifically friends to the Alliance and on bad terms with the Horde.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I wish I could understand the obsession with High Elves, but I don't.

What we have on boths sides now is like 90% what a high elf would be right? I mean its just a slightly different cosmetic. It almost seems like people want it more because blizz is telling them no then actually caring.

But, I do openly admit I just don't understand. I am sure it is no different then someone who doesn't understand how someone could possibly like vanilla gameplay.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    High elves would just be Blood elves/Void elves with Blue eyes.

Like you could literally give Blood elves blue eye option and boom you've got high elves or hell give void elves a normal skin tone so people could pretend.

I don't get it either.

Honestly i don't want to get down on people for wanting what they want but for me personally void elves are fine give me something cool like snek people.

Zunde on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    People just want to play Legolas, that's all.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Wasn't he a wood elf?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThorbanThorban Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    They've still got a ways to go. Frost Mages are still missing a level 60 talent and we're already in beta.

Prot warriors are missing three talents and an active mitigation ability. So are effectively incapable of performing their role. On top of that Ravager is still a level 100 talent that no one in their right mind has ever taken as Prot. Blizz have a very, very long way to go.

Thorban on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Wasn't he a wood elf?

Yes

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Wasn't he a wood elf?

The Elves of LOTR are a convoluted string of factions, but yes he belongs to the Wood-Elves which are a distinctly different faction from High Elves. Though High Elves back in the start of Warcraft(e.g. Warcraft 2) were modeled more after those LOTR/D&D High Elves, before they introduced the "literally lives in trees" Elves.

Keep in mind the minimum criteria for people who want to play Legolas clones typically only extends as far as "elf" and "kind of looks like Orlando Bloom", so they're going to have the Legolaseses instead of purple elf even though Night Elves are closer by background.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So, why aren't void elves like, literally high elves with crazy void tatto's?

Or like, just that being an option, if they are going to hardline Void Elves?

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Because Void Elves are a race cranked out in an afternoon with threadbare plot because Blizzard realized that they are kind of late on demonstrating that the Void has any value whatsoever in this whole vapid "Light and Dark are both needed maaaaan" thing they seem to want to do.

So, yeah, fuck it. A handful of idiots who decided to use Void magic and in so doing endangered every living person in their city, that constitutes a faction.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Thorban wrote: »
    They've still got a ways to go. Frost Mages are still missing a level 60 talent and we're already in beta.

Prot warriors are missing three talents and an active mitigation ability. So are effectively incapable of performing their role. On top of that Ravager is still a level 100 talent that no one in their right mind has ever taken as Prot. Blizz have a very, very long way to go.

I like ravager on my prot but it's like me 11th alt so not like i do anything worthwhile on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

What we have on boths sides now is like 90% what a high elf would be right? I mean its just a slightly different cosmetic. It almost seems like people want it more because blizz is telling them no then actually caring.

But, I do openly admit I just don't understand. I am sure it is no different then someone who doesn't understand how someone could possibly like vanilla gameplay.

High Elves have consistently been the most requested Alliance race since Vanilla.

Yes, Vanilla.

Think about it this way, Warcraft 2 was when Blizzard really hit it big. Alleria(And High Elves) were the face of that faction alongside humans.

And then Blizzard made them Horde.

The equivalent move would be like making Trolls an Alliance Race, and I am sure that would go over well.

It has only been a waterfall of "fuck you's" since then, capped off by a nice garbage Void Elf sunday.

I mean Void Elves COULD have been a nice design, similar to Alleria's Blue Void tattoo's and theme, but instead we get somehow MORE edgy Blood Elves.

