As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Hi! I'm a Marvel..." "And I'm a DC."

HiredGunHiredGun Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Graphic Violence
Someone on youtube did a parody of the Mac vs PC commercials, with none other than... Spidey and Superman, representing Marvel and DC. It's actually pretty funny.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7rp2f2OcCpQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ytqV6GEHW24

Some more:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=av6fWfmugds
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LvFjo5TTY6c

Enjoy.

HiredGun on

• Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Anyone seen this yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av6fWfmugds

Pretty funny, its a take on the Mac ads with Marvel and DC.

Movie Rumors and Ideas

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    See, I thought they where pretty much as annoying as the originals.

"See, Marvel/Apple rocks, while DC/PC's are stupid."

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Marvel is way more together about their films than DC though. This isn't even up for debate.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Video games too

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Who would have thought limiting the power of your fictional characters would have long ranging repercussions in various forms of business and creativity.

Superman
    Green Lantern
    Flash

Spider-Man
    Iron-Man
    X-Men

I think science proves that the dash makes all the difference.

graizur on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    Who would have thought limiting the power of your fictional characters would have long ranging repercussions in various forms of business and creativity.

Superman
    Green Lantern
    Flash

Spider-Man
    Iron-Man
    X-Men

Iron man can control all forms of technology with his mind.
    Some of the x-men can remake reality. One can regenerate himself from a single drop of blood.
    Spider-man has precognitive abilities that were just boosted to kinda ridiculous levels, in addition to basically being the avatar of Anansi, the god of spiders and being a douchebag. Well, god of tricks and whatnot, but he is a total asshole.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Superman
    Green Lantern
    Flash

Spider-Man
    Iron-Man
    X-Men

Some of the x-men can remake reality. One can regenerate himself from a single drop of blood.
    Spider-man has precognitive abilities that were just boosted to kinda ridiculous levels, in addition to basically being the avatar of Anansi, the god of spiders and being a douchebag. Well, god of tricks and whatnot, but he is a total asshole.

Yeah but that is not the very definition of their characters. Come on! You can figure this stuff out for for yourself. You want me to sit here and argue with you all day?

graizur on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Considering the amount of money WB has made off of the character of Superman I don't see them crying about it anytime soon.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The first one is great, but they're really dissing Superman specifically, not DC. Certainly not Batman. And I'm on board with that, Superman blows.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some of that was pretty good, some of that was actually way MORE annoying than the Mac vs. PC commercials.

And what's wrong with liking Marvel AND DC?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Some of that was pretty good, some of that was actually way MORE annoying than the Mac vs. PC commercials.

I actully though the first was decent, worth a chuckle anyway. The 3 more that said pretty much the same thing where a bit much though.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    The first one is great, but they're really dissing Superman specifically, not DC. Certainly not Batman. And I'm on board with that, Superman blows.
    Go out and read Superman: Birthright.

Now.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Everytime we discuss good Supes stories I have to mention

"Look up in the Sky"

Super-Man: Red Son

Son of Superman

In that order I find them to be good.

graizur on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    what about All-Star

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I liked the "I'm Batman" ones.

"Oh, you lost your parents at an early age? That's a shame, I had them until I was 8, when they were SHOT TO DEATH IN FRONT OF MY FACE."

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Superman
    Green Lantern
    Flash

Spider-Man
    Iron-Man
    X-Men

Plus the point of DC, as has been stated like 30 fucking times, is that it's more like Greek mythology where Gods walked among men and solved/caused problems for regular humans, but regular humans worship them, whereas Marvel is a more "realistic" and fearful society who isn't too keen on a team consisting of a drunken tank, a frozen soldier, a hot green chick who can benchpress a building, and an archer beating on guys who turn into sand, or control magnetic fields.

On top of that, DC seems to be more about superhuman people dealing with human problems, and Marvel is vice-versa.

Both have their merits (Batman, Superman, Spider-man and the Hulk being some of the most iconic characters ever), both have their demerits("Power Girl is an Atlantean! I mean a kryptonian! I mean alternate-dimension Supergirl stuck in this dimension!" "Captain America is out of touch because he doesn't visit Myspace! Iron Man was just trying to help us by being a dick and starting a war! Let's fire the Hulk into space with an unstable rocket!")

But I will admit, the first link was pretty funny.
    "What did you get?"
    "...I got a rock."
    "...Well...at least it can kill you."
    "Yeah, I guess that's something."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Marvel is way more together about their films than DC though. This isn't even up for debate.

