Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Here [chat] the Mummies

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Making someone self-conscious about laughing is one of the cruelest things you can do to them, imo, and I always try to shut it down hard when I see it.

I was awarded the "Best Laugh" award at my High School graduation awards. I hated getting that award.

I got the same award as a quasi-joke from my previous job. I was... better with it.

Seriously, when you have a laugh that you can hear all the way across the building, you either live with it or hate yourself. I've done both, don't recommend.

(Recently someone said my laugh is comparable to Neil Degrasse Tyson.)

I got an award for "Best Attitude and Smile" during my last summer of sailing lessons.

Which pissed me off, because I had the shittiest summer of them riding my ass because they were convinced I was some sort of sailing savant and they just kept pushing me harder and harder.

And yeah I'd go out there and sail the fuck out of that Laser like few ever had and I'd do everything they wanted me to do better than they wanted me to do it, but I know for damn certain I wasn't smiling.

So I'm pretty sure they gave me that award ironically and it bothers me to this day. >_>

Lasers are so fucking fun though.

I may be way too fat to be on one now though.

Our club had Optimists (of course), Lasers, and CL 16s. Optis were for the young kids to practice up mostly, the CLs were for the older students to help instruct some of the younger students, but when you got to the point where you could just go out on a Laser and you had no responsibilities except going as fast as possible ...

It was pretty darn sweet. :D

He/Him
    Narwhal, you should make "Sometimes while someone is explaining something to me, I am thinking about rockets" your signature
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I haven't played it since Wrath, but I think WoW's basic design carries too much phylogeny from Everquest and DikuMUD. Where WoW succeeds, it succeeds despite it's ancestry.

For example, the history of WoW has been to make leveling less onerous over time. If Blizzard feels the need to continually make leveling faster, the obvious question to ask there is, "why have leveling at all?"

Well, because that's just what multiplayer RPGs do. It's a genre convention.

well yeah

and yet when you take it away, a la destiny 2, people bitch to no end so

gimme a game with lots difficult and interesting raid style encounters for a group of 5-10 people and give me everything I need to do it right away with zero farming and i'll pay all the moneys

Right.

And let's say they did that. What purpose would world content serve in such a game?

Would there be any reason to spend any time in the overworld at all?

Sure, just make the overworld content actually fun and interesting on its own merits.

The overworld in Destiny 2 is pointless. There might as well just be nodes for instanced activities that you select. All world activities are trivially easy, and if you do die, you respawn in 5 seconds. There is no fail state or penalty for failure. That's not good!

If your game has no levels and no grind, and "progression" isn't really a meaningful concept outside of player skill development (and maaaaybe, maybe, gear that gives you more options rather than simply inflating numbers), maybe make missions that take place in that world that are challenging and demanding and have fail states. Make some areas of the overworld hostile and challenging just to live in and get through. Put a variety of events that happen into the game, random or scripted or any combination thereof, that make the overworld more exciting and less predictable. Etc etc.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    credeiki
  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular
    I still haven't mentally recovered from my sister always beating me button mashing in Teras Kasi

s586cu2r93hr.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    This must have been the shit back in the day:

Havelock2.0
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    You were a nude Tauren dancing on mailboxes for tips?

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    whoooo campus closed tomorrow.

Bless your heart.
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Streaming makes me too self conscious but also if I ever tried it again I dunno what I would actually play on it that would be entertaining to watch
    Is there a niche for bad gaming? Not saying you are bad. This just reminded me to ask y’all. Like I’m gonna stream DS3 where I die and don’t progress for hours.

I've considered that, but I don't know that people would actually find it entertaining for me to like, try the same DS3 area for an hour and die to the same couple of non-boss enemies over and over again? Seems like it would be frustrating rather than fun.

I think I'd be best off streaming league; when my husband's around, I usually keep up a running commentary when I play and call it 'streaming', and he thinks it's pretty entertaining, but also he is pretty biased so it's not at all clear if it would be generally interesting.

again, this is literally how i made affiliate

huh, interesting. I am surprised people like that.

