As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM into 2018!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    please, if anyone wants to bring cited evidence to the table or reasonably dispute my information: I'm listening

That lines up pretty well with my own research I did on the topic for a college paper.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you don't play a game because one of the guys who works on it is kind of dumb you'll never play a game. I'm not saying this to shame anyone who's all "yuck no thanks" but to reassure people who would like to play it that they shouldn't beat themselves up. I'm probably going to play Rimworld one day! That guy is a doofus! It's ok.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah like maybe don't play Feminazi: The Triggering or something

but otherwise play what you want, just be aware of stuff, I guess

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It makes a bigger deal to me if that one person has a huge role in the development process. Subnautica and Rimworld were mostly made by singular people, so if that one person is a doofus then it has a larger chance of infecting the game itself with their doofishness.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    If you don't play a game because one of the guys who works on it is kind of dumb you'll never play a game. I'm not saying this to shame anyone who's all "yuck no thanks" but to reassure people who would like to play it that they shouldn't beat themselves up. I'm probably going to play Rimworld one day! That guy is a doofus! It's ok.

Somewhat related, I'm kind of glad that Microsoft purchased Minecraft which had the added benefit of putting a lot of distance between the creator and the huge young playerbase. The downside being that he's got stupid amounts of money now and can use that to spread his views.

bombardier on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    IIRC Remember Me was given as an example of how games with prominent female PoC protagonists don't sell, but that might have just been a theoretical "good god, now they'll see that this not-that-great game sold badly and then assume that it's because its protagonist wasn't a white dude".

I'm also not too sure that Tomb Raider is the best example for how games with female protagonists can sell well, although Horizon is definitely a good one. Tomb Raider's sales could easily be chalked up to brand recognition by jaded executives, while Horizon: Zero Dawn is a new IP and thus immune to such excuses.

tomb raider sold really well, it just didn't meet the absolutely absurd sales expectations place on AAA games nowadays

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    I mean, the price is probably about to go up along with its release in a few days but yeah if lack of a female character is a no-go then mise-away!

It's a sucky situation but Subnautica is too good a game for me to ignore. Plus it was gifted and I played through most of the available content a couple times so it safely has me hooked.

absolutely do not feel guilty about enjoying the game

you can have fun with things, and leverage critique at them at the same time
    your dealbreakers don't have to be the same as mine, for example

I'm not saying anything new, here, but it's worth repeating

also, it's important to be critical of games you enjoy!

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »

Somewhat related, I'm kind of glad that Microsoft purchased Minecraft which had the added benefit of putting a lot of distance between the creator and the huge young playerbase. The downside being that he's got stupid amounts of money now and can use that to spread his views.

I was under the impression that That Guy was not a dick before the purchase? The way it went in my head was, while he worked hard with other people, he was okay. When he went to live alone in his mansion, he gradually lost it. Was that not what happened?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    bombardier wrote: »

I was under the impression that That Guy was not a dick before the purchase? The way it went in my head was, while he worked hard with other people, he was okay. When he went to live alone in his mansion, he gradually lost it. Was that not what happened?

notch just didn't really say much or people just didn't really give a shit about him until he made all the money

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    As I recall it he was not public about his political or social views until around the time of or just after the buyout, then it started oozing out on his twitter and such
    I might be misremembering though, I'm terrible at time locating memory stuff

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    How I picture the conversation at the all white male game dev office.

Guy 1 "Should we make a female character as well"

Guy 2 "The game is underwater , don't boobs float? Can she even swim, I've never actually met a woman"

Guy 3 "Heh, boobs"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It makes a bigger deal to me if that one person has a huge role in the development process. Subnautica and Rimworld were mostly made by singular people, so if that one person is a doofus then it has a larger chance of infecting the game itself with their doofishness.

