As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

19495969798100»

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I made a sweet deal to sell off my excess food and then next turn cao cao took one of my farms and fucked me incredibly hard

Cao Cao backstabbed me two turns ago while my army was on the other side of the domain, and took my capital by assault. Fuck Cao Cao

the siege battle was fun, though, I like how buildings catch fire as enemy units pass them

Cao Cao backstabbed you?

Who could have possibly foreseen such an event?!

:razz:

Is there even a single one of the top warlords in three kingdoms that isn't into side-switching and backstabbing? I mean, Liu Bei pretends he isn't...but everyone seems to conventiently die to prepare the way for Liu Bei.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    now my cool tomboy daughter is upset because the general who died defending the city had been her friend since her first campaign

I swear on the honor of Yuan, I will tear out Cao Cao's eyes and throw him from the summit of Mount Wudang, that my precious Anyang may smile once more

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I made a sweet deal to sell off my excess food and then next turn cao cao took one of my farms and fucked me incredibly hard

Cao Cao backstabbed me two turns ago while my army was on the other side of the domain, and took my capital by assault. Fuck Cao Cao

the siege battle was fun, though, I like how buildings catch fire as enemy units pass them

Cao Cao backstabbed you?

Is there even a single one of the top warlords in three kingdoms that isn't into side-switching and backstabbing? I mean, Liu Bei pretends he isn't...but everyone seems to conventiently die to prepare the way for Liu Bei.

Certainly plenty of treachery to go around.

But Cao Cao in popular culture has the (infamous) distinction of being a cunning and deceitful Magnificent Bastard.

In the ancient plays the actor portraying Cao Cao would wear white makeup to signify his treacherous personality.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    My early Gongsun Zan campaign to get a feel for the game has run into a brick wall composed of Yuan Shao and his vassals. Thinking of starting over with the Sun family now that I have a basic idea of what I'm doing.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Didn't figure I would go for Three Kingdoms because I like all the fantastic units from Total War: Warhammer, but I'm liking a lot of what I hear. Particularly the robust diplomacy system, since my number one biggest complaint about Warhammer is that non-aggression pacts, trade agreements, and military access are like the only worthwhile agreements. And even then non-aggression pacts and military access agreements aren't THAT worthwhile.

So might grab 3K and hope they add some of these improvements to WH3.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    shalmelo wrote: »
    My early Gongsun Zan campaign to get a feel for the game has run into a brick wall composed of Yuan Shao and his vassals. Thinking of starting over with the Sun family now that I have a basic idea of what I'm doing.

On Legendary at least the Sun always seems to be the last boss since they blob over the entirety of south east China. I haven't checked it out yet but it seems like one of the easier starts to run away with.

The north east in contrast very crowded. Almost all the major factions start up there. The cities up north are more developed though.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular

The game is likely glitched. Yuan Shao should not be able to vassalize everything he sees. CA is "aware" of this and is asking for save files to see what's going on. It does make the game a bit one sided when he can maintain a four stack standing army.

I actually restarted my Cao Cao campaign (again) and am focusing on trade and spy networks, with agriculture providing the backbone of my economy again.

. . .also something that I hadn't seen; if you've got excess Public Order, turn that into taxation profit. I didn't realize there was a dedicated button for this, and just assumed it was static and fixed.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited May 2019
    ED! wrote: »

The game is likely glitched. Yuan Shao should not be able to vassalize everything he sees. CA is "aware" of this and is asking for save files to see what's going on. It does make the game a bit one sided when he can maintain a four stack standing army.

I actually restarted my Cao Cao campaign (again) and am focusing on trade and spy networks, with agriculture providing the backbone of my economy again.

. . .also something that I hadn't seen; if you've got excess Public Order, turn that into taxation profit. I didn't realize there was a dedicated button for this, and just assumed it was static and fixed.

I think its just that every vassal he gets snowballs his alliance strength level which is part of what the AI uses to determine whether they should submit or not.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    the subtitles don't reflect this, but apparently the Chinese-language voiceovers always refer to the nation as "All Under Heaven" rather than "China", which is a nice touch

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kind of simple diplomacy always worked fine for me in Warhammer, cuz shit, it's warhammer, the whole draw is the crazy outlandish battles, that's obv what the team's gonna invest their time into. I'm gonna end up fighting everyone eventually anyway.

