As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here [chat] the Mummies

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    TLJ was great

Suck it nerds

There’s a whole thread to nitpick the movie to death already anyway

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I am in line for the third day of PAX SOUTH. Woo!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Can someone lay out for me why low pressure is more dangerous than high pressure? In the sense that being in space is rapidly a bad thing, but we can dive to many many times atmospheric pressure if we do it right.

Space: The difference is 1 atmosphere to 0. Dive: Let's say the difference is 1 atmosphere to 10. Space bad, diving ok.

My fan theory is that there is nowhere we would run into an effectively 0 pressure environment at any time during life developing to us being alive. While there are depths and reasons to dive them all over the place.

Pressure drops below a certain threshold and oxygen that's being transported in the blood stops getting to where it needs to go because it's not longer under the pressure it needs to be under in order to be transported. Structurally you'll be fine unless you try to hold your breath and you'll be usefully conscious for 10 seconds or so. But after that things go rapidly downhill.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You know what's a good movie though? 10 Cloverfield Lane.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I've been on the receiving end of people nitpicking about TLJ things that don't make sense and I think I've landed on this now:
    It's a matiné film, a noon-on-saturday adventure movie like Indiana Jones. It has that specific style in droves. To be a standout excellent film in that mold it doesn't need to make any sense at all. It's just a great adventure.

but great adventures kinda do have to make a little sense? otherwise it's not... an adventure just a succession of various people doing things for strange and unknown reasons

Nooooooooope

Also it's not like the whole movie doesn't make any sense, there just are several things to talk about.
    p much all the conflict and drama made no sense - apart from "I am being stupid solely to create plot" - and that was very hard to ignore

I don't know what specific reason didn't make sense in this particular case since it's a broad point. Like on the broadest possible level to motivate the general set-up, if that's what you're referring to, there was an in movie explanation, maybe not great but it was there.
    blue hair lady, mainly

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Anyway the real answer is that The Last Jedi was just okay, like every other movie with a budget of $200+ million.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    TLJ was not great, it's true

spoilers
    overall it felt like the 3 big situations they cycle through were not compelling enough to last as long as they did
    it was super weird how they were also all pretty much the same situation. Played three times. That was really really odd.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I've been on the receiving end of people nitpicking about TLJ things that don't make sense and I think I've landed on this now:
    It's a matiné film, a noon-on-saturday adventure movie like Indiana Jones. It has that specific style in droves. To be a standout excellent film in that mold it doesn't need to make any sense at all. It's just a great adventure.

but great adventures kinda do have to make a little sense? otherwise it's not... an adventure just a succession of various people doing things for strange and unknown reasons

Nooooooooope

Also it's not like the whole movie doesn't make any sense, there just are several things to talk about.
    p much all the conflict and drama made no sense - apart from "I am being stupid solely to create plot" - and that was very hard to ignore

I don't know what specific reason didn't make sense in this particular case since it's a broad point. Like on the broadest possible level to motivate the general set-up, if that's what you're referring to, there was an in movie explanation, maybe not great but it was there.
    blue hair lady, mainly

No
    Her arc was fine, she just didn’t realize how far the manbaby would go to undermine her efforts

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    TLJ was great

Suck it nerds

we're not nitpicking anything.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Seal wrote: »
    Can someone lay out for me why low pressure is more dangerous than high pressure? In the sense that being in space is rapidly a bad thing, but we can dive to many many times atmospheric pressure if we do it right.

Space: The difference is 1 atmosphere to 0. Dive: Let's say the difference is 1 atmosphere to 10. Space bad, diving ok.

My fan theory is that there is nowhere we would run into an effectively 0 pressure environment at any time during life developing to us being alive. While there are depths and reasons to dive them all over the place.

Pressure drops below a certain threshold and oxygen that's being transported in the blood stops getting to where it needs to go because it's not longer under the pressure it needs to be under in order to be transported. Structurally you'll be fine unless you try to hold your breath and you'll be usefully conscious for 10 seconds or so. But after that things go rapidly downhill.

I feel like there needs to be a more detailed reason for some reason?

Like if you dive to 10 atmospheres and take your blood pressure is it 10 times normal? I feel what I'm lacking is how the body cannot cope with the low pressure, whereas the high pressure is fine.

• Options
    edited January 2018

There’s a REASON I stopped going to the Star Wars thread

Neco on
  • Options

Nooooooooope

blue hair lady, mainly

No
    Her arc was fine, she just didn’t realize how far the manbaby would go to undermine her efforts
    she was the worst written character. That whole conflict came about solely because she doesn't go "so, guys, here's the plan" for no conceivable reason other than,
    let's make plot I'm a bad writer!

and I can't fucking stand that in writing it is the woooooorst

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

My office Is a 0 atmosphere zone. No pressure.

• Options

Nooooooooope

blue hair lady, mainly

No
    she was the worst written character. That whole conflict came about solely because she doesn't go "so, guys, here's the plan" for no conceivable reason other than,

She didn’t tell the guy who just got demoted for failing to retreat that her plan was to retreat, thats...not that unreasonable?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    whose fault

whose fault

the san andreas fault

this song was stuck in my head the entire time i was cycling

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Nooooooooope

blue hair lady, mainly

No

I actually don't understand the point at all. She's wildly ranked above Poe and why is this the only movie where an admiral is required to explain their plan to a fighter pilot, let alone the whole crew? Not only that but they're facing total annihilation and someone out of the hundreds of people might be inclined to turn coat to save themselves. She should have told an obnoxious fighter pilot 15 ranks below her the secret plan to mitigate him mutineering?