Yeah, like a texture artist being an alt-right dirtbag means less to me than, say, the creative directory or designer being a huge dingleberry (see also: Tim Soret and The Last Night). There's degrees of what you're willing to tolerate.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Going back to Mass Effect for that, apparently one of the dudes in charge of the 'cameras' was kind of a douchebag, which is why we got stuff like ME2's "Investigate" scene, instead of an angle that didn't ogle Miranda.

(Also Sara Ryder's trailer for MEA was worse than Scott Ryder's, but that wasn't because sexism. Probably.)

sig.gif
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Had to restart my Divinity OS2 game, and I'm going to correct myself. Once I got the handle of the fighting system, it's a whole lot easier.

And I apparently missed a whole chunk of Fort Joy on my first playthrough. That's what I get for thinking it was Tutorial Island.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I remember being told that AAA core games with female protagonists don't sell as well, since the audience for those games is mostly men

but then like

tomb raider is doing well
    horizon zero dawn is doing well
    uncharted lost legacy is doing well

so I'm not really sure if those claims still hold water? I don't think I ever saw much in the way of numbers to back those claims up, either way

I think there are not a whole lot of first person games and shooter games with women protagonists. Generally gun heavy titles with HUDs feature men, unless it's something established like Metroid Prime

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    IIRC Remember Me was given as an example of how games with prominent female PoC protagonists don't sell, but that might have just been a theoretical "good god, now they'll see that this not-that-great game sold badly and then assume that it's because its protagonist wasn't a white dude".

I'm also not too sure that Tomb Raider is the best example for how games with female protagonists can sell well, although Horizon is definitely a good one. Tomb Raider's sales could easily be chalked up to brand recognition by jaded executives, while Horizon: Zero Dawn is a new IP and thus immune to such excuses.

tomb raider sold really well, it just didn't meet the absolutely absurd sales expectations place on AAA games nowadays

Square Enix specifically defines "doing well" as "fill the financial black hole that is Final Fantasy, thanks"

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Square Enix specifically defines "doing well" as "fill the financial black hole that is KH3 development, thanks"

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The only time you ever really see your character in Subnautica is if you use the scanner room to remote-control a drone and look at yourself through the window.

I was surprised there was a character model at all. I kind of expected there to be nothing there.

On a side-note I like the idea that Subnautica is set in the same universe as Natural Selection and that the bacteria infecting the planet is an off-shoot of the Khaara.

Unknown Worlds does good atmosphere.

RT800 on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Square Enix specifically defines "doing well" as "fill the financial black hole that is KH3 development, thanks"

The problem with this example is that black holes exist, unlike KH3.
    Hiyooooooooooo

Perrsun on
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Started up Evil Within 2 despite absolutely hating the 30 minutes of the first one I played.

Just heard this one was actually good and went in blind. This is a open world survival horror(horror-action like RE4/dead space) and I’m really digging it.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    mosssnack wrote: »
    Started up Evil Within 2 despite absolutely hating the 30 minutes of the first one I played.

Just heard this one was actually good and went in blind. This is a open world survival horror(horror-action like RE4/dead space) and I’m really digging it.

EW2 is a legit amazing game that had a cohesive development cycle instead of the fucking warcrime that shinji mikami had to deal with with 1

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Nice. It’s one of those rare games that I find myself thinking about playing when I’m not able to play.

At least so far in the early game I appreciate how most of the sneak kills you really need to earn. The monster movements and patterns are super erratic

• Options
    the sneaking skills are by far the best to get

them and the break a bottle to get out of a grapple skill

• Options
    Yeah, snagged those. The quieter walking doesn’t seem to do much. Still need to crouch to really close the distance. Need more sneak speed!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm taking another crack at Pillars of Eternity; I fell off it, in part because I wasn't especially happy with my character build.