I emphatically agree.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I emphatically agree.
    Together=Organized.

Which they are, they have a shitload of films coming down the pipe, many of which will probably lead-up to the Avengers movie.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I emphatically agree.

Hey now.
    Let's not get crazy.

;-)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    what about All-Star

greatest Superman stories ever

Did by the guy Quesada ran off

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I emphatically agree.
    Together=Organized.

Which they are, they have a shitload of films coming down the pipe, many of which will probably lead-up to the Avengers movie.

Which would be great if they can sustain a consistently high level of quality, but if all they're giving is quantity then they're not all that together. Frankly comic-book movies across the board are still pretty hit or miss.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    Just like movies in general. And comics in general. But Marvel as a business is kicking DC's ass at the box office. And in comics too, come to think of it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I emphatically agree.

Hey now.
    Let's not get crazy.

;-)

Certainly not. We're all sane here.
    Geebs wrote: »
    Just like movies in general. And comics in general. But Marvel as a business is kicking DC's ass at the box office. And in comics too, come to think of it.

If sales determined quality, Fords wouldn't blow goats.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I emphatically agree.

Hey now.
    Let's not get crazy.

;-)

I'm actually kinda shocked you didn't point out the old Captain America movie.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I emphatically agree.

Hey now.
    Let's not get crazy.

;-)

I'm actually kinda shocked you didn't point out the old Captain America movie.

I thought about it, and the old Spider-man and Hulk TV shows. Although the Dolph Lundgren Punisher was awesome.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heh, saw them a little while back.

Didn't agree with the self-enclosed story message, but god did I also fail to approve of the Superman Returns... issue.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh god, not another one of these threads...

Anyway, Marvel is more agressive and successful with their movies on the whole, which I think we can all agree with. And the pretty much have to be, since they're not owned by Warner Brothers, and the movie business helps out the comics business. This sucess doesn't mean that DC doesn't have compelling characters or stories or that Marvel is necessarily superior. The most it says to me is that the Marvel stories translate very well into other mediums, that they're putting the right people on the projects, and that they're partially benefitting from the (wrong) perception that DC's characters are old-fashioned and out of date. I think DC can totally change that if they start making movies out of the stories that are constantly being referred to around here, like Dark Knight Returns, Birthright, Kingdom Come, etc. If they're going to play the mythical story card, they need to start producing these types of movies.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Nothing I like them both

It's the fanboys that are the problems

also these video leave out that DC is THE most importnat comicbook publisher ever

Action Comics #1
    Watchmen
    DKR
    Vertigo

for outweigh everything MARVEL has done combined

Algertman on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Nothing I like them both

also these video leave out that DC is THE most importnat comicbook publisher ever

Action Comics #1
    Watchmen
    DKR
    Vertigo

What do you mean by important?

And why does everyone have such a hardon for DKR? Jesus, Watchmen alone invalidates the need for DKR.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Here's the list of announced Marvel films that are being made.
    * Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) (20th Century Fox)
    * Dr. Strange (2007)
    * Iron Man (2008) (Marvel Studios)
    * The Incredible Hulk (2008) (Universal Studios)
    * Ant-Man (2009) (Marvel Studios)
    * Captain America (2009) (Marvel Studios)
    * The Avengers (Marvel Studios)
    * Black Panther (Marvel Studios)
    * Cloak and Dagger (Marvel Studios)
    * Deathlok (Paramount Pictures)
    * Doctor Strange (Marvel Studios)
    * The Gargoyle (Columbia Pictures)
    * Ghost Rider 2 (Columbia Pictures)
    * The Hands of Shang Chi[6] (Marvel Studios)
    * Hawkeye (Marvel Studios)
    * Iron Fist
    * Luke Cage (Columbia Pictures)
    * Magneto (20th Century Fox)
    * Nick Fury (Marvel Studios)
    * Power Pack (Marvel Studios)
    * The Punisher 2 (Lions Gate Films / Sony Pictures Entertainment)
    * Spider-Man 4 (Columbia Pictures)
    * Sub-Mariner (Universal Studios)
    * Thor (Marvel Studios)
    * Werewolf By Night
    * Wolverine (20th Century Fox)
    * X-Men 4 (20th Century Fox)

and here's DC
    * Stardust (2007)
    * The Dark Knight (2008)
    * Watchmen (2008)
    * Aquaman (film) Aquaman] (2007)
    * The Spirit (TBA)
    * Wonder Woman (TBA)
    * The Flash (TBA)
    * Death: The High Cost of Living (TBA)
    * Y: The Last Man (TBA)
    * We3 (TBA)
    * Doom Patrol (TBA)
    * Superman: The Man of Steel (2009)
    * Green Lantern (TBA)
    * Shazam! (TBA)
    * Super Max (TBA)
    * Deadman (TBA)
    * Metal Men (TBA)
    * Justice League (TBA)

While the quality of the movies per company is pretty much equal, there have been great movies, and there have been abominations. Marvel is, however, more organized with their films than DC is, and is making much more money at the Box Office.