3K combat isn't as delightful or varied as what you get in warhammer, but it's also obvious that CA invested a whole lot of time on the campaign side of things. It's really the first ever TW game I've played where the campaign aspect really feels like it stands on its own.

Also now I have a 3 day weekend, so time to really nerd out and try to get deep into a campaign

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Yeah my game has devolved into Yuan Shao and I duking it out in central China with his 10 vassals. It suuuucks

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Cao Cao backstabbed you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpJ37ulsnk

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Only way that could be better is if it was dub'd with Zoidberg's "Woop woop woop".

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I definitely want all this diplomacy added to war hammer

For some reason though, the battles in this shit looks absolute fucking toilet tier which is bizarre and I can’t figure out what’s wrong

I definitely want all this diplomacy added to war hammer

For some reason though, the battles in this shit looks absolute fucking toilet tier which is bizarre and I can’t figure out what’s wrong

Are you playing Records or Romance? Romance has more vivid colors, Records has a more washed out palette like Attila

I've found the battles look pretty muddy even on Romance which is a shame because they feel real good. Also I think they did some stuff to Ambushes which make them feel way better from the attackers end.

IZF2byN.jpg

the filter depends on the season, battles in summer look very nice imo. But then again I thought WH2 looked like ass

someone will mod that pretty soon i imagine

ED! wrote: »

Is it Yuan Shao as a faction? or just him as an individual, because it's not fun fighting his doomstacks

IZF2byN.jpg

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Am I right in thinking I should be heavily focusing every province on one particular kind of economy eg peasant commerce or industry

This is what I've been doing and it's been working so far

On the other hand this kind of means you're kinda screwed on defense if you don't build any watchtowers (the only building that provides additional garrison troops which kinda sucks) if you don't also have an army there to defend your shit, plus there are some reforms that require you to build specific buildings to even develop them

There are also some buildings that seem kinda useless, or don't provide enough benefit (the branch of farm stuff that costs you food but gives you more peasant income, also some commerce buildings don't feel as useful)

Oh, can we talk about the reform system?? Because I actually really love it! No more fucking around with bumping up your research to go down some tech tree, now it's a literal tree that you get a new branch on every five turns! It's very elegant, keeps everyone at the same pace, and feels more like a skill tree where you spec into different branches rather than just hitting the next "get better swords" tier

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    My armies are all 50% archer militias. They're so cheap and good.

}
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    If you really stack it, I reckon you can get some absolutely silly peasant income from doing the -food/+peasant income one, then Shu's +peasant income/-public order, then all the usual stuff. Yeah, you're in the hole for food, but you'll have so much dosh and then just go keep a few other 'normal' commanderies.

It's a bit of a build wide strategy since you don't have the food available to upgrade tall.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking I should be heavily focusing every province on one particular kind of economy eg peasant commerce or industry

This is what I've been doing and it's been working so far

On the other hand this kind of means you're kinda screwed on defense if you don't build any watchtowers (the only building that provides additional garrison troops which kinda sucks) if you don't also have an army there to defend your shit, plus there are some reforms that require you to build specific buildings to even develop them

There are also some buildings that seem kinda useless, or don't provide enough benefit (the branch of farm stuff that costs you food but gives you more peasant income, also some commerce buildings don't feel as useful)

Oh, can we talk about the reform system?? Because I actually really love it! No more fucking around with bumping up your research to go down some tech tree, now it's a literal tree that you get a new branch on every five turns! It's very elegant, keeps everyone at the same pace, and feels more like a skill tree where you spec into different branches rather than just hitting the next "get better swords" tier

Unless you're a Yellow Turban faction, in which case you have a more traditional Total War tech list that you research from.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

On Legendary at least the Sun always seems to be the last boss since they blob over the entirety of south east China. I haven't checked it out yet but it seems like one of the easier starts to run away with.

The north east in contrast very crowded. Almost all the major factions start up there. The cities up north are more developed though.

This is pretty much where my Sun Jian campaign currently is. I fought off Liu Bei and Yuan Shu (fucker turned on me) long enough to scrap up some (kind of shitty for me, I had to give up my best farm province) peace terms, and am now going through the southeast mopping up the Han Empire commanderies. I’m starting to snowball my wealth, generating like 1.7k money a tun right now.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    ok new thread time make new thread

geth close the thread

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.