As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I think the crazy power I got hit with was Tomb Swarm

I saw one like legionary barrage or something? Spirit arrows from the sky about a unit wide just wrecks shit.

Just had a battle where I got wrecked because I took my eyes off my forces a second while the enemy approached, then came back to find about half my army decimated by something. Tomb Kings apparently have some monstrous army abilities.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think the crazy power I got hit with was Tomb Swarm

I saw one like legionary barrage or something? Spirit arrows from the sky about a unit wide just wrecks shit.

Just had a battle where I got wrecked because I took my eyes off my forces a second while the enemy approached, then came back to find about half my army decimated by something. Tomb Kings apparently have some monstrous army abilities.

If they hadn't nerfed clumping, TK could probably wipe every AI real easy. Send out Hierotitan, Sandstorm it, watch the bodies fly

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    In my enormous 3 on 1 trash battle I was real salty about not having any aoes available. I don't like the nehekara lore at all right now but maybe I'm doing it wrong

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The thing I love about TK is getting research bonuses just by expanding and building up. I can finally embed mages again!

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Tomb Kings econ is so weird

Unlike every other race in every other strategy game there are no REX downsides other than your ability to hold land with a limited number of armies.

Even other tomb kings like you more, the more swole you are!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Sigh, I lost 20 minutes because I found a new bug, apparently introduced in this patch - sometimes option to end turn is just greyed out, and it's impossible to save the game - the only way to fix this is to load the previous autosave.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    The thing I love about TK is getting research bonuses just by expanding and building up. I can finally embed mages again!

Their mages can't steal research anyhow they damage buildings.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I played a bit more multi on TK and great bows are basically a must bring unit, at the very least you can park it on their lord with that 250 range armor piercing. their infantry isn't bad either, dual wields and tomb guard perform pretty well against anything without armor and if they have armor your fodder holds long enough to kill it with ushibiti and scorps.

I haven't lost at all against wood elf or brettonia, the roster is so well suited for both cav heavy and archer heavy factions. all your fodder has silver shields and necrosphinxes dominate heavy cav

I kind of like tomb king infantry.

Most of it is not there to deal damage but it can hang around for a pretty long time while your other units get shit done

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    In my enormous 3 on 1 trash battle I was real salty about not having any aoes available. I don't like the nehekara lore at all right now but maybe I'm doing it wrong

It's not the greatest lore. Cursed blades and the protection spells are nice (though the protection spell sucks early on since you have few worthwhile things to cast it on), but primarily as a way of triggering the healing buff. Skullstorm hits hard, but it's unpredictable. The only really good spell is dessication.

In terms of utility it's generally on par with the post-nerf Lore of Death and Lore of Light (they don't get the same utility from the Net that the Imperials do).
    If you're lucky and have the Book of Nagash that grants Lore of Shadows within reach...grab that and never look back. Between Pendulum, Pit of Shades

P.S: Awakening new dynasties with the Mortuary Cult and then setting them raiding for massive income is so broken. It basicly takes no time at all to make back the money you spent, and by the time you can create new armies through the cult you probably have a lot of excess archers, carrion and possibly even Nekeharan warriors. Spend 30000 to gain an additional 1600 per turn income, yes please.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »

Their mages can't steal research anyhow they damage buildings.

Yes, that's actually the point I'm making

the spell I really like in nehekara MA/MD debuff. it's pretty big and hits both stats for a significant amount, you can really break a line with it

Jars wrote: »
    the spell I really like in nehekara MA/MD debuff. it's pretty big and hits both stats for a significant amount, you can really break a line with it

Usekph's Incantation of Desiccation. It's a good spell. Possibly one of the best Debuffs in the game with its duration, built in area effect and ability to really nerf a units attack into the ground if you overcast it.
    On the other hand it's the only really good thing that the Lore of Nekehara brings to the table (weeell, Righteous Smiting is super good on an Ushabti Great bow unit if you want to absolutely murderize an enemy giant monster).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    The spells are pretty decent and not overly expensive. Cool downs aren't terrible either.

@Tube when does the stream start?

we put it off to next week :(

Aw... Any particular reason why?

Time crunch on some projects. Thursday is the best day because we can use two computers since they're already set up for PUBG.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    When I used to play Warhammer fantasy 8th ed a friend used Tomb Kings and ran a chariot spam army.

It was brutal!

I do like the chariot in Warhammer Tot War, taken all the research's and lord buffs for Settra and they're surprisingly durable.

Not a big fan of the Ushabti, I prefer the sphinxes for their mobility.

