As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    sous vide for me has turned out to be a really neat gadget that i can do some pretty cool stuff with that i barely ever use and it feels like a huge waste of water just to cook myself a chicken breast for dinner

but i don't necessarily regret buying one

it definitely has its uses, and particularly things like batch cooking can be done really well with it, though

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    sous vide for me has turned out to be a really neat gadget that i can do some pretty cool stuff with that i barely ever use and it feels like a huge waste of water just to cook myself a chicken breast for dinner

it definitely has its uses, and particularly things like batch cooking can be done really well with it, though

I mean... you can reuse the water..?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

not as infrequently as i use the sous vide

that water smells pretty bad after cooking chicken in it

• Options

are you vacuum sealing the bags? It should still just be tap water after you're done unless the bag isn't sealed properly or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

are you vacuum sealing the bags? It should still just be tap water after you're done unless the bag isn't sealed properly or something.

are you bowensplaining sous vide to me right now

i'm not experiencing hysterical cooked chicken smell

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I'm a little nervous about how you're sousing your vide here. The only thing the cooking might do to the bath water is have some of it evaporate. Smell just shouldn't ever be a thing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    i use ziploc bags so that may be it but the smell is real and not worth keeping the water and not worth buying a vacuum sealer over

• Options
    I mean I'm bowensplaining because it shouldn't be happening, that water should be good indefinitely (most people that sous vide every day cycle it out every month).

• Options
    my guess is it's the ziploc bags, but regardless i don't really have kitchen space to store a few liters of water constantly either

• Options
    but aside from all that

i would recommend a sous vide cooker with the caveat that you're prepared to buy another kitchen gadget you can theoretically get a lot of use out of but probably won't get a lot of use out of once the charm wears off

• Options
    I feel like an instapot would be a better choice eh?

As much as I want a sous vide cooker I just don't know if I want to sit around for an hour and half while things cook. Slightly less perfect meals made in the oven are okay enough after 8+ hours of work.

• Options
    instant pot is far more versatile for sure, and can possibly even replace some kitchen gadgets you already have

i haven't tried, so i don't know if you can get baller ass spare ribs out of an instant pot like i did with my sous vide, but also i'm sure if you can it won't take 48 hours

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I have both an Anova Sous Vide and an Instant Pot and I definitely use my instant pot more. One thing I will say about the Instant Pot is the times in recipes are often inaccurate. They don't take into account how long something takes to get up to pressure (can be like 20 minutes) or natural release (can be another 20 minutes). So if a recipe says cook at pressure for 10 minutes, you will need to add 20 minutes to the front of that and maybe another 10-20 after unless you choose to do a quick release.

EDIT: and I have made some pretty good ribs in my instant pot in about an hour including coming to pressure, cook time, 10 minutes or release and then a brief broil after to carmelize.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Hello cooking thread, I've lurked this thread for months.

Should I get a sous vide circulator during post christmas sales this year? I live alone, and while I just about adore eating (everything, and the more potent flavors the better) I'm also a sports climber who regularly starves himself to stay thin. I eat a lot of quark, vegetables, chicken, and lately salmon.

I also fucking love chocolate, pastries, desserts and sweets but uh there's not a lot of those going around when counting calories. I guess I'm just wondering if cooking very simple things without a lot of oils/butter can be worth going to sous vide for, or if I should just save my cash and keep throwing stuff into the oven.

Edit: I'm also genuinly curious if a sous vide can really make a more flavorful vanilla custard than just cooking it.

Sous vide can do a lot of things, but without a vacuum sealer I find it's a bit more limited. Ziplock method works but not as well for some things.

I would say the #1 thing it does is cook really really great steaks. Like completely can't-fuck-them-up top tier steaks.
    Chicken I've found a bit hit or miss but that's mostly in you having to fiddle with the recipe a bit to get the texture you like best. When it works it's fantastic but it takes a bit of learning whereas steaks were like idiot proof.
    Salmon I've only tried once and it was alright but that may just be me needing to fiddle with the specific elements of the recipe a bit more.

In general I would say this for the average home cook:
    - Sous vide is primarily a tool for cooking proteins really well. Your meats and your eggs if you like them that way (I don't personally).
    - You can also use it for some vegetables or the like, although for a lot of these it seems like you need a vaccuum sealer to really get the proper results.
    - Beyond that there's some niche applications and that's it. It does a few deserts from what I've seen but only in a very limited range for obvious reasons.

As with any small appliance you basically have to look at the use-case for it and decide for yourself how often you are going to do that thing.

On the plus side a sous vide cooker takes up very little room all in all. Which is way better then most of these appliances (*cough*pizza oven*cough*).

• Options
    it is kind of funny they cooked four pizzas and couldn’t get an even heat distribution on half of them with an $800 appliance

Yeah, the big thing that stuck out to me here is the pizzas were coming out randomly uneven. That's kinda weird and makes me wonder about consistency in general.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I've successfully used mine to temper chocolate and to just generically melt chocolate down for making a ganache. Put pot in the water, set the temperature to 110 or so, put chocolate in the pot, go watch TV for a couple hours. Come back, stir things up and then stir in some room temp cream. Works well enough and I don't have to get all paranoid about bringing cream to a simmer on the stove.

