As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choosy moms choose [GIF] (nsf56k)

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Yes, this is Polybridge:

https://gifsound.com/?gif=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fnccx9xc04ut01.gif&v=1vU7XqToZso&s=22
    I expect everyone to know what music that is before they click that link.

I was expecting this but then I might be broken

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Yes, this is Polybridge:

https://gifsound.com/?gif=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fnccx9xc04ut01.gif&v=1vU7XqToZso&s=22
    I expect everyone to know what music that is before they click that link.

I was expecting this but then I might be broken

https://gifsound.com/?gif=https://i.redd.it/nccx9xc04ut01.gif&v=mzDVaKRApcg&s=15

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

this is an apex predator

housecats are not apex predators

zlblqa08p5jk.png

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    l
    Goatmon wrote: »

this is an apex predator

Domestic cats usually have no natural predators, so yeah they are.

ZOv75tl.png

you're using two different definitions here, but it doesn't matter because neither of them work

cats have plenty of natural predators (coyotes, certain large birds of prey), they just nearly always have a safe place to run to, or their predators' range doesn't overlap with theirs, because they're domesticated

"most profligate killer" isn't something I've ever heard of when evaluating something as an apex predator, but in pretty much every area that cats live, that's going to be humans

basically, classifying any domesticated animal as an apex predator is silly, they're not interacting with the food chain in the same way as any wild animal

their closest wild relative, the African Wildcat, is not an apex predator

Shorty on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Who thought this was a good idea?!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I kneel before our grabby-armed flying robot overlords.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Damn flying chair thieves. They're a menace to all innocent lawn furniture owners!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    At least MIB3 was pretty good...

I loved MIB3. Boris was a fantastic villain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovjAZVtVs0.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Would it be risky for a kitchen to have sprinklers?

most commercial kitchens have chemical fire retardant systems, and are cal
    Goatmon wrote: »

this is an apex predator

Domestic cats usually have no natural predators, so yeah they are.

ZOv75tl.png

you're using two different definitions here, but it doesn't matter because neither of them work

cats have plenty of natural predators (coyotes, certain large birds of prey), they just nearly always have a safe place to run to, or their predators' range doesn't overlap with theirs, because they're domesticated

"most profligate killer" isn't something I've ever heard of when evaluating something as an apex predator, but in pretty much every area that cats live, that's going to be humans

basically, classifying any domesticated animal as an apex predator is silly, they're not interacting with the food chain in the same way as any wild animal

their closest wild relative, the African Wildcat, is not an apex predator

Apex predator is not a universal Y/N thing for an animal -- its based on the ecosystem and food chain involved, and can change over time. A type of animal can be an apex predator in one ecosystem and not in another. For example, bats are generally not apex predators in most situations, but on certain islands or within cave systems, they can be. Coyotes are apex predators in areas where wolves and bears have been extirpated. House cats, in their typical urban ecosystem (which is definitely a thing) are, in fact, apex predators.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    There are like 3 definitions for apex predator, depending on what you're trying to use to define it.

Non sciency people use the "how bad ass is the predator" while biological ones use the trophic level method (where humans range anywhere from basically barely above cows/pigs to essentially top of the food chain) and the third one just goes by "does this animal have a natural predator in most cases?"

So if you use the real statistics/science heavy method for determining apex, a lot of the top end species (like humans) are essentially not apex predators. It's all about where you exist in the food chain and the lack of efficiency away from plants. The more species in the way, the more "apex" you are. An animal with good defenses that is 8 times removed from the plant trophic level (let's say we had a porcupine like species that was eating massive amounts of fish) could essentially be "more apex" than a lion.

Humans are special because our efficiency with food has essentially removed us from the apex predator calculation even though we are the apex predator of apex predators. So much so we've actually domesticated several other apex predators. I had this discussion in another thread earlier, but, in a survival situation with the gloves off, humans would destroy everything. Hell we've done it in the past, we outcompeted the North American lion and pushed them to extinction because we were better hunters than they were. We also outcompete wolves. And Also bears.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Turbulent landing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    pilots do not get paid enough

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I was waiting for the camera to pan over to the other pilot who was actually flying the plane.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Fly-By-Wire is an amazing invention

• Options
    The fun thing about fly-by-wire is the system will add tremors and vibrations so it feels real to pilots that are used to older systems.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

I'm not sure any profession has quite a gap between the perception of how much they make versus how much they actually make as pilots.

