As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM into 2018!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Honestly the first Baldur's Gate game is a very good digital recreation of a game of Dungeons and Dragons

Straightzi on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I picked up Baldur's Gate again. Will I beat it this time? WHO KNOWS?!?!?!

The game gets a lot better once you actually get into the actual city of Baldur's Gate, but that's like 60% of the way in. Still, it's something to shoot for.

When exploring the wilderness areas starts getting dull, head to the next story quest. The wildernesses are full of cool things from, like, a game-optimizing point of view - lots of trees with rings of invisibility hidden inside, or little caves hiding platemail +1 or whatever - but from a story perspective it's a wasteland. All the random encounters are just dumb jokes or pop culture references. You'll meet a guy named Wolverpeen or something, or a different guy who wants a shrubbery. Shit like that.

I'm trying the fabled Kensai/Mage build, and I'm curious as to whether I can quickly max out the XP if I only keep a three person party. So far it's Viconia and Dorn, but Viconia might get the boot.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    I finally decided to just play it on Story Mode or whatever it's called this time. It's more of a noatalgia trip anyway, I don't really care about the combat. I made it all the way through BG1 and Siege of Dragonspear and into BG2 currently which rarely happens

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Are you planning to kiss Dorn y/n

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Are you planning to kiss Dorn y/n

Sure, fuck it.

I dragged Aerie around for the entire fucking game to try and get a baby and didn't, so I'm kind of bitter on BG romance.

• Options
    Aerie is the worst and I still cannot believe that you had the patience to try and romance her

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    none of the romances in BG2 are especially good but aerie's is creepier than most

but I like 'em mean so I always smooched Viconia

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I would say that Vermintide is "technically" playable solo but I would highly recommend against it.

I like the game a lot but the people I like to game with didn't pick it up/don't have much time for it, and some of the people I ended up playing it with were.... too negative for me to have a good experience so I basically dropped the game.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wish the gameplay in AC1 held up better, I want to replay it to see if Altair's character arc holds up at all.

Assassin's Creed Revelations is so much better if you've played AC1 and can tell how all the flashbacks slot into Altair's history.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Aerie is the worst and I still cannot believe that you had the patience to try and romance her

She's the only one who has a baby

Also she's honestly pretty powerful

• Options
    I'm still so disappointed that AC games apparently just don't do anything for me anymore

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Dark Messiah is the evolutionary connective tissue between Arx Fatalis and Dishonored, and would otherwise be unremarkable if not for the incredibly entertaining combat system of endlessly kicking dudes into spikes. Though I did like the extremely light RPG elements.

Bethesda now owns Arkane, who also own Heretic/Hexen. They should totally have them to a modern take on that franchise and style it after Dark Messiah.

I'd buy that shit so hard.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I just want Arkane to make another good Dishonored game, tbh

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Ubik wrote: »
    I finally decided to just play it on Story Mode or whatever it's called this time. It's more of a noatalgia trip anyway, I don't really care about the combat. I made it all the way through BG1 and Siege of Dragonspear and into BG2 currently which rarely happens

Honestly no matter what my plans I always end up running with Imoen, Khalid + Jaheira and Minsc + Dynaheir. Sometimes I pick up

There's a place up north with respawning ankhegs that you can farm to max out your xp. Plus you can give their shells to a dude to make special ankheg plate.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I need to go finish up my last run through of baldur's, I remember I was fairly deep in, when suddenly I accidently got too nice somewhere, and my evil dorf tank ( who isn't that evil tbh) got all pissy and bailed and I haven't bothered looking up the console command to adjust his alignment.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So I'm playing this...game I can't remember the name of...Grim Dawn, for some reason. It's...bad? Maybe? I'm playing it though. I don't know how to feel.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    I had Hexxat threaten to bail once, but that was about it.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dark Messiah is the evolutionary connective tissue between Arx Fatalis and Dishonored, and would otherwise be unremarkable if not for the incredibly entertaining combat system of endlessly kicking dudes into spikes. Though I did like the extremely light RPG elements.

Bethesda now owns Arkane, who also own Heretic/Hexen. They should totally have them to a modern take on that franchise and style it after Dark Messiah.

I saw a new game pop up on Steam earlier that [url=" looked a lot like Hexen.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I saw a new game pop up on Steam earlier that looked a lot like Hexen.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh shit that's intriguing

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am having a hard time figuring out stuff to play because I'm kind of vibrating with excitement for Battletech on the 24th. Whenever I get like this it becomes incredibly hard to focus on a game. I've just been kind of listlessly picking at my Steam library, or firing up Sea of Thieves (which is great, when my friends are on, but not something I want to do nonstop on my own).

But thankfully, there is balm in Gilead. The devs have let a few streamers have an early access build and stream up to a certain part in the main campaign. This one dude has been playing for several days now and I am glued to my youtubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjz_EX29fCY

• Options
    Darmak wrote: »

I saw a new game pop up on Steam earlier that looked a lot like Hexen.