There are a bunch of things I would nitpick but this is one of the points I literally don't understand at all.

• Options
    Wow I didn't know that according to Wikipedia not adjusted for inflation John Carter is the fifth most expensive movie of all time. That's quite a fuckup

• Options

Like if you dive to 10 atmospheres and take your blood pressure is it 10 times normal? I feel what I'm lacking is how the body cannot cope with the low pressure, whereas the high pressure is fine.

essentially: without air pressure, lungs work in reverse, removing oxygen from your blood. That's the main reason.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TLJ was great

Suck it nerds

It's actually locked right now since it was only nitpicking

• Options

essentially: without air pressure, lungs work in reverse, removing oxygen from your blood. That's the main reason.

Ah! That's easy enough to grasp the concept of, thank you.

This is one of those things where movies have different opinions on how bad it is to be exposed to space and I've never really landed on what would happen.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    According to Diogenes Laërtius, when Plato gave the tongue-in-cheek[26] definition of man as "featherless bipeds," Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man," and so the Academy added "with broad flat nails" to the definition.[27]

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    TLJ was great

Suck it nerds

Maybe we can all take a clue from that and let this discussion rest for now

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    TLJ was great

Suck it nerds

Lol I didn’t realize that

• Options
    But also sorry if I sound angry, I actually edited one of my posts already for sounding more aggro than I intended to sound.

I still love you all even when you’re wrong about stuff on the internet <3

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    wonder what they would've said of a plucked gorilla

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Trace wrote: »
    According to Diogenes Laërtius, when Plato gave the tongue-in-cheek[26] definition of man as "featherless bipeds," Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man," and so the Academy added "with broad flat nails" to the definition.[27]

They should have just accepted the the chicken as a man and given the chicken a position.

Couscous on
  • Options

Nooooooooope

blue hair lady, mainly

No

I actually don't understand the point at all. She's wildly ranked above Poe and why is this the only movie where an admiral is required to explain their plan to a fighter pilot, let alone the whole crew? Not only that but they're facing total annihilation and someone out of the hundreds of people might be inclined to turn coat to save themselves. She should have told an obnoxious fighter pilot 15 ranks below her the secret plan to mitigate him mutineering?

There are a bunch of things I would nitpick but this is one of the points I literally don't understand at all.
    because they actually did talk about it

if they never had the conversation, that would be a lot better but what we got was some utter shite about hope, and not knowing, and how that's important, instead of, I dunno,
    for example, "fuck off, I actually have a plan" because she didn't fail to explain the plan she failed to mention the existence of one

incidentally explaining plans is actually most of what officers do, it's kind of the essence of it really. It being a secret was also stupid.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    People freezing into icicles in space is bullshit right? Like in the immediate term at least.

IIRC we radiate 100W or something, seems like it would take a long time to freeze just from radiating since there's no medium to float around in.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    john wick

i love those movies

i don't want anyone else to make anything like it though

but john wick is mine

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    john wick

i love those movies

i don't want anyone else to make anything like it though

but john wick is mine

No

Jean Wack

Starring Alex Winter

Coming soon

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    the lack of diversity in new england is killing me. where the latinas at

• Options
    People freezing into icicles in space is bullshit right? Like in the immediate term at least.

IIRC we radiate 100W or something, seems like it would take a long time to freeze just from radiating since there's no medium to float around in.

yeah it would take a while

your eyes, mouth and nose would lose quite a bit of heat quite fast as the moisture boils off but that's just on the surface

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

New York?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

The risk of high blood pressure isn’t that the number is high, it’s that the difference between inside your circulatory system and outside is high. That differential puts mechanical strain on your heart, arteries, and veins, increasing the risk of mechanical damage to blood vessels, clots forming in damaged areas, clots breaking loose and going somewhere they shouldn’t (embolism, stroke), or failure of a blood vessel’s walls (aneurism), etc.

If you’re in a high pressure environment and the pressure on your whole body is really high, well that’s no big deal. Your tissues are either non-compressible or gas-permeable, so you’ll just adjust to also exist in this pressure. The pressure differential inside and outside all your various tissues should remain constant to what it was at sea level, with no added mechanical strain on anything.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Oh sorry I guess you wanted more of a New Jersey/New York thing. But enjoy that Boston melting pot.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38884241#Comment_38884241

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    So far I haven’t seen PeeWee Herman once on this Texas trip :(
    Did you look in the Alamo’s basement

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

RIP : (

• Options
    I've also been really curious about what would actually happen when exposed to space

from what I can gather it is 1. explosive decompression of any air you might have in your lungs, do not hold your breath if you want to keep your lungs un-shredded.
    2. Unconsciousness from hypoxia in about 15 seconds. Would also blind you.
    3. Which I don't think matters much because all the water on your eyes boiling off and probably painfully cooling the surface of your eyes can't let you see good I imagine
    4. You start swelling quite a bit. Actually not likely to cause any lasting damage, this. Skin does its job good.
    5. Also you get the bends

Your blood pressure would still be good though, because our circulatory system is also very good at keeping blood pressure okay

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    There’s some evidence that a pressurized air tank and a space suit providing only mechanical body compression with some kind of elastic could keep you alive and conscious in the vacuum of outer space for a while.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.