As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm old, and I don't get Bitcoin [Cryptocurrency and society].

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Right now there's a LOT (IMO) of pent-up demand, but it's all predicated on/waiting for prices to fall to non-stupid levels. I trust - I hope - the manufacturers are aware of that.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i gave up and bought an xbox one x instead because they kept the prices too high for too long.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Assuming they lower prices and this doesn't become the new normal :(

I give them one more quarter of not even coming close to hitting forecasted revenues and they'll dial it back some.

iirc they always expected this and planned for it

I mean not that Wallstreet cares but the card manufacturers knew this was a fad

so where's my 380 dollar 1070 level card then? nvidia used bitcoin as an excuse to pop the prices up and leave them there.

My guess is Nvidia doesn't want to tank it's stock price by suddenly dropping prices by hundreds of dollars because despite the fact that they've been pretty open with investors that this isn't going to last that's exactly what would happen because Wallstreet is really fucking dumb sometimes.

Like when they pumped millions upon millions of dollars into crypto or even just companies that vaguely implied they might have something to kind of do with crypto.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I don't think Nvidia is going to drop prices until they are actually forced to by competition; this is obviously something they lack right now. It's why they can get away with charging $1300 at the high because nothing competes with them at the high end (or the mid-high range, or the mid range, or the mid-low range, etc.).

And thanks to the extreme stupidity and variability that is cryptocurrency, it could very well turn around and 2019 could end up being a repeat of 2018.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The peg aren’t real* and are mainly there as a method to manipulate BTC and other floating coin prices

*in that an actual peg requires monetary policy to enact and so requires a second instrument through which you can reissue/remove the pegged currency.

?
    I have wondered how well or otherwise it would work, if you created a coin that was tied to a bank account, and you deposited $1 into the account for each coin mined, whilst offering to at any time buy any coin for $1 and I guess sell whatever reserve you had for $1.01.

You would think that would work but it requires you to well, actually do that. And actually doing that is hard because it requires you to be highly liquid and produces no profit. You have to have the money to put into the account and the net to you is the cost to mine plus a dollar.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The peg aren’t real* and are mainly there as a method to manipulate BTC and other floating coin prices

*in that an actual peg requires monetary policy to enact and so requires a second instrument through which you can reissue/remove the pegged currency.

?
    I have wondered how well or otherwise it would work, if you created a coin that was tied to a bank account, and you deposited $1 into the account for each coin mined, whilst offering to at any time buy any coin for $1 and I guess sell whatever reserve you had for $1.01.

You would think that would work but it requires you to well, actually do that. And actually doing that is hard because it requires you to be highly liquid and produces no profit. You have to have the money to put into the account and the net to you is the cost to mine plus a dollar.

The net profit to me is the cost to mine less a dollar per coin on the chain, there being more blocks than coins supported by coin-based miners fees.
    Plus whatever incidental cents I make in onselling coins from people who have cashed out through me.
    Plus whatever profit I get from my starting coins themselves.

The question is by maintaining the branch by not honouring forks I don't like, and by putting sufficient capital into the holding account to peg the chain to, whether I can create a stable coin that delivers enough profit to miners whilst still being non-speculative and usable by the general population.

What would likely happen is people would not want to pay the fees required to get miners to mine their blocks, and just revert to Visa or some other lower cost intermediary.
    Assuming they even trust me to not just run off with the peg.

discrider on
  • Options
    I don’t understand how those things you claim make profits make profits...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I don’t understand how those things you claim make profits make profits...

Yeah. Banking on initial coins increasing in value doesn't work when you've pegged the value.

Don't know then.
    Guess you'd need a government or otherwise not-for-profit organisation to seed the chain.
    Which was really what I expected anyway to guarantee the continued availability of the peg.

discrider on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of effort is being spent that would be better put to other uses

Like, the wheel

Let's have another go at that

Maybe make it more wheely

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Now introducing WheelCoin(TM)!

• Options
    Wheelcoin:
    http://sketchtoy.com/68813604
    The wheel deal

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Wheelcoin:
    The wheel deal
    Get a piece of the pi!