SharpyVII on
    aw look at the little guys go

CWrkFmF.jpg

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    we put it off to next week :(

I was wondering, I tuned in to the channel at 2 and they were pubg'ing I thought I missed it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So is it just me or do Arkhan’s vampire units never get skill or tech upgrades? Is there much actual use for them outside of just giving some early game diversity until you get non-skeleton tomb kings units?

edited January 2018
    Honestly? Probably for flavour ad some diversity. I haven't tried him yet. Kinda surprised his lord specific skills don't buff Vampire units.

TheGerbil on
    I cannot beat this fucking lizardmen wood elf army. It's a hard counter to all my bullshit

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Even sans-upgrades Hexwraiths are ethereal cavalry with armor-piercing. So they will probably have used.

Aside from that, probably not too much. Crypt Ghouls are okay filler and have poison at least. Though none of his VC units interact with the realm of souls.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    I cannot beat this fucking lizardmen wood elf army. It's a hard counter to all my bullshit

Attack with two armies? Bombard them Great Bow Ushabti, Catapults and Caskets?

I think it's like a quest battle and you can only bring one. I can try bringing a second in and see how that goes.

• EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Tomb kings are amazing and terrible. Their starts can be crushingly hard and fairly boring but their good units are not only effective but a lot of fun to play with.

I think it's like a quest battle and you can only bring one. I can try bringing a second in and see how that goes.

You can also try taking the region they patrol in and using the sandstorm ritual. They have a very rigid patrol route and wont move out of that stuff...very cheesy but it works.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Arkhan the Black is my jam. Those vampire units are amazingly useful early on, and other than that it's just some nice flavor. Arkhan himself is good once you get him going, both support and offense. Also a competent warrior. I'm sure Settra is easier to use and probably a bit better since he's the faction's attack-move "rar I ride a big monster" LL but it's Arkhan against the world for me.

when he has his quest blade, and the default AoE resistance tome, he can stand in the middle of a pack, use his sword and the tome and heal up/buff everyone around him. The TK specific lore is good despite the few alternate opinions I've seen in here, it just isn't as diverse but as far as buffs and debuffs go, which is what you want as most TK, it's perfect.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?

If it's a Book of Nagash steal you can definitely bring two armies. Did I say steal? Meant "reacquisition of property legally and morally belonging to the Tomb Kings for all eternity".

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Arkhan the Black is my jam. Those vampire units are amazingly useful early on, and other than that it's just some nice flavor. Arkhan himself is good once you get him going, both support and offense. Also a competent warrior. I'm sure Settra is easier to use and probably a bit better since he's the faction's attack-move "rar I ride a big monster" LL but it's Arkhan against the world for me.

I haven't played Arkhan yet, the Dire Wolves he gets are undead lions, aren't they?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Frei wrote: »

I haven't played Arkhan yet, the Dire Wolves he gets are undead lions, aren't they?

I didn't even look, I used ghouls mostly, with bats to supplement my carrion. I'll have to check it out!

also, while we're still talking TK, the Casket of Souls artillery is great. Just... great art, great sound, amazing design. Crazy effective, too.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Doge sphinx or scorpion for anti infantry? Been going the scores because you can field more of them with the hero+building

• SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Nothing particularly exciting, just a shot of my chariot army that I thought was cool.
    inrzjBy.jpg

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    All the way in the back there, you can see one unit not following orders. I SEE YOU CHAD YOU NEVER LINE UP RIGHT!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    How do they play out in the Campaign? I remember reading that there was some sort of mechanic that prevented them from truly max expanding. is that still around?

Waffles or whatever on
    Waffen wrote: »
    How do they play out in the Campaign? I remember reading that there was some sort of mechanic that prevented them from truly max expanding. is that still around?

They can expand just fine. But you are limited in # of armies by research progress and units you can recruit by buildings. So for example the base infabtry barracks lets you recruit 4 archers.

They have no upkeep and their growth is slowish. So progress is more... methodical at the start.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Awakening Usirian's Legions as soon as possible makes the early game a lot easier. They give you much needed holding power until you can get higher level infantry and constructs.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

You can definitely bring two. I drowned them in spearmen in order to win. Also you don't have to kill them all. Just break them for army losses and squeak out a victory.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Doge sphinx or scorpion for anti infantry? Been going the scores because you can field more of them with the hero+building

*kitteh Sphinx

Sphinx are half Lion.

Maaan once you start getting them constructs, Tomb Kings are sooo raaaaddd

GIANT SCORPIONS and my artillery is the goddamn arc of the covenant

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.