As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm 2.0] the softest of wet farts

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Does taking Q off quick cast make his movement different? Does it even have an on release option? Wouldn't that behave exactly the same as quick cast on?

I've been playing with W on release. Maybe I should try off?

Hold right-click to move gets complerely disabled if you use his Q and it's not on quick cast/on release.
    It happens with quick cast on too though.

I've never had it happen with on release, although I've only played Hanzo like ten times. Without it, I was getting hit with it basically as soon as every game started.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    It happens with on release, as an on release player. Not super often, but usually once a game at least.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I think Hanzo has a few viable builds, but they're almost all informed by your choice of level 1 talent.

For any build, either heroic is pretty good (now that they gave Dragonstrike crazy damage) and I'd say it comes down more to your preference or the matchup. If you've got Mosh, gravity, etc. wombo potential, probably Dragonstrike. If you need some extra CC to stop something like a Mosh, Dragon's Arrow. Otherwise, try them both and see which you have a better time using. At level 20 you're probably best just going with the heroic upgrade. Perfect Agility feels like a higher skill cap choice. Give it a try if you're daring.

If you go Q quest, go Explosive at 4, Sharpened at 7, Q at 13 (13 is probably the most preference based tier, though, so if you like Mounted Archery go for it), Flawless or Piercing at 16 (Piercing feels so good and is such a huge QoL boost that it's kind of hard not to pick it in any build; it's good with any of them).

If you go W quest, go Serrated at 4, Outmatched at 7, your preference at 13 but Mounted Archery is a good staple, Piercing at 16.

If you go Auto attack quest, Distractions+Sharpened or Serrated+Outmatched at 4+7 depending on if you want to go full auto vs. merc/monster/boss killing machine, same story at 13, probably Giant Slayer, if you are going full auto, Piercing otherwise at 16.

Edit: Eh Dibby's is better because he linked actual heroesfire builds.

forty on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Does taking Q off quick cast make his movement different? Does it even have an on release option? Wouldn't that behave exactly the same as quick cast on?

I've been playing with W on release. Maybe I should try off?

First off, what ArcTangent said.

But secondly:

- Q w/Quickcast = Press and hold, Q goes off when you release the button. It will fire off instantly if you just press Q once.
    - Q without Quickcast = Press Q once, it automatically will keep building in range til max range, you have full and complete movement with rightclicks (except hold-to-move), left click will fire it off.

That's why I like Q without Quickcast. It gives you much more controlled movement, you don't have to be constantly holding down Q.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I figured I would put W "on-release" like most AoE stuff I play. Any talent builds I should look into or is there little variety?

Homie I got you.

There's actually three builds right now! Q build, W build, and AA build. AA build didn't really come into being until Sharpened Arrowheads.

Q build: https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/hanzo#gTnq

W build: https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/hanzo#kdv4

AA build: https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/hanzo#o63- (some people take Ignore All Distractions at 4, but Explosive Arrows still gives you actual waveclear. Up to you.)

And some quick notes:

- You can basically take whatever at 13. Mounted Archery is rather popular.
    - Sharpened Arrowheads is fucking busted and makes Tanks' lives miserable. Take that if you're not going W build. Never The Dragon Hungers.
    - NEVER EVER EVER take Dragonstrike (slow moving no-damage twin dragons), ALWAYS take Dragon's Arrow (global stun). I also recommend taking Dragon's Arrow off Quickcast so you can see the range/where it will line up, so you can better utilize it's global range.
    - You can basically take whatever at 20 as well. Ult Upgrade is very good.
    - W build is probably the hardest to play. It's exceptionally good for Mercing and clearing Bosses/Objective Bosses though!
    - Q build and AA build are pretty simple and straightforward to play. Just make sure you're building those Redemption stacks for AA build!
    - Make sure you weave in autos. Hanzo's Autos hit freakishly hard, as part of the tradeoff for his ridiculously slow attack speed.
    - You gotta hit D on the landing spot, not on the terrain itself. It's a little weird, but it's easier now with the increased range.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    - Q w/Quickcast = Press and hold, Q goes off when you release the button. It will fire off instantly if you just press Q once.
    - Q without Quickcast = Press Q once, it automatically will keep building in range til max range, you have full and complete movement with rightclicks (except hold-to-move), left click will fire it off.
    But what about "on release"? Does it even have that option?

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I default to on release. I didn't even realize you could change how separate skills operate until very recently.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Every individual skill can be used with Quickcast, On Release, or Normal (off).