To me DS3 is an immersive and atmospheric game that I wouldn't want to ruin by including other people in my playing experience, so I probably wouldn't stream it, were I to stream. I also wouldn't want other people to see how bad I was.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    air-photos.tumblr.com
  • NecoNeco Background Noise Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ludious wrote: »
    I loved Super Star Wars. I don't remember it being that hard. I know it's considered hard. I'd probably think it was hard now, but back in the day I don't recall that being the case.

I mentioned the other night that I beat super ESB and people said I was lying and i was like “...huh?”

Neco on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I had a star wars game on my game gear and could not get past the sandcrawler level ever.

Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I loved Super Star Wars. I don't remember it being that hard. I know it's considered hard. I'd probably think it was hard now, but back in the day I don't recall that being the case.

Super ROTJ is the one that has a battletoads-esc level at the end (flying out of the exploding death star) that is waaay too long and requires the player to just memorize everything

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    We have state and federal folks in my building.

The state is closed tomorrow..at least until 10am.

But we are expected to be in at our regular times.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I wish I could twitch or do something creative but instead I will just stare at a screen or a ceiling whenever I'm not playing a multiplayer game with my bros

Do a series where you play through every Star Wars game.

ugh there's too many bad ones!

If I had to play Masters of Teras Kasi again I would break shit

MoTK was amazing! IT HAD MARA JADE!

FUCK YOU

BUT YOU SHOULD PLAY THE ENTIRE SUPER STAR WARS SERIES FOR SNES
    THEY WERE AWESOME

Bless your heart.
    SniperGuy
    I think an overworld that is just a place where you grind monotonous, tedious, non-challenging, unfailable activities to make slow progress is... it's worse than nothing. It's actively negative and encourages compulsive, time-wasting behaviour.

• visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron Nerd Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I still feel self-conscious thanking people for follows and donations and subs and stuff. Not because I don't legit appreciate it, but because it's such a streamer cliche and I don't want it to become a thing where someone subscribes or donates and I just offhandedly say thanks. So I try to say something, like, unique and/or personal, and I kind of stumble over my words and it just comes out awkward.

Obviously this is something I need to get a handle on soon.

Personally, being thanked for following comes off as weird, but I can see that others might be offended if they're not thanked?

What a couple of streamers did do when I followed them was actually engage with me, which I found a lot nicer than a generic "thank you", but that might be easier since my username was my location in it so it gives them a jumping off point.

Might be harder when streaming a game like Dark Souls where you have to pay attention all the time though.

Yeah, for follows I pretty much just say "oh, thanks for the follow [name]"

I feel like I need to do more for subs and donations though. @RonaldoTheGypsy subbed for the second month last night and I just tripped over my words a bunch trying to say something nice.

It is not usually hard for me to be genuine, but I think my problem is that a lot of the genuine stuff I would normally say just sounds like what every streamer says. So then I try to say something to show that I really mean it, which is what trips me up because it's not what I naturally want to say.

I should just say whatever comes naturally I guess and hope my sincerity comes across. I do really appreciate it when people sub and donate, especially when they're friends from the forum.

vxsHp3F.gif
    I die evry tiem in Sekiro on Twitch
    I think an overworld that is just a place where you grind monotonous, tedious, non-challenging, unfailable activities to make slow progress is... it's worse than nothing. It's actively negative and encourages compulsive, time-wasting behaviour.

Progress Quest was pretty accurate to that era of MMOs.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My mom cooked a Libyan dish and I went to get the leftovers. It's called imbakbaka, and I should learn to cook it myself since it's a relatively simple pasta dish.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    BeNarwhal
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    This must have been the shit back in the day:

if you can find a machine where the controller is in good condition that game is The Shit today

It is genuinely fun to play.

Athenor
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Really Ross was the worst Friend, Ross and Phoebe. Just two awful friends who should die alone.
    I will always love Phoebe. But man do I hate Chandler. Also the casual homophobia is jarring looking back twenty years.

How can you hate chandler? And yeah anytime I'm watching something from that time period the gay jokes are always extremely blunt and bad.