You'll come around eventually.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Wheelcoin:
    The wheel deal
    Get a piece of the pi!

The next revolution in cryptocurrency.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Wheelcoin:
    The wheel deal
    Get a piece of the pi!

Well, at least this one isn't a pyramid scheme.

• Options
    Wheelcoin:
    The wheel deal
    Get a piece of the pi!

Or is it?!

Dun dun duuunnnnnn

(It totally is)

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Assuming they lower prices and this doesn't become the new normal :(

I give them one more quarter of not even coming close to hitting forecasted revenues and they'll dial it back some.

iirc they always expected this and planned for it

I mean not that Wallstreet cares but the card manufacturers knew this was a fad

so where's my 380 dollar 1070 level card then? nvidia used bitcoin as an excuse to pop the prices up and leave them there.

My guess is Nvidia doesn't want to tank it's stock price by suddenly dropping prices by hundreds of dollars because despite the fact that they've been pretty open with investors that this isn't going to last that's exactly what would happen because Wallstreet is really fucking dumb sometimes.

Like when they pumped millions upon millions of dollars into crypto or even just companies that vaguely implied they might have something to kind of do with crypto.

Wallstreet also doesn't look kindly upon companies knowingly refraining from increasing profits. It's not gonna be a sudden drop, but the stock price is also going to drop if they start losing money. A company making and selling graphics cards needs to be selling those cards.

Wallstreet is neither dumb nor smart. Particular investors might be, and a hype can overvalue a stock, but the market is going to get back to what it thinks is the right value for a stock from a graphics cards manufacturer. a bunch of investors are going to lose a lot of money for being the last sucker, but that always happens.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

Nvidias stock is tanking because of the bad press around the 20** launch. Initially on the benchmarks and price/performance. There are also a lot of rumors surrounding bad yields, and speculation that Nvidia shipped with higher tolerances for chips than previously which resulted into the high failure rate.

10** are currently increasing in price again because the market is recognizing they are better value than the 20** equivalent, and rumor is those production lines are closing down.

It leaves the GPU market a real mess.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

Nvidias stock is tanking because of the bad press around the 20** launch. Initially on the benchmarks and price/performance. There are also a lot of rumors surrounding bad yields, and speculation that Nvidia shipped with higher tolerances for chips than previously which resulted into the high failure rate.

10** are currently increasing in price again because the market is recognizing they are better value than the 20** equivalent, and rumor is those production lines are closing down.

So you're saying buy AMD?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Their best card is a tad weaker than a 1070, and eats double the watts.

The GPU market sucks. Intel is stepping into it, hopefully it brings some competition back.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Wheelcoin:
    The wheel deal
    Get a piece of the pi!

Or is it?!

Dun dun duuunnnnnn

(It totally is)

We should circle back to the geometry puns

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Also, CUDA.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wheelcoin:
    The wheel deal
    Get a piece of the pi!

Or is it?!

Dun dun duuunnnnnn

(It totally is)

We should circle back to the geometry puns

Are you calling me a square, daddio?

• Options
    DerryckDerryck Registered User regular
    Well, looking at the Bitcoin price cash, I guess we don't need to invest more time in trying to understand cryptocurrencies. 8-) :D

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

The GPU market sucks. Intel is stepping into it, hopefully it brings some competition back.

That at the end of the day is the problem. Nvidia has no real competition.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Meanwhile Bitcoin is currently trading at $3,650 or so.

Is this the final death spiral or are there still enough hopeful left for one last dead cat bounce?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    once it hits $100 a coin it'll probably recover back up to where it is now until people finally realize it has no point and isn't going to make them money because it was never designed to

then it might actually stand a chance working as a currency, but the deflationary nature of crypto means as time goes on it's going to be less and less used over real dollars unless you need to launder money

The real meat and potatoes is to not treat crypto as something to be mined, but use it something like Ithica Hours or Khols Cash.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    once it hits $100 a coin it'll probably recover back up to where it is now until people finally realize it has no point and isn't going to make them money because it was never designed to

then it might actually stand a chance working as a currency, but the deflationary nature of crypto means as time goes on it's going to be less and less used over real dollars unless you need to launder money

The real meat and potatoes is to not treat crypto as something to be mined, but use it something like Ithica Hours or Khols Cash.

