[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Raiden that looks awesome :)

I love it when I hit something that feels like perfection, it's one of my favorite things about cooking

CarpyRaiden333CauldV1m
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I have a whole bunch of basil that's ready to harvest so I bought some parmesan cheese and pine nuts.

Who has the best ratios/recipes for pesto??

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Burtletoy check out the Cook Club thread in SE. in the 2nd post is all the stuff we've done so far and there's some pesto recipes in there.

skippydumptruck
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 10
    I wish someone told me Kenji Lopez-Alt had a youtube channel sooner instead of discovering it via youtube recommendations. I've just started a batch of pickles based on this video:

Hopefully I won't die of botulism in 2 weeks.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    VishNubCarpy
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 10
    I wish someone told me Kenji Lopez-Alt had a youtube channel sooner instead of discovering it via youtube recommendations. I've just started a batch of pickles based on this video:

Hopefully I won't die of botulism in 2 weeks.

My understanding is that even though the environment is anaerobic, it's also acidic and/or salty, plus swarming with other bacteria, so botulism bacteria can't swarm properly. Canning is associated with botulism because a lot of canned foods aren't salty or acidic, and the canning process kills off the competition. (Botulism bacteria can survive higher temperatures than most, so not going as hot as you're supposed to when canning a non-salty or acidic food is basically the worst idea possible.)

I will note that this is one area where you actually need to follow a recipe. Do not mess with the ratio of anything that's not obviously flavoring, and use your scale. (The calcium chloride used in this video is important, and is not just for flavor.)

EDIT: This page looks trustworthy, and has a nice video specifically on safety:
    https://extension.umn.edu/preserving-and-preparing/how-make-fermented-pickles

evilmrhenry on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I really like his youtube channel. I especially like his late night series where he makes a snack or something in like 5 minutes. But, all of his videos are really good. I appreciate his general attitude regarding cooking.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 10
    OK cooking thread I need assistance.

I want to make Kimchi pancakes! This is specifically @syndalis's fault for taking us to korean bbq in NY.

I have some kimchi. I have what I assume is all the other ingredients according to a couple of sites I've read. But I have concerns so far with all the places I've looked:

Recipes keep telling me to
    1: mix the flour, salt, and water
    2: whisk to combine (?)
    3: then add egg and kimchi and liquid from the jar (??)
    4: then some ice cubes so the batter is cold (?????)
    5: then add the chilis or whatever else is going in

does this make any sense to people? Every other batter I've ever made goes like

1: the dry things
    2: the wet things mixed together separately
    3: the wet into the dry
    4: fold in the whatevers
    5: don't put extra water in it

Is this being done for a reason or do I just need to find a non-crazy recipe? Anyone know?

spool32 on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 10
    spool32 wrote: »
    OK cooking thread I need assistance.

I want to make Kimchi pancakes! This is specifically @syndalis's fault for taking us to korean bbq in NY.

I have some kimchi. I have what I assume is all the other ingredients according to a couple of sites I've read. But I have concerns so far with all the places I've looked:

Recipes keep telling me to
    1: mix the flour, salt, and water
    2: whisk to combine (?)
    3: then add egg and kimchi and liquid from the jar (??)
    4: then some ice cubes so the batter is cold (?????)
    5: then add the chilis or whatever else is going in

does this make any sense to people? Every other batter I've ever made goes like

1: the dry things
    2: the wet things mixed together separately
    3: the wet into the dry
    4: fold in the whatevers
    5: don't put extra water in it

Is this being done for a reason or do I just need to find a non-crazy recipe? Anyone know?

I was with that recipe until the ice cubes. I guess it might help if you want to use high heat to really crisp up the outside without the inside cooking as quickly but I can't imagine it making that big a difference since you can just use cold water and the kimchi and its brine are likely cold from being in the fridge.

Everything else checks out though. I see a lot of batters that mix wet and dry ingredients together throughout, especially in recipes written by professional bakers and pastry chefs. Sugar especially is usually thrown in with butter/cream cheese and the wet ingredients due to the importance of using it to cream the butter. Flour is consistently kept separate until the later stages though, presumably due to not wanting gluten to form networks too soon.