It's pretty great.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    high elves are boring anyway

like, we already have three more interesting flavors of elf, I don't understand why people want them so badly

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I bring you tidings of great joy.
    Strand of the Ancients has been removed in Battle for Azeroth.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762736077?page=1#5

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    I bring you tidings of great joy.
    Strand of the Ancients has been removed in Battle for Azeroth.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762736077?page=1#5

As a wise man once said,

https://youtu.be/_J6-3l3hCm0

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I guess you better grind out the SotA part of Battlemaster rq if you want the achievements.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Strand was okay in Wrath, but every expansion afterwards they didn't do the work to keep the mechanics balanced and it all got fucked.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

High Elves have consistently been the most requested Alliance race since Vanilla.

Yes, Vanilla.

Think about it this way, Warcraft 2 was when Blizzard really hit it big. Alleria(And High Elves) were the face of that faction alongside humans.

And then Blizzard made them Horde.

The equivalent move would be like making Trolls an Alliance Race, and I am sure that would go over well.

It has only been a waterfall of "fuck you's" since then, capped off by a nice garbage Void Elf sunday.

I mean Void Elves COULD have been a nice design, similar to Alleria's Blue Void tattoo's and theme, but instead we get somehow MORE edgy Blood Elves.

It's pretty great.

Blizzard’s hand was forced a bit because of the faction imbalances in vanilla. If blood elves had been alliance there would be no horde players at all.

I have always thought things really went off the rails with factions way back when they decided to nonsensically pair night elves with alliance and forsaken with horde based on very flimsy reasoning in vanilla. Which still is responsible for a lot of giant plot holes (why does my horde character help night elves in Zangarmarsh, Mount Hyjal, Valshara, etc while warring with them everywhere else? Why do tauren even bother sticking around when sylvanas is warchief?). I don’t know how to change that though without making things make less sense, though. I always thought an interesting approach would have been to make Horde be just orcs, trolls, and tauren and alliance just humans, dwarfs, and gnomes, then have night elves, blood elves, forsaken, and draenei all take the pandaran model and pick their own sides, but that would be such a different story over the years its hard to imagine.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Blood Elves joining the Horde was one of the only actually interesting story beats in early WoW. It defied expectations in a plausible way.

Night Elves and Forsaken being part of either faction was always a mistake probably. Especially Forsaken. Damn I miss WC3 Night Elves who were basically Warhammer Wood Elves, which is to say, assholes.

Instead they were stripped of all vestiges of a personality and turned into Vague Good Guys.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The elf-human romance thing is a thing, though. Aragorn and Arwen, Parn and Deedlet, hundreds of other examples in fiction. I know Mrs. Enc wasn't really happy with night elves and wanted to team up on alliance side as a high elf for most the time we played the game. She also hates the design of the void elves because aesthetics matters in a game where you roleplay a good bit.

It seems pretty clear that Belfs are with the Horde to provide a human-ish race for those wanting to not be something that looks like the villains in most fiction (minotaurs, orcs, trolls, zombies, etc.) which is really more of a design problem with the original horde. If Orcs had been designed to be more like what is being released now rather than what they were at launch, I doubt a lot of the balance problems with factions would be as pronounced.

• Options
    I honestly would be perfectly fine playing undead if we got the chinese models instead. But no, we have to have ripped armor which looks completely stupid. Yeah, my plate armor has jagged ripped edges because i have bones... Like make it a damned toggle or something in the barbershop at least, the artwork has already been done for it. That probably would have helped with having a humanoid race as well.

• Options
    Finished Legion raider. This moose is ugly.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »

Was more dissapointed that for a mount that takes a lot of time to get (since is two raids), it cannot fly.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I race changed to a void elf!

Screw your blonde blue eyed elves i'm gankutsuouing it up in this bitch.

Hehe I did it with my worgen warlock as well. The void elf look is really good for warlocks and the no pushback when getting hit is just a nice caster racial.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Why not just make all the races playable and factions fluid?

I actually would have 0 problem with that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Was more dissapointed that for a mount that takes a lot of time to get (since is two raids), it cannot fly.

Especially since last expansion gave you a flying moose just for killing one boss.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Why not just make all the races playable and factions fluid?

I actually would have 0 problem with that.

Same!

This discussion has been closed.