Main thing for a sous vide is meats though, so if you're not banging on that you'd probably be better off with the instant pot.

I'm really tempted by that pizza cooker. Never mind it's stupid expensive, will take up too much space in my kitchen, and runs on the wrong voltage.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Hello cooking thread, I've lurked this thread for months.

Should I get a sous vide circulator during post christmas sales this year? I live alone, and while I just about adore eating (everything, and the more potent flavors the better) I'm also a sports climber who regularly starves himself to stay thin. I eat a lot of quark, vegetables, chicken, and lately salmon.

I also fucking love chocolate, pastries, desserts and sweets but uh there's not a lot of those going around when counting calories. I guess I'm just wondering if cooking very simple things without a lot of oils/butter can be worth going to sous vide for, or if I should just save my cash and keep throwing stuff into the oven.

Edit: I'm also genuinly curious if a sous vide can really make a more flavorful vanilla custard than just cooking it.

It depends both on what you're eating and what your schedule is like.

It's great for chicken breasts, good for chicken thighs (great if the thigh is skinless, less great otherwise as crisping up the fatty thigh skin still takes a good amount of pan time), and great for fish (crisping up fish skin still takes some pan time but not a ton). Fish especially lets you play with temperature and times to go anywhere from similar to lightly poached textures to more traditional medium done.

My schedule is such that I'm usually back home after work briefly before heading out for dance lessons/practice so plopping the food in the water bath means it's usually done when I get back. I tend to end up using it 3-5 nights a week. If you're hitting a climbing gym in the evening after work, I imagine you might be able to do the same.

As for the custard, probably not more flavorful. It'll cook more evenly but evaporating some of the liquid in a custard in a more traditional method means more flavor is in what's left.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I get a turkey from work tomorrow.

This is my plan:
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/cajun-brined-turkey-two-ways-recipe-2125928

But I was also thinking about dumping a can or two of ginger beer in the brine while I was at it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Still haven't decided.

I eat a lot of chicken breasts, and I'd be interested in doing a lot of fish as well. Sous vide also sounds perfect for tempering chocolate.

Hmm, an oven already does a pretty good job with chicken though, and you always have too many kitchen appliances. I'll have to give it some more thought. I don't think needing time to prepare is too big of a hurdle for me, like Steel Angel says I could put it on before going to the gym. Making extra in advance must be fine also? A sous vide:d chicken breast should hold in the fridge for a couple days no problem?

• Options

I eat a lot of chicken breasts, and I'd be interested in doing a lot of fish as well. Sous vide also sounds perfect for tempering chocolate.

Hmm, an oven already does a pretty good job with chicken though, and you always have too many kitchen appliances. I'll have to give it some more thought. I don't think needing time to prepare is too big of a hurdle for me, like Steel Angel says I could put it on before going to the gym. Making extra in advance must be fine also? A sous vide:d chicken breast should hold in the fridge for a couple days no problem?

yeah, cooked is cooked, it'll hold as well as preparing it any other way

• Options

Are you planning to eat it cold or warm or hot?

• Options
    assuming you're cooking at temps high enough to cook them through of course

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Usually I eat part of whatever I've prepared fresh, and stash 1-2 meals in the fridge to be reheated another time. Very rarely do I make a cold chicken sallad, not that they aren't tasty.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Usually I eat whatever I've prepared fresh, and stash 1-2 meals in the fridge to be reheated another time. Very rarely do I make a cold chicken sallad, not that they aren't tasty.

Reheating sous vide chicken is, like, you can do it but it kinda begs the question of why you bothered with sous vide because the whole point of the method is getting it perfectly cooked via precise temperature control.

I would definitely look up how long it lasts in the fridge and the like though, since you do have to be careful given the low temperatures you are working with. But probably chicken you are cooking at a high enough temp so that it'll be ok anyway.

• Options
    Some of the sous vide chicken recipes actually have you chill the chicken after cooking it. Then searing it in a pan. At least the chicken katsu recipe i did made you do that though it was breading and frying instead of searing.

steam_sig.png

• Options

The actual active cook time can be so minimal with sous vide that it's not much effort to just cook it same day. What I've often done is season and prepare everything on one night with anything I'm not eating that night going into the fridge. The bagged servings for each night just get taken out and go into the water baths before I head out and only need a brief sear when I get back home. And I do mean brief, like just 30 seconds per side on a piece of beef or chicken breast. For a few things I'll cook all of them sous vide at once but only sear what I'm eating that night with the rest going into the fridge to be seared the day I'm eating (e.g. chicken thighs with skin since that has enough time in the pan to crisp up the skin that it'll reheat in the process).

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I mean I'm bowensplaining because it shouldn't be happening, that water should be good indefinitely (most people that sous vide every day cycle it out every month).