For a less crazy recipe, here's one with no ice cubes I've used a few times: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/quick-kimchi-pancakes

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    spool32Organichu
    If you make pancakes from a box, even the non-quick kind where you add three ingredients instead of just water, come with all the dry stuff mixed. That seems fine.

Ice cubes? Dunno

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I need to make bean dip more often, super easy to make real good dip and it's easy to free style the recipe.

2 cans black beans (1 drained)
    Juiced 3 limes
    Cumin
    A couple Chipotles
    Garlic powder
    Some tomato paste

Toss everything but the drained beans in the blender and puree it up, add the drained beans and puree again.

A can of bean liquid plus the limes leaves the consistency slightly looser than I'd prefer but if I leave out any liquid than it gets thicker than my breville can handle. I've done good variants with just various chili powders if you don't want to mess with chipotles. I keep meaning to pick up some dried guajillos and anchos to replace the chipotle but I never remember when I'm out at the store.

ChanusMugsley
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    i've been doing things like this. experimenting with different kinds of beans to make essentially hummus, i guess you could call it bean dip

i did one with red kidney beans and cajun spices that came out pretty tasty

**Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    CarpyIncenjucar
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I have a lot of rendered beef fat. Any low carb ideas for what I can use it for?

it occurs to me everything i would use it for would be in fact high carb

VishNubKamiroStabbity Stylespool32
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit At the edge of spacetime lies a path with no end.Registered User regular
    I have a lot of rendered beef fat. Any low carb ideas for what I can use it for?

Confit sous vide ribeye?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    Maguano
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    it occurs to me everything i would use it for would be in fact high carb

yeah coming up with getting deep frying of (thing), which usually means breading, though not necessarily

or poached in oil/fat. I've never seen that with animal products though.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Resting meat in fat can improve flavor.

https://www.eater.com/2019/3/12/18258558/eye-of-round-terrible-beef-fat-video

According to these guys it doesn't do much for texture, but it's eye of round... what a dumpster cut.

V1m
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You could use the tallow for stir frying veggies.

steam_sig.png
    That_Guy wrote: »

yeah i mean you could use it anywhere you'd use fat, but i'm not sure how much you'd need to be concerned about smoke point

fake edit apparently it's around 400° so probably not much of a concern

edited October 9
    Chanus wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

yeah i mean you could use it anywhere you'd use fat, but i'm not sure how much you'd need to be concerned about smoke point

fake edit apparently it's around 400° so probably not much of a concern

Yeah, tallow should have a higher smoke point than most veggie fats.

That_Guy on
    steam_sig.png
    V1m
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Vege tables?????

VishNub wrote: »
    Vege tables?????

3im4l9hzagca.png

steam_sig.png
    Chanus
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Yeah roasting broccoli and brussels sprouts in beef fat sounds like a good time. You could also deep fry some Korean style fried chicken, since the 'breading' is just corn starch.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Embrace the carbs and make yorkshire puddings.

Stabbity Style
    One of the issues with stir frying is that tallow can quickly become waxy as it cools. That's fine for deep fried when you want a crust, especially for carbs, but can be unpleasant if the fat is stored to be more like a sauce.

I guess i can mix ot with another oil to thin it down, though.

Holy crap, I just learn this product exists today...

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Make that thing as a full-sized oven and I'll be interested. Wall mounted or free standing, either one. Countertop sized? Pass.

CampyStabbity StyleBurtletoyAbsoluteZero
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Make that thing as a full-sized oven and I'll be interested. Wall mounted or free standing, either one. Countertop sized? Pass.

Ain't nobody got counter space for that.

SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    MugsleyOrca
    i've seen ads for that and it's a neat idea for sure

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm more excited about the steam. Home steam-injection ovens would be huge for home bakers.

dispatch.o
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm more excited about the steam. Home steam-injection ovens would be huge for home bakers.

Definitely. Just give it to me in a full-sized oven.

ChanusDoodmannCptHamilton
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Is it even possible to buy an integrated 30" range with combi oven from any manufacturer? Googling only shows in wall mounted combi ovens, even then those are $3k+

If Trump loses, I wonder if chamber vacuums will become affordable again (tariffs).