Also he's using every appendage he has there. Off-camera his right arm is on the throttle, and his feet are on the rudder pedals.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

commercial pilots make well over 100k

that is a lot of money

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    "Nah fam, I ain't about that" -that pool cover probably

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Kinda reminds me of this gif:

• Options
    edited April 2018

that is a lot of money

no, median pay for commercial pilots is about 70k

I know because I spent a few minutes researching that number before I made that post

pilots of large jetliners make over 100k, but that isn't what most commercial pilots fly, despite dealing with essentially the same risks

e: ALSO they have a huge amount of responsibility placed on them, have a ridiculously hyperfocused and advanced skillset, have to meet rigorous licensing standards, and generally don't have careers that last to 65

I very much believe they are worth more

Shorty on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Also, the training costs are extensive and unless you were an Air Force pilot, you'll probably have to pay for it out of pocket. To even get hired at a regional, you need somewhere around 800 hours of flying. Getting an Airline Transport Pilot certificate is the culmination of five levels of certificates (private pilot, instrument, complex, commercial, ATP) that essentially wind up costing somewhere around a college education at a good school. Getting hired at a regional will pay somewhere around $20k-$40k a year. After you get to 1500-2000 hours at a regional, you may be able to move up to one of the big airlines. Starting salary at the big airlines is pretty livable as long as you're not on a coast, and as you advance in your career you can kind of decide what to make it of it. Pilot pay depends on your seniority, types of planes you can fly, and if you're a captain or first officer. A captain of a big jetliner (747, 777, A380) flying international routes easily makes north of 6-figures. If you look up average salary for pilots, these are the guys driving the average up. A newly minted first officer flying domestic routes still makes somewhere around $60k-$80k. Again, though, this is after years of training and flying for the regionals.

Flying for a regional is the pits, in addition to the terrible pay. All the airline hubs you'll fly out of are located in major cities, but you won't get paid enough to afford to live there. What some people do is either have a "crash pad" for when they're flying, or you can deadhead on a flight from where you live that's affordable to your duty station.

This is all provided the airlines don't go bankrupt or merge. If the former happens, they'll furlough pilots and you'll have to decide if you want to get a different job, where you'll be back on the bottom of the pay scales, or hold out and hope you can go back to work. If your airline merges with another, a fight will play out if the pilot unions at the two airlines are different. If you work for the airline that gets acquired, hopefully your union can preserve your position in the seniority list in the combined airline.

Right now is a relatively good time to be a pilot, though. The airlines are actually making money these days*. Even with the mergers, there's not enough pilots to go around, so some of the regionals are offering slight pay increases and offering to offset training costs. Note that this isn't the cost of all the training you went through to get your ATP, this just means the cost of learning how to fly regional jets (which you otherwise would've had to pay for even after you started working for the regional). Since the big airlines need to replace guys who are reaching the mandatory retirement age, the hours needed to get hired at a major airline are also slightly down.

*: Of course, all it takes is another recession to reverse this.

ASimPerson on
  • Options

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

that is a lot of money

It costs more to become a commercial heavy airline pilot than it does to become a doctor, at least here in Australia. If you want to be aiming 737s at the ground you're gonna be at least a quarter of a million dollars in the hole easily before your first pax-full flight in a big jet.

EDIT: Welp, Shorty and ASimPerson said it earlier and better than me.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options

I want that box.

• Options
    I would be 100% okay for someone to make a law that gives pilots a base wage (like 100k tied to inflation), plus something like commission for however many seats are filled, plus risk pay for flying above 8 hours a day.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

that is a lot of money

It costs more to become a commercial heavy airline pilot than it does to become a doctor, at least here in Australia. If you want to be aiming 737s at the ground you're gonna be at least a quarter of a million dollars in the hole easily before your first pax-full flight in a big jet.

EDIT: Welp, Shorty and ASimPerson said it earlier and better than me.

Should note that most US pilots get their training and flight hours in the military. Doing it privately is not really a viable path economically here.

Not aiming to diminish the cost of going that route though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

that is a lot of money

I know because I spent a few minutes researching that number before I made that post

pilots of large jetliners make over 100k, but that isn't what most commercial pilots fly, despite dealing with essentially the same risks

e: ALSO they have a huge amount of responsibility placed on them, have a ridiculously hyperfocused and advanced skillset, have to meet rigorous licensing standards, and generally don't have careers that last to 65

I found out that astronauts make about the same median

I jockey a desk making websites pretty and I make more than an astronaut

Something is wrong here

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

that is a lot of money

I found out that astronauts make about the same median

I jockey a desk making websites pretty and I make more than an astronaut

Something is wrong here

Aspirational jobs like pilot and astronaut pay for shit because they're things people desperately want to do, but there's no celebrity that goes along with it. If we as a society revered astronauts the way we revere rock stars, then they'd all earn tens of millions of dollars per year.

• Options
    I think it was David Graeber who pointed out that right now, the component of any job that carries the obvious social worth is considered to be part of the compensation--"oh, you get to do something that matters? you're so fortunate!"

the result is that the people doing the most important work are also some of the most unfairly compensated

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    If earnings were based on the importance of people's work, there'd suddenly be a whole lot more poverty.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I think it was David Graeber who pointed out that right now, the component of any job that carries the obvious social worth is considered to be part of the compensation--"oh, you get to do something that matters? you're so fortunate!"

the result is that the people doing the most important work are also some of the most unfairly compensated

see: teachers

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    If earnings were based on the importance of people's work, there'd suddenly be a whole lot more poverty.

yes, most people do bullshit work, because that's currently the kind of work that gets paid

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Nah I think we'd just see a whole lot more people who were willing to clean toilets and fewer people who wanted to do shit like, be a lobbyist.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

I should have known that g00d_b0y_360 was too good to be human.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Good boys get chicken dinners.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Oh, and a new take on a classic:

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.