In comics, their quality is pretty much equal, with Marvel on top in sales.

Notice something similar?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Heh, saw them a little while back.

Didn't agree with the self-enclosed story message, but god did I also fail to approve of Superman Return's... issue.

I never saw X3 nor Superman Returns. I only saw Elektra because it was fun to look at. I haven't seen the new Punisher because I don't think it will make me laugh nearly as much as the old one. I probably will see that one eventually, though. And then I just have something personal against Spider-man, but I'm not the only one so I don't feel I need to defend that.

Honestly I just wish all of them would lean harder on quality, particularly non-retarded qualities. It can be done, I'm sure of it.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Nothing I like them both

Action Comics #1
    Watchmen
    DKR
    Vertigo

And why does everyone have such a hardon for DKR? Jesus, Watchmen alone invalidates the need for DKR.

Because it used an established charecter

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Notice something similar?

That in both instances Marvel is doing a little more and doing a little better. Both in movies and in comics. More people are enjoying/paying for Marvel product then DC product.

This isn't by coincidence. With the success of DC's Batman and Batman Returns Marvel tried to duplicate that with their own movies but Hollywood fustrated them to no end. The powers that be decided to stop screwing around and take their business serious and this current success of Marvel over DC, their compitition, is the result.

Marvel deserves their current success. DC deserves to be second in comic sales and the Box office.

graizur on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Nothing I like them both

Action Comics #1
    Watchmen
    DKR
    Vertigo

Because it used an established charecter

And character assassinates a similarly important established character.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    But with Marvel movies, you have at least 6 different studios working on them so more than one can be made at once. All DC movies are Warner Brothers, so I doubt they'd say, "Hey let's pour billions of dollars into these three superhero movies right now"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You can defend DC all you want but unless you pull millions of dollars out of your pocket and give it to DC you aren't going to make it so that they aren't doing as well as Marvel.

graizur on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not defending anything. I'm just pointing out facts.

DC could make amazing movies if they actually cared to do it right, but they don't.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Nothing I like them both

Action Comics #1
    Watchmen
    DKR
    Vertigo

Amazing Fantasy #15
    Secret Wars
    Fantastic Four #1
    The Death of Captain Marvel

Both have amazing landmark stories, neither company can really top one another quality-wise.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A marvel landmark is hard to do since their stories are constantly socially relevant.

graizur on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    I guess I'm just a little surprised there haven't been anything other than rumors and false starts for characters like the Flash and Wonder Woman. Mainstream readers know who these characters are, and the movies would probably make tons of money. Instead, there was a long stretch, basically after Batman Returns, where DC did nothing respectable at the movies, and when they did, they had to basically apologize for how shitty the Superman and Batman franchises had gotten.

I don't know, when Marvel can take a character like Blade and make a decent movie out of them while making a great deal of money, it becomes harder to defend DC in this.

And well, I know success at the box office isn't the only measure on how each studio is doing, but look at how well Spider-Man and X-Men have done compared to the new Superman and Batman movies. Marvel has to be doing something right if they can keep making this kind of money off their franchises. Granted, those two didn't do poorly by any stretch of the imagination, but neither one really made the major splash they should have.

I mean, it's basically pretty simple. Marvel, at the moment, is making the right decisions with their movies, and DC is kind of a mess. And you can argue about the quality of the movies for as long as you want, but not only is that entirely subjective (well, not entirely, it's basically irrelevant.

And I don't want to sound like a Marvel fanboy, because I'm really not. There have been plenty of shitty Marvel movies, many of which I don't want to even bother seeing. But Marvel's simply been doing a better job at getting more movies out, and a fair number of them have at least been entertaining. I really don't see how this is really even an argument, at this point, no matter how good Batman Begins or Superman Returns were.

DJ Eebs on