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 18
    Made some jaegerschnitzel w/ spaetzle. Gravy could've turned out a bit better, in the past I've cooked up some bacon beforehand and then used some of the grease as a base instead of the butter I used here. Also I'd chop the bacon up and add it back in. So it ended up being more of a bacon gravy instead of the more generic creamy brown gravy I've got here. That said, it's still delicious. Pretty pleased with how the schnitzel turned out, too. Frying stuff always makes me uneasy, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Started out with the heat a bit too high, but I dialed it back and the rest of them cooked like a breeze (that was one of the better ones). I've never had this brand of spaetzle before, either, but it tasted good. I think the noodle size is a bit unwieldy, though. Previous spaetzle brands I've used were in smaller, more manageable pieces.

P7EAVhD.jpg?1

Also, took like half the evening. I don't know if it was worth all the time, tbh. Could've cut it down if I was cooking all the stuff simultaneously, but I can only keep so much stuff going by myself without stuff ending up burnt.

Stabbity Style on
    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    Banzai5150CormacAbsoluteZeroChanusSteel AngelV1mspool32Ed GrubermanNaphtali
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Made some jaegerschnitzel w/ spaetzle. Gravy could've turned out a bit better, in the past I've cooked up some bacon beforehand and then used some of the grease as a base instead of the butter I used here. Also I'd chop the bacon up and add it back in. So it ended up being more of a bacon gravy instead of the more generic creamy brown gravy I've got here. That said, it's still delicious. Pretty pleased with how the schnitzel turned out, too. Frying stuff always makes me uneasy, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Started out with the heat a bit too high, but I dialed it back and the rest of them cooked like a breeze (that was one of the better ones). I've never had this brand of spaetzle before, either, but it tasted good. I think the noodle size is a bit unwieldy, though. Previous spaetzle brands I've used were in smaller, more manageable pieces.

P7EAVhD.jpg?1

Also, took like half the evening. I don't know if it was worth all the time, tbh. Could've cut it down if I was cooking all the stuff simultaneously, but I can only keep so much stuff going by myself without stuff ending up burnt.

Lover Jaeger schnitzel! The hunters gravy is what makes it the best choice!

1258853.png
    Stabbity StyleDoodmann
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So I have a herby conundrum I need some help with...

Ahead of cooking a large batch of chilli, I reupped my supply of oregano. Only to find upon opening the pack that it smelled minty as oppose to the spicy lemony scent of every other pack I've bought.

My google-fu has turned up a singular website that talks about Italian vs Greek oregano, where the former has a minty flavour more suited to puddings and tea than the savoury dishes I'd hoped to make. Interestingly it mentions that growing the herb in an arid climate will lead to a more pepperminty flavour; seeing as my package is labelled as coming from Iran, than this kinda makes sense.

What's perturbing me is the lack of corroborating info on this whole mintiness lark. Everywhere else seems to talk about Italian oregano as simply being a milder flavour. Until googling around, the mint flavour was so strong I was genuinely convinced that the manufacturer had mislabelled a batch of mint.

Anyone have any insight into this?

i only knew about the difference between mexican and mediterranean oregano but mint flavor never played into that

V1mCampyCauld
    edited October 20
    .edit

Burtletoy on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good chamber vacuum sealer? Looking to upgrade from the ol' foodsaver so I can vacuum seal liquids.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Can anyone recommend a good chamber vacuum sealer? Looking to upgrade from the ol' foodsaver so I can vacuum seal liquids.

I would wait at least 6 months, per my earlier post, assuming Trump loses.

The price of chamber sealers shot up hundreds of dollars due to the Trump tariffs. VacMaster used to have one that sold for $400-$500, but they discontinued that model and their next cheaper one sells for twice that much. Unfortunately, it might not be cost effective for them to have consumer models while the tariffs are still in place.

Their are alternative companies out there, but they aren't as well known, and they're going to be just as effected by the tariffs as VacMaster.

Thanks, Trump.

I'm experimenting with making my own pasta, but I'm trying to find recommendations for the right thickness for different types of sauces. Can anyone recommend any resources?