Oh hmm!

I can't FPS very hard because of my eyesight but this looks neat. Have Doom and Wolfenstein kind of brought back 90s-style strafe-at-60-mph, collect-all-the-guns shooters?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I am having a hard time figuring out stuff to play because I'm kind of vibrating with excitement for Battletech on the 24th. Whenever I get like this it becomes incredibly hard to focus on a game. I've just been kind of listlessly picking at my Steam library, or firing up Sea of Thieves (which is great, when my friends are on, but not something I want to do nonstop on my own).

But thankfully, there is balm in Gilead. The devs have let a few streamers have an early access build and stream up to a certain part in the main campaign. This one dude has been playing for several days now and I am glued to my youtubes.

100% agree. Wrapped up Pillars of Eternity and now I'm just pacing around waiting for Battletech. And as much as I like to go in relatively blind to a game, I had no choice - NO CHOICE - but to watch this very streamer play Battletech in all its 32 part glory. And now that's done and I'm back to waiting...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I really liked Edward in Black Flag because I have a thing for Welsh assholes

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

I told you, not until the third date

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

I knew it was going to be either you or Raijin

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »

100% agree. Wrapped up Pillars of Eternity and now I'm just pacing around waiting for Battletech. And as much as I like to go in relatively blind to a game, I had no choice - NO CHOICE - but to watch this very streamer play Battletech in all its 32 part glory. And now that's done and I'm back to waiting...

Right? I'm not big on streaming, usually, but I liked his style and found him pretty engaging, and it was fun to watch him learn the game. The hours kind of flew by. Despite already being a BT dude and having followed the development pretty closely I definitely think I'll be starting this thing in a much stronger position for having watched the stream.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I decided to sit and try to finish Wolfenstein 2

But I got to a point where I think I need to shoot something with the dieselkraftwerk to find wyatt and there is no where to fuel it.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I've been really out of the videogame mood but maybe battletech will get me back into things.

I just finished painting up the second half of the battletech starter kit and found out that there is a weekly campaign running at my FLGS.

Maybe time to go all in on battletech.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I decided to sit and try to finish Wolfenstein 2

But I got to a point where I think I need to shoot something with the dieselkraftwerk to find wyatt and there is no where to fuel it.

Check the walls of the hanger.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

I knew it was going to be either you or Raijin

i'm welsh!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Huh, I didn't know Battletech and Mechwarrior were the same franchise.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    yis
    battletech is the strategy game/overall franchise title, mechwarrior is the first-person mech sim action computer game series in the battletech setting, or occasionally the pen and paper RPG set in the battletech setting

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »

Honestly no matter what my plans I always end up running with Imoen, Khalid + Jaheira and Minsc + Dynaheir. Sometimes I pick up

There's a place up north with respawning ankhegs that you can farm to max out your xp. Plus you can give their shells to a dude to make special ankheg plate.

I have a terrible awful secret about my childhood Baldur's Gate playthrough

My player character was a Fighter/Mage (like kensai/mage but so much fucking harder to play as) and I didn't want another mage in the group... but I wanted Minsc. But you couldn't kick Dynaheir without losing Minsc as well... What a dielemma for childhood me.

Then I figured it out by accident when Khalid got killed in a fight- you could remove a dead person from your party without losing their partner. So I reloaded to where Khalid wasn't dead, went down to 5 party members (left someone in an inn), then headed to the Gnoll stronghold where Dynaheir is. You kick Minsc out, then quickly talk to him and have him join you again and somehow Dynaheir also joins you. Then I walked her up into some gnolls where she died.

My headcanon was that the Gnolls had already killed her, so we wiped them all out in response.

every time I think about it now I realise how fucked up that was of childhood me, though

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Man, and here I always felt bad about simply kicking people out in Final Fantasy Tactics, monsters having some of the worst responses:
    • (It seems to be saddened by the thought of leaving.)
    • (It looks upset at being told to go home, mayhap because it has no home to go to.)
    • (It seems confused when you ask it to leave.)
    • (It seems excited. It may have thought you wanted to give it a treat.)

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    god and the monsters just kept making babies as long as you had any open roster slots
    was FFT was secretly an object lesson in the emotional toll for not spaying and neutering your pets?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    One of the first things I did on this play through was mince Minsc

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    god and the monsters just kept making babies as long as you had any open roster slots
    was FFT was secretly an object lesson in the emotional toll for not spaying and neutering your pets?
    I used them as poaching fodder

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Speaking of Vermintide 2 the patch that dropped looks really, really good.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    yeah I played through a few missions just now

not a lot changed for me as kerillian, it's subtler than it let on, but it seems like a couple of her weapons should be better against hordes now, which means you're not necessarily incorrect to bring anything other than a two-handed sword or a glaive

This discussion has been closed.