I don't know how Storm Bow functions with On Release, I've never tried it. But I imagine it functions similar to Quickcast.

The main difference between Quickcast and On Release is QC = Key Down, On Release = Key Up. QC feels more responsive over On Release, usually. To me, anyway.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I bought the mecha pack. Worth.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

I don't know how Storm Bow functions with On Release, I've never tried it. But I imagine it functions similar to Quickcast.

The main difference between Quickcast and On Release is QC = Key Down, On Release = Key Up. QC feels more responsive over On Release, usually. To me, anyway.

I just checked. For Storm Bow, Quick Cast/On Release function the same.

Quick Cast/On Release: Q -> Charge, Release -> Fire
    Off: Q -> Charge, LMB -> Fire

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular

I did, too. No regrets.

• Options
    Dibby wrote: »

Right, I know the difference between them normally, but Storm Bow is kind of unique.

ArcTangent confirmed my suspicion, though. Thanks!

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    milk ducks wrote: »

I did, too. No regrets.

I played a couple games with Tyrael because of it, my first in probably two years. Except that he barely has a trait, I guess he's really good now?

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I did, too. No regrets.

I played a couple games with Tyrael because of it, my first in probably two years. Except that he barely has a trait, I guess he's really good now?

There's a lot going on in his talent rework, for sure. Grubby's mentioned, and I agree, that Justice For All at level 1 (Increases Righteousness’ allied shield value to 100% of the Tyrael-only Shield amount) is the reason you'd pick Tyrael at this point. Period, the end. That one talent, just all on its own, is a total game-changer. It's an absolute ton of on-demand, team-wide protection, and I think the impact it will have on the game is pretty substantial.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Also Judgment is mandatory because the animation is so badass.

Also, you have to zoom in on your character when it goes off.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    That last support game I played in unranked Draft is 100% why I don't play support with pugs. I get blamed by my tank for not dealing enough damage in order to kill the Glass Cannon Li Ming that was left unopposed the entire match up to do her thing. Irony was that I did finish out with the highest damage because my Malth and GD did nothing all game. :/

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Hanzo is hard
    TmffcpU.jpg

I seriously think I MVP and get top damage like this every game.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options

I did, too. No regrets.

There's a lot going on in his talent rework, for sure. Grubby's mentioned, and I agree, that Justice For All at level 1 (Increases Righteousness’ allied shield value to 100% of the Tyrael-only Shield amount) is the reason you'd pick Tyrael at this point. Period, the end. That one talent, just all on its own, is a total game-changer. It's an absolute ton of on-demand, team-wide protection, and I think the impact it will have on the game is pretty substantial.
    That was my thought as soon as I saw the patch notes. It basically gives Tyrael a little weaker level 20 talent (Storm Shield) but on 1/4 the cooldown. It even lasts a second longer though so the uptime is pretty crazy.

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    WHAT TEH FUCK.

FOUR games in a row twiht the SAME GODDAM troll on my team in every. single. one.

as;lhgd;lasdhfasdlkjf

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    WHAT TEH FUCK.

FOUR games in a row twiht the SAME GODDAM troll on my team in every. single. one.

as;lhgd;lasdhfasdlkjf

when you play with a troll, open a message with them but don't say anything, and wait until they go in game or quit before you queue.

ez game ez life.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Those are some bad odds. :(

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Cursed Strikes build Xul clears mercs like nobody's business. Possibly some of the fastest I've seen for Bruiser camps?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    if you want to hate yourself, play against alarak ktz in the aram brawl.

everything hurts.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    kime wrote: »
    Cursed Strikes build Xul clears mercs like nobody's business. Possibly some of the fastest I've seen for Bruiser camps?
    I've never tried that. Any clips of it? I'm kind of curious how it compares to, say, Hanzo.

forty on
  • Options
    I've never tried that. Any clips of it? I'm kind of curious how it compares to, say, Hanzo.

I don't have any clips, no. Hanzo is also really fast I know. I'm not sure who is fast, but Xul is definitely more mindless. Hit W, A-move. Wait a few seconds, hit W again, done.

Steam profile
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Brightwing will clear bruisers faster.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Cursed Strikes build would probably be really good if he didn't have two talents at level thirteen that he wants for the build. Executioner would be powerful dumb if it didn't directly compete with rapid harvest, something that I think is a must have for the build.

butts
  • Options

You have to wait until you get the attack speed talent though. It doesn't really work in turbo mode before that.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Someone on my team named "OnlyHanzo" firstpicks Genji (I know right, that name & pick combo? :P ) in HL, dives into Diablo+Uther+2 other enemy Heroes 2-3 times in the first few minutes.