Anybody got recommendations for a fun/good build? And/or a guide to same?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    man they have probably changed a lot in poe since I last played. I used a paladin with a two handed sword since you get so many free defensive stats you're still really tough to hit

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm taking another crack at Pillars of Eternity; I fell off it, in part because I wasn't especially happy with my character build.

don't really have guide recommendations

but ciphers got a little bit of everything iirc

might be a good place to start

wizards also got a LOT of flexibility, I turned Aloth into an auto-attacking monster

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ciphers and barbarians have been my two favorite classes to play.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

don't really have guide recommendations

but ciphers got a little bit of everything iirc

might be a good place to start

wizards also got a LOT of flexibility, I turned Aloth into an auto-attacking monster

early wizard, with no spells-per-day, is kinda brutal

I'd cast my like one thing
    aloth would cast his one thing

and then we'd both get knocked out and Eder would have to save our asses

Brolo on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I was a little disappointed with the grimoires. I had hoped for unique spells as quest rewards or off major enemies; as it is, I think there's one? Maybe two.

I was also left wishing that grimoires would grant bonuses. Or additional casts. I suppose I should be grateful they didn't go in the opposite direction and restrict spells to particular grimoires.

But there's not really any mechanical reason to use Willbreaker over Aloth's Grimoire. And that's faintly disappointing.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I played an offensive Chanter and that was pretty fun. Reny Daret's Ghost is pretty powerful early game then later you can replace him with Urdel and Gurdel.

Also, Chanter's abilities have the best names.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I assume it doesn't, but will a shield negate the bonus from One-Handed Style?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Paladin starts off hella strong. Also priests are a lot of fun and a bonus if you don't want Durance in your party. Durance is a jackass, but I like his story and he fills in a lot of the lore about the gods and shit, which are a major part of the plot.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The only real advice I have for you is that heavy armor is a trap unless you're a very specific style of Chanter

Everyone wants to be wearing very light or no armor, that includes your Paladins and Fighters and shit

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    oh yeah I did play a priest of wael, that was super fun. they've got a lot of variety and you don't have to be the old cleric archtype at all, I never cast heals

mages felt like... ehhh druids

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    oh yeah, druids also have a lot of great spells, also you can be a bear. The melee druid is not nearly as powerful and varied as a caster druid though. But you do get the bonus of throwing down your weapons in a quest then being like "psych, ima turn into a bear and maul you anyway."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I was a little disappointed with the grimoires. I had hoped for unique spells as quest rewards or off major enemies; as it is, I think there's one? Maybe two.

I was also left wishing that grimoires would grant bonuses. Or additional casts. I suppose I should be grateful they didn't go in the opposite direction and restrict spells to particular grimoires.

But there's not really any mechanical reason to use Willbreaker over Aloth's Grimoire. And that's faintly disappointing.

there's actually several! and some more are added in the expansion, too. I think all up there's about 14 unique spells you can only get from special grimoires.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Cipher, Barbarian, Wizard are all good PC choices I feel. Priest if you're not going to take Durance as one of your main party (I love his story stuff so I do)

Other tips would be: you can, and should if you feel like it, complete every possible companion's story! As someone else mentioned, heavy armour isn't actually as good as it seems- I only ever used it on Eder, everyone else had medium or light. Also if you haven't got the expansion, you really should- it adds a bunch more character options, 3 more companions and an entire mini-campaign that is super super rad. I suggest that as soon as you hit the first town you should go about collecting all the companions you can (4 total) before doing any more quests or exploring, since that helps loads.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    oh yeah, druids also have a lot of great spells, also you can be a bear. The melee druid is not nearly as powerful and varied as a caster druid though. But you do get the bonus of throwing down your weapons in a quest then being like "psych, ima turn into a bear and maul you anyway."

Do you get to say "let's settle this with our bear hands" first because if so, GOTY

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Eh, nevermind. Hadn't realized how far the thread had moved on when I wrote this.

Edit: testing something.
    Edit 2: Okay, yeah. Saw a thread saying they couldn't edit posts after 24 hours, but I was sure we can.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
This discussion has been closed.