Options

100 Pages of [PODCAST] Thread We'll Never Get Back

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    There's an attorney at my office here named Richard Bone

Technically it's called the baculum

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Huh, Amory Score does not like the mid-section of Second Stage Turbine Blade, but that stretch from Delirium Trigger through Neverender is what I consider the strong part of the album.

It's also the most detached from the story so maybe that's part of it.

Yeah I was surprised at their ratings on that stretch but it makes sense when you realize they’re there for the solid pop jams and not so much the noodly unstructured prog stuff.

Plus, starting with the next album they get better at even giving the prog stuff some structure.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hot take: naming kids after fictional characters is fine. "Khaleesi" is a pretty name, even if it's actually a title.

All names are pretty fuckin' stupid when you think about it. I mean I'm named "Adam" for Christ's sake.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Hot take: naming kids after fictional characters is fine. "Khaleesi" is a pretty name, even if it's actually a title.

All names are pretty fuckin' stupid when you think about it. I mean I'm named "Adam" for Christ's sake.

Hah, look at this dork named Adam!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    talk about being named after fictional characters I'm named after the ORIGINAL ONE

hah take THAT Christianity

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I want to let everyone know that San Antonio is the home of an attorney by the name of Glenn J. Deadman

are you sure it's not "Glenn J., Deadman"

are you sure you don't live near WWE Superstar, Kane

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    my name is pest vargas

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    talk about being named after fictional characters I'm named after the ORIGINAL ONE

hah take THAT Christianity

I think my buddy Gil might have a thing or two to say about that

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

For the most part that's true, but ...unique... names can create baggage for a kid and that's something parents should really take into consideration and sometimes don't.

Lord knows kids found enough excuses to pick on me as it was, I can't imagine how miserable I'd've been if I'd had some obvious pop culture reference name.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

For the most part that's true, but ...unique... names can create baggage for a kid and that's something parents should really take into consideration and sometimes don't.

Lord knows kids found enough excuses to pick on me as it was, I can't imagine how miserable I'd've been if I'd had some obvious pop culture reference name.

I think that’s dying out to a degree. Not bullying, that will always be around, but more and more kids seem to have unique names these days and that makes it far less noteworthy. At least in my area.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I was under the impression it is popular to name children after tools and plants

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I was under the impression it is popular to name children after tools and plants

Never talk to my son Tractor ever again.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    whitebread biblical names are the most boring shit and I kinda bristle a little whenever people get mocked for naming their kids Sephiroth or Thor Pudlik.

they still have a cooler name than you.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I’m against naming your kids after recent pop culture stuff but also I named myself after a Wario Ware character.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I will absolutely name all of my children with ridiculous classical mythology names (or maybe Shakespeare bullshit), so I really can't pass any judgments

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Can he still play with 5/6’’ Hexagonal Socket Wrench Tip and Grandidier’s Baobab?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I’m against naming your kids after recent pop culture stuff but also I named myself after a Wario Ware character.

You lucked out because you could do that stealth-mode without any societal baggage. Wario fans can't pull that off so easily

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

You lucked out because you could do that stealth-mode without any societal baggage. Wario fans can't pull that off so easily

Who weeps for all the unborn Crygors?

sig.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Omunique is a silly name but on the other hand do we really need any more Jessicas?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Also the difference between giving a kid a name they could seemingly be made fun of for and picking your own name is very different

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Can he still play with 5/6’’ Hexagonal Socket Wrench Tip and Grandidier’s Baobab?

I heard they screwed OId Man Power Drill's house, they're bad influences.

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

I heard they screwed OId Man Power Drill's house, they're bad influences.

Yeah, Phillip was pissed about that

• Options
    whitebread biblical names are the most boring shit and I kinda bristle a little whenever people get mocked for naming their kids Sephiroth or Thor Pudlik.

I very strongly disagree about anyone being named Sephiroth being cool.

Also there are societal advantages to having a so-called "boring" name that you are essentially denying your kid in order to be "cool". It's not a pet it's a human being that has to live with the dumb stuff you saddle them with. Look at all the children of hippies who are bitter about being called Waterfall or whatever. A lot of people don't want that baggage.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

... 9-Volt or 18-Volt?

• Options

... 9-Volt or 18-Volt?

Mona P. Zahh

• Options

I very strongly disagree about anyone being named Sephiroth being cool.

Also there are societal advantages to having a so-called "boring" name that you are essentially denying your kid in order to be "cool". It's not a pet it's a human being that has to live with the dumb stuff you saddle them with. Look at all the children of hippies who are bitter about being called Waterfall or whatever. A lot of people don't want that baggage.

Yeah it’s kinda scary how hard the numbers show it’s way easier to get a job if your name is John than Expelliarmus.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Occasionally I try to convince my partner that our first child should be named Stark Rogers.

She's...not buying it.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

... 9-Volt or 18-Volt?

Mona P. Zahh

Orbulon

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

yeah but wherever she goes, if you listen carefully, you can hear
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb1hiHeXINM

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The key thing I think of when I'm thinking about using unusual names is, "What do I call them?"

Like, my name is Gregory. Nobody calls me that, and nobody ever really has. Now this is partially because I dislike it, but it's also because my parents always called me Greg. It's an easy name to shorten, and it has an established shortening method, so it just happens all the time.

Now if you're looking at some more unusual names, you gotta figure out what those short names are gonna be there. Take, for instance, a name I had considered using for a child previously, Reynard. That shortens down to Rey, which is a homophone of Ray, an established name. That makes it nice and easy. But if you were to look at like, Odysseus (another name I have previously considered, let's be real), what do you do for that? Odd? That seems like a kind of cruel name to give a child, to begin with, and will definitely stick out in an environment with a number of other "normal" names.

• Options
    My real name is King K. Rool

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    anyway I'm naming my kid Bastionfucks.com

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The key thing I think of when I'm thinking about using unusual names is, "What do I call them?"

Like, my name is Gregory. Nobody calls me that, and nobody ever really has. Now this is partially because I dislike it, but it's also because my parents always called me Greg. It's an easy name to shorten, and it has an established shortening method, so it just happens all the time.

Now if you're looking at some more unusual names, you gotta figure out what those short names are gonna be there. Take, for instance, a name I had considered using for a child previously, Reynard. That shortens down to Rey, which is a homophone of Ray, an established name. That makes it nice and easy. But if you were to look at like, Odysseus (another name I have previously considered, let's be real), what do you do for that? Odd? That seems like a kind of cruel name to give a child, to begin with, and will definitely stick out in an environment with a number of other "normal" names.

Yeah if it's a "technically it's this on the birth certificate but everyone just calls them ___" it's usually fine. If your kid's name is Samus but everyone calls them Sam, I will probably want to give you a noogie but otherwise it's fine.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    with the proliferation and mainstreaming of nerd shit, all the vanilla-name kids are gonna be the ones on the outs in the future

except chrises of course, marvel will ensure chrises are always doing okay

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I don’t know how to spell my middle name

which has led to some LOOKS at the DMV and other government organizations

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Everyone should just change their name when they turn like 10.

• Options
    with the proliferation and mainstreaming of nerd shit, all the vanilla-name kids are gonna be the ones on the outs in the future

except chrises of course, marvel will ensure chrises are always doing okay

Glad to know I can always just default to my middle name in a time of crisis

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Everyone should just change their name when they turn like 10.

But then everybody’s name would be Minecraft

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

Is there... anyone you can ask

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

D A N G E um.. hang on...

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.