Team spends the whole game yelling at each other, although I guess on the plus side they ignored me directly?

We lose, horribly of course.

And then, the sucker-punch, I get my first Personal Performance Adjustment in about four weeks and fifty games (I seriously just thought it was broken), and it's a -1. Like, an extra "screw you, kime" that the game felt it needed to add to that game.

Done with HL for tonight, and I think I'll stick to early mornings where people have left puberty and have some maturity...

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    feh, i got to pick hanzo in an unranked game and then someone on the other team left the draft.

rip.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I think for the rest of this week when I'm not playing Hanzo to level 10, I'll be playing Diablo, Tyrael, and/or Illidan. Its satisfying to dive him and watch him explode instantly every time.

• Options
    Someone on my team named "OnlyHanzo" firstpicks Genji (I know right, that name & pick combo? :P ) in HL, dives into Diablo+Uther+2 other enemy Heroes 2-3 times in the first few minutes.

Team spends the whole game yelling at each other, although I guess on the plus side they ignored me directly?

And then, the sucker-punch, I get my first Personal Performance Adjustment in about four weeks and fifty games (I seriously just thought it was broken), and it's a -1. Like, an extra "screw you, kime" that the game felt it needed to add to that game.

Done with HL for tonight, and I think I'll stick to early mornings where people have left puberty and have some maturity...

Why do you still have in match chat turned on?

• Options
    this tyreal rework is the fucking worst because it makes people think they can play tyreal again.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Decided to play the brawl because I hadn't for a while.

First game I take Rags and go bowling build. I don't lead damage done but after I maxed out my quest you better believe people were doing their best to dodge the ball. If we got pushed back I just trait'ed up at our keep and it was usually enough to hold them back until the folks who died respawned. Won, but it was a bit of a grind and hit level 20 first.

Second game I take Auriel and another guy on the team takes Gul'dan. Yeah. That was a much easier win. Don't think we even hit level 20.

• Options

Why do you still have in match chat turned on?

Normally it's good for me, or worst-case I have to mute someone every once in a while. For example, UD and QM were fine tonight. HL was just a mess :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    hot 0-1 in 6 drafts tonight. so many leavers.

i think i'm 1-12 or something terrible in my last games. i don't remember what fun is.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I have not won a single game in the last two days where I didn't hard carry MVP.

If i'm first pick and I take a first pick character, the rest of the draft turns into a complete shitshow, where we have Chen as our solo tank or something. If I'm last pick it doesn't matter what role I cover because the rest of my team has drafted instalocks for the wrong map, and can't play their duders anyways.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    hot 0-1 in 6 drafts tonight. so many leavers.

i think i'm 1-12 or something terrible in my last games. i don't remember what fun is.

I've taken a bit of a break from the game, but in the handful of games I have played, I did get an inordinate amount of draft dodging in Unranked Draft. Granted, it's a very small sample size, but in the past the dodge rate has been incredibly low, and lately it spiked up to feel as though it happens every other game.

I've also gotten a massive spectrum of games lately, even in UD. In one instance it was basically a game full of Diamond-Master players, and in another it was literally me being forced to try to carry a team that was literally full of Silver & Bronze players, including duo-queue Bronze (both of them had <50% win rates and one had Bronze 4 in HL). They really need to decrease the MMR band that's allowed in games. They also need to institute a rule where you can't bring in someone more than 100 MMR outside of a group queue's range. I should not be getting shoved into games where two Bronze players are grouped together, ever.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Played a Tyrael game and he definitely felt better to play. Didn't go OOM so easily and, as expected, the level 1 Righteousness talent is crazy. Maybe I'll change my tune after more games, but right now I don't even mind his dumb trait because he just feels more fun (edit: and I did manage to kill a Kael with it).

forty on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Fuck me geometry is hard to play. Of course, QM gonna QM.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I've also taken a bit of a break. I'll still jump on occasionally, clear out my quests and stuff, but I'm generally just having a lot of fun with other games at the moment (Fallout 4 on Survival mode, for example, and Disgaea 5. Shadow of the Colossus is like my third favorite game of all time and the remaster comes out on the 6th of February, so I'm gearing up for that, too). I think the game's largely fine at the moment. I just need some time to work on other stuff.