As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM into 2018!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If I had gotten the job at Lionhead my career right now would be fucking nightmarish. Sometimes things happen for a reason I think.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Imagine the farts you could have put into games, though!

• Options
    I would have gained three years of extra, unneeded experience in a field I despise in an industry I want to avoid and have the terrible scenario of still not having shipped a game.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Or maybe Lionhead would currently be rolling in money from the successful launch of the first of its kind werebear simulator

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Slay the Spire is now at #2 on the worldwide bestsellers, behind PUBG

That is nuts

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Or maybe Lionhead would currently be rolling in money from the successful launch of the first of its kind werebear simulator

You know I have a design document like

ready to go right

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    My memory of Fable 3 is @mully losing her shit when the game was like "nah it's all good you got TONS of time dude PSYCHE there's only 12 hours left sucka".

Fable 2 I remember was good and also chopping a lot of lumber, but it just made me want to actually chop some wood.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh god I remember that. You have 100 days left or something and then it jumps straight to 1. The second "half" of that game was so bad.

• Options
    Sometimes I find myself wanting to play Fable 3, just to see the mess that game is

then I realize wait I could spend that time playing a good game instead

• Options
    Last time we talked about Fable I said some of the accents were bad and a guy pulled up a post from like 2007 where I had chewed him out for saying the same thing and I have never been owned so hard in my life

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Was Fable 3 the one where you accrued rent money in real time? So you have a couple of properties and you go on vacation IRL for a week and come back to a ton of money?

Fable 2 did the same thing, IIRC, but I think 3 had properties decay over time so you had to keep maintaining them?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I was so thoroughly disappointed by the first Fable that I never recovered

Like I understood that not everything Molyneux said was going to be in the game because he is a madman

But it was sold as an open world game and what we got was a small series of corridors

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Slay the Spire is now at #2 on the worldwide bestsellers, behind PUBG

That is nuts

...he's definitely buying the beers next time I see him

• Options
    Fable was really good if you were able to play it on its own terms, but I can understand what a crushing disappointment it was given that it was kind of billed as an era-spanning Skyrim.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Like I understood that not everything Molyneux said was going to be in the game because he is a madman

But it was sold as an open world game and what we got was a small series of corridors

I think Fable 1 is fine if you weren't aware of all the ridiculous promises Molyneux made

but boy oh boy did he ever make ridiculous promises

• Options
    I can still conjure up in my mind the game I thought Fable was going to be and oh shit is it good

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Hey I was cleaning my home office today and lookee what I found!

pa1wg1qe3ekv.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I thought fable 1 was okay but honestly the most fun I had with it was just watching a friend of mine play it

Fable 2 I remember very little of, other than the moneymaking minigames, which I thought were all stupid garbage

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I liked Fable 1 for what it was. It was an OK action RPG with the focus being on action. The RPG elements are mostly either absurdly rudimentary or mechanics that are now expected in modern open world games.

Assassin's Creed Origins has more meaningful RPG mechanics.

• Options
    I liked the money making games because I'm a sucker for a game that will let you exist as a commoner in the world if you want to

• Options
    My favorite part about Fable 1 is how ridiculously easy it is to break the economy in that game.

It's a similar reason to why I like Morrowind so much (well, alchemy in that case over economy), although Morrowind also has a good story.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah, the Fable previews/interviews were the hardest I ever bit on marketing, and also the last time I bit on marketing

Which I guess means Fable did me a solid

• Options
    Weirdly I was always semi-doubtful of Fable but boy oh boy did I fall for Spore's marketing.

I mean Spore was... It was fine, in the end, I guess, but man I fell off it quick.

• Options
    Everyone bites on marketing

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ah spore

man I called that game out on being bullshit from the first preview

series of 4 mini-games, bite my ass spore

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    My favorite part about Fable 1 is how ridiculously easy it is to break the economy in that game.

It's a similar reason to why I like Morrowind so much (well, alchemy in that case over economy), although Morrowind also has a good story.

There was no reason in Fable 1 other than not wanting to cheat to not just sell and buy a stack of items over and over again.

For those who don't know, a merchant in Fable 1 will buy an item for more if they have less of that item and will sell an item for less if they have more of that item. The price they give you you does not take into account how many you are trying to buy or sell. You can literally sell them 10 rubies and buy those 10 rubies right back for a profit.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

I harvest my own toilet paper straight off the vine because I'm part of no man's system

• Options
    now star citizen

there's a game that will accurately model an entire universe and let you grow a civilization filled with real people from a single cell

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    now star citizen

there's a game that will accurately model an entire universe and let you grow a civilization filled with real people from a single cell

Yeah!

I've invested twelve million dollars into that game and it's gonna be so great, dude!

• Options

I harvest my own toilet paper straight off the vine because I'm part of no man's system

It's not my intent to razz you specifically, but people who believe themselves to not be susceptible to marketing are actually more susceptible to marketing and I believe it's better to go in with your eyes wide open.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I bought in completely on No Man’s Sky

But also I feel like I caught on to the real idea of what that game was and got pretty much what I expected, I had a good time with it

Honestly the recent game where I completely got hooked on the idea of it and totally let down by the reality was The Sexy Brutale

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

It's not my intent to razz you specifically, but people who believe themselves to not be susceptible to marketing are actually more susceptible to marketing and I believe it's better to go in with your eyes wide open.

I should've clarified marketing hype, because we live in Capitalism and "marketing" is as ever-present and unavoidable and multifaceted as, like, carbon

• Options
    I actually didn't feel that hyped for NMS and had what I thought was a very grounded and realistic view of what it would be and it failed spectacularly to meet the very low bar I had set in my mind

• Options
    edited January 2018
    The NMS developers saying there wouldn't be space trucking killed any hype I might have had for the game. They could have used all those planets for space truckin' on those planets, but they just had to make it collecting resources instead.

Couscous on
  • Options
    when the NMS team said that everything would be procedural I definitely started hearing warning bells

because that wasn't entirely true, and even if it was, procedural generation is really boring

• Options
    I liked the money making games because I'm a sucker for a game that will let you exist as a commoner in the world if you want to

that's fair

for me it was like...my actual job is underpaid repetitive drudge work, so when you take that and put it in something that is ostensibly for my entertainment, and also make it really cutesy, not only is it not entertaining, it's also insulting as all hell

• Options
    All I expected was for it not to be constantly anti-fun. I didn't expect huge strides or amazing vistas, I expected to not hate playing it. I was genuinely surprised by how fucking terrible the basic gameplay loops were and how quickly I despised the game. I could easily have hit the refund window, I was having Not Fun within minutes.

• Options
    my main complaint with NMS was that it was hard for me even to access what fun was there because it ran like slapped ass on PC

apparently they just took the PS4 version and ran it in an emulator, which...yeah, at that point, you probably shouldn't even do a port

I asked for a refund and they gave it to me despite being like a week after the deadline and several hours over maximum playtime

• Options
    the last bit of marketing I really bit on was VR

thankfully I didn't actually purchase my Vive, it belongs to a buddy of mine

and honestly I'm having a pretty good time with it, although I wish some of the content creation tools were a little more mature, and the resolution for things like productivity apps was a little higher

• Options
    VR is still a great technology, the economics of it just aren't shaking out.

This discussion has been closed.