I've been sous vide-ing for years. I use Foodsaver vacuum sealed bags. Can confirm the water gets stinky, particularly after a long or high temperature cook. The plastic in these bags is permeable, believe it or not, and some aromatic compounds can make their way across the plastic barrier resulting in smelly water. This is why a Foodsaver bag will not save you from the drug sniffing dogs.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ah yeah most plastic bags are air permeable to some degree it looks like. Not sure why the people who cook so often go a month without changing it out that seems wacky then.

• Options
    Ah yeah most plastic bags are air permeable to some degree it looks like. Not sure why the people who cook so often go a month without changing it out that seems wacky then.

A month is longer than I've ever heard of though I'm not really looking for that info. Once a week or maybe two weeks is common among the food writers who've discussed it and what I normally do to.

It does depend on what and how you've been cooking things though. The water bath I used to cook some short ribs for 2 days definitely has an odor to it as well as something dissolved in it making it cloudy. The water I've used to reheat the ribs for much shorter times the last two nights has no such odor. I'll have to investigate if there's a noticeable odor after a full week or so.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You could try double bagging. As long as you minimize the air in between, it shouldn't affect cooking times too much.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Or he could just change the water. Leaving lukewarm water standing around for days at a time and the involving it in food preparation sounds like a great recipe for getting really sick sooner or later.

• Options
    yeah, i mean, regardless of the smell i would not be leaving the water sitting around anyway

i have nowhere to keep it and i don't want it

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    it is kind of funny they cooked four pizzas and couldn’t get an even heat distribution on half of them with an $800 appliance

The device is designed to imitate the effects of a wood fired oven that costs 10 times that amount, but portable and electric so it's a lot more convenient. You're dealing with enough heat to cook the pizza in 2 minutes, so the margin of error is going to take some practice. The only way to get it to heat that quickly with a conventional outlet is by putting the heat sources extremely close, so you're dealing with the inverse square law where small deviations in distance can result in large deviations in heat.

• Options

The device is designed to imitate the effects of a wood fired oven that costs 10 times that amount, but portable and electric so it's a lot more convenient. You're dealing with enough heat to cook the pizza in 2 minutes, so the margin of error is going to take some practice. The only way to get it to heat that quickly with a conventional outlet is by putting the heat sources extremely close, so you're dealing with the inverse square law where small deviations in distance can result in large deviations in heat.

right

which to me sounds like spending a lot of money on something that won’t actually work very well instead of spending a lot more money on something that works well

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    well now. I just made my first batch of drop-biscuit dough with White Lily flour @Blameless Cleric @Donkey Kong @skippydumptruck I think was also a part of that conversation in [chat] about the difference in White Lily vs other flours for biscuit-making.
    Impression: needed less liquid for the same recipe I've been making for 25 years, and the batter is slightly more acidic than usual as well. really turned into the sort of thing I remember from being a kid....

This could be it, folks. Different flour really could be the thing that makes the difference between good and amazing.

So, how it went: accidentally put in too much baking powder, texture like a cake, taste like tinfoil.

not great.

HOWEVER

I tried again today and they are notably lighter, puffier, more tasty than usual! The flour really does make a difference, and these biscuits are better than they have been before. :)

• Options
    ok spool your next revelation will be using baking powder that’s not made from aluminum salts

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    First ever grilled Tritip steak for new years dinner for me and my girlfriend, my dad's specialty before he passed away last year, and I think he would have been proud of how mine turned out. I thought I overcooked it at first because it was my first time reverse-searing and I wasn't prepared for how quick the temperature climbs when you move it to the hot side of the grill, but it came out a perfect medium rare.
    y28pZr7.jpg

Did it the nice and simple way my dad used to, a rub of just salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried minced onion about 30-45m before it goes onto the grill. Cook on the low-heat side of the grill about 15m per side until the internal temperature is about 115, move to the high heat side, cook about 2-4 minutes per side until it's about 130-135 internally and has a nice crust. Tasted amazing, can't wait to get even better at it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Also, I tried to google this but I couldn't find the right terms to find the exact answer I was looking for...

What's the maximum safe time between buying meat at a grocery store and getting it home and into your fridge? I take a bus home from work, and there's supermarkets near the bus stop, but I'm worried about picking up some meat to cook and taking it on the 30-40 minute bus ride home unless I'm pre-planning with an insulated bag and an ice pack.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    30-40m will be fine

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Also, I tried to google this but I couldn't find the right terms to find the exact answer I was looking for...

What's the maximum safe time between buying meat at a grocery store and getting it home and into your fridge? I take a bus home from work, and there's supermarkets near the bus stop, but I'm worried about picking up some meat to cook and taking it on the 30-40 minute bus ride home unless I'm pre-planning with an insulated bag and an ice pack.

Often for roasts, they recommend taking it out of your fridge and letting it warm up on the counter for about an hour so you should be totally fine unless you are resting it on a heating vent in the bus :)

steam_sig.png