Bitcoin in particular is never going to be usable as a currency, it's just way too poorly calibrated for that.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Bitcoin in particular is never going to be usable as a currency, it's just way too poorly calibrated for that.

It miiiiiight work if it were somehow just limited to a country the size of, say, Lichtenstein, but worldwide it can't stay at that small a size and remain viable.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So you're saying I can get portions of a Bitcoin for every $15 I spend on clothes and jewelry I don't need?

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It miiiiiight work if it were somehow just limited to a country the size of, say, Lichtenstein, but worldwide it can't stay at that small a size and remain viable.

No. Every country needs some amount of inflation

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

No. Every country needs some amount of inflation

This. You need inflation because the economy is constantly growing, if only because more people are joining the economy (population growth). Deflationary currency simply does not work, partially because it encourages hoarding currency because the currency itself gets more valuable over time. For an economy to function properly you need inflation to keep investment flowing into the economy instead of money being taken out of the economy and stuffed in mattresses.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    https://breakermag.com/trapped-at-sea-with-cryptos-nouveau-riche/

This popped up on Hacker News recently. It's entertaining in the way that a good storyteller can make a car wreck entertaining. I don't know that there's a lot the author finds here that's dissimilar to regular Silicon Valley at it's core, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

This popped up on Hacker News recently. It's entertaining in the way that a good storyteller can make a car wreck entertaining. I don't know that there's a lot the author finds here that's dissimilar to regular Silicon Valley at it's core, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I really enjoyed the series of articles that was written by another journalist about one of these Crypto Cruises. This one is also delivering.
    After his event, the attendees mob the aisles to get closer to their heroes—entirely ignoring the “beautiful ladies” who the host tells us have just taken the stage for the “women in blockchain” panel. It’s a shame, because they miss moderator Olga Feldmeier’s summation, delivered in a pitch-perfect Russian lilt: “Being a woman in blockchain,” she says, “is like riding a bicycle. Except the bicycle is on fire. And everything is on fire. And you are going to hell.”

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Nvidia and AMD are both about 50% off of their 52-week highs, at least partially because they both warned about slowing cryptocurrency mining demand in their Q3 statements.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

I really enjoyed the series of articles that was written by another journalist about one of these Crypto Cruises. This one is also delivering.
    After his event, the attendees mob the aisles to get closer to their heroes—entirely ignoring the “beautiful ladies” who the host tells us have just taken the stage for the “women in blockchain” panel. It’s a shame, because they miss moderator Olga Feldmeier’s summation, delivered in a pitch-perfect Russian lilt: “Being a woman in blockchain,” she says, “is like riding a bicycle. Except the bicycle is on fire. And everything is on fire. And you are going to hell.”

Oh. It delivers all the way through
    If he was anyone else, I would suspect Pierce was trolling this entire community to see how long he could talk like the back of a smoothie bottle before getting slapped

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Oh. It delivers all the way through
    If he was anyone else, I would suspect Pierce was trolling this entire community to see how long he could talk like the back of a smoothie bottle before getting slapped

Another great line:
    John McAfee has never been convicted of rape and murder, but—crucially—not in the same way that you or I have never been convicted of rape or murder.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

So Razer has launched a scam to get people to mine for them and in exchange their miners will be compensated with worthless Razer bucks. The Razer bucks have a store value less than the cost of the electricity you used to mine for them and they expire in a year so you can't accumulate enough to get anything.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    [Michael Scott NO].GIF

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So Razer has launched a scam to get people to mine for them and in exchange their miners will be compensated with worthless Razer bucks. The Razer bucks have a store value less than the cost of the electricity you used to mine for them and they expire in a year so you can't accumulate enough to get anything.

To be fair this has also been true for Bitcoin for quite awhile now, as I understand it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    That smells illegal

This discussion has been closed.