The only joke I can remember from that show was when they were talking about sharing a bar of soap and Joey says "Think about the last thing I wash and the first thing you wash."

P good.

that is a good one

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What's up with the premise for Saving Private Ryan? If a soldier's brothers died would they really (painstakingly) remove that soldier from service so that not every brother died?

I have to imagine that it happened to a lot of families in the war.

PSN: Honkalot

Progress Quest was pretty accurate to that era of MMOs.

it's still true of many single-player and MMOish games like Destiny 2.

edited January 2018
    Holy heck. Progress Quest is 16 years old.

Couscous on
    edited January 2018
    i think the first super star wars was kind of difficult but Empire and Return was super easy (except for flying the Falcon at the end of it)

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    Streaming makes me too self conscious but also if I ever tried it again I dunno what I would actually play on it that would be entertaining to watch
    Is there a niche for bad gaming? Not saying you are bad. This just reminded me to ask y’all. Like I’m gonna stream DS3 where I die and don’t progress for hours.

I've considered that, but I don't know that people would actually find it entertaining for me to like, try the same DS3 area for an hour and die to the same couple of non-boss enemies over and over again? Seems like it would be frustrating rather than fun.

I think I'd be best off streaming league; when my husband's around, I usually keep up a running commentary when I play and call it 'streaming', and he thinks it's pretty entertaining, but also he is pretty biased so it's not at all clear if it would be generally interesting.

To me DS3 is an immersive and atmospheric game that I wouldn't want to ruin by including other people in my playing experience, so I probably wouldn't stream it, were I to stream. I also wouldn't want other people to see how bad I was.

See, it's the opposite for me. Dark Souls and Subnautica are both games I would never play if I weren't streaming them. In Dark Souls I get really frustrated, and if I don't have to cool myself off a little bit because people are watching, it just feeds on itself and I'd never beat anything. Similarly, I'd never force myself into the deep waters in Subnautica if people weren't watching me.

vxsHp3F.gif
    Kamiro
    edited January 2018
    Honk wrote: »
    What's up with the premise for Saving Private Ryan? If a soldier's brothers died would they really (painstakingly) remove that soldier from service so that not every brother died?

it was that all three of his brothers had died

Variable on
    KamiroRedTide
    TTODewback wrote: »
    i think the first super star wars was kind of difficult but Empire and Return was super easy (except for flying the Falcon at the end of it)

I wouldn't say super but at least comparatively, that's what I remember

• jungleroomxjungleroomx El Hopaness Rom Tic Registered User regular

The rescue part was written up, but I would imagine they'd do within reason what was necessary, since killing a families entire lineage would've been bad press in an era of War Bonds.

Make. Time.
    Tie Fighter gave me nightmares from when the antagonist tries to hyperspace away in a cloaked corvette.
    The screaaammmm

Bless your heart.
    Mara Jade was so cool

1b8c8cfcf1dd503f2005fad2c0bed4a0--mara-jade-girls.jpg

SO COOL

AegisRedTide
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Making someone self-conscious about laughing is one of the cruelest things you can do to them, imo, and I always try to shut it down hard when I see it.

I was awarded the "Best Laugh" award at my High School graduation awards. I hated getting that award.

I got the same award as a quasi-joke from my previous job. I was... better with it.

Seriously, when you have a laugh that you can hear all the way across the building, you either live with it or hate yourself. I've done both, don't recommend.

(Recently someone said my laugh is comparable to Neil Degrasse Tyson.)

I got an award for "Best Attitude and Smile" during my last summer of sailing lessons.

Which pissed me off, because I had the shittiest summer of them riding my ass because they were convinced I was some sort of sailing savant and they just kept pushing me harder and harder.

And yeah I'd go out there and sail the fuck out of that Laser like few ever had and I'd do everything they wanted me to do better than they wanted me to do it, but I know for damn certain I wasn't smiling.

So I'm pretty sure they gave me that award ironically and it bothers me to this day. >_>

Lasers are so fucking fun though.

I may be way too fat to be on one now though.

Our club had Optimists (of course), Lasers, and CL 16s. Optis were for the young kids to practice up mostly, the CLs were for the older students to help instruct some of the younger students, but when you got to the point where you could just go out on a Laser and you had no responsibilities except going as fast as possible ...

It was pretty darn sweet. :D

I missed Opti's entirely. I joined the club in its second year and all we had were a fleet of haulers and a couple Blue Jays that we rotated into. The next year we added another Jay and a Sunfish and we split off the older/returning kids and the real youngins into the haulers. The year after that they bought a bunch of Optimists for the little kids and switched us over to the lasers after someone donated a couple of them.

Flipping a Blue Jay was hysterical until you had to flip it back over and bail it out.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    BeNarwhal
  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I still feel self-conscious thanking people for follows and donations and subs and stuff. Not because I don't legit appreciate it, but because it's such a streamer cliche and I don't want it to become a thing where someone subscribes or donates and I just offhandedly say thanks. So I try to say something, like, unique and/or personal, and I kind of stumble over my words and it just comes out awkward.

Obviously this is something I need to get a handle on soon.

Personally, being thanked for following comes off as weird, but I can see that others might be offended if they're not thanked?

What a couple of streamers did do when I followed them was actually engage with me, which I found a lot nicer than a generic "thank you", but that might be easier since my username was my location in it so it gives them a jumping off point.

Might be harder when streaming a game like Dark Souls where you have to pay attention all the time though.

Yeah, for follows I pretty much just say "oh, thanks for the follow [name]"

I feel like I need to do more for subs and donations though. RonaldoTheGypsy subbed for the second month last night and I just tripped over my words a bunch trying to say something nice.

It is not usually hard for me to be genuine, but I think my problem is that a lot of the genuine stuff I would normally say just sounds like what every streamer says. So then I try to say something to show that I really mean it, which is what trips me up because it's not what I naturally want to say.

I should just say whatever comes naturally I guess and hope my sincerity comes across. I do really appreciate it when people sub and donate, especially when they're friends from the forum.

I know you're sincere when you call me an asshole for trolling you on Subnautica about fake game mechanics. It's why I keep coming back.

visiblehowl

yes, this is why only children are not allowed to serve in the army at all

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

See, it's the opposite for me. Dark Souls and Subnautica are both games I would never play if I weren't streaming them. In Dark Souls I get really frustrated, and if I don't have to cool myself off a little bit because people are watching, it just feeds on itself and I'd never beat anything. Similarly, I'd never force myself into the deep waters in Subnautica if people weren't watching me.

Hmm, I wonder how I would cope with that. It seems fun to stream--interacting with people via text is nice, and having viewers seems narcissistically satisfying. But videogames are what I do for stress relief and solitary recharging time; if I turned that into an obligation in any way, I wonder if I would be overall unhappier, even though I'd be getting the additional fun/social element from streaming. Might be worth trying at some point to see how it feels.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
    air-photos.tumblr.com

I think it's cause they all basically died at once, except for Matt Damon?

Still waiting.

Zing, got 'em.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

It had its parts that were hard, but the hard star wars game was freaking nintendo star wars. That shit was hard.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    mara jade needs to make a cameo in one of the new star wars movies. no name given. you just see a teenage redhead pick up a lightsaber or something thats laying around and all the nerds are like OH SHHITTTTT but everyone else doesnt realize it has any significance what so ever

Bless your heart.
    SniperGuy
    Kamiro wrote: »

Still waiting.

Zing, got 'em.

"deep" is all relative, Kamiro

vxsHp3F.gif
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

yes, this is why only children are not allowed to serve in the army at all

Wait seriously?

PSN: Honkalot
    mara jade needs to make a cameo in one of the new star wars movies. no name given. you just see a teenage redhead pick up a lightsaber or something thats laying around and all the nerds are like OH SHHITTTTT but everyone else doesnt realize it has any significance what so ever

I really wanted someone in Rogue One to be named Kyle or Katarn but they didn't do that either. :(

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

let the eu die

kill it if you have to

PreacherHavelock2.0AtomikajungleroomxInquisitor77
This discussion has been closed.